No newbie channel is really stupid

You know, I want to enjoy this game, and I want to be able to learn this game, but I've been floundering around for about a month and have somehow managed to get to level 34 but I still know NOTHING about the game at all, and I can't ask anyone because the newbie channel doesn't work for me anymore.

That is the most idiotic design I've ever come across in a MUD and it makes things 90% harder as someone new to the game when it shouldn't even be a factor. I'm sorry to be blunt but how am I meant to ask questions and learn when I LITERALLY am unable?

Comments

• the Newbie channel should not be deactivated for you, even if you are past a circle when portals are disabled. I think the only time you are muted from Newbies is if you have done something real bad, but I can be wrong. Give it another shot and use it again?
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    IIRC it is still level-based, unless it changed. Given how mentor-hood is based off of hours-played, access to newbie should probably function in a similar manner.
  • Ah, well if this is the case, feel free to try to speak with most people in the basin you see using QW, if your city has unavailable man power to entertain you. As a community we often are more than open to help people as a general rule, specially if you explain that you are new or just plain confused.

You can specify if the question is even out of character, and people normally either supply with their answers, or refer you to other people if they cannot.

• You can get help from your org with CGT or CT, most people answer newbie questions via it as well. Of course, there are less people than in the newbie channel, but the chances of someone who knows your skills and what you're talking about is much higher - people outside of your org won't be able to help you with some things anyway.

• Also if you're concerned about needing to ask a question that's too ooc for cgt, you can always either do 
    CGT Is there someone I could ask some questions of? 
    and then move the conversation to tells with an OOC tag, or take a look at CGW and just send a tell to any teacher/GA you see listed.

(I agree that NEWBIE being disabled can be quite frustrating. These are more in the line of suggestions for getting the help you need in the meantime)
  • Which they have, but lately it's sort of been like pulling teeth to get anyone to reply in Magnagora. I logged in to play the other day and there were a good 6 people standing around, I did the whole city and guild greeting thing on the channels and no one replied within like 15 minutes so I logged out. I thought going AFK was against the rules, but apparently not, so I still like the resource of having the newbie channel available.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord

Azula said:
    the Newbie channel should not be deactivated for you, even if you are past a circle when portals are disabled. I think the only time you are muted from Newbies is if you have done something real bad, but I can be wrong. Give it another shot and use it again?

Once you get over level 30 (used to be 20), you lose access until you qualify to be a mentor. It does not make a lot of sense though, a person at level 34 can still be a newbie.
  • Alseid said:
    Which they have, but lately it's sort of been like pulling teeth to get anyone to reply in Magnagora. I logged in to play the other day and there were a good 6 people standing around, I did the whole city and guild greeting thing on the channels and no one replied within like 15 minutes so I logged out. I thought going AFK was against the rules, but apparently not, so I still like the resource of having the newbie channel available.
    If everyone replied to everyone who said "Hi", they'd get nothing done.

If you have a question, just ask it. Someone will answer you if they know the answer. If not, then yes, feel free to tell them they're being jerks. But bear in mind those are players who want to play the game too, not bow and scrape like a front desk service line person greeting every one who walks through the door.

• Lerad said:
    Alseid said:
    Which they have, but lately it's sort of been like pulling teeth to get anyone to reply in Magnagora. I logged in to play the other day and there were a good 6 people standing around, I did the whole city and guild greeting thing on the channels and no one replied within like 15 minutes so I logged out. I thought going AFK was against the rules, but apparently not, so I still like the resource of having the newbie channel available.

If you have a question, just ask it. Someone will answer you if they know the answer. If not, then yes, feel free to tell them they're being jerks. But bear in mind those are players who want to play the game too, not bow and scrape like a front desk service line person greeting every one who walks through the door.

True, but my point is that there was nothing going on, they were standing at the nexus, and I wanted to roleplay so I tried to initiate some, it didn't happen, so I logged out. I'm used to people at least throwing a greeting out there. Sorry.
  • Well, yeah, afk at the nexus is a problem, so it's not like your complaint is baseless. Maybe try poking them more than once, though, they could be just chatting in tells or clans and would respond to a more direct interaction.

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Step 1) Woa. Relax. 

Step 2) Ask on CGT

Step 3) Browse the forums and help files for answers.

Step 4) Ask on forums. 

If you have any questions, you have the attention of several players, so ask away! Sorry if the newbie channel bit is frustrating, that is what the collegiums were designed for. If you were unable to get a response for whatever reason, try again later, or pursue another avenue. 

Not responding to generic ct and guild greetings isn't necessarily a sign of AFK. Though sometimes some people are definitely AFK (even at the nexus when we shouldn't be), but people are people. They are doing their own thing sometimes. Try again later. If you specifically want RP, inquire on the forums for people who want to RP. Sometimes breaking into the RP cliques can be difficult. 
  • Yeah, like Celina said, you have some attention now, so you can definitely fire out any questions you have right here. Sorry you've had a frustrating experience.
  • edited March 2016
    Alseid said:
    Lerad said:
    Alseid said:

True, but my point is that there was nothing going on, they were standing at the nexus, and I wanted to roleplay so I tried to initiate some, it didn't happen, so I logged out. I'm used to people at least throwing a greeting out there. Sorry.
    Tonight. You.

Edit: And by that I mean if I see you around hit me for RP.
  • Alseid said:
    I feel so bad now.

Because I heard you greet the city and thought, for a split second, oh hey it's Als should I say hi? but I was so caught up with other stuff :( I'm sorry. Why didn't you yell at me?D:

• Othero said:
    Alseid said:
    Lerad said:
    Alseid said:

Tonight. You.

Edit: And by that I mean if I see you around hit me for RP.
    nO I WANT TO RP WITH HIM

• Yarou said:
    Alseid said:
    I feel so bad now.

Because I heard you greet the city and thought, for a split second, oh hey it's Als should I say hi? but I was so caught up with other stuff :( I'm sorry. Why didn't you yell at me?D:

Cause quite honestly, the silence kinda made me feel like people didn't wanna be bothered, but now I know, I'll be aggressive next time!
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    It really is flawed that people are kicked off newbie (you get it back when you are considered a mentor) when there is every likelihood they may still need it from circle 30 - 50. @Ieptix is this something that could be changed? Is there a reason to bar people from the channel?

• Alseid said:
    You know, I want to enjoy this game, and I want to be able to learn this game, but I've been floundering around for about a month and have somehow managed to get to level 34 but I still know NOTHING about the game at all, and I can't ask anyone because the newbie channel doesn't work for me anymore.

That is the most idiotic design I've ever come across in a MUD and it makes things 90% harder as someone new to the game when it shouldn't even be a factor. I'm sorry to be blunt but how am I meant to ask questions and learn when I LITERALLY am unable?

Losing the newbie channel so quickly was also a bit rough for me...
    If Skein or Spindle come on you can still send them tells but... they're not on too often x.x
    beep
  • I think they recently did a call for more guides so hopefully we'll see them on more often!
  • Falmiis said:
    Losing the newbie channel so quickly was also a bit rough for me...
    If Skein or Spindle come on you can still send them tells but... they're not on too often x.x
    Schedules are skewed. They're on when the newbies aren't and vice versa -- or so it seems :(

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Knew I should have applied.
  • I have to say though, the reception to this thread has been really positive and people have sent messages offering to help me in game if I need it, and frankly, that makes me feel so much more secure in playing.

I definitely expected a reception of "Well you're level 34, you should know what you're doing," and you know, maybe I should, but I don't. I've literally floundered my way to where I am.

There was also a time I logged out while flying and logged back in with a concussion and thought my internet was broken because commands didn't go through. There should really be more information on that mechanic, just as a side note. I almost stopped playing because I thought it was incurable and I was just screwed.

• ...yeah, I don't think you really start playing this game until you're demigod, these days. I've still got questions some 10 years after starting. Definitely no need to feel bad. Complicated game is complicated.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Thul said:
    ...yeah, I don't think you really start playing this game until you're demigod, these days. I've still got questions some 10 years after starting. Definitely no need to feel bad. Complicated game is complicated.

*sits at level 91, whistles innocently*
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • @Ieptix - that will be a huge help. I def had similar issues, up through level 40-50 or so (play time's tough because it's both fast and slow at the beginning. Fast as in some of the initial newbie style tasks are accomplished faster than actual knowledge adjusting to the game, and slow because just sitting and reading through the gazillion files ends up counting against you because it times you out of newbiehood faster than you're actually making legitimate progress). 
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    A way to instantly end your novicehood and a way to end the tutorial early would be great too. Hint, hint.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • can we just make newbie available to everyone
  • Ieptix said:
    We'll be updating the newbiehood status in the next day or two to be determined by a combination of both level and play time, instead of just level.

Chirbo said:
    can we just make newbie available to everyone
    ...is there any particular reason to not do what Chirbo says..?

...I don't think newbies should be penalized for leveling quickly, if that's one's playstyle...
    beep