What keeps you coming back to Lusternia?

So I've been in the MUDding community for about 12 years, and there are a million MUDs out there to cater to every taste, style, and theme out there, so I'm wondering, ASIDE FROM THE MONEY YOU HAVE POSSIBLY SPENT ON THE GAME, what keeps you coming back?

In my time MUDding I've spent a lot of time in different places, and put a lot of effort into different MUDs, and I was always told to avoid IRE MUDS because they were about "making money" and not really about the player, but I've found after many hours in the early days of Midkemia, that IRE MUDs tend to be very involved and constant, so I keep coming back to them. I also have a friend who has spent years in Aetolia, and she told me that Lusternia is the first IRE MUD started by a female, which is a major part of why I personally play, because I love women in power who go for what they want in a primarily male dominated world in general. That's just part of why I personally have decided to make Lusternia my new home. I don't mind spending what little money I have (I recently beat homelessness) on a game I enjoy, so what brings you here, and makes you stay? Features, roleplay, do you even roleplay, the combat, the community? Break it down for me because I'm interested in what makes this game popular.

Comments

• RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    I'm going to throw this link in here for you to browse through:

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• Rancoura said:
    I'm going to throw this link in here for you to browse through:

Thank you!
  • Masochism.

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I actually don't know why I'm still here.

• Name me another game where you get to design a gigantic superweapon and then get to use it to destroy a mountain. :D
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • In a way you could say boredom. You could even say a longing for something that Lusternia (when you're involved in the right ways) provides that nowhere else really can (admittedly, Aetolia's pretty good too, though).

I'm not 100% what "got" me really, but I guess it helped that I started playing when I was young, dumb, and full of the inability to separate myself from my characters. I was 14, at the time, and Lusternia wasn't altogether too far out of beta. I had been playing Achaea first (having been directed there by tech tv), and an IG friend told me to try out Lusternia. Honestly, my first impression of Lusternia was that it was incredibly simplified compared to Achaea. Jesus shit, I was wrong. 

I actually started out as a Serenguard, with the misguided attempt to play a "neutral warrior." Somehow or another, I wound up being a Secretary due to the graces of at-the-time-GM Alyssandra. That was probably the dumbest decision she ever made, making a green 14 - 15 year old a Secretary. But honestly? I think that level of involvement in something is what hooked my pubescent self. It gave me a place where my awkward, unusual, semi-depressed self could kind of unload and be involved in something greater, an actual fucking fantasy that you could have a say in. Long story short on that, I did a bunch of guild and org hopping and quit playing for awhile.

I'm not sure what made me come back, but that's when I started Tynghall as a Lucidian Blacktalon. Glom was a great experience, especially characters such as Nyir and Ried (still not sure what happened to Nyir, exactly, but if I read between the lines correctly, you are missed) who helped me find a decent foothold in the BT and helped me to create some changes and culture. From there? Mag. I still kind of regret having Tynghall leave it, as it and the characters were absolutely positively -amazing- at the time when Tyngh was coming up. Fain, too, was particularly influential in me sticking around on Tynghall. 

Nowadays, I find the most joy in RP, as well as helping newer players getting acquainted. I guess the threat of cool druidic RP is what's keeping me coming back right now.
    come2mag
  • Usually the people, considering the last hiatus I had last a couple years and someone sort of convinced me back.

And others have since convinced me to stay by being super awesome and friendly.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    The people, the story, the admin. I also had the good fortune to start out in Hallifax when it was a baby org, so I feel somewhat invested in how it's grown over the past 6 years.

Regarding your point about money, I actually don't spend much on Lusternia; if you participate in bardics or artisanals, you can make out like a bandit.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Or make sure you hit the promotions that provide good bang for your buck.
  • I'm addicted and I can't stop for some reason
  • 100% the community and this goes for all IRE's MUDS, not just Lusternia. It was so hard for me to leave Achaea because at age .. what, thirteen or so, that was one of the MUDs I cut my teeth on.

I'm sixteen now and I still feel like I'm cheating on Achaea with Lusternia >.> But I can't imagine switching back. At least, not right now. Maybe sometime in the future, who knows? I doubt it, though.

• Same for me, the community. Also the fact that I avoid combat, which is a burnout factor for many
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I think anyone who's been playing for 5+ years is inevitably going to include "the people". There are some design elements/concepts that are pretty unique to Lusternia in Glomdoring and Hallifax, which have kept me more anchored there, but if all the right players suddenly went inactive, then eh. There wouldn't be much to look forward to on log-in.
  • It's definitely harder to stick around for me now that most of my inner circle is gone. Being on wicked opiates doesn't help either, since I do and say things I regret 75% of the time.

But underneath all that, something is still there, making me peek in every now and again when I can. I'm not sure what it is exactly. I just love this place.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    edited March 2016
    I've been through extreme frustration the short time I've been here. But I've also had a lot of very joyful moments and I think 'the people' is always a good answer. Though, for me it's also:

- An active administration that has a section that is providing an RP opportunity in a changing worlds ( gods )
    - A system that doesn't follow clichee good/evil (every org I've seen so far got it's skeletons in the closet, most of them being huge )
    - A world that is changing often and expanding.
    - characters that are not just 'bland slates'. While we have some bland slates, most characters I've encountered were fleshed out, alive and not 'hero's'.
    - the deep lore.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • The Lore/History, and the way everything has these interconnecting hooks to everything else. Including random areas that initially just seem fun. There's sooo many plot-threads woven everywhere.

The quests are involved, mostly fun, and provide really nice and intriguing rewards

The fact that every nation can craft a compelling, believable narrative of their righteousness, and why those skeletons in the closet totally deserve to be there.

The Divine RP and Their soap opera romances, friendships and hatreds. (During my early attempts at playing I was once witness to a snarky shoutfest between Eventru, Terentia, Lyreth and.... Morgfyre? It was glorious)
  • @mjoll Kidnapped my child and won't return him if I don't play occasionally.
  • I did what? o.o
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    edited March 2016
    logical, since you are everybody, @Shaddus. So you kidnapped yourself? so that you play more? that's very weird.

Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • edited November 2018
    -
  • Money investment mostly, I feel bad not playing what I paid for.

but Chirbo

Alseid said:
     ASIDE FROM THE MONEY YOU HAVE POSSIBLY SPENT ON THE GAME, what keeps you coming back?

I don't care
  • Commitment to Glomdoring and Manteekan are the only reasons currently. I have lots of alts but I find it very boring when I login their as there is no commitment. For me it is easy when I don't want to play...I just sever the commitments and walk away.

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• For me... just the small niche of people I socialize with, because other than that, nothing else motivates me anymore to do anything worthwhile my attention/effort in Lusternia these days. I have been considering retirement a bit lately, but..... I'll see how things pan out still.
  • the drama.
  • i lied, the playerbase sucks. the only thing that keeps me here is the idea of future vengeance upon my foes.