Ideas for Envoys

CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
edited October 2012 in Ideas

Sometimes we run out of idea (I've got one more the the queue before I'm out of ideas) for our guilds, and could use a little help.

Share some of your ideas for envoy reports!

Comments

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    This is going well.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Idea: An envoy report generator.

It can suggest skills that are not used often by the playerbase, for review purposes!
  • edited October 2012
    Well, here's one.

I've mentioned it before, but I would love to see a 24th rune implemented into the Runes skillset. Lusternia's runes are based on the Elder Futhark, and we have one missing from the set: Thorn (or Thurs/Thor/Thurisaz). From a roleplay perspective, I'd love to see it added to the game.

Report 607 was suggested to help pre-allergy Druids keep their opponent still -- they, more than those who chose other Druid tertiaries, had difficulty holding opponents in their melds. That's not such an issue anymore since the Druid special report was implemented.

However, Runes is also the tertiary least chosen by Mages. TP and TK are apparently better (or so I've been told - I've never played a Mage). While I think Runes for Druids is fine as it is, is there an opportunity to add an affliction or effect to the skillset that would primarily complement Mage combat? (Of course anything that's going to be implemented would affect how a Druid would use the skill, but there are some runes that suit certain melds over others).

The effects of Lusternia's runes are typically aligned with the Elder Futhark meaning. For example, rad means 'travel', cen means 'enlightenment' (the opposite being stupidity), isa means 'ice' (stillness), daeg means 'day' (faerie fire). Thorn, this missing rune, means 'giant', or 'powerful force' (in Futhark the meaning is literally 'thorn' or 'self-protection').

So... I don't know what the shortcomings of Runes are for Mages, but some ideas that suit the theme of the rune might be:
    • Damage to health
    • Reduce strength of opponent (enfeeble)
    • Some damage done by victim is rebounded (justice)
    • Weakness
    • Prone (was rejected in report)
    • Sleep (was rejected in report)
    Consider that runes can be slung, double-slung, fused into demesnes and used in prophesies. I would consider fusing to be where the greatest effect from the rune would be found.

tl;dr: new rune that is Mage-centric, rather than Druid-centric, to improve viability of the skillset compared to TK and TP!
  • I approve of this thread! But my fingers refuse to agree or like any post from my dearest Celina. :P 

One thing that annoys me is that you can make brewmeister malts teas and so forth in batches of 10 just like alchemy but you have to brew them one at a time.

This makes the process take 10 times as long instead of just a more reasonable twice as long.

This is an outrage that my gigantic sense of entitlement will simply not allow!

It annoys me that when smithing, the fire in the forge does not go out as long as you are using it, but when cooking the fire does not care and douses itself just as you are whipping up a savory batch of cookies or tarts.

Stupid mercury mumble mumble.
  • edited February 2014

• edited October 2012

The new guilds have plenty to work on but some of old guilds are pretty well squared away. After getting Necroscream a new power this last round, there is right about zero chance of getting anything else in it for rl years.

Hyperactive will be changed or we are going to start storming server closets 99% style! But it's being addressed.

Glamours and tarot are pretty solid.

Recent attempts to change common skills have been shot down or met with harpy grade vitriol.

So yes, some of us are indeed scraping the barrel.

Hey, if people want ideas, I'm happy to provide 'em!  It's not something I'm ever going to envoy myself, but it is something that is a nuisance during the rare occasions I am baking for Tacita & Lyora.
  • edited October 2012
    STARHYMN - ANGELICHOST

Syntax: STARSONG CALL ANGELICHOST ON <target>
    Power: 4 (Pool of Stars)

Requires: At least five of the following songs-
              LoveCanticle
              HopesCarol
              MercifulSanctus
              CrusaderCanto
              LightCantata

Sing this song and you will summon an angelic host to trumpet your songs, even
    through a foe's deafness. You will lose three stanzas in the process.

Retarded, useless skill is just that.

Have at it.

Glamours could use a flare change. The whole afterimage mechanic is terrible.

Cantors can envoy that themselves. That's super guild specific and I leave the Cantors defend any buffs to themselves.

• What's wrong with flare? o.O

It sucks. You have to use it twice in a row and consume power just to use anything in glamours more than once or twice.  Colourburst and such are garbage without afterimage, only setting up after image means you halt doing anything else just to get an afterimage.

It's been a huge issue I've always had with glamours.

• I never have much of an issue with it. Don't forget that you are trading off a difficult skill to pull off against what is potentially a HUGE affliction burst.
    Er, glamours affliction potential is pretty small. Not even masked. Plus most bards (everyone not SS) really can't capitalize on affliction spam at all, but if you want to keep your crappy skills I won't stop you!
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited October 2012
    It's not small if you don't have sixthsense up, which by the way is down for 26 seconds on flare...
    Yes it is. I've fought with and against glamours a ton, and unless it's an SS with that off eq thing and the small damage bump from rainbowpattern, the entirety of glamours is offensively inconsequential. It really just contributes nothing to bard combat. It does not mesh in any form. Oh no, you just got hit with 3 unmasked afflictions from a very small pool of possible affs, maybe 2 more passively...and then you realize that the bard has just dumped power and time into sticking afterimage and a few afflictions only to halt his only viable kill method completely. 

That being said, I'm not a bard, and if bards think it's fine, I'm certainly not going to bug them about it. No reason to champion a cause that doesn't affect me.

• KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Actually, I have a suggestion. I would love to see Warriors have the option to use a syntax for power attacks in maneuvers, similar to how monks can use the + for boosting. Warriors are limited to significantly less maneuvers (12 total?) in comparison to monk forms (dunno off the top of my head, but it's a stupid number), and so making maneuver variations specifically for power attacks is not really viable due to the low total limit. As it is now, I coded in changing the maneuver action to lunge, performing the maneuver, and then having to change the maneuver action back to normal so I could get this utility while not sacrificing other maneuvers. There would need to be a check whether a power attack is feasible (i.e., can't use lunge on a swing action) coding-wise, but that shouldn't be a significant deterrent. If I was submitting this as a report, I guess I would offer the syntax option as Solution 1, Solution 2 would be to increase the total amount of maneuvers to account for the possibility of power attacks, and Solution 3 would be a combination of 1 and 2. Solution 3 would be nice, guessing especially for other specs, since there are now the different viable variations for swing-based affs. I dunno how many maneuvers other folks use, but what I want exceeds the limit, even with my rigged maneuver action change.

Envoys take pity?? ^:)^
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited October 2012
    Hrm. Personally I use a total of maybe 5 maneuvers, and that's probably more than I need on a regular basis. That also includes the power attack version of things.
  • What do you possibly need all those maneuvers for?!  :-O (Haha, these emotes.)

Make BC crushleg prone!

And 8-}, for good measure.
  • Celina said:
    Er, glamours affliction potential is pretty small. Not even masked. Plus most bards (everyone not SS) really can't capitalize on affliction spam at all, but if you want to keep your crappy skills I won't stop you!
    When under an afterimage, with song effects hitting, the rate can get pretty crazy. Add in some blackout to the mix and things can get interesting. I certainly don't think we're bad off.

I like Kelly's idea. though my vague understanding of the warrior code from bits and pieces from what Roark has said over the years...is that it is super hard to alter. Not entirely sure how possible that is.

From a combatants perspective, I have never even given glamours a second thought in a fight. In our fight, I don't think I even noticed if I had them or not. However, I'm okay with glamours if you are Draylor! For other bard specs that don't lean on the cantor damage button it would be nice to see the tertiary have some real application like tarot and ecology.

• KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    I like my maneuvers! But coding-wise, I dunno, I doubt it would be hard to implement. Maneuvers came after the original code, anyway.

(It took me a solid minute to find the smileys button. Why so lonely?)
  • Dunno. What trades don't have figurine or construct specialities? I figure that could sustain you for several months.
  • Brewmeister could use some figurine/miniature love.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Bryna said:
    Brewmeister could use some figurine/miniature love.
    Idea I immediately had that may or may not be any good: Maybe you could choose to give them a chunk of tea leaves, and white/green/black/oolong tea have different (minor) effects? Green makes them speedier, black makes them take less damage, white makes them gain more experience from winning, and oolong makes them lose less for losing? And they could only be holding one type at a time, and it gets consumed over time like sparkleberries do. 

Or if that's too complicated (probably) you could go the simple boring route and do something like get them drunk to up the amount of hits they can take.
  • Usually each trade has its own figurine/construct specialty. I would imagine you would need to review what is already implemented, and suggest some new & unique mechanics.
  • Cask-aged miniatures?
  • Let dreamwalkers move through wooden doors unimpeded - psychmet does this by going "slightly out of phase." Why can't the fully phased do it?
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited November 2012
    Dreamweaving could do with less void in dreambody and a whole lot more utility. 

I fought as a glamours bard, and found that outside of the basic hindering potential of hypnoticpattern and the defense provided by illusoryself, there was little of active use to be found in the skillset. Same holds with acrobatics too, really. Bards are 'momentum' based, having to chase after earwort balance to keep from having the majority of their effects nullified, so the weak affliction potential of both skillsets leads to their active skills seeing little general use. While some of the effects are situationally useful, they are disproportionately hard to use and/or random for the time it takes to fully use them. 

In short, flare being changed to work like blanknote would be a good change. However, the chance on maze should be toned down, to compensate for the increased ease of keeping someone sighted. Partial power loss on failure seems appropriate.
  • Stealth could definitely use some envoy loving. Almost 3/4ths of its skills serve no useful beneficial purpose, and even less manage to do so well. I understand that the skill theme intended to encapsulate 'sneakiness', however in Lusternia there is absolutely no benefit from such behavior. In comparison to a strong utility and combat secondary like Harmony, Stealth really falls short.

As such the blowgun skills are one of the worst offenders, truly serving absolutely no beneficial purpose in the hands of -monks-. I'd like to suggest making darts a bit more useful, by allowing darts to pierce and break shields when they hit for a power cost, or to launch multiple darts at once for a power cost.