Magnagora Faction Draft - Focus Concept

DrocillaDrocilla Member, Gods Posts: 430 Divine
In this proposal we arrived at a concept that gives each faction a "focus", namely the world, the city, and the self. Many ideas being tossed around here and in the clan suffered from pigeon-holing the types of players that might be attracted to them (warrior, scholar, artist) and this is something we must avoid. Ideally, one must be able to picture any of the classes in any of the factions as well. 

The way factions are split is integral to the city's overarching roleplay too and if each faction pulls in a different direction for the same goal, you will have created cliques that are in opposition. Conflict is all well and good, especially in Magnagora, but an organisation constantly divided is one that does not progress. It's a delicate balance to strike and in this proposal I believe we have managed to avoid that pitfall - there is room for conflict but, overtly, each faction is part of the Engine as a whole.

The names of the factions will play a crucial role in shaping them so the names used below are placeholders, used only to try to convey the potential gravitas of each faction. If you think of a scholarly organisation, different things come to mind when you name it a College, and different when it is called a Society of some sort. It defines the roleplay that will exist within that faction, the relationships between ranks, the interactions both internal and external. The second faction, presently known as the Society, is the one that still needs the most polish and fine-tuning in so far as its direction and focus is concerned.

The Iron Hegemony
================
  • Goals: "Damnation and Dominion over All", conquest of the Basin, bring all beneath the Supreme Master Luciphage's heel, expand the borders of Magnagora, spread its glory to all
  • Themes: Conquest, Damnation, Undeath, Propaganda
  • Members: preachers, militants, seditionists, orators, infiltrators, ambassadors, the common soldier, writers of propaganda, bards singing battle hymns or glorifying Mag
  • Appeals to: Nihilists, ur'Guard; Geomancers (esp. with Geomancy); Ninjakari (esp. spies), Cacophony
----------------------------
The Iron Hegemony is the dreaded organisation spreading Magnagora's influence all over the Basin. Bent on conquest and domination of all beneath the banner of Magnagora, the Hegemony is known for its ruthless approach to war: they will not only murder, ravage, and pillage; but burn down libraries, tear down paintings, desecrate holy icons, raise the fallen as undead minions, and finally institute Magnagoran law and customs upon all. Magnagora is the only civilized place and all else must be brought beneath its tainted influence or destroyed. Their extensive spy network operates beneath notice while their honey-tongued preachers and fierce seditionists dazzle the minds of common long folk before the dreaded banners of the indestructible undead army even crest the horizon.

The Society
==========
  • Goals: Victory through Suffering/Sacrifice (Nifilhema, Jagrerox)), progress and transformation, personal loss leads to personal gain; to push boundaries, reject taboos, moral ambiguity in research
  • Themes: Research, Steampunk, Torture, Necromancy, Taboo, Transformation, Progress
  • Members: mad scientists, scholars, artists, greedy bastards (also secretly greedy bastards), bored curious aristocracts, zealots, wicked priests
  • Appeals to: Nihilists (esp. Baalphegar, Gorgulu, Nifilhema); Geomancers (esp. with Geochem), Ninjakari, Cacophones, masters of Necromancy
The Society is where all knowledge is celebrated, all ambition is embraced, and power is granted to those who are worthy and willing to pay the price. Not for the weak of heart or those fallible to ideals of morality imposed by spineless conformists found elsewhere in the Basin, they embrace those who fear not walking the thin line between tainted madness and discovery. By flickering candlelight they delve in antediluvian, progressive, and forbidden magicks: sacrifice a limb to gain a more powerful one (Geochem), apply a corset-weave to your arm to master discipline (Nifilhema), dabble with the forbidden to discover long-forgotten secrets (Necromancy), push the boundaries of science. Here is where the best minds of Magnagora scheme and plot, where torture and blasphemy is but a tool, where those who wish to improve and become "truly Magnagoran" flock.There is no good or evil here, but freedom from morality that binds lesser minds. For Magnagora, for progress, for victory and forbidden knowledge, there is no chasm they won't willingly plummet into.

The Cabal of Damnation
===================
  • Goals: Spiritual, philosphical, cultural development, preservation and protection of Magnagora
  • Themes: Nihilism, Secret Police, Cultural Dominance, Spirituality, Progress
  • Members: politicians, priests, artists, writers, scholars, common folk, spies, defenders, artistocrats
  • Appeals to: pretty much everyone
The Cabal is the heart and soul of the Engine, focused entirely on its inner workings: ensuring all cogs and gears work in concert. Spiritual leadership is of highest import here, teachings are passed down from Nil and Earth to the common serf so that he too heeds the teachings of the Demon Lords and pays obeisance for Their gifts. The Cabal focuses on Magnagora as a whole: its well-being, progress, preservation of its culture and ways; never letting it stray too far from its leading ideals and goals. Beneath this pious facade operates the secret police that ensures Magnagora stays on course: they are the bane of the corrupt that stand in the way of progress, the converts who cling to foreign symbols, the nobles who plot against each other to Engine's detriment, and those who blaspheme and are lost in their ways. There is only one future for Magnagora and the Cabal knows what it is.

Comments

• FioreFiore Member Posts: 4 Novice
    Ooh. Regardless of it being the most unpolished, the basic premise of the Society looks like such a good fit for Fiore that I'm actually excited to eventually join it.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here Member Posts: 3,216 Transcendent
    From an outsider perspective, I think these look great.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • CyndarinAscendsCyndarinAscends Member Posts: 1,461 Transcendent
    I think these look fantastic. 
  • DylaraDylara Member Posts: 1,287 Transcendent
    Looks like a great base to work with. All the best to Magnagora :)

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• AlaksanteriAlaksanteri Member Posts: 462 Fabled
    I absolutely love this!
  • TynghallTynghall Member Posts: 102 Adept
    Decisions, decisions...
    come2mag
  • LeradLerad Member Posts: 2,396 Transcendent
    I don't like the word "Cabal", but that's only because I'm jealous (and because it won't fit with the Glomdoring theme, so I can't yell "dibs!").

• AlaksanteriAlaksanteri Member Posts: 462 Fabled
    SOCIETY FTW

*war cry*
  • DrocillaDrocilla Member, Gods Posts: 430 Divine
    Lerad said:
    I don't like the word "Cabal", but that's only because I'm jealous (and because it won't fit with the Glomdoring theme, so I can't yell "dibs!").

I feel you. I had the use of "cabal" pre-planned for an Order thing but when I tried it out for that faction, I couldn't unsee it. RIP Cabal of Dissonance.
  • LavinyaLavinya Former Queen of Snark AustraliaMember Posts: 3,354 Transcendent
    Morgfyre's inner circle is 'Inner Cabal of Legion'. (You jelly?)

• OtheroOthero Member Posts: 832 Virtuoso
    So which one is actually the spanish inquisition?
  • KalnidKalnid Member Posts: 395 Virtuoso
    Cabal. You expect the Hegemony and the Iconoclasty doesn't care what you're doing.
  • DrocillaDrocilla Member, Gods Posts: 430 Divine
    Cogs in the Smog. Nobody expects that.
  • NiloferNilofer Member Posts: 32 Apprentice
    Anyone notice how two pairs of linked covenant guilds makes two guilds, and then having a fifth guild brings the total up to three?
    Sarcastic sniping out of the way, I do like these setups for things, but I am curious where the influence of the current guilds is in them all, or, lacking that, if there are plans for preserving remnants of the current 'feel' of things? Ancilliary/sub-organizations supportedly IC, or, as was brought up on the original thread a lot, museum-ing existing guildhalls for historic purposes?
  • ZarialleZarialle Member Posts: 97 Adept
    Preserving pieces of the old, current guilds is on our Ideas wish list, yes.

Whether it's possible, permissible or whatnot - we do not know yet. But it was voiced already and on the radar, yep!
    Zarialle's first dance:
    Trader Bob leads Zarialle through the dancers to the dance floor and brings her all the way to its heart.
    Just to point out: What is permissible or voiced or already being tracked doesn't matter. It's not a question of IF things will be preserved, it's a question of HOW.
  • CynaCyna Member Posts: 63 Adept
    Whelp. Time to join the Cabal I guess.
  • SylvanasSylvanas Member Posts: 264 Expert
    I don't like Hegemony or "The Society". But I will deal.

(The Iron Authority?)
    Flames erupt from the caldera below as a distorted voice echoes, "Their spirit must be broken if they wish to be reborn as true warriors."
  • OtheroOthero Member Posts: 832 Virtuoso
    I love the name Hegemony but Society is a bit weak. I know that one has been looking for a new one. 

I personally love Hegemony because it expresses what the new group is meant to be. Just swords and boots on the ground isn't enough. Magnagora needs to take total cultural and military control of the basin.
    We haven't had much more discussion or further ideas for Society... anyone else out there Magnagoran or no, have some thoughts?? 

@Sylvanas - I think the last time we discussed adding "Iron" to things it may be redundant, especially if we are going with Iron Hegemony? Unless you were suggesting Iron Authority in its place?

Most of my ideas for Society have not been great - this faction was based loosely around the Institute but we didn't want to use that either because it may be confused as being part of some revivival of the Institute and it's not meant to be.

Zarialle's first dance:
    Trader Bob leads Zarialle through the dancers to the dance floor and brings her all the way to its heart.
  • WeiwaeWeiwae Member, Gods Posts: 442 Divine
    Zarialle said:
    We haven't had much more discussion or further ideas for Society... anyone else out there Magnagoran or no, have some thoughts?? 

@Sylvanas - I think the last time we discussed adding "Iron" to things it may be redundant, especially if we are going with Iron Hegemony? Unless you were suggesting Iron Authority in its place?

Most of my ideas for Society have not been great - this faction was based loosely around the Institute but we didn't want to use that either because it may be confused as being part of some revivival of the Institute and it's not meant to be.

Just a random thought, but how about, "The Forbidden Menagerie" ?
    edited July 2016
    Yay a commenter! :)

I dunno, for me, Menagerie brings to mind images of circus animals. And our scientists may be slightly crazy or insane, but they're not -that- bad! ;)

I like the use of Forbidden in the name somewhere. Since even for Magnagora some of what I envision the Society faction doing could be considered bordering on the "Forbidden". 

Would it be too Raezon-esque though?
    Zarialle's first dance:
  • SylvanasSylvanas Member Posts: 264 Expert
    Zarialle said:

Iron Authority wasn't a serious suggestion.

I'm pretty happy with "The Cabal of Damnation". I can deal with the Iron Hegemony. I'm not a huge fan of the word Hegemony.

Throwing out a few ideas for a replacement term for hegemony:
    The Iron Dominion
    The Iron Assembly

I will totally deal with hegemony though, but the Society must be replaced with something else. It's too blah and generic.

And for The Society:
    The Forbidden Camaraderie?

Flames erupt from the caldera below as a distorted voice echoes, "Their spirit must be broken if they wish to be reborn as true warriors."
    edited July 2016
    Sylvanas said:
    I'm not a huge fan of the word Hegemony.

I will totally deal with hegemony though, but the Society must be replaced with something else. It's too blah and generic.

And for The Society:
    The Forbidden Camaraderie?

Similar on Hegemony for me, but it does convey what we're envisioning for that org. And I love the high vocabulary word :D 

I still wonder if using Forbidden in the name is too specific to Raezon for us? We avoided something with Masque due to its strong ties with Fain also.

Actually, I was thinking something on the lines of incorporating "Heralds of Progress" or even stealing from @Vladimere's title "Heralds of Transformation" also fits. Something about how they're pioneering into the unknown/potentially forbidden sciences of the Taint and Innovation.

I liked Harbingers as a nice evil word too but Glomdoring already has that! T_T

Zarialle's first dance:
  • ShangoShango Member Posts: 25 Novice
    In terms of names, the one devoted to combat and defense of Magnagora (i.e. the combatant faction) should certainly retain the name of 'Ur'guard'...the Guild pre-exists Magnagora and much else in the Basin as it is, getting rid of it would be a crime, lore and RPwise. The names are kinda meh as it is.

Way they pulled factions in Achaea was a combat focused one, preaching and spiritual focus one, and intel/espionage one per city. 
  • ThaxThax Member, Gods Posts: 50 Divine
    We're always happy to take alternative suggestions for names.

To be clear, though, we are doing a complete overhaul of the system and have no plans to keep ur'Guard as is.