Magnagora Faction Draft - Focus Concept

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman Member Posts: 4,384 Transcendent
    Shango said:

Way they pulled factions in Achaea was a combat focused one, preaching and spiritual focus one, and intel/espionage one per city. 
    This is n ot how it's happening in Lusternia. 
  • FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon Member Posts: 1,648 Transcendent
    edited January 7
    That's not really what the intention of the Houses there is, either.
    Post edited by Falaeron on
  • LavinyaLavinya Former Queen of Snark AustraliaMember Posts: 3,354 Transcendent
    Ideas for alternatives to The Society:

The Iniquitous Sodality 
    The Midnight Consortium

• ThaxThax Member, Gods Posts: 50 Divine
    Below is the current draft proposal. I would like to emphasize that all the details are still up for discussion and this is a rough idea (essentially the very very beginning of the process) to get us going. However, Estarra has asked us to determine names before coding begins so we plan to finalize them with her this weekend. So right now the focus should be on names. Also @Lavinya Consortium is already claimed by Halli so we can't use that :)

The Midnight Dominion
    ======================

* Goals: "Damnation and Dominion over All", conquest of the Basin, bring
    all beneath the Supreme Master Luciphage's heel, expand the borders of
    Magnagora, spread its glory to all
    * Themes: Conquest, Damnation, Undeath, Propaganda
    * Members: preachers, militants, seditionists, orators, infiltrators,
    ambassadors, the common soldier, writers of propaganda, bards singing
    battle hymns or glorifying Mag
    * Appeals to: Nihilists following Luciphage, Ashtorath, Nifilhema,
    Baalphegar; ur'Guard; Geomancers with Geomancy; Ninjakari spies, Cacos
    ----------------------------
    The Midnight Dominion is the dreaded organisation spreading
    Magnagora's influence all over the Basin. Bent on conquest and
    domination of all beneath the banner of Magnagora, the Dominion is known
    for its ruthless approach to war: they will not only murder, ravage, and
    pillage but burn down libraries, tear down paintings, desecrate holy
    icons, raise the fallen as undead minions, and finally institute
    Magnagoran law and customs upon all. Magnagora is the only civilized
    place and all else must be brought beneath its tainted influence or
    destroyed. Their extensive spy network operates beneath notice while
    their honey-tongued preachers and fierce seditionists dazzle the minds
    of common folk before the dreaded banners of the indestructible undead
    army even crest the horizon.

The Iniquitous Society
    =======================

* Goals: Victory through Suffering (Nifilhema, Jagrerox)), progress and
    transformation, personal loss leads to personal gain; to push
    boundaries, reject taboos, moral ambiguity in research
    * Themes: Research, Steampunk, Torture, Necromancy, Taboo,
    Transformation, Progress
    * Members: mad scientists, scholars, artists, greedy bastards, bored
    curious aristocracts, zealots, wicked priests
    Type MORE to continue reading. (42% shown)
    13845h, 13845m, 13845e, 10p, 100em esSix(<-_(^)_->)more
    You continue reading:
    * Appeals to: Nihilists following Baalphegar, Gorgulu, Nifilhema;
    Geomancers with Geochem, self-whipping Ninjakari, Cacophones, masters of
    Necromancy
    The Society is where all knowledge is celebrated, all ambition is
    embraced, and power is granted to those who are worthy and willing to
    pay the price. Not for the weak of heart or those fallible to ideals of
    morality imposed by spineless conformists found elsewhere in the Basin,
    they embrace those who fear not walking the thin line between tainted
    madness and discovery. By flickering candlelight they delve in
    antediluvian, progressive, and forbidden magicks: slice off a limb to
    gain a more powerful one (Geochem), apply a corset-weave to your arm to
    master discipline (Nifilhema), dabble with the forbidden to discover
    long-forgotten secrets, push the boundaries of science. Here is where
    the best minds of Magnagora scheme and plot, where torture and blasphemy
    is but a tool, where those who wish to improve and become "truly
    Magnagoran" flock.There is no good or evil here, only freedom from
    morality that binds lesser men. For Magnagora, for progress, for victory
    and forbidden knowledge there is no chasm they won't willingly plummet
    into.

The Cabal of Damnation
    ======================

* Goals: Spiritual, philosphical, cultural development, preservation and
    protection of Magnagora
    * Themes: Nihilism, Secret Police, Cultural Dominance, Spirituality,
    Progress
    * Members: politicians, priests, artists, writers, scholars, common
    folk, spies, defenders
    * Appeals to: pretty much everyone
    The Cabal is the heart and soul of the Engine, focused entirely on its
    inner workings: ensuring all cogs and gears work in concert. Spiritual
    leadership is of highest import here, teachings are passed down from Nil
    to the common serf so that he too heeds the teachings of the Demon Lords
    and pays obeisance for Their gifts. The Cabal focuses on Magnagora as a
    whole, its well-being, progress, preservation of its culture and ways;
    never letting it stray too far from its leading ideals and goals.
    Beneath this pious facade operates the secret police that ensures
    Magnagora stays on course: they are the bane of the corrupt that stand
    in the way of progress, the converts who cling to foreign symbols, the
    nobles who plot against each other to Engine's detriment, and those who
    blaspheme and are lost in their ways. There is only one future for
    Magnagora and the Cabal knows what it is.

• LavinyaLavinya Former Queen of Snark AustraliaMember Posts: 3,354 Transcendent
    I preferred the Iron Hegemony. Midnight Dominion is fitting but seems too...simple. Which I suppose is not a bad thing, I just like pretty words like hegemony. Society also seems too generic to me which is why I was looking for alternatives. Sodality has old links to the catholic church, as small sects/brotherhoods within the church which I find a delicious irony being used within the unholy tainted city (and plays on the religious aspects which are very strong in Magnagora). Also damn you Hallifax, I like consortium! -shakefist-

I really like the concepts of the factions here, I think they are broad enough to allow a lot of variation within them for many different play styles, while still having a unique focus that makes them different to each other. I feel there are many ways you can play in each and that really appeals to me. 

• IsuneIsune Gods Posts: 438 Divine
    You may come visit our Consortium, it shall be fabulous daahling!
  • TambadorTambador Member Posts: 48 Apprentice
    edited January 10
    Tainted Hegemony or Hegemony of the Taint and could have various Cantons as the org beneath Canton of Conquest Canton of Power Canton of Subversion or whatever floats people's boats :) 
  • DrocillaDrocilla Member, Gods Posts: 433 Divine
    I too liked Iron Hegemony more @Lavinya but, least for right now, we decided it's a bit too fancy, not quite entry-level or novice-friendly. Midnight Dominion is a step down from that but still meant to suggest a similar vibe and be a play on Luciphage's Midnight Legion, which itself was too militant (and we're not splitting new factions into pvpers/rpers/etc). If we were to keep Midnight Dominion, it would allow for Luciphage to rebrand his Legion into Dominion, a smoother transition than a whole new name, and add duties onto it that fit the current description of the faction. Either way keep in mind we're open to changes to all of them still!

As for Society, I find Sodality to be unsuitable exactly due to its religious ties because both Dominion and Cabal are already quite rooted in the religious aspects of Magnagora. I personally like Society, especially as Iniquitous Society (a play on Mag's old Iniquitous Lyceum), because of the image I currently have in mind when I think of that faction. Let me paint you a picture:

Prumal d'Lardick was born to debauched opulence; a respected aristocrat, he is a frequent attendee of the finest parties in Magnagora. He writes treaties on many an appropriately lofty subject in his spare time and in the evenings plots the downfall of his political enemies over cherry whiskey. But the only thing that arrests his undead heart is when his well-paid men in gloves slick with blood experiment with his latest torture techniques. The bells rejoice for midnight and so does he, the screams sound so much sweeter by flickering gas-light, echoed by so many others.

Jamilah is a product of the Undercity, cut to the shape she is now like a gem, polished, deprived of all impurities - emotions, weaknesses, desires - that did not guarantee survival. She spent a lot of her life with her ear up against doors forever closed to her, slammed in her face, listening and learning. There are others like her, skilled, gifted, but condemned to struggle in darkness and decay of the Undercity for their deformities. "It needs not be so. It needs not be so", she murmurs obsessively, almost like a prayer, tools in hand.

Yasmar d'Murani is a proud man, a religious man, and a man who does not like to be refused. He has bent the knee to the Queen Nifilhema and she has scorned him in favour of a priestess of finer lineage. Blood is blood to Yasmar, it is the Art that matters. The Queen is fickle, her excruciating favour does not last long, and in that he sees his opportunity. She will choose him and her favourite will be his canvas and his love letter to the Queen. Blood is blood, he must practice till his Art is agony and ecstasy both. He sheds his robes unto the cold marble floor, the plush fabric soaking up his congealing blood from the latest procedures.

So different, so far apart from one another. There is but one place where each of them is an equal, where each of them is understood, where their motives are irrelevant and goals celebrated. The Society scoffs at no man's darkest desires. Meeting in their fabled lounge, dressed in resplendent finery, the cloths of their trade swept aside for the moment, they are equals, peers. And yet not. A bloody sport this is as they vie for the most scandalous proposal and most outrageous experiment. Bedecked as gentlemen and ladies, they hide the corruption and darkness behind the masks of high society and revel in this obscene game of pretend with one another. Many turn their nose up at it, and still make it far in the Society, for even then they are better than everyone else who serves mindlessly, who does not reach farther, higher, for that unattaintable "enough".

Think: a dark and devious Explorer's Club, a depraved League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. You're better than everyone else just by being there and they will cherish your every move and urge you onwards to progress, enlightenment, transformation. No path is wrong.

• AlisaAlisa Member Posts: 22 Capable
    Looking at the names, while the Cabal of Damnation is a pretty appropriate name for what it is thematically supposed to represent, it feels like it's lacking something... I suppose it sounds very generic evil-ish? That, and the name automatically reminds me of the Cabal/Cabalists on Aetolia. I think we could do with a name that stands out as unique.

Unfortunately, the only suggestions I can think of presently are... pretty terrible though. The Iron Camarilla? The Sacerdos (derives from sacerdotal) of Damnation? The Sacredos?

• MrakMrak Member Posts: 175 Adept
    I'd like to add one more vote for "Iron Hegemony," although it seems doomed and I'm leaning towards the Society anyway.

Also, WTB the opportunity to participate in a DnD campaign run by Drocilla.
  • SthaiSthai Member Posts: 36 Adept
    edited January 11
    I agree that the Cabal seems bland.

I'm going to toss out some alternatives:

• The Iron Inquisition
    • The Inquisition of the Damned
    • The Architects of the Engine
    • The Tainted Host

For the Dominion, some conquest-based alternatives:
    • The Legions of the Damned
    • The Army of Darkness
    • The Iron Arm of the Engine
    • The Iron Legion
    • The Legions of Nil
    • The Black Company
    • The Black Regiment

For the Society (I love the Society marker):
    • The Great Game 
    • The Game of Houses
    • The Black Society
    • The Midnight Society
    • The Clockwork Coterie
    Chief Mag PR officer
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Three Lakes, WIMember Posts: 2,762 Transcendent
    One thing I noticed and pointed out to the Serenwilde group was that for almost all of the current guilds, the "organization" name (Cabal, Society, Army, College) isn't the primary name by which the guilds are identified. The College of Aquamancy is not the College, but the Aquamancers. The Serenguard Tribe is not the Tribe, but the Serenguard. The Centre for Aeromantic Engineering is not the Centre, but the Aeromancers. I wonder if we're all too focused on the organizational name.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • AlisaAlisa Member Posts: 22 Capable
    edited January 12
    The names are what will draw people to these guilds or 'factions', or at least a second look at what they represent. One glance at the name and I should be able to have some idea or feel as to what the organisation represents.

To me, this reformation is not about simply giving a new name to an organisation that currently exists (which is literally structured off class archetypes.) It's about hinging on existing foundational history or concepts of Magnagora (or any city) and building three sub-organisations that fuel an exploration in each field.
  • DrocillaDrocilla Member, Gods Posts: 433 Divine
    Agreed with @Alisa. The names are of utmost importance as the connotations they evoke will set the tone for the faction in question. A Society is different to an Institute, just as it is different to a Cabal, or a  Brotherhood, or a Salon. Each sets a different tone, decorum, interactions between members.

When it comes to the Cabal of Damnation, I find the name apt but agree it is missing something. It is a name that I feel should have the strongest religious links due to the overt religious vibes of Magnagora and their destined vocation. Cabal, however, suggests something smaller than this faction would likely be, more closed off. I am fond of the idea of an Inquisition but it is a strongly Celestian concept due to skills. Perhaps some play on the word Presidium, akin to the Cultural Presidium of the Engine, the city's culture clan? But with a twist that suggests religious vibes. Perhaps Keepers of some kind? 

For Society, still fond of Society but think some different adjective could be added still. Also liking Coterie though unsure due to Fain's Coterie being so significant. 

For Dominion, nothing like the Army of Darkness or the Midnight Legion can exist, or anything else with really overt military vibes. Rule number one of factions is that they are not to be guilds remade as combatant/scholar/artist factions. Every type of player should, in theory, be able to see themselves in every faction and giving it a clear military vibe is against that rule. That is why in the Dominion you see preachers, demagogues, artists etc, as well as military forces. It does sound like Iron Hegemony was quite liked which makes me wonder if perhaps it wasn't the right choice all along. It certainly sounds badass.
  • SthaiSthai Member Posts: 36 Adept
    That makes sense! I really like the Iron Hegemony in that vein, then. 

I think Fain's Coterie is all in mag, with the exception of that creepy God with a white van and candy, so it might make sense to draw that implied parallel to the Coterie. If anything, reinforcing significance is great - I think we should in fact be wary of being TOO vague and broad in our faction concepts.
    Chief Mag PR officer
  • SaranSaran Member Posts: 1,687 Mythical
    Iron Hegemony sounds really awesome, the word Sodality is meandering around in my head as an alternative to Hegemony but I do like it as is.
    Iron Hegemony is definitely worth a few more long looks. (pretty pretty please?)

• IxionIxion Member Posts: 705 Transcendent
    Lavinya said:
    I preferred the Iron Hegemony. Midnight Dominion is fitting but seems too...simple. Which I suppose is not a bad thing, I just like pretty words like hegemony. Society also seems too generic to me which is why I was looking for alternatives. Sodality has old links to the catholic church, as small sects/brotherhoods within the church which I find a delicious irony being used within the unholy tainted city (and plays on the religious aspects which are very strong in Magnagora). Also damn you Hallifax, I like consortium! -shakefist-

I really like the concepts of the factions here, I think they are broad enough to allow a lot of variation within them for many different play styles, while still having a unique focus that makes them different to each other. I feel there are many ways you can play in each and that really appeals to me. 

Agree on the names not fitting just right.

Midnight Dominion doesn't really do it for me. I'd much prefer something like:
    - The Army of Darkness
    - The War Mill (war doesn't just mean LOL PK FACTION. Conquest/influence/domination/etc is very much a war/warlike endeavor)
    - The Midnight Legion even sounds okay I suppose. We've used legion clan as a crutch for coordinated efforts and it has a long history.

Iron Hegemony and Cabal of Damnation both don't sound just right.. though I can't really come up with a replacement.:(
  • NiloferNilofer Member Posts: 32 Apprentice
    For those who still would like to stand for anything, the ur'Guard clan will remain open in order to continue the game's oldest tradition, both IC and OOC.
  • ShangoShango Member Posts: 26 Novice
    @Nilofer While I am in agreement with you...not the best way to put that.

I've no real interest in any of those names myself....Ixion's last post has acceptable alternatives but Ur'guard predates just about everything in the Lore of the Basin that's survived to the age players began existing within the Basin in the first place, and never needed to be strictly 'Warrior-only' (Urlach Himself wasn't, just tended to be Warriors most often attracted to the vanguard against the Souless incursion force the Ur'guard represented, and with how the Orclach race tended to lean heavily towards Warrior over mage types), if that's the issue.

Frankly, see little so far to draw me to any faction as proposed, since I doubt I'd be given leadership of any to start with, and much of player input beyond a very small groups being ignored (several leaders have requested entrance to the planning Clan just to be told their invite will come later, then gets quietly forgotten, been a constant complaint from others). We're the ones most affected by all this. I realize the point is to allow for a fresh reinvention of all city/commune's RP away from the old hard-ingrained protocols pushed by long history of the Guilds being as they've been for so long. Sometimes it's far easy to wash away and start with something new, with the same people, as a way to push changes desired that just don't seem to happen with people sticking to old habits...so renaming something unique makes sense. 

As has been pointed out before, the names shall be the first thing seen by any truly new person to the game....needs to be something that wouldn't make them just go 'wtf' and look elsewhere, even if said Faction was EXACTLY what they were looking for in an org within their given city/commune. Good rule, KISS=Keep It Simple, Silly*

*=may have altered a word to be more friendly.
  • ShangoShango Member Posts: 26 Novice
    Though yes, Ur'guard clan will be a go regardless, should it be true to be deadset to be a 'no' on the name for any Factions. Even if I have to make the damned thing from scratch myself.
  • DanquikDanquik Member Posts: 146 Master
    edited January 18
    Shango said:
    Frankly, see little so far to draw me to any faction as proposed, since I doubt I'd be given leadership of any to start with, and much of player input beyond a very small groups being ignored (several leaders have requested entrance to the planning Clan just to be told their invite will come later, then gets quietly forgotten, been a constant complaint from others). We're the ones most affected by all this.

This attitude is probably why you, if you are not in the planning group, have not been invited. You most certainly are not the most affected and I daresay had very little to do with the Ur'Guard being what they are today. You just happen to fill a position that was sorted out years ago by better men/women than yourself.

The whole "If I don't get leadership I am not joining a faction" statement is nothing more than childish and tantrumy.

I mean go right ahead and make a Ur'Guard clan, it won't be a Faction and it will have no rights or privilege in the City as a Faction. Your attitude, shown here, means going off on your own is probably the best thing you could do for the Factions in Magnagora.

Post edited by Danquik on
    Drocilla said:

When it comes to names, no matter how you try to rebrand Army of Darkness as inclusive of all playstyles @Ixion, it still says army front and centre to a newcomer. The Dominion/Hegemony (or whatever else it ends up being) can have a military feel to it within though.

Both dominion/hegemony (Legion works too) say army without actually saying it too. I like that, and think something along those lines works well.

• DanquikDanquik Member Posts: 146 Master
    The only reason I like Army of Darkness is because I imagine Ixion, chopping off one hand and attaching a chainsa... axe... to it and running around saying "Shop smart. Shop S-Mart!" as he slays all the zombies. I would totally not roll an alt named Bruce.
    yes I would
  • VeyilsVeyils Member Posts: 1,441 Mythical
    Lavinya said:
    Drocilla said:

When it comes to names, no matter how you try to rebrand Army of Darkness as inclusive of all playstyles @Ixion, it still says army front and centre to a newcomer. The Dominion/Hegemony (or whatever else it ends up being) can have a military feel to it within though.

Both dominion/hegemony (Legion works too) say army without actually saying it too. I like that, and think something along those lines works well.

Dominion doesn't make me think war or army it makes me think political entity. Like  bureaucratic administrative faction, historically the semi-independant political states of the Empire.

I see dominion and I assume on thats like the ruling political elite of this area.

Similar to hegemony, I mean its literal definition is leadership or dominance.
  • NiloferNilofer Member Posts: 32 Apprentice
    Drocilla said:
    @Shango it is a definite no on Ur'Guard being a name for any faction. It doesn't matter how old the tradition is (it is also not the oldest)

How are you an admin and not know that the ur'Guard were founded before every other organization in the Basin.