Magnagora Faction Draft - Focus Concept

Comments

• NiloferNilofer Member Posts: 32 Apprentice
    Great to see the white knights in full effect. I'm pretty sure Drocilla can defend herself about not knowing a few simple history points just fine on her own, for one, and I'm pretty sure I was talking to her, for two. Regarding the special snowflake thing, there's quite a lot of difference between "I love my guild please let me keep it" and "we're the oldest of the guilds and are literally tied to a large part of the game's history, you can't throw that away." If you're going to argue history, please take a little time to actually read it, thank you.
  • FylerFyler Member Posts: 598 Mythical
    Citation needed.
    Known Aliases: Celina/Cyndarin/Fire Jesus/The Night/That Bitch who griefed us
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning ** Member Posts: 1,652 Transcendent
    This is embarrassing.
  • NiloferNilofer Member Posts: 32 Apprentice
    Citation: The ur'Guard were created by Urlach, during the Vernal Wars, a little period of time very far into which the Basin gradually started to become settled and exist. So by the time Gaudiguch figured what a triangle is, or the communes noticed trees weren't rocks, or the slightest inkling of the word guild hit Basin vernacular, the ur'Guard were already the undead legion serving one of the nine last/most powerful of the Vernal Gods.
  • DanquikDanquik Member Posts: 144 Master
    Well we know who won't be winning the History Ascension Event. I should enter that one, my chances of winning just improved.
  • LeradLerad Member Posts: 2,396 Transcendent
    Great, apparently posting in a forum to contribute to a discussion is not allowed now, unless you're directly spoken to.

I did some mental acrobatics to try and wrap myself around the idea of the Ur'Guard being entitled to special snowflake exception (because yes, no matter what the underlying argument, being an exception to a rule is to be a special snowflake - you could even say that's the literal definition of that phrase). Then I read Sylandra's posts, and decided, yeah, that just isn't worth the effort.

You know, no one's going to be taking away the Ur'Guard's history. No one's going to be saying that the Ur'Guard will cease to exist. In fact, if you're going to argue that the Ur'Guard are the oldest guild on the basis of them being the undead orcs created by Urlach, then that tradition will mean that it is actually the state of being an undead warrior worshipping Urlach that defines what an Ur'Guard is - inside the current guild or outside of it.

That heritage is not going away, whether the Ur'Guard exist as a faction or not, and that is not something you can change either. Even if you didn't want the Ur'Guard to exist anymore, the heritage of the Ur'Guard you are defining your guild by demands that they continue to exist for as long as there is an undead warrior that worships Urlach. They will exist, regardless of your wishes.

They won't exist as a faction, though, if the admin don't want them to. They might fit well as a faction theme, as a faction idea, they may even be good for the game to exist as a faction. But if, in the interests of fairness, the admin don't want that to happen, then that's pretty much final.

In fact, if the admin want, they can very well retcon the Ur'Guard's existence entirely. They could go back to the website, remove the references to the Ur'Guard, change mob descriptions and the things they say, change the Vernal books, declare that the Ur'Guard and all remaining references to them are just a hallucination that should be phased out and corrected... and there would be nothing you can do to dispute that, really. Sure, that's a sucky thing to do, and given how our current admin are more receptive to feedback today than in yesteryear (anecdotal), that likely won't happen. But it's happened before, and it can jolly well happen again, and it would be entirely within their rights to do that as well.

• CrekCrek Member Posts: 192 Expert
    Lerad said:

In fact, if the admin want, they can very well retcon the Ur'Guard's existence entirely. They could go back to the website, remove the references to the Ur'Guard, change mob descriptions and the things they say, change the Vernal books, declare that the Ur'Guard and all remaining references to them are just a hallucination that should be phased out and corrected... and there would be nothing you can do to dispute that, really. Sure, that's a sucky thing to do, and given how our current admin are more receptive to feedback today than in yesteryear (anecdotal), that likely won't happen. But it's happened before, and it can jolly well happen again, and it would be entirely within their rights to do that as well.
    I feel like something rather like that has happened before. Huh!
    The Divine voice of Ianir the Anomaly echoes in your head, "You are a ray of sunshine in a sea of 
    depression. I just wanted you to know that."
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning ** Member Posts: 1,652 Transcendent
    @Lerad's measured and mannerly beatdowns make me tingly in so many places. Wistful siiigh.

Anyways yeah, Hegemony is a really nice word imo.
    Nilofer said:
    Citation: The ur'Guard were created by Urlach, during the Vernal Wars, a little period of time very far into which the Basin gradually started to become settled and exist. So by the time Gaudiguch figured what a triangle is, or the communes noticed trees weren't rocks, or the slightest inkling of the word guild hit Basin vernacular, the ur'Guard were already the undead legion serving one of the nine last/most powerful of the Vernal Gods.

Not only do you need to learn history you need to learn what the word "citation" means. I can provide you with links to various dictionaries if it assists you in learning.
  • RidetaRideta Member Posts: 79 Master
    edited January 19
    Sthai said:
    I agree that the Cabal seems bland.

I'm going to toss out some alternatives:
    • The Midnight Society
    Submitted for your approval.

(Magnagora): Thax says, "My truest favour to the soldier that brings me the weave of Neos."
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens. Member Posts: 3,727 Transcendent
    edited January 19
    Not touching the ur'Guard stuff with a 20ft pole but I can't see the word Hegemony and not think of Batarians.

My only issue with it is that the name implies a defacto leadership style faction taking the definition of the word, rather than being an equal stake in the workings of Magnagora.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

I have only one issue with @Lavinya's post. You need to send Thax to Gaudiguch. You guys don't neeeed him.
    Thinking on alternates to the word Hegemony for my previous concern regarding misleading titles, while trying to not use militaristic themes (though I disagree with the concept that giving it a militant title makes it the defacto combat org, but I digress) I'd like to propose either dominion or ascendancy (though the latter may be nixed due to actual ascension though I like the irony in a taint based ascendancy)

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• LavinyaLavinya Former Queen of Snark AustraliaMember Posts: 3,354 Transcendent
    Danquik said:
    I have only one issue with @Lavinya's post. You need to send Thax to Gaudiguch. You guys don't neeeed him.
    Build your own iron man!

• SthaiSthai Member Posts: 36 Adept
    I think a fresh start is a lovely thing to shake up the status quo! An unchanging game is a boring one, and as players, we're getting an amazing opportunity to help write the future of our organizations. I'd like to give a big hand to everyone in the Magnagoran faction clan for working together to bring the best of the past into the future.
    Chief Mag PR officer
  • SylvanasSylvanas Member Posts: 264 Expert
    Personally, I do feel that Hegemony is too fancy a word, but perhaps that will appeal to those particular players?

I do like the names that @Thax has now proposed.

Re: current guilds - they can always exist as informal clans - we have a clan that has all of our ghelp files for the inevitable merge, and backups on our own computers to preserve all of the work. I can see the Cacophony continuing to exist through a clan - "The Musicians of the Engine" or something.

(Disclaimer: Have not given any thought to clan name. Also, a clan is just an idea and ultimately we may decide to not even have one.)

I appreciate the admin's firm stance on not allowing any of the guilds to remain as they are. That's a slippery slope. I imagine it's not easy to deal with the various demands and voices of the players.
    Flames erupt from the caldera below as a distorted voice echoes, "Their spirit must be broken if they wish to be reborn as true warriors."
  • IxionIxion Member Posts: 692 Transcendent
    Um, wow this escalated quickly. I just wanted to revisit naming options...

Anyway, thanks @Drocilla for discussing it. I see your point about army and newer players. It's quite possible I have insane standards, but in my head the names just don't instill enough badassery/fear/whatever/uff-da.
  • DrakiusDrakius Member Posts: 302 Gifted
    I wasn't even aware people RPed the UG. Maybe I missed it between all the groping and the very thin line between IC/OOC that graced gt.
    The playa you love to hate
  • OtheroOthero Member Posts: 832 Virtuoso
    Nilofer said:
    Which had nothing to do with the necromancy used in game or the ur'Guard as a guild. They have very little in game lore that actually runs all the way back to Urlach and instead co-opted a lot of it because that's the joke about Magnagora. They're full of new traditions masking as old ones and steal shit to add legitimacy to themselves.

Also nice forum rp/meltdown.
  • SylvanasSylvanas Member Posts: 264 Expert
    <3 you, Taintmom. You're the best.
    Flames erupt from the caldera below as a distorted voice echoes, "Their spirit must be broken if they wish to be reborn as true warriors."
  • IxionIxion Member Posts: 692 Transcendent
    edited January 19
    Trying! @Drocilla

More name ideas:
    The Infernal Crypt
    The Tainted Vanguard
    Vanguard of the Damned
    Necrotic Damnation
    Slough of Despair

Horrible names list:
    Cogs in the Smog (if you can't beat them, join them)
    Doom, Damnation, and Donuts (ok maybe not this one)
    The Brute Squad (#PrincessBride)

• LavinyaLavinya Former Queen of Snark AustraliaMember Posts: 3,354 Transcendent
    Midnight Dominion:

Iron Imperium
    Imperium of the Damned
    Legion of the Damned/Damned Legion
    Midnight Autocracy
    Infernal Hegemony

Iniquitous Society:

Clockwork Coterie
    Infernal Elegy
    Midnight Coterie

Cabal of Damnation:
    infernal Sodality
    Tainted chapter

• DrocillaDrocilla Member, Gods Posts: 430 Divine
    Ps. @Morgfyre's been digging Coterie for Society @Lavinya, and I think we could work Fain's Coterie as their inspiration for their behaviour, rules, etc. I just can't think of anything good before or after it. Clockwork Coterie doesn't exactly capture them, neither does Midnight. Those feel like tacked on for the "darkness effect". I've been thinking Black Coterie but that has the same feel. Grey Coterie doesn't sound as badass but makes more sense (grey morality, no black and white). Sense does not badassery make though. Ideas?

@Ixion I'm not hating Vanguard but it sounds a bit goody two shoes (that could be me playing Vanguard in Mass Effect though). 
  • RidetaRideta Member Posts: 79 Master
    Crimson Coterie?

That might lend to a heavy bit o' the Fain though.
    (Magnagora): Thax says, "My truest favour to the soldier that brings me the weave of Neos."
    Who plays a paragon vanguard, that combo was made for renegade.

I would have thought the Vanguard would be too militaristic a title though, it's hard to express expansion and outward influence without using militant naming conventions though.