Serenwilde Factions - Initial Concepts

HoaracleHoaracle Member, Gods Posts: 204 Divine
So after a lot of conversation (both in the Serenwilde Faction clan and in the other forum thread), @Maylea, @Lisaera, and I developed a couple of faction concepts that synthesized a number of different ideas and perspectives thrown out about Serenwilde. The intention here is to lay the out for everyone to see, help us spot any holes or defects, and potentially develop them further. At present, we only have two factions considered; the third has been tricky for us to design (and as such, we would be interested in hearing what might a potential third faction look like).

Broadly speaking, the main idea is that each of the factions take on a temporal direction (past/present/future) and a general axis (thanks to @Haghan for the idea), which is then linked up in some way to a community or concept already entrenched in Serenwilde. This community/concept was generally something that was not directly seen in Serenwilde presently, but had a lot of life to them. Furthermore, we tried to shy away from direct appeals to Mother Moon and White Hart; we felt that, given their status as Serenwilde's Great Spirits, their presence will always be felt within the forest's culture. As you can see, each of the factions that we present below should engage with the two in some manner or form.

Comments

• HoaracleHoaracle Member, Gods Posts: 204 Divine
    THE ALLIED TRIBES OF THE WODEWOSES
    A synthesis of Turnus' animal spirit faction; Everiine's Stonehoof centaurs; Haghan's Nintoba Tribe (forums), Elryn's Unseen Wild Ones
    (forums), and the example factions of the Watchers of the Basin and Fellowship of the Horn.

HELP WODEWOSES
    Once a motley of fierce clans that fell during the Nature Wars, the Allied Tribes of the Wodewoses have nonetheless risen once more in the aftermath of the Great Reformation. Armed with nature magic and the tools of war, they have inherited a 500-year tradition that follows the ways of the wild forest. Painted in shades of green, black, and yellow, they walk through the thick boughs of the woods and leave no hint of their passage; guided by the ferocity of their animal totems, they strike without warning and with deadly fury. For them, the Land of Serenwilde is a living, breathing entity where the cycles of life and death, predator and prey, are born, which culminates in the riotous 'Wild Hunt,' a celebratory hunting ritual where these wild men and women engage in the primal tug of life. Allied with the northern centaurs, the Wodewoses combine the knowledge of various disciplines to protect what they deem sacred.

HISTORY
    Also known as the Wild Ones, the Wodewoses were a motley of fierce clans that lived in a tribal alliance within the Serenwilde. Unlike the Coven of the Moon and the Hartstone Circle, which were both organized through the devotion of their respective Great Spirit and the practice of nature magic, the Wodewoses were a people of brutal instinct, tied together through a shared spirituality of the land and pledges of mutual solidarity.

For them, the Serenwilde was known as 'the Land,' a wild, sacred space that gave birth to each of the clans' respective totem animals; indeed, they catered a more direct respect of the animal and plant world, considering the Serenwilde as the primal beginning: the very place where the rhythms of the beasts - the cycle of predator and prey - playing out like a living, breathing entity. They honored this deep connection with the ceremonious 'Wild Hunt,' a time where they painted their bodies in variegated shades of black, green, and yellow, hunting for three days and three nights without rest.

Though never substantiated, it had long been rumored that the Wodewoses' tribal system was an imitation of the roaming centaur herds that occasionally visited Serenwilde. Prior to their final settling in Gloriana, the centaurs traveled far and wide: their migratory habits
    leaving an impression on each of the forests as they traded in herbs, skins, and omens. Some had noted too the shared customs between the two groups, such as the respect of the animal spirits, the practice of herbology, and the use of heather dye for paint.

But most importantly, the Wodewoses were the very people who fought against the initial threat of Imperial rule, where the Holy Celestine Empire sanctioned that mutative experiments of the Illuminati on the wildlife of the First World. Armed with spear, axe, and bow, bands of painted warriors assaulted those foul laboratories, thus beginning the 24 year-long conflict known as the Nature Wars. However, by the end of it, the Wodewoses and their customs were eradicated altogether; their presence lost to the passing of time. No one knows exactly what happened, but historians believe that their traditions trickled down along family lines - specifically the Moonblades (and thus the Cult of Bull), the Oakvines (and thus the modern Serenguard), the Aormeah, and the igasho family of the Hurosh.

THEMES
    Serenguard Tribalism; Hartstone Naturalism; Shofangi Ferality; Spiritsinger ties to the Sileni clans; Centaur stargazing, herbology

Protect What Exists; Present-Oriented; Tribal Wildness; Animal Spirits; the LAND of Serenwilde; Independent clans united by shared
    interests/beliefs (think the Iroquois Confederacy)

CONCEPTS
    Green-painted berserker; tribal headhunter; ennobled archer searching his mark; vision-induced shaman; herbologist, herbalist, botanists; Fancy/Ghost Dancer; a stargazing augur
    edited April 2016
    THE KEEPERS OF THE SACRED DEAD
    The veil between life and death has always been thin, and this has been especially the case for Serenwilde. Is it because some fae magic or primal wellspring that keeps the ancestors of the forest here? Or does the green blood of the Shelterfolk call out to those beyond the pale, tethering them still so they can maintain their ancient oaths and charges? Who is to say. But what is clear is that the voices of the sacred dead (the ancestral spirits of Serenwilde altogether) can no longer remain silent. They have witnessed the forest's present - mired in self-doubt and broken traditions - and have foreseen the forest's future - consumed by the cancerous threat of civilization, Taint, and Wyrd. No longer can the dead remain silent. Instead, the dead accuse, shout, and live again.

And so, the Ancestralists have risen in response to the cries of the ancestors. Eschewing the traditional roles and communities that the
    Serenwilde once maintained, they draw upon the legacies and stories of the past anew in these trying times. They remember that the Taint forced one of the forest's sister communes into Time, and transformed the other into an abomination; they remember that the Empire burnt, hacked, and tore the woods asunder, leaving behind a blemish of their victory: the Alabaster Road. Guided by the host of ancestors, they seek to restore nature to its truest form: red in tooth and claw, offering both their blood and that of their enemies to sate the hungry forest.

THEMES
    Hartstone ancestor worship; Spiritsinger ancestral spirit summoning; Moondancer radicalism; Shofangi Kephera veneration; blood rites;
    sacrifice; retaliation against the corrupting forces of the world

CONCEPTS
    Genealogical historian; relic-seeker; chosen sword of the Ancestors; blood ritualist; ash-covered barbarian; the sacrificial lamb; eco-terrorists

ROLEPLAY
    • Interested in the past - focused on heeding and maintaining the memories of the forebearers of Serenwilde plays up the histories of both Nature Wars and Taint Wars
    • Heeds the opinions of the Ancestors; thus, mutable in their day-to-day antagonism
    • Contact ancestors through genealogical, blood rites; threading the past and present, blood to blood
    • Combative folk are anointed hands of the Ancestors - their bodies covered with the ashes of the dead (think Kronos from the video game God of War meets New Orleans Witches from the TV Show, the Originals)
    • Obvious ritualist RP - with a tension between 'kinder' ancestral spirits who have a different method of 'restoring' nature; genealogical mappings of personal family ancestors (creating a 'Tree of Life,' so to speak a la Anne Rice's 'The Great Family' in her book, Queen of the Damned); songs and productions in memory of the ancestor's exploits; adventurers to recover sacred artifacts and relics once held by the dead
    • Kephera veneration of the Queens connection to the ancestors, the reincarnation cycles interpreted as a similar tether like fellow spirits
    • The Sacred Dead: the Ancestral Spirits of Serenwilde
      • Synches together the Ancestors of the Hartstone and the Ancestral Spirits of the Spiritsingers; they are one and the same
      • List includes: cairn spirits (Rhoswen, Dotuni, Aramir, Nimailt, Laron), Chuchip, and new spirits (the Greenman, Hneuho Swifthoof, Teharo Stardapple, among others). Also included is Farella; however, admin lore plotting prevents complete interaction
        • NOTE: Ellindel and Glinshari are not amongst this pantheon of ancestors, though they are revered greatly; their spirits do not reside in the same place as the other Serenwilde Ancestors (potentially having moved onto the next life).
    • Great Spirits/Other Spirits
      • Hart is interpreted as a spirit of life-and-death, and he is invoked in blood rites (since he often sacrifices himself for Serenwilde)
      • Moon illuminates the mysteries beyond the veil between life and death, and is also the guiding light to both find one's way home from whatever metaphysical workings and the histories of the past
      • The Three Warriors are interpreted as three new ancestors whose lives were mythologized by others (may contrast with other factions ideas of who they were)
      •  Bull, while respected, tends to only be considered in relation to Moonblade spirits.
    Post edited by Hoaracle on
    It has already been suggested that the roleplay of the Wodewoses - and their spirituality of the land - could be fleshed out more in terms of considering how "non-warrior" types might better fit in, so we are already taking consideration of that.

However, we also have been wondering about the ways to differentiate the ferality of the Wodewoses from that of the Ancestralists. 

If it isn't clear, we aimed at the Wodewoses being more of an animal/centaur-like faction (although, one wonders if this ends up just replicating the Serenguard in some manner), and the Ancestralists obviously being an ancestor spirit faction. Personally, I wondered about the third being somewhat related to the fae (given that they are perhaps the next largest element of Serenwilde's roleplay), but how do we make this different than the fae elements of the Moondancers/Hartstone? 

Anyway, looking forward to your insights!
  • ShaddusShaddus *Heavy Breathing Intensifies*Member Posts: 7,484 Transcendent
    These look absolutely amazing so far. Keep up the good work!
    2017/04/23 00:29:14 - Nefara honoured Shaddus for: For his dedication to the Earthen Lords and Lady, 
    and willingness to assist our young Pupils. Despite his choosing to not progress himself further, he 
    still works for the Geomancers, and the Engine, in any way he is capable. Also comes with a healthy 
    dose of rebellion, to ensure us of the Council can not be too relaxed.
  • ElrynElryn Member Posts: 143 Capable
    edited April 2016
    The level of detail and thought put into these concepts is brilliant, even if they may not be the factions that appeal to me personally.

I look forward to seeing what the third one becomes, though I still hope it will be something that captures the magical/fae-touched/ethereal aspects of the forest!

Edit: Oh, and I'd be interested in what common goal these factions share for the kind of future they want to see. Outside of every other organisation opposed/gone, and Serenwilde's culture preserved, of course.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Three Lakes, WIMember Posts: 2,743 Transcendent
    Hoaracle said:
    It has already been suggested that the roleplay of the Wodewoses - and their spirituality of the land - could be fleshed out more in terms of considering how "non-warrior" types might better fit in, so we are already taking consideration of that.

However, we also have been wondering about the ways to differentiate the ferality of the Wodewoses from that of the Ancestralists. 

If it isn't clear, we aimed at the Wodewoses being more of an animal/centaur-like faction (although, one wonders if this ends up just replicating the Serenguard in some manner), and the Ancestralists obviously being an ancestor spirit faction. Personally, I wondered about the third being somewhat related to the fae (given that they are perhaps the next largest element of Serenwilde's roleplay), but how do we make this different than the fae elements of the Moondancers/Hartstone? 

Anyway, looking forward to your insights!
    I think fleshing out the non-warrior roleplay of the Wodewoses will help a lot in differentiating them from the Serenguard because being a warrior is central to the Serenguard identity. I'm pretty much the closest thing to a non-traditional warrior in the Serenguard because I focus more on the spirituality and story-telling aspects and fight as little as I can get away with.

The Serenguard mandate also eschews war as much as possible. They're a tribe dedicated to defense and to watching for corruption. The Wodewoses to me sound like they are more bred for war, whether by directly participating or by providing direct support to those who do. Emphasizing their brutal, savage, war-like mentality might help.

While the Serenguard was founded by the centaurs and has a close relationship with them, the connections between them are less direct and the Serenguard don't idolize them. It sounds like the Wodewoses do, and should take a lot more of their cues and aesthetics from them.

To differentiate the Wodewoses from the Ancestralists, perhaps the Wodewoses simply have no real dedication or concept of the importance of the ancestors. They honour their dead maybe with appropriate rituals, but to them, they're dead and live on only in story. Contrast that with the Ancestralists who have this incredibly significant, vital -real- bond with the ancestor spirits. On the other side, downplay the importance of the animal Great Spirits to the ancestralists (which I already see, especially with Bull and the Three Warriors) but really play up the animal spirits (and not Moon or the others) in the Wodewoses.

For a third faction, one things that seems to be missing is joy. The fae spirits as Serenwilde knows them are mostly joyful, childlike, carefree. That's definitely not present in the Wodewoses, and not very much in the Ancestralists. If a fae faction can distinguish itself as the celebratory, wonder-filled party that celebrates the present life and growth of the forest, maybe that will help? Though I'm not sure a faction based on the fae is one that is compelling to me like these other two are.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • SaranSaran Member Posts: 1,629 Mythical
    I feel like expansionism should turn up somewhere, so probably as a third. The two currently presented offer internal focus serving as present and past. But we also are often stuck protecting what is and what was, but a way forward for the forest to grow and develop is something that we sometimes don't look at as much.

So a future faction, about growing and looking outward would be nice.
  • DylaraDylara Member Posts: 1,287 Transcendent
    They can be the planters of new forests. (not mechanically but you know, in spirit)

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Three Lakes, WIMember Posts: 2,743 Transcendent
    Saran said:
    I feel like expansionism should turn up somewhere, so probably as a third. The two currently presented offer internal focus serving as present and past. But we also are often stuck protecting what is and what was, but a way forward for the forest to grow and develop is something that we sometimes don't look at as much.

Which faction is past and which is present? The way I read it, you could almost say the Wodewoses are representative of the past as they are a tradition literally out of Serenwilde's past; while the Ancestralists could be the future, as the ancestor spirits have come back to lead the Seren to a new future.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Everiine said:
    Saran said:

Which faction is past and which is present? The way I read it, you could almost say the Wodewoses are representative of the past as they are a tradition literally out of Serenwilde's past; while the Ancestralists could be the future, as the ancestor spirits have come back to lead the Seren to a new future.
    @Hoaracles post about the Wodewoses lists among their themes "Present-Oriented" and the Keepers are "Interested in the Past", that's mostly where it came from. So if the desire is to have three temporal focuses, the third would be "Future"
    Ah, I see that now. Boy, I'm terrible at reading lately :( .

edited April 2016
    Dylara said:
    They can be the planters of new forests. (not mechanically but you know, in spirit)
    Well, not just forests. Our nature is about being true to oneself, so I imagine they'd focus on connecting with fae of all kinds to ensure their homes grow the way that is best for them. There's been talk at various stages about our connection with outsiders and this might be a flip on that, we are very interested in learning about the ways of those outside our forest, the insight they provide is invaluable. "nonono city dweller I'm not talking to you, your ways are destructive and not helpful, I was talking to the fae of that flower patch over there"

EDIT: That said, part of reclaiming lands lost to "civilisation" is conversion. A faction like this might see not only the land as something to be returned to natural cycles, but also city dwellers, through debate and education (or with a slit of the throat) they can be turned from their erroneous ways back to a much better path (or their corpse can feed the land)
    The Keepers are giving me thoughts of an underground system of natural caves that run beneath the surface of the wild (I guess kinda similar to the hall of the ancestors). A naturally secure place to store the artefacts they gather, maybe a little claustrophobic, with the obvious the chthonic links too.
    If the first two factions focus on wild ferality and ancient vengeance, respectively, it seems like the third faction is going to need to be just as potentially dark in their own way. I guess this also has to capture the players who wanted a Winter Court type organisation somehow, as well as Saran's ideas around organic structures perhaps.

Could the fae-touched faction be centred around taking Ellindel's work to a frightening extreme? Where they seek to blur the boundaries between the Ethereal and Prime planes of existence, infusing the physical wilderness directly with fae magics and living energies towards a future in which the natural realm has all the power and potential already expressed within itself to heal and protect from any wound? I'd love this vision to be akin to a Burton-esque wonderland which is equal parts enchanting, confounding and deadly, and the faction itself could be structured as a formal society based on fae lineages and customs (and could easily have magical structures if desired).

Where the first faction is physical wildness (blurring boundaries between savage and sentient), and the second is temporal wildness (blurring boundaries between past/death and present/life), the third would then be magical wildness (blurring boundaries between what is and what could be).
    Saran said:

Everiine said:
    Saran said:

@Hoaracles post about the Wodewoses lists among their themes "Present-Oriented" and the Keepers are "Interested in the Past", that's mostly where it came from. So if the desire is to have three temporal focuses, the third would be "Future"
    While it is the case that the Wodewoses and the Ancestralists have set "times" (Present and Past, respectfully), I think you can make the case - that @Everiine did - that they aren't necessarily beholden to them. One of the things Maylea and I talked about was how these proposals had a mutability to them; they are not necessarily all about the past (in the case for the Ancestralists, there is a definite sense of futurity) or the present (in the case of the Wodewoses calling back to an ancient time). 

Lastly, the original intention for the Ancestralists was not to be an internalized focus. In fact, the original idea was more of an "aggressive" external group, with the incomplete third faction be more interactionist (although, who is to say that this is how it will play out once we hammer out the details of the third). 

Hoaracle said:
    Saran said:

Everiine said:
    Saran said:

While it is the case that the Wodewoses and the Ancestralists have set "times" (Present and Past, respectfully), I think you can make the case - that @Everiine did - that they aren't necessarily beholden to them. One of the things Maylea and I talked about was how these proposals had a mutability to them; they are not necessarily all about the past (in the case for the Ancestralists, there is a definite sense of futurity) or the present (in the case of the Wodewoses calling back to an ancient time). 

Lastly, the original intention for the Ancestralists was not to be an internalized focus. In fact, the original idea was more of an "aggressive" external group, with the incomplete third faction be more interactionist (although, who is to say that this is how it will play out once we hammer out the details of the third). 
    I really only brought up the temporal thing because it was stated in the OP that, broadly, each faction would take on a temporal direction and the two posted seemed to have been attributed to two of those directions already.

Regarding the internal/external foci, mostly that came from reading the posts. We have a group that are credited with responsibility for the nature wars, a second that remember every bad thing that outsiders have done to nature. I guess neither of those came to mind when I was thinking about a faction that would interact with external entities, because the interaction would seem to most likely always be aggressive.

As my post in response to @Dylara talks about, I was thinking of a third faction that does look outside, not in a way of incorporating their values (unless we're incorporating fae values/magics because really, serenwilde is the best and we have nothing of value to learn from the other orgs) but looking to bring people into the path of nature, to reach out to the fae beyond the forest who are not bound to its service (Bull is perhaps an example, the Warrior Spirits could also be interpreted this way).

A value for them being that we are strongest when we are united with other allies of nature, when they are all turned to a common purpose.

That said @Elryn also offers something which is pretty awesome, perhaps with some potential room to add in what I've suggested.
    I suppose another interesting aspect of @Elryns proposal is that it's kinda "Neowilde", it's a concept that came up early on in the faction planing (for those not in the clan), a group that eschew the past to some degree and focus on building a new future. At the time this involved them rejecting aspects of Serenwilde to drive it forward into what they believe it needed to be.

It's not exactly the same, but at the same time it kinda is. Pushing forward into a new direction, one that may not have ever been seen before. Frightening, strange, a faction that does things people only dreamed of before, things that were thought impossible, a faction that shows that a future of pure nature isn't just possible it would be amazing beyond our hopes.
  • AeldraAeldra Member Posts: 876 Mythical
    edited April 2016
    first I would like to say that those two first factions look amazing from the detail and how they are written / feel ( I am honestly not sure how I'd fit in in either, but I'll decide that once we know the nature of the third ).

I would really love for the third faction not to be 'extremist' as much though. Sure, some elements of an extreme stance are sure needed, but I would also like to consider having a faction that's focused more on tending and preserving of fae and seren members then a third radical faction. Like, for me this whole theme of 'preservation / fae-tending' is largely missing so far and I would really love not to lose that from seren.
    Avatar / Picture done by Xeii. Wheeeeee 
  • MayleaMaylea Member, Gods Posts: 165 Divine
    One of the concerns I have had regarding making a fae-centric faction is that I feel that the fae should be important to everyone in the communes. My worry was that - like with making Moon and Hart focused factions, which we have worked to avoid - people would feel that if they were not in the fae faction that they were somehow unable to participate in that aspect of the forest. Like they had been excluded from it through the dedication of a single (or main) faction to it.

I would be interested to hear whether this is something people think would happen, or if you would actually rather things were set up that way, etc!

Thank you so much for your comments thus far, I think a lot of them fit in with the other faction idea we'd been playing with and could give it the depth that it is currently lacking. :)
    If a faction would purely be focused upon one particular spirit / the fae, then that concern definitely is valid. If it's more like 'tending/preservation', then I see chances for that much less likely. I generally would hope that with the 'factions' we get a lot less exclusitivity then we had them with the guild system, I think I gathered that was one of the advantages of the switch?
    Speaking to another old player last night, she pointed out that these two new factions draw quite a lot from the Serenguard, Hartstone, and Spiritsingers traditions, and that characters/players in each would be able to find places in them. But they draw almost nothing from the Moondancers, and so she didn't feel like her character would have fit well in either. I think she has a point.

@Everiine spelling this out, it kind of represents a little how I felt when reading this concept ( and why I said I kind of don't yet see my fully in either of the present factions).

I love those two factions, I really do, they feel very gritty and dark and already I can see fleshed out they could be quite nice. But... and that's the sad part, Moondancers don't seem to really have a place in them right now. I can see a moondancer going with the ancestral faction a little, depending on the actual char, well... the radicals possibly could. I can not see any moondancer joining wosewood, given from the fact that they are moondancer. Am sure there is or there should be room for moondancers in wosewood's faction too, maybe it's just too early to tell any of that, yet it's stil a concern I feel it's needed to be voiced.
    I think MDs could easily go into either faction really, those that are drawn to the ritualism of the coven would likely find a place with the Keepers and those that I guess... want to let loose and howl at the Moon, perhaps seeing the fae as part of their Tribe might go with the Wodewoses.

That being said, Serenwilde is briefly described as a land of fae magic, the three groups that work together (kinda) in our vision quest are the Ancestors, the Centaurs, and the Fae. It is likely to draw more on the Moondancers, and Hartstone to a degree, because the fae have always had the higher importance to them, but maybe some incorporation with the song of creation could be worked in to bring some bard stuff? (if not directly "Spirit"singers)
    Especially if it goes the route that @Elryn describes, there could be themes of transcendence, one example that kinda pinged in my mind when thinking about the wonderland @Elryn described was the dream descriptions around the Wildewood transformation, that the merger of flesh and forest is a wonderful thing. I don't know if that's been explored much in the Shofangi, but maybe there's a link there too? Yeah, the Wildewood were created in a time of war, but maybe there's inspiration there to drive forward to a glorious nature future.

The degree the fae are involved is variable of course, but it makes sense I guess and I like a lot of the other stuff I can link with that concept.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear Member Posts: 2,555 Transcendent
    As a hopeful soon to be seren, really digging where these are going.
  • DemartelDemartel Member Posts: 441 Virtuoso
    Looking forward to the Wodewoses if that is how they will be.
  • KethaeraKethaera Member Posts: 593 Mythical
    Elryn said:
    If the first two factions focus on wild ferality and ancient vengeance, respectively, it seems like the third faction is going to need to be just as potentially dark in their own way. I guess this also has to capture the players who wanted a Winter Court type organisation somehow, as well as Saran's ideas around organic structures perhaps.

Could the fae-touched faction be centred around taking Ellindel's work to a frightening extreme? Where they seek to blur the boundaries between the Ethereal and Prime planes of existence, infusing the physical wilderness directly with fae magics and living energies towards a future in which the natural realm has all the power and potential already expressed within itself to heal and protect from any wound? I'd love this vision to be akin to a Burton-esque wonderland which is equal parts enchanting, confounding and deadly, and the faction itself could be structured as a formal society based on fae lineages and customs (and could easily have magical structures if desired).

Where the first faction is physical wildness (blurring boundaries between savage and sentient), and the second is temporal wildness (blurring boundaries between past/death and present/life), the third would then be magical wildness (blurring boundaries between what is and what could be).
    I like this idea, as I picture it as the justification that only by strengthening the natural forces could you overcome the Taint/overreach of the cities, regardless of the potential consequences. More about magic and the blending of the ethereal than the fae directly, for the reason @Maylea mentioned. I don't see a place for my character either, in the two factions mentioned(though I like them as concepts).
    Maylea said:
    One of the concerns I have had regarding making a fae-centric faction is that I feel that the fae should be important to everyone in the communes. My worry was that - like with making Moon and Hart focused factions, which we have worked to avoid - people would feel that if they were not in the fae faction that they were somehow unable to participate in that aspect of the forest. Like they had been excluded from it through the dedication of a single (or main) faction to it.

I would be interested to hear whether this is something people think would happen, or if you would actually rather things were set up that way, etc!

I think this is a risk for the ancestor faction too. Given the whole Spiritsinger skillset is based around them for example, there will have to be some sense that even if you aren't in THE ancestor faction, you can still feel as though the spirits are general enough to the forest that you just approach them in a different but equally valid way.

I think the fae/ethereal power will have to be at least partly central to the third faction, because it's such a key part of Serenwilde and yet I don't get any sense from the first two factions that this element is present much at all. It's also not as though the existence of the Moondancers currently means that all the other guilds feel excluded from the fae.

On the preservation/tending aspect that @Aeldra mentioned, I'd break this into two parts. The preservation part sounds like it could be captured by the 'kinder' ancestors that @Hoaracle wrote about - where you could focus a character on being guided to maintain the integrity of a past vision of health. The 'fae-tending' could be found at the gentler extreme of the third faction if it is ethereal focused, though I'm not sure that I would necessarily want the fae to be treated like garden herbs that wilt without intervention or protection. But some degree of service and protection I could definitely see expressed quite reasonably.
  • CyndarinAscendsCyndarinAscends Member Posts: 1,461 Transcendent
    My only comment is my instant aversion to things that sound like gibberish due to how new players perceive these things. They may appear to have depth in the long term, but in the short term, which means attracting new players, the made-up-words-guilds (like monks) appear to have a tougher go of things than the ones with real words. 

I'm assuming Wodewoses is a reference people in Serenwilde get, but as an outsider i have no idea what it means. IMHO, guild names need to be descriptive to have a better chance at success. They need to evoke an image. Wodewoses will, realistically, evoke nothing because it's a word that means nothing until it is explained.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman Member Posts: 4,384 Transcendent
    edited April 2016
    It's a real life mythology reference, not one to anything that exists in Serenwilde per se. So in that sense, it is a word that means something, as explained by a google search.  It's basically just a thing people called folks who were in real life people like that described in that faction. It's basically "Wild men". 
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear Member Posts: 2,555 Transcendent
    Here I thought I would just get my complimentary speech impediment after clearing my enemy statuses.
This discussion has been closed.