Opinions on Starmourn?

Comments

• @Xeria, yeah pretty much. But also like, I really like the idea of wandering around the world like that because someone perceiving AR could see like... Han and Chewie having a chat with someones specially crafted net avatar, but turning that off has the pair talking to themselves.

Kinda like dreamweaving except it's generally pretty easy to perceive the dreambodies (and you can customise the dreambody), with a Nirvana like area for most major cities that actually can affect things in "meatspace"
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Luce said:
    Seeking crew for a Lightningbug class ship called Tranquility.
    I'll be in my bunk.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I'm hoping at least one of the races is furry-bait. I like my fuzz-butts, and a lot of sci-fi settings have spacekitties if nothing else.
  • Gimme my bird-people winged race and I'll be in on Day 1.
  • Wookie with the serial numbers filed off.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Dunno, they might like it. 
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I would also accept artificially intelligent robot furries.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Daraius said:
    I have already come to terms with the fact that this will inevitably be a thing in the future.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • Daraius said:
    Robot furries that are nearly the last remnant of an ancient race of sentients. The ancient race was wiped out long ago, so the Theriandroids explore the galaxy to figure out what the hell actually happened to them.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I'll have what he's having.
  • New Starmourn info from Newsletter #1: A "holocord transcription" has been released.

• More info from Newsletter 2, about one of the races in the game.

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Oh, there's an interesting bit. One of the races outright prefers polyamorous relationships. Wonder if there's going to be a family/house system, and if that will have some method of taking polyamory into account.
  • Seriously can't wait for this to be out, the detail for this one is amazing, hoping they'll slip some system/skill stuff soon
  • Info on the Shen race has been released: http://www.starmourn.com/shen.html

If light travels so fast, how come it's never caught a ninja?
  • edited May 2016
    The female Shen makes me think we'll see some kinda psionics and the government stuff makes me wonder if there will be family based governments, but now I'm curious as to how orgs are actually going to work cause I don't think we'd get what... eleven different orgs.

Maybe alliances or the like...

Ngh, I really want forums and more info :'(

EDIT: Also I hope the Fatar are playable and next up for some info >_>
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    This page looks newish http://starmourn.com/what-is-kith/

Looks like this will be a low-magic game. Or at least as low magic as, say, Sword of Truth was pre-Richard. It also looks like it mentions another race we haven't seen yet, the Lha Ti, as well as the Y'saari, Rek, and Utan Mir previously mentioned. Though some of those may be extinct.
  • I'm really really hoping that the low magic will be complimented by high tech. Like the tek trinity of Mektek (mechanical), bitek (bilogical), and psitek (psionics) from "A Confusion of Princes" by Garth Nix or the Mass Effect trinity.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Looks like Kith is divided into Voidkith and Starkith, which is sort of like Yang and Yin, Entropy and Chaos, destruction and creation. It MAY end up as Starmourn's psionics. I'm hoping not though. I'd love to see cybernetics and augments in place of IRE enchantments, Tattoos, etc.
  • edited June 2016
    It was more hoping that, we'd have like robots, guns, cybernetics, and cyberspace (mechanical technology). Mixed with like biological tech such as mutations, implanted organs (perhaps something that produces strong pheremones or the like rather than psionic emotional control). With the Kith being the more "supernatural" elements.

Then you get the intersections between them, mutations to make you stronger and faster while wielding a blade, Starkith enhanced ammunition that's faster or more explosive. I'd also possibly place psionics in a intersection of biology and kith, using the kith to enhance dormant or low level psionic traits to usable levels.

In that concept, tattoos could be biological improvements or cybernetic improvements with the possibility of creating exclusive options for either side.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Hmm...almost looks like spaceships are going to be more like a core feature than the bonusy thing they are in Lusternia. Definitely not like Aetherships.
  • My expectation is that they're going to be our primary way of moving between content (planets) and because they'll be in there from the start a lot of basic systems will be set up with their existence in mind (trading for example), from memory when ToP was shelved on of the reasons cited was the space system and the need for it to be good for this genre.

Aetherships can't quite do that because they were added on later.
  • Three new things today:

Natl-El

Technology

F.A.Q

The faq is mostly about space ships which was released last week, though kinda bummed that space is going to be 2d :(

I'm hoping that mindsims might lead towards a hacking/cyberspace option in the game, though the lack of a mention of such may mean that it won't be.
  • I don't mind the 2D space much. There is a balance that needs to be struck between complexity and viability, especially in a MUD.
    See you in Sapience.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I like how they explain the new bodies after dying. It reminds me very much of the Hyperion New-U from Borderlands 2, and every time I rez I will be thinking of a snarky computer voice, saying something along the lines of, "Hyperion New-U wishes you luck in exacting your revenge on whatever it is that killed you, unless of course, you were killed by an employee of Hyperion."

Mindsims

Today, most beings are 'chipped' in a number of ways to make life easier. The chief among these is the almost universally-used mindsim. This is your personal datastore, your connection to the commsphere, and your all-around assistant, all running off a tiny chip inserted in your head when you were a child. They use uncrackable quantum encryption whose private key is the neural structure of your brain to stay secure, and they operate off the electrical energy your body generates.

Your mindsim is also key to your continued existence, because it is continually 'backing up' your encrypted neural state to a private d-vault in the commsphere so that, in case of untimely death, you can be resurrected into a body cloned from your cells and your memory up to the moment of death restored.

* * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."