Project Eclipse, or, We're Gonna Build a Cloud Wall and Make the Basin Pay For It

This is the log of Project Eclipse, which Ino thought up and we pushed through as a way of stopping Hallifax from being a giant magnifying glass. The idea was to summon in a yooge amount of clouds to block the sun from Hallifax, saving the Basin but most importantly cooling us off. We got it evaluated for chances of success (pretty good), and got Malimli to marshal her students to handle the logistics. (At which point I commented to Falmiis that it reminded me of the Battle of Hogwarts with McGonagall turning the statues to life. This will be important later.)

In which the Aeromancers do a cool thing, and Malimli says a thing that makes me very excited.

Before the Matrix.
Banks of clouds roil about here. Suspended by four bridges of transparent crystal, an enormous 
circular walkway looks out over the crystalline structure of Hallifax. The walkway is made of semi-
translucent gemstone with handrails around both the inner and outer circumference to prevent any 
unnecessary accidents. Though wispy clouds can be seen to move around the crystalline towers of 
Hallifax, the cool air here is only a gentle, serene breeze, as if the wind itself was tamed before 
the Nexus of Power. There are 10 cylindrical chairs of transparent crystal here. Encircling the area,
 a wide crystalline table sits upon a line of balustrades here. A statue of Elostian stands here, 
memorialising His noble spirit. There are 23 Sentinel Deputy Commissars here. The graceful, 
translucent form of a bird of paradise dances in the air, the insubstantial image shifting through a 
constant stream of vivid colours. Radiating with an incandescent brilliance, the Matrix floats 
within the circular walkway, slowly turning and revealing flowering geometric patterns. Wind 
whipping through his wings, Fraesic Sunfar, Keeper of the Matrix is here, face upturned to the chill 
breeze. There are 2 storm-coloured greyhounds here. There are 10 Guardians of the Dodecahedron here. 
In the shape of an open palm, a metallic sigil lies here. There are 3 iron bars in a group here. 
Eddies of glittering snow swirl around the graceful form of a formidable snow phoenix with wings of 
spectral ice. Surrounded by domothean death energies, an enormous map of the Catacombs of the Dead 
stretches across the open air. Understudy Kilee is here, shrouded. She wields a crystalline book of 
harmony, beauty, and logic in her left hand and an aerodynamic viola hewn from sapphire in her right.
 Doman Trueflight, Mystic Visionary is here. He wields a sleek beam generator in his right hand.You 
see exits leading northeast, southeast, southwest, and northwest.

A number of young Aeromancers begin to file out through the city, robes billowing as they make their 
way to towers and walkways.

(Hallifax): Falmiis says, "The preparations have been made. The Cloud Keeper suggests that we wait 
until dusk before we begin the process. However, we should start to gather at the Matrix now."

Throughout the city, small squadrons of Aeromancers cast their eyes to the sky in anticipation of 
something, gazing both above and below in focused vigil.

(Hallifax): Ileein says, "The more personnel present for the initiation of Project Eclipse, the better 
able we will be to respond to any changes in the situation."

Zyphora curtseys gracefully.

Her wings drawn close, the whispery Malimli Fairquillion enters from the southeast.

Provost Zyphora Windwhisper, the Sun-in-Glory says, "Could someone please kindly and concisely 
update me on the situation?"

Falmiis inclines his head politely to Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper.

Folding her wings so she can reach them easily, Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper preens her wings 
happily, straightening out the disheveled feathers.

Primus Ileein Shevat says, "Of course, Provost."

Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper inclines her head politely to those around her.

Zyphora curtseys gracefully before Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper.

Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper draws her wings in close for a moment, as if contemplating 
something.

Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper says, "Ah, Provost. Excellent."

Primus Ileein Shevat says, "I will be happy to summarize Project Eclipse for the benefit of all those gathered, since 
we will shortly commence."

Falmiis Shevat, the Stalwart Storm says to Zyphora, "We will be channeling the clouds from the Air 
Plane through the Matrix to create a barrier around the city."

Zyphora briefly inclines her head, her expression neutral as she appears to process the new 
information.

Primus Ileein Shevat says, "Indeed. The Cloud Keeper has been more than helpful in gathering the aeromantic students 
of the Centre to assist in controlling the clouds as they emerge through the link."

Fraesic Sunfar, Keeper of the Matrix alights upon the walkway once more, his experiments concluded. 
He nods his head to the Cloud Keeper respectfully.

Primus Ileein Shevat says, "This cloud barrier will block the solar radiation from the city, both cooling us and 
preventing dangerous refraction events such as those which have devastated Tosha Monastery and 
Tolborolla Valley."

Primus Ileein Shevat says, "It is good that you are here, Provost, as you will be able to assist the Cloud Keeper and 
the Chairman in that control effort."

Nodding slowly, Provost Zyphora Windwhisper, the Sun-in-Glory says, "I see."

Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper nods her head emphatically.

Flexing her wrist briefly and taking her Aeromantic staff in hand, Provost Zyphora Windwhisper, the 
Sun-in-Glory says, "Yes. Simply let me know what I must do when the time comes."

Stepping forwards and addressing the Aeromancers present, Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper says, 
"I suggest that we position ourselves evenly around the Matrix, at its zenith, and each take control 
of the clouds that come forth at our point."

Spitting flames, light and heat, the Sun lashes a searing whip across the vault of the sky toward 
the floating city of Hallifax. Diffracted through the city's innumerable facets and towers, it 
breaks off into several, blazing sunbeams that ravage the Basin of Life.

Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper says, "Focus not on willing them into a barrier, but on simply 
leashing them that they may not escape; the students shall take care of the rest."

Light flares throughout the world, illuminating the interior of buildings as brightly as if they 
were open to the sky, stealing away all salvation in the shadows.

Shadows grow longer in anticipation for the return of their dark mistress as Father Sun's chase 
brings him closer to the world's edge.

Fraesic Sunfar, Keeper of the Matrix nods his head emphatically.

Fraesic Sunfar, Keeper of the Matrix says, "I will open the link to the Plane of Air at its apex."

Zyphora nods, her mouth set in a firm line.

Casting her eyes to the sky, Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper says, "If everyone is ready?"

Falmiis nods his head at Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper.

Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper says to Zyphora, "Perhaps you would care to go to the southeast 
of the Matrix, Provost? I shall attend to the southwest, and the Emperor the north - a triangular 
formation, for balance."

Ileein straightens his black-and-gold stole and steps back from the circle of 
aeromancers, his cool white-gold glow brightening in the gathering dusk.

Zyphora nods affirmatively, quickly sweeping to the southeast of the Matrix to take her position, 
gripping her staff before her.

With a single flap of her wings, Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper launches several feet into the 
air. A few more beats have her at the height of the Matrix, where she begins to hover, arms spread 
out before her in expectation.

You see Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper yell, "Students, to ready positions!"

Primus Ileein Shevat says, "Those of us not taking part in the aeromantic working will be prepared to deal with any 
crises which may occur. Once the procedure is begun, we will have to deal with any potential 
interruptions, not that I expect any."

Calling down from above his position, Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper says to Fraesic Sunfar, 
Keeper of the Matrix, "We are ready when you are, Keeper."

Nodding his head, Fraesic Sunfar, Keeper of the Matrix says, "Then I will begin."

Lifting up into the air, the Keeper of the Matrix bows his head and begins to focus. Within moments 
the effect is palpable: electricity begins to thrum in the air about you, a strong wind crashes past 
and the howl of a gale echoes through the walkways.

Fraesic Sunfar, Keeper of the Matrix throws his hands to the sky, wings beating apace to keep 
himself afloat, and the mandala within the Nexus of Power glows a brilliant white.

A single, crystal clear note pierces the air as several wisps of silvery light drift in from the 
southeast, coalescing into the form of Irillia, riding a scintillating gold thunderbird.
A thunderclap amidst forks of white lightning announces the entrance of a scintillating gold 
thunderbird from the southeast.

Irillia curtseys gracefully.

You see Fraesic Sunfar, Keeper of the Matrix yell, "I am opening the link now. Be prepared."

Archmage Irillia Shevat says, "Greetings. I am glad to see I am not too late to help!"

Primus Ileein Shevat says, "Ah, Archmage. We are currently undertaking Project Eclipse, attempting to siphon clouds 
from the Plane of Air to occlude the dangerous solar radiation."

Showing that she understands, Irillia nods her head slowly.

Archmage Irillia Shevat says, "A brilliant solution. I hope that Project Eclipse shall work as 
expected."

Irillia Shevat rubs her chin thoughtfully and nudges her thunderbird into motion, positioning 
herself just to the east of Falmiis.

With a sudden surge of energy that shakes the walkways and a resounding crack of lightning, air 
rushes from the crest of the sphere and climbs upwards.

At once Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper reacts, weaving her hands in a complex pattern. Several 
large sections of cloud shudder throughout, ceasing their attempt to cascade up into the firmament.

Zyphora gracefully sweeps her staff through the air, the pale, wispy clouds in her immediate 
vicinity growing denser and more opaque as they gather around her in billowing masses.

Ileein steadies himself with a hand on the flank of his grey-eyed eagle as the 
walkway shudders.

Irillia moves her arms swiftly through the air in the manner of a conductor leading an orchestra in 
the performance of a symphony, guiding the clouds upward toward the tops of Hallifax's towers.

With a practiced air, Zyphora flicks her wrist and the vicinity resounds with the symphony of an 
orchestra. The music swells to crescendo before fading, the haunting notes of a violin lingering in 
its wake.

Falmiis raises his staff, his attention focused on the air flowing out of the Matrix.

You see Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper yell, "Now, students! Create the barrier!"

Plumes of clouds of every type begin to billow from the city of Hallifax. At first it seems like an 
explosion of cumulus, stratas and cirrus - but then as they swirl out above the city, they begin to 
shift, as if being drawn into some sort of formation.

Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper strains as she continues to focus on leashing the clouds before 
they can escape, a determined glimmer in her eyes.

After some time, their intent becomes clear: little by little, the plumes of cloud are pulled down 
and around - until, eventually, they blanket the entire city in an opaque barrier.

Cheers erupt throughout Hallifax in a brief display of emotion, quickly replaced by polite applause. 
The city becomes a little dimmer, and the air even more humid - but the glare of the sun fades, 
replaced by the crackle of electricity.

Only when she is certain that the barrier is firmly in place does Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper 
land, swaying slightly on the spot from exertion.

Fraesic Sunfar, Keeper of the Matrix follows suit moments after, a focused look still upon his 
features. "The gateway is holding," he says, raising his voice to be heard over the storm. "But I 
must keep my focus upon it; forgive me." He turns towards the Matrix, leaning on the handrail 
closest to it and returning to monitoring its status.

You nod your head emphatically.

Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper exhales slowly, allowing a long fluid breath to creep from her 
lungs.

Pulsating a warm white-gold, Primus Ileein Shevat says, "Well done to the Aeromantic personnel present."

Looking up at the barrier, Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper says, "It has worked, then."

Wiping a hand across her brow in relief, Archmage Irillia Shevat says, "Thank you sincerely for your 
excellent work, Keeper Fraesic and Cloud Keeper Malimli."

With a soft, airy exhalation, Provost Zyphora Windwhisper, the Sun-in-Glory says, "I must echo the 
Archmage's sentiment. Thank you. And to the students who aided in our success."

With a small nod, Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper says, "I shall pass along your thanks, Provost."

With an undercurrent of amusement, Provost Zyphora Windwhisper, the Sun-in-Glory says to Fraesic 
Sunfar, Keeper of the Matrix, "I could not have said it better myself."

Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper glances out towards the cloud barrier, which now envelops the 
entire city. "A wall of clouds," she murmurs, softly. "I have always wanted to do that."

Primus Ileein Shevat says, "We will continue gathering data on the interaction between the barrier and the solar 
energies. Come dawn, it is to be hoped our array of data will prove promising."

Irillia beams broadly at Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper.

You nod your head in agreement.

Archmage Irillia Shevat says to Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper, "I am sorry for the terrible 
necessity of it, but I am glad that you have had the opportunity to fulfil your concept."

Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper says to Falmiis, "I must go to check on the students. Be advised 
that even taking their work in shifts, they shall be unable to maintain the barrier indefinitely."

Primus Ileein Shevat says, "We have, it is to be hoped, ameliorated the symptoms, but a treatment for the cause must 
still be sought."

Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper nods her head demurely in agreement.

Falmiis Shevat, the Stalwart Storm frowns and says, "Let us hope it will not come to that."

Zyphora nods her head affirmatively.

Archmage Irillia Shevat says, "We shall at least hope that the cloud barrier will give us the time 
we need to devise a more lasting solution."

With a deep, slightly fragile curtsey, Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper says, "Archmage, Provost, 
Emperor; it has been a pleasure working with you. May future opportunities be less fraught with our 
impending dessication."

Malimli Fairquillion, Cloud Keeper inclines her head politely to those around her.

Drawing her wings in, the whispery Malimli Fairquillion leaves to the southeast.

Hair and feather vanes alike begin to stand on end as electricity crackles throughout the City of 
Hallifax, moisture hanging thick in the air.
Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."

Comments