Helping Us Help Newbies!

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Bah.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited April 2013
    Dhoggne said:
    I would love some information on the ways of my commune, the Glomdoring, and on the gameworld in general.  There have been a few people who've been very helpful, but I'm still left feeling like a bewildered idiot most of the time.  I've completed the Collegium tasks and passed out of Newton, but I still don't know how the planes work. I know how to give power to the Master Ravenwood, but have no clue as to how to get power for myself.  HELP POWER and HELP DROSS POWER don't give any syntax. There are guild files that tell about village revolts, but I don't even know if I'm supposed to be helping with things like that. If this is important work, I reckon there ought to be more information available about it.
    I agree with Dhoggne that the syntax for how to get power from the nexus (it's just LINK NEXUS by the way) can be difficult to find.

That said, Dhoggne, if you're not sure how to help, or if you're supposed to help, ask someone. There's a limit to how much people can put into a help file, and most people don't want to waste their time (and yours) by going into a ton of detail about something you may or may not already know. Also more interaction is good! You may be afraid of pestering people, but frankly most people are happy to sit down and explain things to someone really confused, or if they don't have time, pass you on to someone else. But you do need to do some initiating. Also, during a revolt itself may not be the time to ask lots of questions about it.

You may wish to snag an undersecretary, or a collegium professor if you find your guild leaders too busy/too intimidating to talk to, because those are people who have specifically volunteered to answer novice questions, and most of the ones I know are pretty good at it. Also if you start asking about flavour stuff, most people will happily talk your ear off about things.

Feel free to ask Gwydion stuff if you see me in game. And feel free to use the collegium channel even after you've graduated.

that said, this picture  is among the most helpful pictures I know for thinking about the planes. Your abilities from Planar will let you travel from one plane to the next, but only between planes that are next to each other.
  • I have to second Gwydion on this.  Remember, this is a game BASED off player interaction.  If you're confused about something, find someone who look useful (like a guild or city member in a leadership position), and just start talking with them.  There is  A LOT to learn.

I suggest you start working on your guild progression stuff.  Try to figure out what you like to do.  You you like to hunt?  To influence?  To write things?  To learn about the lore of Lusternia?  To fight?  Most guilds have advancement paths (or entire sects of the guild) devoted to these sorts of things.  Try 'em out!

And remember - you're more likely to get answers to questions you ask someone personally than to questions you ask over the city aether.  For example, you probably don't know it, but most of us Glommies are killin' people in the revolt, so we're a little tied up!
  • I am relatively new but I can say I am already quite invested in Lusternia. The biggest hurdle I had to overcome to become invested in Lusternia is the credit system. It has also made it very difficult for me to recommend the game to my friends who do not have copious amounts of cash. My first character I ever made was a warrior in Glomdoring. For me it was devastating to learn how many credits I would need to spend on runes, lessons, curing systems, etc. That is no small amount of money just to feel like I had a chance to help my organization. I then realized I could just buy more credits and theoretically spin the wheel to demi. The game felt pointless and was just a money sink.

What helped me overcome the hurdle was learning about the bardic and artisan contests. Then I found out about all the achievements that rewarded me 100 credits on completion. These aspects of Lusternia did not hand me any instantaneous power. They let me know “hey, it's possible”.  I would strongly encourage more achievements (and the like) that require ludicrous amounts of dedication that reward players heavily in credits. These tasks should rarely be completed, but players should feel that there are other ways to become a competent PvP participant besides laying down large amounts of cash(ie make a point of offering enough reward credits to buy runes, lessons, curing systems, if they put in years and years of dedication).  Once they feel it is possible they will get involved and naturally start buying credits. I, for example, have never won a bardic or artisan contest or completed any 100 credit achievement yet I have recently bought credits. All because I feel it is possible.

-

One change that I believe would instill the thought of “hey, it's possible” is a change to the credit market. It is hard for new players to compete with the veterans who have large amounts of gold lying around and have triggers that immediately buy cheap credits. New players, including myself, have had the unfortunate experience of trying to remember CREDITS BUY <number> AT <max gold per credit>, getting lost in help files, then finally realizing the credits are already gone.

I would suggest creating a command CREDITS SELL <number> AT <gold per credit> NEWBIE. This command would place credits on the credit market but only newbies could see them offer or buy them. The cut off time that I will throw out there for a place holder is when you can become a mentor. Pejat is old enough to be a mentor so I would not personally benefit from this.

This also allows veteran players a way to earn gold and help novices. Player's should not be forced to go around the admin credit market just to help improve the game by personally judging if someone is young enough to sell credits to them.

If this were to be enacted I would also casually suggest achievements to encourage this market

1. TASK: Buy at least one credit from the credit market, while telling them how to do so REWARD: 1 bound credit

2. TASK: Sell [number] credits on the newbie credit market. REWARD: %xp buff

For Mister Zvoltz, Pejat has been terminated by the Replicant Dynodeon.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    I don't see newbie credit market happening... or working. Nobody will sell at it, plus... you think those same people don't have low-level alts? Never mind the part where a newbie buying credits at say... 5k on the newbie market will just as easily then go ahead and resell them on the regular market for 25k+

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • How many bound credits do you get from levelling now? The help levels file is out of date.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I believe you get a total of 291 credits leveling. 
  • Elanorwen said:
    I don't see newbie credit market happening... or working. Nobody will sell at it, plus... you think those same people don't have low-level alts? Never mind the part where a newbie buying credits at say... 5k on the newbie market will just as easily then go ahead and resell them on the regular market for 25k+
    I have seen multiple players lament that the credits on the credit market immediately go to veteran players and not newbie players.  I think this would be one potential way to solve it that people would use.

It really isn't such a bad thing for an alt to get cheaper credits to help them get up on their feet.  They shouldn't be treated any less because they have experience.  

The simple solution to people reselling them at higher values or using alts to transfer them to their mains is to make them into bound credits when they are transferred.  If they really want unbound credits they can go to the main credit market or just purchase credits for themselves.  
  • Pejat said:
    Elanorwen said:
    I have seen multiple players lament that the credits on the credit market immediately go to veteran players and not newbie players.  I think this would be one potential way to solve it that people would use.

It really isn't such a bad thing for an alt to get cheaper credits to help them get up on their feet.  They shouldn't be treated any less because they have experience.  

The simple solution to people reselling them at higher values or using alts to transfer them to their mains is to make them into bound credits when they are transferred.  If they really want unbound credits they can go to the main credit market or just purchase credits for themselves.  
    The main problem with it is that there's no motivation to sell your credits for cheap to newbies, except for that one achievement. Even if motivation was added, like an XP bonus every time you sell to a newbie, the # of credits a newbie could acquire before getting out of novicehood would be pretty low.

What you need to do is set up an alias that will immediately buy credits below a certain price point, so you can just hit that really fast.

I do agree with you though. I don't even recommend Lusternia to friends any more because I know they'll just scoff at the prices and how much pay2win there is.

I like that they increased how many bound credits you get from levelling, at least you can trans 1 guild skill now, but it should really be higher. Credit prices and the cost to level a skill are really relics of an older marketplace. Today's gamers want to get core things for free and buy extras. 

It would be nice if you could trans the 3 guild skills by levelling. I think that would make new players feel more comfortable about playing, and even spending money, in the long run. 
  • I would never consider Lusternia pay2win, especially since all conflict PvP is geared towards groups and every single org I've ever been in offers numerous rewards.

Sure, you can buy credits.  But, you can also submit to bardic and artisnals, take advantage of org credit sales, and many other things to advance.

The only thing you have to invest in Lusternia is time.
  • You and I, who have experience with this game, know there are ways to acquire credits.

It's not obvious to new players, and to be fair to them, while you can get everything in the game by investing time, it's going to take a ludicrous amount of it. And it should be quite the grind or else IRE wouldn't make any money, but it's a super steep grind.

And also, any game where you can buy power is going to be labelled pay 2 win. 
  • edited May 2013
    Kio said:
    This is the thing that needs emphasizing.  Many new players are confronted with the considerable cost of lessons and artifacts and they quit right away.  You have to do a small bit of digging before you can discover all the ways to earn credits.
    Pejat said:
    Kio said:
    This is the thing that needs emphasizing.  Many new players are confronted with the considerable cost of lessons and artifacts and they quit right away.  You have to do a small bit of digging before you can discover all the ways to earn credits.
    Dunno.. I had an omnitrans by the age of 30 on Aetolia without buying a single credit. It's doable, relatively easy too.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Aetolia has some key economic and mechanical differences that make buying credits in game a much easier and realistic prospect for those who really need to do so.
  • What are those differences? I've only played Aetolia for a few hours.
    Enyalida said:
    Aetolia has some key economic and mechanical differences that make buying credits in game a much easier and realistic prospect for those who really need to do so.
    That was... ummmm... 4 months after Aetolia started is about the time when I made said character.

• Aren't credit prices notoriously low when IRE games first start?
    Alban said:
    Aren't credit prices notoriously low when IRE games first start?
    Have no idea. Never bought any off the market. Again, it is doable... and I never said anything about credit market either.

Aetolia's economy hasn't been glutted with Wheel spins, for one. Credits at 3250? Yes plz.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    The bloat certainly hasn't helped newbies get into the game.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Mmm...I remember when they were able to hunt up enough credits to trans their skills in a reasonable amount of time. I honestly do get worried at these credit prices these days.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    It is easier now to get Demigod, to get gold, and to get credits. Of course, now that everything you need costs way more gold, credits, and essence than it used to, it makes it that much harder to acquire. We're very quickly becoming a pay-to-survive game.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Provide a command (or config) to cut off after having linked N non-dross links, either during that weave or perhaps just since starting the link.

So either
    CONFIG LINKLIMIT 10
    LINK NEXUS
    and it'll cut you off after 10 non-dross links, and not permit you to link again that month (unless you change your config), or
    LINK NEXUS 10
    and it'll cut you off after 10 non-dross links, but you can still link again. Whichever's simplest.
    Akyaevin said:
    Provide a command (or config) to cut off after having linked N non-dross links, either during that weave or perhaps just since starting the link.

LINK NEXUS 10
    and it'll cut you off after 10 non-dross links, but you can still link again. Whichever's simplest.
    Can't we already do that?

Also, helping novices: it would be cool if someone could look at Gaudiguch's novice tasks, primarily the healing one. In killing the flamelings, they only take one hit to kill. You don't have to cure anything, you don't have to even sip unless you're a magic user and use mana. You kill seven mobs at one hit apiece, and you're done once you turn them in.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Is there really any reason for the Broadcast related skillset to exist? All I've found this does it is cuts off newer players from people who can answer their questions. They've got college channels until they graduate but there's still so much to ask and learn once you have done so, and it's disheartening to ask questions and think everyone's ignoring you, especially when GWHO/CWHO show people on other planes, but no one is replying.

It's essentially a sequence of skill investments on something that should be baseline, yes I know there's Omniscience, leave that for communication to and from bubbles, there's simply not enough cult leaders in the game to make that an effective band-aid fix.

Either that or Broadcast should allow you to hear communication on all planes but Aetherbubbles.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong) that CGT can be heard from everywhere, even if the novice has sucky planar.

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    CGT can but the problem is once you graduate you can't use it until you're capable of being a mentor.

So there's that periodic gulf between graduation and mentor status where you're in limbo, and all anyone can really tell you is "Sorry, your planar sucks."

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I actually think there is a flaw in being unable to use newbie once you hit that certain level - I remember myself even, that just because you're level 50 or whatever doesn't mean you aren't still a newbie, and have questions! And if they're ooc type ones, it's hard to put them forward ICly. I figure the point is that only newbies and people who should know how to help can use it, but the limitation is probably not required, and may even hamper those beyond 'novice' stage.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I've seen any number of non-newbies (quite a few Demigods as well) using it to ask "duh" questions too; Lusternia's a pretty complicated game, and sometimes you just need an answer to something which is stumping you but really shouldn't be.  It is kind of awkward that the people excluded from it are the ones who just barely left their newbie-hood behind but still don't know a lot.