the Expedition - a Pokémon Mafia game. (GAME OVER. SYLANDRA WINS. TOWN WINS.)

Comments

• Ssaliss said:
    Silly Cen being immune to investigations :(

Also, @Othero, I have to ask... Was it your plan to kill me, or was it actually a typo? I realised (pretty much right after I died) that "Okay, blaming killing me on a typo would've been a pretty good plan".
    I screwed up so badly.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    @CyndarinAscends you did have one protection power, but Thul accidentally gardevoir'ed himself and locked in before talking to the rest of the cult. 

Honedge was assigned, too, and by the amount of protections (and renewed protection) I gave it you can see how much insanity I was expecting coming her way.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Just to clear things up: I killed Lehki! (Flavor-wise, I actually gave him a poison pill and forced him to kill himself, but yeah.)

Look sharp, Melali!

Officer Jenny here, and I...wow, I can't believe my own little recruit is going off with the Champion! You've been with me since you joined the Academy, and now...now your first solo mission is taking you so far away. I'll just have to trust I trained you well, huh? Listen, you have to remember everything I taught you, and keep everyone safe. There are so many bad people in the world, it's statistically impossible that everyone on this trip will be good. Take care, don't over-do it, and honour this badge. 

You are the Jailor. Each night you may pick one person to separate from the rest of the group to interrogate. You have three executions. You win with the champion.

Dispatch gave me permission to give you this little guy, so take care of him, okay? He's like us, he looks scary, but deep down he just wants to do good.

Your Pokemon is: Deino, a Dragon/Dark type. His ability 'Intimidate' allows you to nullify any active power you see, usable once every three turns. Your Pokemon can EVOLVE. You are immune to Ground/Psychic.

And...here's your badge. Don't let me down, kid. Now you better hurry so you don't miss anyone getting on the train.

************Night 1 (Jail Ileein)

As you wander the hallways, you notice a figure stepping out of their car and your proactive reflexes take over. Quickly you bum rush him, stealing his pokeball and detaining him with one hand over his mouth and the other twisting his arm behind him back. You drag him along until you find an empty car and head in, ready to interrogate him.

(I'm not going to post all my night messages, since they were mostly either me jailing someone, or me not jailing someone. )
    Night Actions:
    Jail Ileein.
    Jail Sylandra.
    Jail Phoebus.
    Jail Kalaneya.
    Jail Thul (failed).
    Jail Dylara.
    Jail Cen (redirected to Lehki). Execute Lehki.
    Jail Cen.
    Jail Cyndarin.
    Jail Krackenor.

*************Execute Lehki message. (Because it's the best bit of flavor!)

As a small clock on Melali's Pokegear goes off, he checks the time before stepping up and putting a pill on the table before Lehki. "I don't believe you in the slightest, and can feel that you're a danger to the town, but you did cooperate. So," he pauses and moves to the side of the room, filling a small paper cup with water and placing it in front of Lehki before folding his arms. "I'm afraid you have to die. Now you can be a man and do this yourself, or you can sit there struggling until I force it down your throat. What's it going to be?"

After a long stare-down, Lehki gives a long-suffering sigh and says, "I honestly wanted to see the new place, y'know? It's not often you get a signed permission slip from your Lord to visit the Holy Land in a mission to protect His sworn children from harm." He leans forward and presses his tongue to the table, sticking the pill to it before leaning back up and swallowing. "A ittuhl hep?" He nods at the water and Melali gingerly pours a little into his open mouth, watching as he swallows and then opens his mouth to show that he has, indeed, swallowed it. "Listen, I can't ask anything of you, but we were protecting the Alola Region for a reason. Don't let the Champion rape my Lord's land, even if you want to explore it. Make him keep his promise that it won't effect the Pokemon there, please."

Melali says nothing, turning away as Lehki sways and blinks in confusion, staring at the man's back. "Pl...please," he sighs breathily as he falls forward, his head slamming into the table, finally dead.

MELALI HAS EXECUTED LEHKI.

As for game balance, I did feel that my role was a bit overpowered. I could jail someone else, which roleblocked and protected them, I automatically jailed myself, I could talk to those I jailed and prevent them from talking to others, I could be a Vigilante 3 times, and my flavor was pretty clear that I was Town. Honestly, my first thought when I saw my role was "Wow, I'm sort of super safe. I can do whatever I want." Especially with Deinos's Intimidate, which I could use in case anyone wanted to Day Vigilante kill me.

Anyway, I first tried to build up this Town faction with my talking power. I would go to people I thought were Town, talk to them, and then move on. My plan was eventually have a bunch of people that would a) share information through coded messages, b) would not lynch me/follow my lynch leads, and c) all have shared their most personal secrets with me. The coded messages thing collapsed by Kalaneya, as we never used them and it wasn't worth the time thinking of new code phrases and everything. The lynch thing also failed, because there was never anything that I knew that was super crucial/not known to the rest of Town. Also, there were so many posts and the information was so unreliable that I stopped keeping track of who said what exactly by the 4th or 5th in-game Day. And, obviously, once I figured out that Sylandra had lied to me, I sort of stopped trusting what people said. I still pumped them for all their info, but I didn't trust the info or share much.
  • Honestly, I suspected that Melali was scum because the role was so incredibly defensive. To me, there had to be a chink in the armour, so I figured that Melali would get converted by Cen when Cen got jailed. After all, you'd be spending the whole night having a talk with a very charismatic cult leader.

Also, I really don't like the jailer that mixes vig and mason powers with the role. I know it's done like that in Town of Salem but... well I haven't made a secret of my disdain for ToS. Base jailer is already very strong. Be it if it mixes doctor and roleblocker, or rolestopper and roleblocker.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    I really enjoyed the fake power that @Melali came up with when he was fronting Krackenor on the last night, it's a shame it never got relayed. 

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    @Melali I really enjoyed bluffing to you. I think you could have killed me if you'd used your ability on me in the jailing. That felt like the highest stakes moment of the game for me.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    @Tremula Ah, well in that case I would have said better balance would have been a (non-renewing) X-Shot protection covering both night/day for Honedge, and to have dumped the Lynchproof trainer aspect. Playing favorite with a role (or the person in that role) by giving them that much protection immediately throws balance out the window... (Lehki was also overpowered, as it turned out, but was blocked from acting for most of it!)

I thought I had actually done pretty well in my deflection of getting people to question whether Sylandra was telling the whole truth with the whole I CAN ACTIVATE MY POKEMON/offering Victini to Othero gambit, even having already shot my credibility with the earlier Celina play. Though even if it had been successful it still wouldn't have removed her from play. :(

(also agree with Kiradawea on ToS Jailer being too strong. Protect/Block others, or protect yourself is already strong enough for forum mafia!)
  • Tremula said:
    I really enjoyed the fake power that @Melali came up with when he was fronting Krackenor on the last night, it's a shame it never got relayed. 
    Tremula said:
    Pshah! I promised not to relay it, did I not?! 
  • I totally knew that Melali could execute.
    Strongman, forced cult convert, or willowisp would have been able to kill Melali through his protections. I'll wait for Melali to decide to share his lie or not, but if he doesn't I will be using it for future games.

• Ssaliss said:
    Lehki said:
    Ssaliss said:
    Silly Cen being immune to investigations :(

Also, @Othero, I have to ask... Was it your plan to kill me, or was it actually a typo? I realised (pretty much right after I died) that "Okay, blaming killing me on a typo would've been a pretty good plan".
    It was because Cen  being jailed that night. Tremble told us that if she hadn't been jailed you would have bumped into her directly and something about her would have been obviously way off to you
    Man, that's two people I didn't catch that I investigated :( First night I investigated Salome, but got earthquake'd. And with Cen, I got Melali'd. Le sigh.
    When the cults merged my biggest fear was you investigating Cen and finding her, since every other scum was essentailly caught at that point, and were focusing a lot of my plans around making sure you didn't. And then the night after I died you did, and it didn't matter anyway. And then Othero killed you. I was honestly cackling.
  • For posterity:

Half of a whole.

Together forever.

Birds of a feather.

All have been used to describe you and your partner, and like your mentors before you (even if they were bumbling Team Rocket goons), you've forged a friendship so dynamic it'll last through any and everything. Jesse pulls you aside as the four of you approach the station, and glancing back at her partner and yours she gives you a hard look.

They're our favourite people in the world, but they're soft. You've got to do whatever it takes to protect yours, just as I've done whatever it takes to protect mine. 

She gives you a knowing look, and you remember your life before your partner. How you had to fight people to eat, how you had no problem with twisting a neck to get the scarf wrapped around it and help you survive another night. Without another word, the two of you nod at each other and you head back to the station.

You are Hyde, of the Jekyll and Hyde pair! You are a vicious killer, curbed only by your partner. Once a night you may choose a target and end their existence. You win if you and your partner make it to the end of the journey alive. If one of you dies, you both do. 

Jesse hands you a pokeball, and without looking at the serial identification you know who's inside.

Your Pokemon is Purrloin, a Dark type! It knows the move 'Fake Out'. Only usable once per target, you may cause them to flinch, preventing either the trainer or their Pokemon from taking action. Your Pokemon may EVOLVE. You are immune to Psychic.

You and your partner take out your badges at the same time and show them to the ticket master. You hold hands on your way to find a car with enough room for both of you, and wait for the journey to begin.

N1:
    You wait until Synkarin is done fussing over the small cut you managed to get on your walk earlier and watch as his chest begins to rise and fall more deeply. You know him well enough now to know that you can leave without being seen, and make your way to Cyndarin's car. As you steal in, smile a twisted smile, seeing him rummaging in his luggage with his back turned to you. You raise your toothbrush over your head, the end carefully carved into a deadly shiv, and poise your hand to strike down carefully into his throat, ending his life instantly, when a sudden tremor rocks the train, causing you to drop your toothbrush and let out a startled yelp. 

Before Cyndarin can turn around to see what the sound was, though, you're halfway down the hall and back towards your room to check on your sleeping partner. You'll be damned if Synkarin is blasting off again without you. You twist your foot as you're running, and when you arrive he tuts at you and helps you off the train. He forbids you from putting any weight on it, and you know that you'll be unable to perform any day actions.

N2:
    You leave your partner once he has fallen asleep, and make your way to find Vivet, your Jolteon-shaped hairdryer clutched in hand. She's an easy target, it turns out, and as you trail her while she makes her way towards the dining car, you waylay her into an empty, nearby room that is pitch black. Before she can act you have the power cord wrapped around her neck, strangling the life from her. Though she claws in your general direction, your skilled hands keep the cord taut until she no longer moves. You stand and look at your handiwork before a silver light spreads across her body and she sits up straight, staring at the sky as the cord burns from around her neck. You flee the scene before she sees your face, and escape to lay down next to your partner and wonder what the hell just happened. Purrloin purrs softly next to you, and you hope she was nearly as successful as you were.

Fun messages:

Iosion July 13

Can I suggesting strangling someone with the cord of a hair dryer shaped like Jolteon? Or maybe poisoning them with cyanide poured from a 3oz refillable shampoo bottle with a pin-up of Nurse Joy on it? I really like the Toiletry Bag Marauder thing you started with the toothbrush shiv. I apparently also like bastardizing the innocence of Pokemon merchandise.

• Tremula July 14
      Vivet said:
      Someone attempted to strangle me with the cord of a hair dryer that was shaped like a Jolteon, apparently, so if we have a Hygiene Accessories Killer then that was them?

• TremulaTremula July 14
      I hope you enjoy this.
    • IosionIosion July 14
      You have no idea how much I am! I was about to correct her: "it's The Toiletry Bag Marauder, thankyouverymuch."

3 3 3

oooo, broken razor blade in the shape of a Bisharp! ooooo puncture a FurFrou-themed aerosol hairspray can and toss it in their cabin with a lit match! Must have the Nurse Joy pin-up shampoo bottle filled with acid.

Omg so much love.
    More messages:

Iosion July 6
    I also want to kill Luce for claiming I'm not top percentage 3:)
    OH cruel Fate, when wilt thou weary be?
    When satisfied with tormenting me?
    What have I e'er designed, but thou hast crost?
    All that I wished to gain by thee, I've lost:
    From my first infancy, thy spite thou'st shown
    and from my cradle, I've thy malice known...
    Since they may not be paying attention/unable to share themselves: 

Law and Order are things that every society must have in order to progress in a constructive manner. As your bags are loaded onto the train towards the expedition, you can't help but muse on what sort of horrors await you in this new region without a guiding, logical hand in its existence. You shudder at the thought of the savagery the poor explorers would drop into if it weren't for Champion Alec's fortunate insight to invite you along. 

As you stroke your darling Pokemon's fur from her resting place inside your handbag, you pass your Trainer's Card to the ticket master and step onto the locomotive, looking for an empty car to call your own.

You are the Magistrate. You may declare a person under your protection, preventing them from being lynched and refunding votes, but not ending the day phase. You may only activate this once per person, and only three times in total. You win with the Champion.

Your Pokemon is Vulpix, a Fire type. It knows the move 'Flamethrower'. Using it will burn a target, rendering them unable to act without damaging themselves until they are healed by a Pokemon Centre or a doctor. If they harm themselves this way three times before being healed, they will die permanently. Your Pokemon can EVOLVE.

>~<~>~<~>~<~>~<~>~<~>~<~>~<

The nightmares only stopped after you began serving Him. The Darkness of the Moon, the Nightmare Unending, your Lord Darkrai. Now the nightmares are your tool against your enemies, and your enemies are His. Those who would stand against Him and tarnish the new lands with human feet...those fools like the Champion Alec and the ones who worship false gods...You will show them your Master's ire. They will descend into a sleep so dark that their dreaming form will be sundered, killing their mortal form as well.

You stroke the token of Darkrai in your bag, avoiding showing it off as you pull out your Trainer card and are granted access onto the train. Soon, He will reward you with sweet dreams, when you fulfill His desires.

You are the Serial Killer. You may target one trainer each night and attempt to kill them. You win when you are the last one standing.

The Pokemon you caught this morning nudges you, and you glance at him sidelong. He smiles widely, and you offer a faint one in return. Perhaps you will grow to care for him, once your purpose is completed.

Your Pokemon is Kecleon, a Normal type! It's ability is Camouflage. Once every day and night phase, you may instruct it to transform into a Pokemon type of your choice by stating, "Kecleon, transform." The end result is hidden from everyone but you.

• What I described my power as to Krackenor:

(Disregarding the Role Block/Protection aspects of my power) 
    I can choose someone each night and talk to them. At the end of the night, I can then choose to activate my Judgement power. If the person I'm talking has lied during our conversation (probably only about things in the past), then they die. If they have not, then I die. 

In terms of balancing, I would picture this as a more powerful Vigilante power. After all, if the person didn't lie to you, then you die. However, you get the chance to talk to them before deciding to risk killing them, and if you're wrong, you don't actually kill them. Also, you could masquerade as a Neighbor, since you don't have to kill. Also, if you reveal your role to the Town, then you can use it to verify that someone is Town or not. If you die, then they know that whoever you targeted was telling the truth. You can't really use it as a Truthteller, since if they told the truth, then you're dead, and if they lied, well, they're dead and you only have their lies. 
    @Ushaara I agree with your suggestions re: my role. For what it's worth you were maddeningly hard to get lynched!! First Weiwae then the Alec double drama.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Why is Sylandra OP? Discuss.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

Tea and pantsuits. Rebuttal?

• Also @Thul and @Cen. I really wanted to stratergize about how to use the recruit message and deception message to bluff and threaten people.

The way our cult conversion worked exactly, was in the middle of the night, we would send somebody the recruit message, saying whatever we wanted, and they had a choice to except and join us, or reject it. If they joined us, they'd get pulled into our night chat immidately, but wouldn't get a new power till the next night, which Cen would pick for them out of a list only she could see. Actually would like to know what the other options were. 

OH also there was a time limit for cult, that's what those numbers counting down. Tremula said she was keeping them vague in case she decided the number needed to be adjusted up or down on the fly for whatever reason. 

In the person resurrect by Kalaneya's power case(Vivet) she could reject us once, but if we used the power on her again she wouldn't have a choice. Allyriane also had a 1-shot power to force convert somebody.

We also had the option to kill somebody instead of attempting to convert. We killed Luce that night because he was essnentially an investigator, but we figured he'd be less likely to be watched or protected then Ssaliss, and also we couldn't use new conversion powers till the next night.

My original plan was to send people the recruitment message, but then just ell them "if you decline we're going to force convert you anyway with a 1-shot, and then you'll be on our team anyway but we'll be down a power." And we were planning to start with Ssaliss. But then the rez power randomly picked Vivet, who had too much info on town. She didn't say anything about Cen yet, but we still decided to try converting her first, but she declined said she'd keep confusing town and then flip town when she got eventually killed to lend her creditibly.

Was planning again to go for Ssaliss the next night, but then Thul revealed his sweet pokemon power and cemented himself as very strongly as town with mayor status we decided to steal him. But then he just never replied to our message at all, so we just used the forced one-shot on him. But I got jailed that night too and couldn't really talk.

They recruited Cyndarain next which was a really easy sell. Think they basically said "You're clearly bored. Come have fun." And she jumped at that chance.

I wanted to suggest to them to keep going for recruitment, because we desperately needed the numbers to beat the clock. Wanted to say they should send the recruitment message, and still tell them we were going spend a force recruitment power if they rejected, and then use the deception power to trick them into thinking they were converted. Think it would have really helped sell the message, and going for converts was probably safer then kills, since there were so many protections and ways to watch/block people floating around, and the convert went around all of those. Dunno if this would have helped us save Cen in the end though.
    Tremula said:
    False. I do not wear pantsuits!
    Daraius said:
    Oh! Right! So long as there was a member of the original Following active, the countdown was active, you'll note that once they started dropping, the numbers stopped being as obvious, and then at all. I had a very neat but very crazy double-Pokemon for everyone situation where you'd have 2/3 days to get the Chosen or you'd all perish terribly. Lunala destroys the ship. People drown. Soggy cornflakes. Thinking of mother. Crying.

Sylandra said:
    Tremula said:
    False. I do not wear pantsuits!
    Then it is the lack of pantsuits!

• I kinda figured that was why the countdown stopped. If any of the orginal cult members were still alive, killing Cen would not have ended the game right away, and town would still have to keep hunting down the rest of us, right? Too bad pretty much all of us had been caught by the time cults merged.
  • For posterity, the Thul megapost of doom:

----

With little pomp or circumstance, you offer your Trainer Card to the ticket master and step onto the train, turning around to wave farewell at the small crowd gathered to see you off. Your son, in the front, tears up as the newly polished Seal of the Mayor gleams on his brow. He did not expect to take the office so soon, but circumstance forces us all to change even the most set in plan. You step into a nearly empty car and take a seat near the window, gazing out fondly on the little town you governed for all these years. The best years of your life, you realise, were seeing the town flourish under your guiding hand and grow into the prosperous paradise it had become. 

You close your eyes and settle back into your seat as the train begins to move, resting for the long journey ahead. Next to you, your Pokemon follows your lead, though his head rests against your arm rather than the seat. The boy you found in the woods so long ago...grown up and become Champion. You still remember the bare, dirty feet and the look of confusion on his face as he tried to hide in a bush far too small to conceal him, the Shaymin perched defencively on his back daring you to come closer...now he bore the regalia of a true Champion, and he had invited you to this new region to lead the very first settlement. 

A content smile meets your lips as you think of the best years of your life, and how you could create even more in the upcoming years.

You are the Mayor: You may reveal yourself at any time to prove you are innocent by showing the Seal of the Officiate (*REVEAL SEAL*), from which point onward your vote will count for two instead of one in lynches. You win with the Champion.

Your Pokemon is Ralts, a Psychic/Faerie type. He knows the move 'Future Sight', only usable during the Night phase. Every two turns, you may pick a target. The next two turns are stored up, and on the second night you may choose which, if any, actions are taken against them. Your Pokemon may EVOLVE. You are immune to Dragon.

----

((Re: Using Future Sight on myself))

You can, but as this will not be seen as a battle, you will gain a low level of experience for doing so. Yes, all effects on a target will be 'absorbed by a mysterious power' before being added to the Future Sight Pool. Then you choose what effects will fire, but I can't let you know *how* that will look until after it's done once. Sorry!

----

((Nights and nights and nights of turtling uselessly))

----

As the glow spreads across your Ralts' body, it begins to shift and change, growing longer and thinning in certain places as he evolves into Kirlia! Future Sight may now be used each turn, though only for one night now, on up to TWO targets. 

----

Tremula July 28
    Your Kirlia spins in one point perfectly, and though it takes some time for you to lock in with his eyes as they spin past, soon visions are dancing in your head. You see Alec standing over your sleeping form, his form melting away to reveal a Zoroark that draws a claw across your throat, killing you instantly. It is the only vision. Is this the future you wish to bring about?

Thul July 28
    ...yeah, I'm just gonna politely decline that future. And see about having that jackass's Pokeball thrown into a volcano or something later.

Meanwhile...

Kirlia, use Future Sight on Thul!

Kirlia, use Future Sight on Portius!

----

Tremula August 1
    As you stare into Kirlia's eyes, you see two visions dance before your eyes. To the left, there is a vision of you and Kirlia sleeping peacefully through the night. To the right, there is a vision of Portius entering Lehki's cabin and bludgeoning his sleeping form before injecting a syringe into his neck.

The choice is yours. 

As you begin deciding, a rap at your door shows a shadowed figure at your door. You glance through the pane of glass near the top and see it is Melali. A second choice is yours.

Thul August 1
    Uh. Did I misinterpret how Future Sight works on others? I thought it'd interfere with people taking actions on him, not with what he does.

Tremula August 1
    Congratulations, you just discovered Kirlia's secret ability.

Thul August 1
    Ahaha, you're so overpowered Kirlia.

Okay, it is night 6.

Enjoy restful night's sleep.
    Allow Portius to super murder Lehki.
    Politely decline Melali's request.

Kirlia, use Future Sight on Kaimanahi!

----

Tremula August 4
    As Kirlia spins and spins, you begin to receive the visions of what could have been, and what can be.

Three visions dance in your head:

You see Ssaliss investigating Kaimanahi. 
    You see Kaimanahi playing with dolls alone in her room.
    You see Melali escorting you to a private car to talk.

You come back to reality and think softly to yourself about what you will or will not choose.

Thul August 5
    Ugh. Okay. So... lessee.

It is Night 7 and I know nothing anymore. Not that I knew anything in the first place.

Allow Ssaliss to investigate Kaimanahi.
    Allow...? Kaimanahi to continue playing with dolls?
     Sure, whatever. ((Hindsight: Oops.))
    Refuse Melali's escort.

Kirlia, use Future Sight on Vivet!

----

Tremula August 10
    As you dry off from the rain and set your medallion aside, Kirlia chirrs excitedly at you and rushes towards you with glowing eyes. You look deeply them and see Cyndarin keeping you company for a short time and scanning Kirlia with her Pokedex before leaving after some more conversation. You wonder if this choice is the one you wish to come to be as...

KIRLIA BEGINS TO GLOW WITH A BRILLIANTLY WHITE LIGHT. HE IS BEGINNING TO EVOLVE! You could stop it, buuuuuuut....

Thul August 10
    Waiting on results from watching Vivet?

Tremula August 10
    There were no visions concerning Vivet. Take that as you will.

Thul August 10

Okay.

Deny Cyndarin.

Kirlia, evolve!

Tremula August 10
    I'll provide a new trainer card either tonight after work or tomorrow.

As the brilliant glow spreads across Kirlia's body, he grows even taller and spreads out slightly, finally evolving into Gardevoir! It knows the move 'Future Sight'. 

Now, your Future Sight may effect Pokemon targetting your targets at night as well as people. Unfortunately, this extended range has reduced his ability to target multiple people. For now you are reduced to one target a night again.

Thul August 10
    Huh. Okay.

*hug Pokemon*

Gardevoir, use Future Sight on Thul!

----

Tremula August 12
    As you settle into your seat, Gardevoir suddenly pulls you to your feet and hugs you close to his chest, looking around apprehensively. You attempt to pull back, assuring him that everything is fine, but he finally stops his frantic lookabout to focus on the floor-length mirror set near the closet. A silver mist has formed on the glass, and writing slowly appears as though an invisible finger were tracing it before you. 

Gardevoir finally lets you step away as you peer into the mirror and read:

Good evening, Mr Mayor!

Congratulations, you've been selected to join the cult of Lunala! How this works is that you are initially given a choice to accept or decline the invitation, but it's really just a formality. You'll be drafted in without an option even if you decline.

Thanks to your lovely role reveal of yesterday, you're now in a very powerful position. The rest of town are confident in you, and feel safe in the assumption that you're on their side. You're incredibly unlikely to come under any real scrutiny before the end of the journey.

What we're offering is a change of pace, fun new night powers, and some good old dirty villainy. If you accept, you save your new teammates from having to waste a power in forcing the conversion. If you decline, you're going to join us anyway, so there's no real point in doing so. Come scheme with us!

Either way, we'll be in touch soon. Good luck!

P.S. Nice abs, bb.

----

((Insert 2 days of not realizing this was an actionable message))

----

Tremula August 14
    If there is no response from player within the next 12 hours, the moderator will be forced to take it as an acceptance of invitation. A response at earliest possible convenience is requested, please!

Thul August 14
    Oh, wait. That wasn't just an idle message?

I decline.

Tremula August 15
    Moments after you shake your head at the mirror, a mental roar of anger fills your mind, emanating from somewhere within the ship. "HOW DARE YOU REFUSE OUR GENEROUS OFFER? YOU WILL SUCCUMB TO OUR WILL."

A reflection of a tall woman steps from the mirror, reaching towards you with an eery grin. "You will serve Us and you will be honoured." Gardevoir steps in to intervene, but the gleaming silver light from the mirror's eyes cause him to crumple to the floor, nearly fainted from fear. You step back, but in unearthly strides the reflection has moved to press its incorporeal palm to your head. The woman suddenly comes into brilliant colour, and you realise that She is your Lady, Lunaala, in a human skin to assure your mind. 

She welcomes you to Her service, and you bend the knee and swear to serve Her well. She instructs you that Her Chosen Queen, and Her human forme, currently resides within the ship, and bades you return to your body. You come to staring at the moon through a porthole, and you realise in your head that there are other, coherent voices whispering.

You have been forcibly recruited into the Chosen Following of Lunaala

----

Tremula August 17
    Gardevoir opens his eyes and reveals to you a twisted timeline where Krackenor sat with you throughout the night, allowing him to see the message in the mirror and your forced conversion. ((Hindsight: Said 'Nope' out loud, confused co-workers.))

Tremula August 18
    As you feel the presence of your Queen against you, a flooding of new power rushes through your body, turning your fingernails silver and filling you with visions of arcane mysteries that you dare not attempt to comprehend. Only one thing you know fully from the experience of Her mind against yours, is that She has granted you a great, new power.

Deception - Have a single person receive a fake message of your choice from the administrator of the game. Only performable once per night, and only on one target (ever). EX: Cannot target Portius, then Portius, would have to target Portius, then Phoebus.

Thul August 18
    Okay. Deny Krackenor's visit.

Gardevoir, use Future Sight on Portius! ((Hindsight: In the wake of Lehki's mass-pull, used this to create the idea of a consistent cult redirect. This was also the turn Othero tried to track me.))

Use Deception on Vivet as follows:

Shadows congeal at the corner of your room, rising up out of the floor and wrapping together into a humanoid figure with a cowled face and a silvery gleam shining through its ribs. "Do not target that one again," the shade hisses. "It was one of ours, and Lehki would have lived but for your mistake. No matter. Portius is taken care of tonight. It would please us if Ileein, Othero or Ssaliss were to die this night." Message delivered, the figure vanishes in an inky cloud, and a moment later, it's as though it had never existed.

((Note: Cult recruited Cyndarin this night, as the sole person who we were reasonably sure wouldn't refuse, due to impossible win condition.))

----

Tremula September 1
    Looking into Gardevoir's eyes, you see...

Portius, killing Cyndarin.

And a rapidly darkening image of...

Haunter placing a plush doll of Portius in Vivet's room.

As Gardevoir steps back and awaits your command, you know that you could not request the second timeline to come into actuality.

Thul September 2
    All right, here goes:

Deny Portius killing Cyndarin and I suppose putting a doll in Vivet's room, because it's somehow even creepier when you're breaking into a dead person's place.

Use Deception on Phoebus as follows:

The room grows darker around you, the shadows starting to writhe and twist towards you as all color leeches from your surroundings. Tenebrous tendrils coil coldly about your legs, cinching about your arms and neck. You find yourself yanked sharply downward onto your knees, forehead pressing into the inky blackness that passes for the floor.

"You've been a very naughty girl," a low voice says, and you become aware of a presence above you, unseen and displeased. "You will make amends."

"Tomorrow, the first thing you shall do is activate your Lunatone. You may continue protecting Othero. That pleases us."

"You will not know us for the time being. In time, you shall be called and welcomed into the Cult properly. But for now..."

What little you can see is washed away in blackness as cold shadows rush into your eyes, your ears, your mouth, your heart. Your sense of self and consciousness fade, swallowed by the darkness.

When you awaken, it is with a newfound devotion to the one Goddess.

<b>You have been recruited into the Cult of Lunala. You win when the Cult has achieved supremacy over the expedition.</b>

((Note: Cult attempted to kill Ileein this night, and set up a free extra night phase. Buuuuut...))

Tremula September 7
    You make your order to Gardevoir, who happily stops from his swaying to look forward with eyes glowing. A moment later he looks up satisfied, and you hear your Queen's Voice in your mind. :Thul. Ileein will be dealt with, or you will assume her place.:

You nod to your Queen's order and exit your cabin, tracking down Ileein's room. You push the door open slowly to see him staring with eyes somewhat glazed over at a larger than average pokegear in his lap. You begin to enter into the room, and nearly cry out in pain. You back out gingerly, closing the door behind you, before collapsing and cursing with silent tears streaming down your face as you see spikes sticking out of the bottom of your feet. 

You quickly return to your room and pull them out, and you know that your Queen will be quite upset with you. You look off into the distance and think of Phoebus, focusing your pent up anger and despair at failing your Queen into deceiving her, feeling the power rush through you before rushing towards her.

----

Thul September 11 ((Hindsight: Had this message pre-prepped for DAYS before, sent as soon as I saw that night phase had started. Note the reference to the "abruptly-called night." Whoops.

We were informed by the mod after I sent the message that if Cen died, the Cult would dissolve. Like, Raiders of the Lost Ark-style dissolve. Whoops. Cult attempted to kill Portius in the vague hope that he would target Cyndarin instead of Cen.))

Deny any action on me.

Use Deception on Othero as follows:

As you prepare for the abruptly-called night, you become aware of a strangeness to the room. Looking about, you try to place the source of the oddity when it occurs to you. What you can see is washed out, grey, as though seen through a silvery filter. And the shadows are too dark, too solid.

As the thought occurs to you, the shadows leap.

Black tendrils spring up from between the floorboards to coil about your legs. Darkness swoops in from all corners of the room to batter you, each impact like a splash of ice water as shadows swarm you like Zubats, piling atop you and driving you to your knees. As the world around you fades away into an endless, inky void, you catch a brief glimpse of a humanoid figure approaching, faceless, with silvery light shining from behind its exposed black ribs. Then a shadow coils about your neck, and yanks you to the floor in a posture of supplication.

"Greetings, child," says a voice ancient and powerful, emanating from the shadows around you, and from within your head as well. "You have served us before unwittingly, but now the time has come to join us in truth."

"In time, we shall call you properly to the side of the Chosen, but for now, we have need of your services in this manner. In service to the Queen, you shall have Zoroark redirect Portius, the murderer, to Ileein. Go, and our victory is assured."

What little you can see is washed away in blackness as cold shadows rush into your eyes, your ears, your mouth, your heart. Your sense of self and consciousness fade, swallowed by the darkness.

When you awaken, it is with a newfound devotion to your Queen.

You have been recruited into the Cult of Lunala as a Traitor. You win when the Cult has achieved supremacy over the expedition.

----

Aaaaand then the cult dissolved. The ending implies I lived and won, but I'm marking that with like a font size 72 asterisk.
  • I felt very underpowered in this game and at times pretty useless but I did have fun. Thanks tremula!

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Thul said:
    Phoebus was not a convert. I sent a Deception message indicating she'd been forcibly converted. It ended with fake broken bold tags around her supposed new status and win condition.

I'm an incredible asshole.
    Using the broke-ass forums as a weapon is so cheap! I was wondering about that but chalked it up to mobile posting. I thought the moonlight thing was incredibly stupid, but I begrudingly went with it assuming there was some sort of plan. Besides yknow, making me die in a game where I was actually going to survive as an outed doctor. You really ruined the end of the game for me! Do I still get to win even though I'm dead?
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Were you town (y/n)?

Town won.
    And I was right, you did choose to allow the cult to convert you!
  • Dylara said:
    I felt very underpowered in this game and at times pretty useless but I did have fun. Thanks tremula!
    Seems like it was planned that you'd use your power more often and get your new cool talking to the dead power. Tremula had told me she couldn't answer a few of my questions after I died in case of "shenanigans". I guess there would be some power to talk to the dead in the game.

@Tremula could we get a full list of pokemon powers that were in the game? And what other cult powers Cen could have given out?
  • So... if this game taught me anything, it's that when I tell myself that I'm a fundamentally decent person at heart, I'm lying like a mofo.

@Krackenor, I was out of line there, and I apologize for putting you on the spot for no good reason. If you were guilty of doing anything, it was using logic I didn't agree with and still coming to like 90% of the correct conclusions.

@Ssaliss, sorry for freaking out on you over a forums representation of a video game fairy.

@Phoebus, I literally don't think there was anything meaner I could've done to anyone in the game. I'm sorry that you bore the brunt of that gambit, and I hope it doesn't turn you off of future games of mafia.

And everyone, and @Tremula in particular, I'd like to apologize for any damage I did to the tone of the game. I know there were a couple of places where posting and enthusiasm kinda died down, and... I'm pretty sure that was me.

Things were chaotic and imbalanced in places, I was stressed out from pretty much the moment I was drafted onto Team Lunala, and I still don't understand a good portion of what happened, but all in all, I had a really good time, and I hope everyone else enjoyed themselves too.
    You managed to completely fool me, I didn't even think for a second that the broken tag was deliberate. I do think it's kinda unfair to allow something that meta, especially since I tend to assume people aren't supposed to fake mod messages, but since it was allowed, I gotta give you props for it. It was a good play. Sure, I was burned by it, but I don't have any hard feelings towards you, and I'd already resolved to take a break before playing mafia again weeks ago, so please don't feel like it's your fault. One has to go into these games expecting to be deceived, after all. It's not a game of playing nice and being trustworthy.

By the way, Lucario was an investigator. If town had picked him up sooner, things sure would have gone differently.