the Expedition - a Pokémon Mafia game. (GAME OVER. SYLANDRA WINS. TOWN WINS.)

Comments

• UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Well this is already probably the most complex mafia game setup I've played.

That reads to me like whoever night-actioned @Kilee forced the Pokemon reveal?
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Wagh, that other action happened while I was posting before and I almost missed it. I wonder if the scent was targeted, or if it was random whose Pokemon would be revealed by it?

Ssaliss said:
    Phoebus said:
    So the quake is probably the day action blocker, and not the Pumpkaboo, then. Hmm. I suppose it's obvious from my assumptions and speculation at this point that I was unharmed by the quake last night; I had no idea there had been one until reports came in today. So some of us got hurt, and some of us came out of it unscathed/completely unaware, and it may or may not have contributed to no one being eliminated last night? This gets more complicated the more I try to work out exactly what happened.  :-? I should probably take a break from it and let other people report in before I hurt myself by over-speculating.
    Except I was night-blocked, and the only thing that blocked me was the quake.
    Alright, that answers the question of if it was responsible for multiple types of blocking. What chaos! 
  • Othero's and Kilee's actions are separate, right?

@Othero wakes up and breaks the train? Please let us know what happened, Sleep McSleeperson.

OH cruel Fate, when wilt thou weary be?
    When satisfied with tormenting me?
    What have I e'er designed, but thou hast crost?
    All that I wished to gain by thee, I've lost:
    From my first infancy, thy spite thou'st shown
    and from my cradle, I've thy malice known...
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Man, when people post while I'm posting it makes me confused. I have to remember I can't always trust the reported read or unread status of the thread from now on, haha.
  • Dear god I hope it's a one-use action...my head already hurts (and I only sprained my ankle! Ba-da-tsssss...)
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Synkarin said:
    Does everyone also have their day action blocked? Did anyone else see a Pumpkaboo? 

I had a visit from a Pumpkaboo and was informed I can't perform any day actions today.

This same thing happened to me too with a Purrloin who used Fake Out on me. Can't use day powers today.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • First off, let me say that trusting the Bulbapedia page on which Pokemon did the Quake may not be the most prudent decision. For three reasons: there are a lot of Pokemon on that list, a Pokemon's ability in this game may not actually be a move it can learn (mine isn't), and it wouldn't tell us anything. Whoever it is can obviously use their ability while keeping their Pokemon secret, so knowing what someone's Pokemon most likely won't ever connect them with certainty to the Earthquake. Other than catching that person in the act, someone having a power to figure out a Pokemon's power, process of elimination, or them outright telling us, we will likely never know who has Earthquake. Which is a good thing, since it seems to prevent all scum kills, at the very least. 

Now, I actually think that using this ability on the first night was not the best choice of whoever did this. While it did stop kills, it also didn't disrupt the Mafia's plans, it gave the scum more information to work with, and perhaps prevented the gathering of information by the Town. Essentially, it made lynching on Day 2 only slightly less random than on Day 1, whereas, normally, we could have a kill to analyze, perhaps some information. Additionally, now the scum can prepare to have an Earthquake happen. Perhaps they'll use their Flying Pokemon to kill, or use lots of Roleblocking abilities, or simply make plans that can stand one night of delay. Unless it was absolutely necessary to use this ability on the first day, which I can't discard but see as highly unlikely, this is not a good use of this power. 

As such, I can think a few theories as to why this person used their power now.
    a) Their Pokemon can evolve and this power has a really long cooldown, like 4 turns. Thus, they want to use it every chance they get, to gain experience as quickly as possible.
    b) They suspected that they would be killed this night, so they wanted to preserve their life.
    c) They have a Day power or a circumstantial Night power that they want to use, so they used it to preserve their life until they could use their other power.

Also, it does not appear to affect everyone, so it may be somewhat random in its targeting. From Tremula's post about it, I assume that there's a random chance of people dying from the quake itself. In other words, we were lucky.

• Well I was attacked twice and somehow survived. 

Someone tried to stab me with a sharpened toothbrush and my day actions were also blocked. I saw a Darkrai symbol laying on the floor. I think we were all mass blocked somehow rather than like...3 people having identical blocking abilities with different pokemon.
    Well that's interesting. Someone targeted me last night for a kill, too, but I escaped when the earthquake struck. Didn't get as involved flavor text as Cyndarin though--generic running for my life.

So two killers at least, yeah?
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Someone has a Darkrai?

Lynch before they can use Dark Void!! That wouldn't be fun at all (try battling one in a multiplayer doubles match...it's tableflip-worthy).

Also, Earthquake undoubtedly mass blocked us all. No one will confirm that they can use a Day power, so I think we can assume Earthquake did that too.
  • @Melali, are you saying the Earthquake didn't affect you?
    You sure? Seems like some powers went through last night after all. Example: @Othero.
    Daraius said:
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Who do we need to hear from still? @Othero, @Salome, anyone else?

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • It looks like Othero just slept in. That's a super boring power.
  • Its kinda werid that someone would use somethign so powerful on the first night.
  • Portius, Luce, Alaray and a couple of other people I believe.
  • Alary
  • At the same time, I don't find it too weird because a lot of nightkills go through on the first night from first the Mafia and if there are any inexperienced/trigger happy Vig/SK.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• I think the vig tried to get me. Sharpened toothbrush rather than evil pokemon attack. Just a hunch though.
  • Well...are you mafia then? Whisper your answer and I won't tell anyone.
  • I think the vig tried to get me. Sharpened toothbrush rather than evil pokemon attack. Just a hunch though.
    There are no evil pokemon! Just evil trainers.
  • @Lehki

Spoken like a true Pokemon T...ERRORIST! Team Plasma!

;)
  • I was holding onto that post since last night, and just posted it now.

As for this new development, I want to assume  that @Othero was the one who activated the power that forced Kilee's Pokemon to reveal itself, whether it was targeted or random. If it is indeed his power, and he wishes to confirm this, I would have him answer whether or not the power is targetable. Other than that, there doesn't seem to be anything we need to know about his Pokemon's power to figure into our plans.

As for this blocking, let me list everyone who claims they were blocked, by what, and for what, in order of declaration:
    Lehki - Earthquake - N1
    Synkarin - Pumpkaboo (Astonish?) - D2
    Iosion - Earthquake - D2
    Ssaliss - Earthquake - N1, D2 (fixed by Champion, random event/imposter/misinterpreted system message?)
    Dylara - Earthquake - N1, D2
    Sylandra - Purrloin (Fake Out) - D2
    Cyndarin - Darkrai? - D2

As for those who weren't blocked, those who claimed to use a power are: Vivet, Ushaara, Ssaliss.
    Those who seemed to display confusion/weren't affected by the Earthquake: Rolsand, Vivet, Ushaara, Melali
    I don't know if it's possible to get an accurate picture of who was/was not affected by the Earthquake, since obviously people affected by it are under more suspicion than those not since the Mafia were stopped from their killing. 

@Ioson, yes, I received no message about an Earthquake and confirmed with Tremula that that means that I was unaffected by it.

• Aye I wasn't affected by the earthquake.
  • Were you doing any in particular? I'd like to skip the next Earthquake too, please!
  • anything*

You'd never believe I was an English major.
  • I assume the quake only worked on people that were using their ability or was about to be hit with an ability.
  • Tbh I thought that someone die on the first night and then we would move on but it seems like more than one person attempted to attack someone.
  • someone would die