Overdone

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    What happens if you RP a person with only one arm, and I stab the missing arm with a weapon?
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I meant in a mechanical sense, of course. If I wanted to RP someone with only one arm, there's literally no way to keep me from having two arms.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I mean, no amount of RP is going to override a mechanic that exists, it's silly to think it will. But bringing up mechanics kind of just ruins RP as well. If someone wants to play something with natural body damage, just let 'em.
    Xenthos said:
    What happens if you RP a person with only one arm, and I stab the missing arm with a weapon?
    Right, exactly. You can RP being one armed all you want, but Xenthos is still going to stab you in that missing arm, and I can still blind you with niricol, just like a Crow user can still peck your eyes out even if you claim you don't have any.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited September 2016
    Tamashi said:
    I mean, no amount of RP is going to override a mechanic that exists, it's silly to think it will. But bringing up mechanics kind of just ruins RP as well. If someone wants to play something with natural body damage, just let 'em.
    Just repeating it. RP is there for story, not mechanics. (Most of the time)
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Part of playing a structured game involves conforming to that structure. 
  • Well yes, I do agree that you should be aware of the mechanics, and I haven't seen anybody actually RP a missing limb, other than actually being afflicted at that time. This was brought up as a hypothetical thing and it could technically be done, just doesn't conform to mechanics.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I guess point being: Someone could certainly do that RP, and would probably be met by everyone else RPing that they're totally crazy because they clearly have both arms, and their description is clearly some kind of illusion because their other arm is right here *stab*. Like the Hallifaxian who insisted they were from the future, to the amusement of all - including the ranking time science NPC during an event, who said that they should seek help. 
  • Enyalida said:
    I guess point being: Someone could certainly do that RP, and would probably be met by everyone else RPing that they're totally crazy because they clearly have both arms, and their description is clearly some kind of illusion because their other arm is right here *stab*. Like the Hallifaxian who insisted they were from the future, to the amusement of all - including the ranking time science NPC during an event, who said that they should seek help. 
    I really enjoyed that character and was sad to see it get shot down. He played it pretty well and it was very fun and memorable.
    I'm about to join your guild. My ancestor was once guildmaster, and now I'll be guildmaster. I expect you to conform to this, and favor me to Gr3, then vote for me. Because that's my RP, and you need to conform to it.

What? That's absurd? People shouldn't be forced to conform to other's RP?
  • RP's like that just make me think of that guy who tried to RP an atheist. And promptly got killed by the gods. Sure you /can/ RP it, but that doesn't mean it makes any damned sense.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    There are things one can stretch, and things one can't. Finding that line is the goal of every original and unique RP angle.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
    edited September 2016
    Everiine said:
    There are things one can stretch, and things one can't. Finding that line is the goal of every original and unique RP angle.
    I do still RP the "there is no Taint" thing; it's something from way back when that I have remained fond of.  I also think it fits in pretty well with Xenthos being pretty devoted to Crow's teachings.  It's kind of interesting to me to have an RP thing that differs from reality somewhat, but in a way that is more of a quirk than something that can easily be refuted by using game mechanics (while OOCly text messages may say taint, ICly your characters are not seeing everything with an OOC this-is-the-way-it-is text label plastered all over them-- that was the entire premise of the original Glomdoring mindset, pre-Wyrd, after all).

I also don't rub everyone's face in it unless they are actually asking me about the subject, as well.
  • Much like previous subjects regarding damage: scars.  There are an unusually large number of unhealable scars in the Basin.  It got old after the second or third year, in my opinion.

• "RP cops seem to be pretty abundant in Lusty."

I saved that as a draft about 6-7 hours ago and yes it was just one sentence, but now after reading all those recent posts... Well, here goes. 

I believe if you do not approve or like someone's roleplay, you're perfectly able to stay away from that person and his/her roleplay. You are not "obliged" to reprimand people on how to have fun in a game they're playing, despite how entitled you feel.

I'm coming from a MUD, where we had a player acting like a Pokemon (Really.) in a typical fantasy world with elves and dwarves... Surely that RP met with "tons" of IC problems (Including being enemied to a couple of cities, because of insanity and loss of credibility) for that individual, but we never took it to an OOC level and we did not force that individual out of the game or away from his/her RP. In the end whoever that was, sticked around in the world supported the game with tons of money, and shaped his/her RP in a form that is more fitting for the rest of the world and played where her/his character was welcomed at. Because you know, if no one wants to play with you, there's no reason for you to stay.

Surely, you don't want a Pokemon here, I don't either. But if one comes over gaily skipping, I'll just turn a blind eye and a deaf ear first, but if it becomes truly a nuisance, then IC measures will follow.

If I've given an impression of a very open minded person, I am honestly not. There are other "less extreme" forms of RP that does not appeal to me, such as mental RP, but I just avoid them as mentioned before. And those less radical RPs are probably never going to induce any IC precaution from me, because there's generally a sense in them. Or a link to one's story, all imperfections/scars/the permanent ailments are fairly reasonable to me. @Tamashi hit the nail on the head with the stupidity example, I'll give recklessness on top of it. You can not cure the recklessness in a player by applying some salve to it. Healing a mechanical illusion and as given in the example above, stabbing a mechanical illusion. They're not really different than one another, at least for me.

I've to repeat this for one's unflinching frustrations, there are -always- In Character resolutions. A very common example: Mudsexing in public locations (Which is also a Roleplay, and despite that's very disturbing for most players... The outcomes can be hilarious) is generally inhibited by city/commune/guild laws. Perhaps not in Lusternia? I admittedly do not know the entire structure of this game well enough. But that example is pretty common in other MUDs, and I'm sure It works fine enough as a solution.

"Oh the year was 453CE, how I wish I was in Serenwilde now... aletter of marque come from the regent to the scummiest aethership I ever seen, gods damn them all...I was told we'd cruise the void for auronidion and dust, we'd fire no turrets, shed no tears.. now I'm a broken man on a Hallifax tier, the last of Saz's privateers."

-Kilian
    Saz said:
    You can not cure the recklessness in a player by applying some salve to it.
    Well duh, recklessness is cured by lucidity slush potion.
    Shaddus said:
    Saz said:
    You can not cure the recklessness in a player by applying some salve to it.
    Well duh, recklessness is cured by lucidity slush potion.
    Sidd has quaffed so much lucidity slush, but it doesn't seem to have addressed his recklessness at all.
  • That does not contradict with my statement!

(But thanks for the info, to learn the whole curinglist will surely take some more time)
     "Oh the year was 453CE, how I wish I was in Serenwilde now... aletter of marque come from the regent to the scummiest aethership I ever seen, gods damn them all...I was told we'd cruise the void for auronidion and dust, we'd fire no turrets, shed no tears.. now I'm a broken man on a Hallifax tier, the last of Saz's privateers."

-Kilian
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Some of the custom beasts actually come alarmingly close to Pokémon. >.>

I think you might be getting the wrong impression though. Most people here aren't naming names, calling people out, or giving specific examples. We aren't trying to run anyone off, but rather we're saying "I know you think you're clever, but we've seen this before. It isn't helping you stand out and you can do better. You will get more positive responses with a different tack." 
  • Shedrin said:
    The real answer is that gimmicks are fine, but have a real character with a real personality as well. Don't become only the gimmick.
    This.

Most people will ignore one thing that is annoying if there is more than just that thing. If it's the only thing that comes across while playing with others it can get old real fast. That said, party on since no one can really stop you from rping something other than give negative reaction butyou have to be prepared to deal with those negative reactions. Just speaking from personal experience.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• @Luce And I certainly have no problem with that, nor with the discussions regarding what are the better/worse form of RPs in this thread. Though those discussions did push me to type extensively on my opinions to contribute. 

The actual reason behind why I posted the "abundancy of RP cops" bit is this: I've seen the aforementioned abundancy In-Game, not here. With name shaming and all and I've no ill will for who did those, but I tried to offer a different perspective with that post and that's all. It probably wasn't worth the effort, but hey, isn't that what the forums are all about?

-Kilian
    Shedrin said:
    The real answer is that gimmicks are fine, but have a real character with a real personality as well. Don't become only the gimmick.
    Precisely. For instance, Lillie is a stutterer. She also rp's beyond that, and has done some stuff with her character.
  • I'm not suggesting there's no reason or justification to the scars.  But the topic of the thread is 'Overdone'.  I'm just pointing out something that feels overdone, in my opinion.  I couldn't list them all, but I'm sure I've run across a dozen characters with visible facial scars.

Something else that feels overdone: invented languages.  These even work against the mechanics of the game.  And it's not just the invented commune languages.  I cringe every time I read a conversation about kepheran words.

Crowtongue actually is embedded into the mechanics of the game now, because it was one of the first invented.  That's pretty cool, actually.

I far prefer speaking in Crowtongue mechanically than trying to figure out what the language itself means, though. <_<
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    I'm not sure I understand. It's overdone because it's notable but not unique? I don't know if anyone is trying to be "unique" with it in the first place, rather than it just being another identifying feature of a character, like freckles or a crooked nose (incidentally, also something one could argue might be fixed by a bit of curative.) I don't think it's something that needs to be looked down upon instantly, is all I'm saying.

The language thing, yes, I agree. No, this race's language is not <insert real language here> because you decided it was. Please, stop. We have a lot of freedom to add to Lusternia's accepted canon, but don't go mad with power!
  • I think a lot of the stigma with these things is that more often than not it is done very poorly and the player behind them try a bit too hard to draw attention to the fact that they have certain character traits that would be considered "unique". This leads to people thinking that all of these characters are just trying to demand attention so the initial reaction is to groan and try to not have any interactions with them at all.