Ascension Rules

Comments

• TAs can't be in a challenge, no (after all, they can't become TA again, so if they won a seal they'd limit the playing field for the staff pretty considerably). Never heard of a limit of seals though... Any such limit would be pretty silly anyway, since only one out of nine winners will get TA per year.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    You can only win one seal per year. Last year there was some player-driven angst about the possibility of me winning Life yet again, but such turned out to be a wee bit premature. There is no limit on times you can win a seal again as long as you do not win TA.
  • I disagree with the complicatedness Iytha suggests for War. Indeed, I believe how we handle War is probably as smooth as it can get - four Wargames are held, and the winners of the Wargames all qualify for the last round. The four pair off and the winners easily decide first and second. Third and fourth are determined by the victors of the losers' bout.

As for Justice, I really don't know what to suggest. Single elimination is harsh and people complain when they get left out/other people get byes to the next round. With contenders ranging anywhere from 30 to 40 people at once, anything more complicated unduly confuses the administration.
  • Remove a 'fifth' place for Justice? Why does it need to be five, if it's easier to place four (or another number)? If we know upfront that there'll be a set number of winners, there isn't going to be an issue.

You could begin the tournaments with 'free for all' or 'round robin' styles, and when you finish a round with enough for a standard 'knock-out' tournament (4, 8, 16, 32), switch to that.

I don't remember how many people contend for Justice... but if we're short three people for a knock-out tournament, surely we could get three non-debaters to just put their names in a hat and try. It's cleaner than giving people free passes.
  • Could just do single elimination until you have 5 people remaining, then go double elimination with the 5 to determine placing 
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Iytha said:
    For War, we want to do something like Teams Battlerun:
    Each player starts with 3 player points and each team with 0 team points. Wargames with three 3 man teams will be played round robin style (ie. for 7 teams, first wargame is 1v2v3, second is 4v5v6, third is 7v1v2) until a winner is determined. Every time you kill a player on an enemy team, that player (but not their team) loses a point and your team (but not you personally) gains one point. Players with 0 points are removed from their team and teams with no players remaining are removed from the tournament. Once there is a single team remaining, rank the top 5 teams by their team points to determine prizes (and ownership of the War Seal for 1st place) with ties being settled by a team vs. team wargame.

Why...are you complicating things so much. Player and team points? Good grief, that's convoluted, and would just mean the people who farmed the crappier teams won. Noooope.
  • I have a question about the Beauty event: If I have three cartels, does that mean I can submit a design for each?

• Yes.  1 design can be submitted per cartel, one person can submit multiple entries if they really want to and have the time as long as they each come from a different cartel.
  • yay, I may actually submit something this year then

• I'm not surprised about all the rules for Chaos, considering all the fun experiences had with them in the past. : >
  • Celina said:
    Iytha said:
    For War, we want to do something like Teams Battlerun:
    Each player starts with 3 player points and each team with 0 team points. Wargames with three 3 man teams will be played round robin style (ie. for 7 teams, first wargame is 1v2v3, second is 4v5v6, third is 7v1v2) until a winner is determined. Every time you kill a player on an enemy team, that player (but not their team) loses a point and your team (but not you personally) gains one point. Players with 0 points are removed from their team and teams with no players remaining are removed from the tournament. Once there is a single team remaining, rank the top 5 teams by their team points to determine prizes (and ownership of the War Seal for 1st place) with ties being settled by a team vs. team wargame.

Why...are you complicating things so much. Player and team points? Good grief, that's convoluted, and would just mean the people who farmed the crappier teams won. Noooope.
    It's designed with the idea of countering the complaints against the tournament system in mind. It is definitely complicated, but nobody randomly gets an advantage over anyone else, nobody gets kicked out for a single bad luck match, everyone plays the same number of matches, nobody gets a bye to the next round and, contrary to your claim above, gaming the system by playing weak teams doesn't work since you don't pick who you fight and even if you did, it wouldn't help any in the long run since you'll still eventually end up facing the strong teams anyways.

That said, I have no expectation of the admin actually using that proposal. The single elimination system works well enough that it isn't actually going to be replaced based off a forum post.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    For Death, is there any way it can be moderated so that you have to fight (or at least do the majority of damage) to a mob for credit, rather than just run around taking killing blows while everyone else bashes them on your behalf?

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• +1 to no godrealms/prime only.

Eventru's realm still needs merian scattered more, when merian solo a group of 6 people theres a problem. <.< Freakin room of 12 :(
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Hah, there was a time when I saw a room with 25 priestesses in it.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Malarious said:
    +1 to no godrealms/prime only.

Eventru's realm still needs merian scattered more, when merian solo a group of 6 people theres a problem. <.< Freakin room of 12 :(
    They weren't even grouped up fully when they all died. They were split up and quite a few more followed Silvanus back to the group. Also, at least 3 of them were super squishy.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Malarious said:

My mobs scatter as much as anyone else's. They all utilize the same random code.

They don't like being lonely though, so they do tend to clump. Ghost in the code!
    Eventru said:
    Malarious said:

My mobs scatter as much as anyone else's. They all utilize the same random code.

They don't like being lonely though, so they do tend to clump. Ghost in the code!
    The "random code" is biased.  If you look in any area where there are a lot of mobs that are completely "random", they tend to go to the northeast corner.

Magnagora's harbor, for instance, is a magnet for seawolves (it makes it very easy to find and harvest them).
    I will also note that the entrance to the Merian Priestess land is, surprisingly, on the northeast end of the Realm...
  • Xenthos said:
    I will also note that the entrance to the Merian Priestess land is, surprisingly, on the northeast end of the Realm...
    Actually, it's on the north end. The northeast end is a bit parted (they clump elsewhere). I never knew the extent of the wandering flaw, but I'm certainly not going to redesign my entire realm to avoid it, heh. Sorry.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, I noticed that NE thing too. Dolphins in the Inner Sea. Seawolves in SoD. Stuff in Balach. Mantas in the Cloud Maelstrom. Even pixies and animals in Seren do it.

Some questions for admin:

Are harmony mantras disabled?

Is bardic presence allowed? I ask because if Night users lose their +charisma, so should everyone out of fairness.

Thanks.
  • edited February 2013
    Celina said:

Is bardic presence allowed? I ask because if Night users lose their +charisma, so should everyone out of fairness.

Thanks.
    I think (think!) the argument against Penumbra was not its charisma, but it's ego regeneration.

I think.

(Note: I don't make the rules for that event. Didn't then don't now. Otherwise it'd be a big "Good luck!" Sign in a 6x6 area with aggro mobs and every room description would be me twirling my mustache.)
    edited February 2013
    Eventru said:

Thanks.
    I think (think!) the argument against Penumbra was not its charisma, but it's ego regeneration. I think. (Note: I don't make the rules for that event. Didn't then don't now. Otherwise it'd be a big "Good luck!" Sign in a 6x6 area with aggro mobs and every room description would be me twirling my mustache.)
    Yes, that was the argument.

Harmony mantras do ego regeneration, hence the question!

Way more regeneration than Penumbra, at that.
    Well I get the regen part (even if it's minor) but it also provides other buffs that Night users would need to compete on the same level as a bard that can use all their skills. Which is why I think it needs to be all or nothing, not selective removal of skills that affect one guild more than another.
  • Regarding mantras: it's a whitelist so anything that gives ego regen outside Dramatics/Influence is not allowed, so Harmony won't be.
  • NochtNocht Glomdoring
    Seal of War

So let's preface this by saying: Don't panic! This is just a tentative layout for War this year. We won't lie, War is usually the most dreaded of events from our standpoint, and so we're hoping to head some of that off by getting your input on the setup and eliminating any surprises as to how it'll be managed. So let's jump right into our ideas:

1. Double elimination format - This means if your team loses two matches, you're out. Losing once will put you in a "loser's" bracket where you can still fight to stay in it.
    2. Making use of all arenas - This will require some help from the communes and cities, but we've done it before without too much trouble. To save time we would have matches running in as many arenas as possible which would of course require some temporary enemy changes depending on the teams and where they fight.
    3. Time limits - War matches can easily turn into two teams staring each other down for long periods of time. To try and curb this we're thinking of having a time limit (30 minutes?) until we start dropping in a nasty mob to get the teams moving. We would probably create one to be as unbiased with regards to class as possible.
    4. Team Registration - Letting us know your teams ahead of time would certainly lighten the load on our end as we could plan ahead for how many teams we'll be dealing with. You could even give your team a name if you want!
    5. Team matching - teams would face off 1 on 1 after being randomly picked.
    Let us know what you think! Any complaints/concerns/rants about this layout? Any questions about something I may not have even covered? We're definitely open to doing things a little differently this year.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    edited February 2013
    Yeah that sounds fine, but I figured War would be smoother since historically, we only had 4 wargames, then 1 final where teams squared off against each other in a pre-arranged format.

The Team matching option will make it drag on, but depending on the number of arenas and teams that we get, it would probably be the most fair IMO.

Also dibs on "Majestic Alpha Chesthair Omega Squadron"

Edit: If you go with the team matching option, the losers of the semi finals should fight to determine 3rd and 4th place, btw.

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    edited February 2013
    I'd think something like this should be easy to run. 

1. Require that teams register a week/day/hour in advance (allow two alternates per team)
    2. Run as standard elimination tourney
    3. Randomly assign teams to tourney (http://challonge.com/tournament/bracket_generator will do that). You can stream your screen for this to avoid claims of favorites. 

I could be missing something, but this seems the simplest/least complicated format to me
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    February Madness!

Accepting filled out brackets!
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.