To those from Midkemia

Hello, on Sept 9th 2016, Midkemiaonline will be closing its doors. What this means is several iron realm games may find several new faces trickling slowly as things begin to wind down. Several players have stated their interest in coming to Lusternia because they are interested in the immersive roleplay, the combat, meeting new people and essentially a new start. It can be very difficult being the new guy, especially if you have been so used to things for years. Some of us are going to be intimidated approaching the established players here while others will be jumping right into the fray. If anyone from Midkemia happens to read this, I wanted to let you know that I will be hopping between here and the other major games, (Achaea, Aetolia, and Imperian) as Jarnul(or variations) to try and make contact to see how you all are doing. I know a few of you have already started your journey ahead of us and I guess I just wanted to keep in touch. While this is still going on, I will still be in MKO for the time being working to save a few things for nostalgia purposes. Goodbye my fam.

Until we meet again,
Jarrul of Sar-Sargoth

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited August 2016
    As a note: As I stated during my conversation with you, we in the Glomdoring don't particularly care about the illithoid so much-- we support them pretty much entirely because they are anti-kepheran. There was some additional in-game reason beyond that (specifically, enemied to the Glomdoring by Crek, the enemy reason was for stealing Crow-skills, and I saw you die there and went to take your corpses for those reasons-- it was only when you came back that I decided to follow up further). That's not really conducive to an in-character conversation, though. :P

If anyone attacks / kills a newbie for little / no reason at all, tell people. We don't particularly like when people go around harassing newfolk. A death as a consequence for actions taken? Sure. But not for "just because".
  • Thank you for the responses so far, they are really encouraging. It is going to be a huge change for us but no doubt a lot of us are happy to take the challenge head on.
  • Welcome to Lusternia. The best tip I can give you is to join Magnagora.
  • TOO LATE!
  • I joined a few months back but jumped back to MKO as a comfort zone. I shall be stumbling my way through things again to figure it all out.

Serenwilde here ;)

xoxo Talia/Mairin
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Rolsand said:

Welcome to Lusternia. The best tip I can give you is to join Magnagora.

:-@ ( O:-) )
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Rolsand said:

Welcome to Lusternia. The best tip I can give you is to join Magnagora.

You misspelled Serenwilde!
  • why is MKO closing?
  • Arix said:

why is MKO closing?

They pay a licensing fee every year to Feist and don't make enough money to cover that fee.

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    On the theme of asking questions:

There is a LOT to do, and most of the time there's someone who's willing to show you the thing if you ask. Some good ones to look into are: influencing/debating; ikons; aetherhunting; Orders; families; designing; stagework; trades (even without designing things yourself); curios; wonder items; TONS of quests; guild-, org-, and international-level politics; tea;

Don't commit to an order or a family without asking a LOT of questions and spending a lot of time around the members of that order or family. Orders can give a very decent idea to other players as to what your character values, and while that can change over time, it's still a big step. Likewise, family, though your birth family can't be changed after you accept it without rolling a new alt or marrying out.

Newbies are encouraged to ask questions about their guild, their class, their archetype, their org, or anything else they can think of, even if they're asking things that have been answered 7,000,000 times in the last hour. Most places also don't punish you if you leave the guild or org before fully establishing yourself. This even bears out in the mechanics, since until you graduate from novicehood in a guild, all lessons placed in guild skills are refunded 100% instead of the usual 80% when you forget them.

As Demartel demonstrated, most artisans are willing to outright give newbies the basic gear they need to get their feet under them.

No matter what guild you choose to settle in, there are skills that are more or less required and skills that are so useful that it's hard not to justify the expenditure. Of note are the rift and liquidrift in planar, and the curing abilities early in discipline and discernment. Some of these refund the lessons invested, thanks to the ACHIEVEMENTS system.

If it's not a newbie channel, it's an IC medium by default. Not sure/can't remember how forgiving MKO was with this, but you can and will get weird looks or comments if you're too blatantly OOC.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    There's an MKO clan if you want to join it. Send a message to Bau, Morrighan, or most of the people listed in CLANHELP MKO. It's an OOC clan with some longtime Lusternia players who are always willing to chat and answer questions as well.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Lusternia is pretty complicated if you're new, and the Planes are especially complicated until you get a mental image of how they're laid out.

A few files you should read ingame that distinguish Lusternia are things like HELP AVENGER (PK rules, sort of), HELP POWER (a sort of resource you'll need to use for some of your skills, that is gained from your Nexus), HELP DIVINEORDER (slightly different from MKO, gods are heavily tied to their org).
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I will respectfully offer Serenwilde as a RP alternative. I've encountered lots of it, and you can browse the RP section of forums to see amazing logs from people like @Everiine as examples of the type of RP guilds in our commune do :)
  • If you're a fighter that lives in an off-peak timezone, don't join Hallifax! We never have anyone to fight :(

That being said, if you're awesome and sweet, Hallifax' community is thriving, and we have a lot of fun. We have the best people, let me tell ya. A lot of people, the smartest people, are saying that Hallifax is the place to be.

Enjoy your nascent Lusternia addiction problem!
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Another fantastic way to get RP is to talk to NPCs/denizens using SAY TO . You never know when they might respond back! Some of my all time favorite RP has happened this way, and the denizens will "remember" things you talked about -years- down the road.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Maybe a little bit of a heads up. We're in the midst of the "Guild Reformation" at the end of which Guilds are going to be replaced by factions.

There's info in the relevant sub-forums for each org to give you an idea of whats ahead, but it's something pretty exciting to look forward to and might offer themes that you'll be interested in that might not be explored as much just yet. (Serenwilde's factions are obviously the best of course #nobias)
  • Some of the greatest fighters came straight out of Magnagora.
  • Just saying.
  • Yeah, look at me and Shedrin.
  • edited August 2016
    Demartel said:

Yeah, look at me and Shedrin.

Yeah, Shedrin is pretty great.

(jk <3 ilu)
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Rolsand said:

Some of the greatest fighters came straight out of Magnagora.

And some did not. I don't think Sidd ever set foot in Mag except to tick someone off, and some of the old fighters who were in Mag got gud before they went there.

For a while there was a fighter glut in Mag because Mag had the more exclusive and comprehensive system for free, so it was easier to learn how to fight there than elsewhere. They had access to both Crown and Treant, whereas the other three only really had Treant and a couple smaller systems, or the paid version of a couple other curing systems. (which Mag fighters still had access to, and could thus use to improve Crown or Crown-based systems.)
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    For the record, I'm not saying 'don't go to Mag', just that 'come to Mag, we gots da fite. Forget those other guys.' is...not exactly a fair assessment, nor the sort of first impression we want to give.