Raiding & Numbers

This discussion was created from comments split from: Lack of Raves VI: Rave Today, Tweet Tomorrow.

Comments

• Fun crazy PK going against numbers under shrines and discretionaries.

Many bugs have been fixed. No more tumbling into the nexus. Hahaha.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited August 2016
    That... certainly wasn't against numbers, unless you're counting people AFK at the nexus (which I have already grumped at them about). Stupid afk. And even then, when you came back in the final time, came in with enough to beat out even the people who weren't bothering to do anything.

Final scent:
    You make out the scent of Athree coming from the resonating centre of Glomdoring's black heart. -- AFK
    You make out the scent of Veyils coming from a rain of leaves.
    You make out the scent of Anelissa coming from among plants fighting for life amongst decay.
    You make out the scent of Versalean coming from the resonating centre of Glomdoring's black heart.
    You make out the scent of Romaan coming from among plants fighting for life amongst decay.
    You make out the scent of Auriella coming from among plants fighting for life amongst decay.

You make out the scent of Ciaran coming from among plants fighting for life amongst decay.
    You make out the scent of Yarith coming from among plants fighting for life amongst decay.
    You make out the scent of Demartel coming from among plants fighting for life amongst decay.
    You make out the scent of Avurekhos coming from among plants fighting for life amongst decay.

You make out the scent of Marcael coming from the resonating centre of Glomdoring's black heart.
    You make out the scent of Siam coming from the resonating centre of Glomdoring's black heart. -- AFK.
    You make out the scent of Salome coming from the resonating centre of Glomdoring's black heart.

Last actual fight was this:
    Demartel, Auriella, Anelissa, Avurekhos, Yarith, Ciaran, Romaan
    vs.
    Veyils, Versalean, Salome, me.
    I don't know under what world that is "against numbers," but it sure seems to be a bit of puffery to me. You are welcome to rave about it if you want, but don't lie when doing so!

PS: Constructive criticism, it also went on way too long.
  • You guys raided erlier what was even left? :s

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• There's also the fight where it was :
    Avurekhos, Yarith, Demartel
    v
    Veyils, Stratas, Versalean, Kkrelk, Salome, Xenthos, Athree + Liveforest/Distort
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
    I think that's part of the constructive criticism for "it went on way too long". You're right that it did fluctuate from fight to fight, but it definitely wasn't against numbers the entire time-- nor even the majority, from the part that I saw. And I was only there for the last hour of constant raid, they told me it had been going on for a while even before that.
  • Uh, I started today by raiding 1v4. Later today I raided with @Twytch and @Avurekhos showed up (as he always does :D). Then Twytch and I both left because a bunch of northerners came up (to keep fair numbers, IE:~4v6). I waited until you guys wiped us and actually ran in at the end, dying myself as well.

Later just 3 of us came in. Myself @Romaan, and Avurekhos. You guys huddled at the nexus.

That scent was from the end when a bunch more people showed up and you guys stopped fighting us because you didn't have a 2:1 advantage.

I am not trying to puff anything up. When we almost had even numbers I left because it would be unfair. Your perspective is so skewed and wrong it guts me.

I even came to next to the nexus alone to see if one of you would try to fight me. Which led to me tumbling one time into guards.

Does anyone other than @Xenthos disagree?

(P.S. I kept going because you had us outnumbered and you were getting kills. It seemed like it might be fun for you actually. Maybe it wasn't for you, hopefully it was for the others.)
    Did you ignore this part of my post?

Last actual fight was this:
    Demartel, Auriella, Anelissa, Avurekhos, Yarith, Ciaran, Romaan
    vs.
    Veyils, Versalean, Salome, me.
    I don't know under what world that is "against numbers," but it sure seems to be a bit of puffery to me. You are welcome to rave about it if you want, but don't lie when doing so!

That's certainly not a 2:1 advantage in our favour-- that's closer to 2:1 in yours.

That's not a skewed perspective, that's simple fact. :P
  • Haha. Ok @Xenthos whatever you need to believe.

Scent from when you gave up == the raid that lasted over an hour.
  • It's hard to disagree with him when he posts a log and counts. IJS.
    This was his excuse:
    Ciaran: "I thought you looked through your buffer for the most favorable scent and went with that. "
    Despite, you know, me saying in my post exactly what it was. /shrug
  • At least part of the raid was against numbers, is he allowed to rave for that? 8-| It's okay, we're all friends here, your e-honour isn't tarnished.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
    Ileein said:

At least part of the raid was against numbers, is he allowed to rave for that? 8-| It's okay, we're all friends here, your e-honour isn't tarnished.

Sure he can, but that's not what he raved about. He didn't say anything about "sometimes" or "occasionally," he claimed it was always against numbers... and, um, it demonstrably wasn't.
  • edited August 2016
    So, I have to do this now? Great. Now everyone gets to see how awesome my scent is.

|======= Glomdoring Forest ========/
    8| among plants fighting for life amongst decay (4815)
    8| inst Yarith
    8| the resonating centre of Glomdoring's black heart
    (4847)
    8| unknown Versalean
    8| unknown Siam
    8| unknown Marcael
    8| unknown Kkrelk
    8| geo Veldrin
    8| unknown Athree
    8| unknown Salome
    8| among the twilight trees (4814)
    8| unknown Anelissa
    8| unknown Romaan
    8| md Avurekhos
    8| a rain of leaves (4859)
    8| unknown Xenthos
    8| bc Veyils
    8||_______________________/

10|Avurekhos in from ether
    10||======= Glomdoring Forest ========/
    10| thicket of somber, stunted oak trees (4826)
    10| unknown Versalean
    10| unknown Xenthos
    10| bc Veyils
    10| unknown Salome
    10| the resonating centre of Glomdoring's black heart
    (4847)
    10| unknown Athree
    10| unknown Siam
    10| among plants fighting for life amongst decay (4815)
    10| unknown Anelissa
    10| md Avurekhos
    10| unknown Romaan
    10||_______________________/

||======= Glomdoring Forest ========/
    6| the resonating centre of Glomdoring's black heart
    (4847)
    6| unknown Athree
    6| unknown Siam
    6| bleak collection of beech trees (4817)
    6| unknown Romaan
    6| among plants fighting for life amongst decay (4815)
    6| md Avurekhos
    6| forest buried beneath mounds of musty leaves (4819)
    6| unknown Xenthos
    6| unknown Anelissa
    6| unknown Salome
    6| avenue of jagged trees and darkness (4852)
    6| unknown Versalean
    6| thicket of somber, stunted oak trees (4826)
    6| bc Veyils
    6||_______________________/

10||======= Glomdoring Forest ========/
    10| thicket of somber, stunted oak trees (4826)
    10| unknown Romaan
    10| the resonating centre of Glomdoring's black heart
    (4847)
    10| bc Veyils
    10| unknown Siam
    10| among the twilight trees (4814)
    10| md Avurekhos
    10| among plants fighting for life amongst decay (4815)
    10| unknown Athree
    10| unknown Xenthos
    10| unknown Versalean
    10| unknown Salome
    10||_______________________/

These are the scents from my buffer when we were actually fighting.

Xenthos said:

XenthosXenthos 1:28AM
    ---------------------------
    Now who's going through their buffer for the most favourable scents? Whereas I actually picked & posted the relevant ones at the end.

Yep. You can cherry-pick whatever quotes you want, you know as well as I do that you only raided because you had the numbers advantage, you kept going because you had the numbers advantage, and you were only participating because you thought that with the advantage you'd do better than you did.

--------------------------

That [EDIT: Your scent] was the end of the raid, AFTER they decided to pack it in and give up. A bunch of the people that had fought weren't even on the plane any more. How Xenthos thinks that it's indicative of the numbers in a raid that lasted over an hour is incredible.

Further, the fact that he's convinced you that I'm lying and he's telling the truth baffles me.

Finally, since when do I take fights because I know I'm going to win!? Earlier today Twytch and I ran into the Megalith on nil to attack a novice and freak him out. The novice didn't die, but we both did, because we thought it would be funny.

You're pissing me off @Xenthos and I don't really care about this game that much. I just hate BS.
    How you think that a fight 7:4 at the end, or the quote of the scent immediately after that when those same four actually came back up, isn't relevant is beyond me. All four of us who were fighting were still there, and you still had the numbers advantage.

I, too, hate BS. That's why I am responding. :)
  • Good lord you're insufferable. I'll let people choose for themselves who to believe.

Maybe you remember the part where you first wiped the north because there were only 3 of them? It was because I left to give you guys a chance. I was sitting on prime just waiting for deathsights.

Sounds like someone who just raids to win... Yeah.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Not even sure why people are going back and forth. Not even sure why Glom showed up to such a pitiful raid. All you're doing is encouraging the people who raid to have a meaningful reason to play Lusternia. Just tell them that you're busy and don't have time to play. They don't have the numbers to do any meaningful damage :|

All you're really doing is giving them mental encouragement to raid more because people may show up. If you're ignore them, they take their ball and go home after a while.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited August 2016
    Part of my motivation for raiding and similarly throwing Twytch and I at the novice on Nil was to spur some action for the new members. They almost certainly wouldn't participate, but even hearing about battles going on is a lot more interesting than people idling around the nexus anyway.

Those sorts of experiences can be galvanizing for a novice. I know they were for me.

Sorry.

Edit: Also, <3@Kelly / DragonballZ Kelly (Can you get me a job?)
    Ciaran said:

Part of my motivation for raiding and similarly throwing Twytch and I at the novice on Nil was to spur some action for the new members. They almost certainly wouldn't participate, but even hearing about battles going on is a lot more interesting than people idling around the nexus anyway.

Those sorts of experiences can be galvanizing for a novice. I know they were for me.

Sorry.

I'm sorry, what?

You raided Nil....so the novices would know that they have enemies who attack them?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    "Hey, kids! This is a meteor! Watch the shiny stars!"

Try taking a newbie from your own org hunting and rp with them. It'll work a lot better in the long run.
  • I'm having trouble parsing this sarcasm...

We were raiding nil looking for fights. We saw that there was a novice sitting at the Megalith, we started throwing things into his room. He threw something back and hit me in the face. So we dove into the guards and attacked him. We both died, and I imagine he had a good laugh. We sure did.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Shaddus said:

Not even sure why people are going back and forth. Not even sure why Glom showed up to such a pitiful raid. All you're doing is encouraging the people who raid to have a meaningful reason to play Lusternia. Just tell them that you're busy and don't have time to play. They don't have the numbers to do any meaningful damage :|

All you're really doing is giving them mental encouragement to raid more because people may show up. If you're ignore them, they take their ball and go home after a while.

That's definitely going to revitalize the already extremely dead PvP opportunities and encourage people to actually play this game. Yep.

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Taylor Swift should come here and teach us the fine art of moving on.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

edited August 2016
    That makes much more sense. Carry on!
  • edited August 2016
    Eh, since the influx of new players are likely from MKO, you're likely to be getting people who are used to being PK'd for no reason (not sure if they have Avenger-type protections there, but my impression back when it opened was that it was more open PK)...

But I do feel it is important to note that getting attacked for no reason is, (to say the least) unlikely to convince said newbies from staying around - whether they are veterans in IRE or not. I think it's fair for you to be fishing for what makes this game fun for you. But at the very least, you need to move away from the assumption that it's going to be equally enjoyed by everyone, especially when PK based conflict is explicitly designed to be aggravating and hostile.

Edit: Just to qualify my statements a bit. I don't think MKO newbies need to be coddled, and springing some excitement on them unasked is very possibly a good idea as well. But it's always a good practice to make sure you don't forget that the same kind of action, especially something as visceral as IRE PK, can be just as off-putting to someone who's already being overwhelmed by the loads of new stuff they are struggling to get used to.

• Shaddus said:

"Hey, kids! This is a meteor! Watch the shiny stars!"

Try taking a newbie from your own org hunting and rp with them. It'll work a lot better in the long run.

That attitude is why this game is boring as hell 90% of the time.

Having fun and not doing the same thing every day is probably better for the game. Building relationships and competition against enemies is a good thing. I'm pretty sure everyone in Mag hates Ciaran because I'm often on Nil pushing them, but I'm not griefing them until they want to quit. If they're done fighting I leave. If they don't want to fight, I don't stick around. Still, I'm giving them an enemy. A reason to get better, a reason to engage in conflict.

I thought your post about not engaging in the raid was sarcasm. But it looks like you honestly think that people shouldn't defend so everyone just ends up with nothing to do but afk influence guard stacks.

That would be a great game. Everyone should just be perma-peaced.
    edited August 2016
    The problem I have is twofold. You have this idea that because you're in the mood for pvp, people owe it to you to come running because you kick a demon. You aren't there with an actual purpose beyond trying to make others rise to scratch your itch. What you're doing is almost literally ringing someone's doorbell and yelling that you're there to rob the place, and you're appreciate some opposition. You're not actually there to rob the place, but you keep ringing the doorbell and peeking inside the windows, hoping someone shows up to stop you.

Secondly, and in much less words, it's boring and you're boring. I can almost guarantee you that when a demon gets hit, people shrug and say something to the effect of, "It's just Ciaran/Yarith/Twytch/Avurekhos again". You're predictable, and there isn't a reason to run you off. Sooner or later, you get bored and leave, some nub geomancer gets favored for retainting Nil, and that's that.

Want pvp? Drum up a large Cadre and take down Demon Lords or Night Avatars. Show that you're actually into conflict with consequences, not just "Who can I annoy until they run me off or I get bored?"
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited August 2016
    It's not narrow. It's demonstrably true. Over half of the artifacts cater to the PvP population, 80% of your guild skills are meant to harm other people. This game is for PvPing; roleplaying is absolutely one of the joys of Lusternia, but if it were really all for roleplaying, it'd be little more than a glorified chat room. PvE aspects are made laughable by artifacts and curing systems, and the fact that you generally have, at maximum, three attacks to hit an NPC with (such as cast blast or point staff for a mage). Like, 50% of quests are broken. The only thing worth PvE is when Marani, Zenobia or Cthogglogg is raised, and those are all inherently tied to PvP as well because of their conflict. I don't count the Goloths because you can solo them with a puzzle pyramid.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    (That's also what we say when some Gaudis come up, too.)
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
This discussion has been closed.