Goldflation III

Comments

• Curios are 1-2 goop for normal, 3-5 for rares. If you hit throttle, it will always be 1 goop.
  • So with this new change, the solstice stockings will basicly just give goop and an occasional low-tier arti after the next IG year reset?
  • Sure beats getting herbs and potions.
  • I wasn't complaining, I just wanted to know if those would change over or if they'd still produce comms. I got some comms from mine earlier but I suspect that was because the change didn't retroactively affect stockings that had reset but not been used
  • oooh a Planar Orrery for artisans. An abstracted model of the various planes and bubbles, you can touch a plane or bubble to tune yourself to there and then your communications function as if you were there. The other idea was it lets you do see the who/qw for that plane/bubble (so blocked by gems)
  • Stockings still gave comms when I checked after the year ended. Not sure if intentional, but I've poked Esty about it already.
    Saran said:
    oooh a Planar Orrery for artisans. An abstracted model of the various planes and bubbles, you can touch a plane or bubble to tune yourself to there and then your communications function as if you were there. The other idea was it lets you do see the who/qw for that plane/bubble (so blocked by gems)
    That's actually part of the proposed functionality for the Hallifax radio. It'd be really cool though either way.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • I think it gets determined at the beginning of the year, and wasn't retconned, so next year should be goop
  • Kiradawea said:
    Stockings still gave comms when I checked after the year ended. Not sure if intentional, but I've poked Esty about it already.
    Saran said:
    oooh a Planar Orrery for artisans. An abstracted model of the various planes and bubbles, you can touch a plane or bubble to tune yourself to there and then your communications function as if you were there. The other idea was it lets you do see the who/qw for that plane/bubble (so blocked by gems)
    That's actually part of the proposed functionality for the Hallifax radio. It'd be really cool though either way.
    That's pretty cool, I was going to suggest something like the scrying pool that Seren has, but that's probably a bit too much.
  • Arix said:
    I think it gets determined at the beginning of the year, and wasn't retconned, so next year should be goop
    I think it's more likely that stockings simply aren't changed to goop. I pulled leather out of my stocking this year. Also, it makes more sense (to me, at least) to put the random function at the "pull item from stocking" command instead of predetermining what's in the stocking when it resets.
  • We'll just have to wait and see. The stocking is only once every IG year, rather than once every IG day, so it's nowhere near as huge a strain as genies. They're also way rarer than genies. It'd be great if they provided a decent chunk'a goop, but I can understand not wanting to change how much the stocking gives.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    What if stockings just produced one present each year?
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    No objection here.  Hooray presents.
  • I'd be perfectly fine with that. It wouldn't exactly break much either.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Still wishing I could transfer a stocking from an old character, or get a new one for Luce...
  • I'm irked and frustrated by my inability to acquire one of those stockings.  The completionist/collector in me is annoyed.

• I wasn't going to do anything with stockings because they are rare and only once a year, but I'll think about a present in them.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Eldanien said:
    I'm irked and frustrated by my inability to acquire one of those stockings.  The completionist/collector in me is annoyed.
    My issue is more that I had at least three, one was on a retired character, and two more at least are sitting on characters I never log into and have no interest in doing so, and the only reason I haven't retired them is that they aren't worth enough. =/
  • There's nothing wrong with keeping stockings as they are either really. The commodities they produce are nothing compared to all of the other sources of commodities we had.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    I agree with Falmiis. You don't need to be overly aggressive in getting rid of the commodity-producing items. Stockings are only yearly and unlikely to have much impact on the game economy.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    All or nothing! Dig deep, take care of everything!

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • There's a huge difference between a small amount of commodities and a present though.
    You mean a present that most of the time gave a small number of commodities and/or gold anyways?

I certainly have no use for the comms from a stocking.  I see no reason for it to keep giving comms, since we dropped it from everything else.  It does not really matter if it is just one time per ic year or 12, to me.
  • What? No way. Presents are much more valuable than you are trying to make out. At a minimum, they're now going to give you at least a few credits worth of goop with a (fairly good) chance of much, much more.
    edited August 2016
    I'm not saying anything about what they are doing now, I'm talking about what they used to do-- which was often give out an equivalent number of commodities to what I get from my stocking.  100-200.

Sure, presents are more valuable now, but that doesn't actually matter in this case.  We're comparing what both items used to do, which was give commodities.  One no longer does, the other still does, and the one that does just doesn't need to.  If we're going to fix it, just fix it all, don't leave some of it behind because some people are feeling like they still want to be able to get free commodities for some unknown reason ("but it's okay because it's just once a year!").  Like Sidd said, just fix it all.

Edit: I'm not even saying it *must* give a present (though that would be nice), but no matter what it gives it should not be commodities.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Stockings should probably be brought in line with genies. Small amount of goop as most predominant, along with the rare chance for possible tonic, coin, lips, palette or present.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    So at the risk of revealing how out of touch I am with the intended game economy... Where will commodities come from when all these sources are eliminated? :confused:
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Villages naturally produce certain commodities and tithe them up to their patron orgs. You can also complete certain mini-quests to boost commodity production per completion (such as chickens, cows, sheep, and raw timber), or until undone (such as killing/redeeming a dwarven or hyfae miner, crowning a High King or Queen of the Dwarves, or stealing spiders for Angkrag/Dairuchi).
    Daraius said:
    So at the risk of revealing how out of touch I am with the intended game economy... Where will commodities come from when all these sources are eliminated? :confused:
    The normal way-- you pay gold for them!

You just will pay it at villages and org comm shops instead of manse shops (eventually, once the manse shops have their stockpiles depleted).
  • and then remove all the other conversion quests

This discussion has been closed.