Final Fantasy

Comments

• edited December 2016
    They always made the girls in final fantasy way more attractive than the men. The girls had boobs the size of space shuttles and perfect hair, the guys always look like they lost a fight with a flat iron. Squall would have been half okay if he wasn't so depressing he could make a room full of clowns cry. And he wore a fur coat.

Then there were always the guys who looked like girls and you were never really sure. 

edit: There is no way Tifa was capable of hand to hand combat with those two blimps on her chest. She couldn't even see her feet. 
    I'm totally not Cyndarin.
  • edited December 2016
    I thought VIII's story unraveled completely after the first disc; even beyond the super lame and ridiculous 'twist,' I thought it was really bad and silly and vague/not very compelling after that. The battle system felt a bit more tedious to me, too, than in other installments.

IX's my favorite - I find it and all of its characters utterly charming, and I love it's whole vibe and aesthetic and love story.

That's followed by VII, which totally blew my mind as a kid. I don't really think it was overrated, even if it's not my fave.

Big fan of VI, although I don' t love its final act.

Pre VI, there are none that I really adore.

Weirdly, I hated X the first time I played it (and let off twenty hours in), then loved it the second time I played it. I chalk that up to the cringe-worthy voice acting and translation, which I guess, when I expected it the second time, didn't bother me so much. Really emotive music, which I feel like really served to make the already emotional story that much more so.

XII was fun and I liked a number of the characters a lot. I wish they'd felt more personally connected to the main story, though, and that the cut scenes weren't so sparsely scattered through the game. I also wish that Balthier or Basch had been the protagonist and not Vaan, who was awful. I thought the translation was a huge step up from X's.

Haven't played any of them since.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Hey, Auron's face looks like that for a reason!
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • edited December 2016
    Everiine said:
    Hey, Auron's face looks like that for a reason!
    Auron's my favorite thing about X.

EDIT: Okay, him and the heart-wrenching ending.
  • I was fun if somewhat standard. It's showing it's age, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it.
    II was so surprise dark. I didn't mind the combat system itself all that much to be honest. What I did mind was the dungeons, and the ridiculous amount of "trap rooms" where if you enter the wrong room, you're taken to the middle of the room and forced to fight tons of really hard random encounters to get back out. Who thought *that* was a good idea?
    Never played III
    IV was awesome, with the spooniest of bards hiding behind the most awesome kiddie summoner. There were a few senseless sacrifices that are so blatantly an excuse to rid the party of certain characters, but at least the game play was fun. And Rydia was awesome.
    V was a fantastic game. The job system was fantastic, the story was fantastic, the gameplay was fantastic. Just too bad it lacked decent characterization. There were a lot of characterization hints, but honestly the characters felt very interchangeable, which didn't help when you consider the job system.
    VI was the bestest. Terra and Celes are to this day among the finest characters ever made for a FF game. The game did suffer a bit from a weak final act, but despite the enormous cast, I felt the game did a good job of fleshing out and breathing life to all the characters.
    VII is overhyped. It's not bad, but it's got a far, far weaker story than the SNES era games.
    VIII. *yaaaawn*
    IX. Didn't play.
    X. Man, Yuna's such a great main character isn't she? Just too bad that the story focuses so much on that bratty, annoying, shrill, unempathic, very uninteresting tag-along guardian she recently recruited.
    X-2. The dress-sphere combat system is something I actually find fun. Just... too bad that everything else about the game is so bad.
    XII. Has the same problem as X. Very uninteresting viewpoint character (Tidus/Vaan) wrests the narrative from a strong and interesting protagonist that I'd much rather the game focus entirely on (Yuna/Ashe). And Vaan is far less likeable than Tidus to boot.
    XIII Burn it, pour the ashes in holy water and throw it all in the gorge and maybe you will manage to scrub of the taint of associating with such filth.
    XV So I know you're not supposed to judge a book by it's cover... but I am really not feeling enticed to play a game where the entire main cast look like they're posing for a generic emo boy-band. I doubt I'll be getting that. Especially with how disappointing FF has been since X.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • I actually really enjoyed Crystal Chronicles. My brother and I played the heck out of it.

My first one was FFIV and think it was my first RPG even, always gonna have a special place for me. I rather liked that it had a bunch of characters, but you'd only have access to 3-4 of them at any given point in the story so never felt overloaded like in VI and after where we have a ton of characters but majority of them I never really touch.

The last proper one I played was X, never did blitzball but I enjoyed that you could move people onto other characters parts of the leveling grid eventually to make them way OP and one shot the final boss with a single melee hit from Yuna.

Had a very brief time with XI, that was a hoot.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Anyone ever played any of the spinoffs, either various tactics games, theaterhythms or even Adventurers?

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• I debated Final Fantasy world but the animation just bothers me so much. Why are their heads so big? It's just hard to take any kind of storyline seriously when you look like a lego.
    Niradnic said:
    I debated Final Fantasy world but the animation just bothers me so much. Why are their heads so big? It's just hard to take any kind of storyline seriously when you look like a lego.
    What about the LEGO Movie? LEGO Batman movie? :(
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• There are lego movies? Man, people will buy anything. 
    They aren't even cheap, made-for-TV crapfests. They're legit movies.

• "Legit," is a questionable descriptor. 
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    The Lego movie was actually surprisingly good. One of the more enjoyable movies I've had to sit through with my niece.

Anyway, Final Fantasy. My favorite is VII. I know the cool thing these days is to say it's overrated and dismiss it, but it was an enormous part of my childhood and I still do love it. It's not a perfect game, but it's a damn good one. Not very excited for the remake. There's no way they're going to get it right.

I did not like VIII. The only reason I played it was for Triple Triad.

I tried playing Brave Exivus on my phone, but got bored of it after two days. At least I pulled a Rydia for my team. Who doesn't love Rydia?

Don't have a console so none of the new game for me. Not sure if I'd get it even if I had one, anyway. From what I've seen, there's big monsters out in the open world, which reminds me of Xenoblade Chronicles, so that wins it some points with me. But I'm not crazy about the look of the boyband main party. 
  • edited December 2016
    Karlach said:
    Anyone ever played any of the spinoffs, either various tactics games, theaterhythms or even Adventurers?
    FFTA was actually my first tactics game. Well, second, after Ogre Battle, but that's not really the same. It was pretty compelling for a kid at the time, and it made me a fan of the genre. I've moved on to Fire Emblem since, but the lens of nostalgia will ensure there's always a space for it in my heart.

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Karlach said:
    This feels like an open invitation to me, so I guess I will mention them...

You know how I said FFIV was one of my first rpgs? Want to know what the very first ones were? The Final Fantasy Legend series on the Gameboy. Or at least, that's what they were called in the states! These games were actually from the SaGa series, and Squaresoft had just changed the name to Final Fantasy to help sales. Ironically, playing these games at a young age is what steered me to wanting to play the SNES games.

They were not the best rpgs ever, by far, but they were weird, wonderful experiences at the time. Super limited inventories, items that decay as you use them, incredibly wonky translation, and a game script that was set not to specific characters, but where in the party a character was located. So you could basically change around everyone's personalities by reorganising your party (sometimes to hilarious effect). You could have monsters in your party and if they ate meat left over from a random encounter, they could transform into a new one (generally from that same level range).

In one of these games, you end up with a ship that can travel across time, and the CPU was none other than the disembodied brain of your father, encased in glass (this ship also had a functioning toilet).

In another one of these games, there was a section that was basically a rip-off of an old kung-fu movie. Everything was Chinese themed, and the original subplot was stopping a heroine smuggling operation. But obviously, Amercian censorship back in the day never would have allowed that! So how did they address that? They changed it to... a banana smuggling operation. Just sub out ever instance of "heroine" for "banana" instead. To this day, encountering this subplot remains one of my most memorable rpg experiences. Totally laughed myself silly that day.

So yeah, not technically Final Fantasy but damn it I never get to talk about them, so if you've never heard of them now you know a little more.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Final Fantasy Legend 2 was one of my first FF games.

Final Fantasy 2 wasn't all that bad, and was more customizable than you might think.

FF3j wasn't bad, playwise. The storyline was absolutely horrible, but this was the first FF game with class changes in it.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Phoebus said:
    I tried playing Brave Exivus on my phone, but got bored of it after two days. At least I pulled a Rydia for my team. Who doesn't love Rydia?
    +1 tried it and got bored of it, Record Keeper is the better FF phone game.

Also the active KH style combat in the FF7 remake kills my interest in what I hoped would be a modern ATB.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Being an immensely active player of FF BE (I have at  least four active accounts on the JP version, and around four accounts on Global, as well as admining a group in Facebook for it with a bit under 5k members), I understand your frustration. I myself love the game, but it's been hideously downgraded from JP to Global. The rewards are lower, JP tends to shower its players with gifts, they've skipped a lot of events in Global. It's not bad, just not as good as it -should- be.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • of the old school Final Fantasy games, my favorites are V and VI. I couldn't really get into the first three and I kinda liked IV. Of the console versions, I really liked IX, I liked VII when I first played it but when I tried playing it again I found it uninteresting. VIII was ok but easy to game stats, with characters that didn't really stand out to me aside from limit breaks, and once you got Quistis' Degenerator it made the game super easy. I liked the mechanics if X, but the fact that the two most annoying characters (to me) were voiced by two of my favorite voice actors irritates me to no end. I really liked the plot, music, graphics and lore of XII, the fact that the blond pretty guy was NOT the protagonist (like X), and the bestiary. I did not like the combat though it works for the mechanics, and I didn't like all the grinding
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    My turn. Like @Everiine, my first and favorite main entry is FFX. Love the battle system, item customization, lore and story, characters (yeah even Tidus). It even has a token furry.

Final Fantasy Tactics, despite its story being completely inscrutable in the original translation, is nearly perfect. Certain class combinations were outrageously OP, but you had to work for them. Love the solo boss fight that's impossible to win if your main character doesn't have Guts and a strong punch.  :D

My first run through FFVII was in middle school, and I had to play it in bits and pieces while my step dad was out of the house, because he was an asshole that didn't share his toys. More recently I picked it up on PS3 and was struck by what a goofball Cloud could be. Not much chance of that being preserved in the remake, I bet. Red XIII and Cid are the highlights of that game. Could do without Boobs Lockhart.

I've enjoyed every entry enough to complete them, but a few left me feeling burned. FFXII was supposedly set in the same Ivalice as Tactics Advance, but I would have loved to see Judges incorporated in a similar kind of role in the universe, and the racial diversity of the main party was hugely disappointing. Seriously, you have moogles, bangaas, and seeqs all over the world but you get one scantily clad bunny woman in a party full of humans. I wasn't fond of the license board or the gambit system, never really figured out how to activate various eidolons' (or were they espers?) limit breaks. We can all agree that Balthier was the leading man tho. 

FFXIII had an incredible core concept. A world kept afloat and provided for by artificially intelligent constructs that occasionally enslave humans, then turn them into either crystals or monsters depending on whether they succeed or fail? Eff yes. I want to explore the hell out of that society. That whole sequence of games dropped the ball so hard. 

Personally, I'd like to see the series move away from active battle systems, especially ones that resemble Kingdom Hearts. Also, more furries. I see regular humans every day. How about some diversity?

I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Everiine said:
    I hated Blitzball...
    All the mini games were crap, but that didn't stop me from earning and unlocking every ultimate weapon.  :s

Sylandra said:
    I bought an FF game during Black Friday for cheaps. I can't remember which one. It's the first one I've ever owned, though, and I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet.

Edit: XIII? Is that a good one?
    It's excessively linear at the beginning, and excessively open at the end. I actually liked a lot of the characters and their interactions, but the game does an awful job delving into its most interesting lore. The sequels throw all semblance of good storytelling out the window. Weapon upgrading is not intuitive and the paradigm/stagger system makes for (imo) pretty boring battles. Not the best point of entry, I'd say, but if you got it cheap, it's worth having.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Aw, man. :( So I should hold off until I get something more classic? My PS2 is at the bf's place (because he must play Tales of the Abyss by my decree or else! ! !) meaning I've just got my PS3 right now. Is this the kind of series you can feasibly play on Steam?
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Daraius said:
    I've enjoyed every entry enough to complete them, but a few left me feeling burned. FFXII was supposedly set in the same Ivalice as Tactics Advance, but I would have loved to see Judges incorporated in a similar kind of role in the universe, and the racial diversity of the main party was hugely disappointing. Seriously, you have moogles, bangaas, and seeqs all over the world but you get one scantily clad bunny woman in a party full of humans. I wasn't fond of the license board or the gambit system, never really figured out how to activate various eidolons' (or were they espers?) limit breaks. We can all agree that Balthier was the leading man tho.
    Them's fighting words. Ashe was the main character of XII. The game was her story and her quest to restore Dalmasca. Everyone else are characters that dance to the tune of this primary story. Just like how Yuna was the real main character of X, since the story was about her pilgrimage to stop Sin.

That said, I wholly agree that the game dropped the ball on non-human characters. This was a great opportunity to finally give us another moogle playable character. I love Mog, and would love to see more moogles.

Actually, they should just cave and create a game where you play a party consisting of a Moogle, a Tonberry, a Cactuar and a Chocobo.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    That report is wrong, FF3 got a full English version already, it's been on the DS years and I thoroughly recommend it.

• True, but like getting the first nine all in one compilation is pretty nice.
  • Sylandra said:
    Aw, man. :( So I should hold off until I get something more classic? My PS2 is at the bf's place (because he must play Tales of the Abyss by my decree or else! ! !) meaning I've just got my PS3 right now. Is this the kind of series you can feasibly play on Steam?
    I tried Tales of the Abyss, but I just couldn't get hooked on fonics
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Arix said:
    Sylandra said:
    I tried Tales of the Abyss, but I just couldn't get hooked on fonics

(*If you didn't get to Akzeriuth reserve judgment until then.)
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Sylandra said:
    If you have it, you might as well play it. It's the worst game in the series IMHO. Even II was better. But some people did enjoy it. Give it a shot, see if you like it, and ignore those that says the game gets better after 20 hours of play, because you should not play a game you find boring for 20 hours because it "might" get better.

That said, you can get the games from VII to X on Steam, and they work just fine. At least those I've tried. According to the article above, they're planning on releasing the XII Zodiac version worldwide later on, so if you want to try XII, and I think you do, the story is just up your alley, wait for that version to be released. It might be released on Steam too when that happens.
    Karlach said:
    That report is wrong, FF3 got a full English version already, it's been on the DS years and I thoroughly recommend it.

It's right. The original NES version was never released outside of Japan, and that's what is being remade. The DS remake does exist, but it's an updated, rebalanced version of the old game.
  • The original SNES version of FF IV to VI play well enough, bugs and all, on the PC for you to jump in, too.