Final Fantasy

1235»

Comments

• edited December 2016
    I won't lie. FF games have some of the most amazing cutscenes at times. One of my favourites is from FF14 (an mmo,  but still!) - Music makes it even more epic <3
    Definitely recommend watching! It's not really a spoiler, since it's a prelude to the game itself.

Bahamut has been my favourite since basically forever <3
    Email:        el.ni93@hotmail.com
    Discord:    Rey#1460
  • Loving XIV at the moment... VII and X are tied for my favorite though VII mostly for nostalgia purposes and the excitement of a game with 4discs! 

The roommate has the XV and plays it on occasion and looks interesting 
  • IX is possibly one of the better games to get into the series with. It takes itself seriously, but still is playful enough to give a throwback nod to the character archetypes of the first few FFs. Its mechanics are not as game-breakingly exploitable as some other FFs. At the same time, it's not too difficult to grasp and start letting you feel good about your characters and the fights. It has a compelling story with compelling characters, only Zidane is sort of boring. But that's because Zidane suffers from the need of all FF main characters to be the vessel of projection for the teens the game targets as its player demographic, so he ends up being a little inconsistent with weird moments of courage and weird moments of whiny and weird moments of cool-not-cool.

Which, given the fact that he has a monkey tail, can actually be sort of waved off as just him being him.

Well, of course, character-wise it's always subjective. For example, we have Celina up there shitting on poor Dagger while her own namesake from the Star Ocean series is a pretty lousy caster with an ugly hat. But I digress. Personally, I found Dagger to be a fun character to play. She gets shoehorned into many stereotypical roles expected of a character in her position (princess, main female lead, damsel in distress etc) but she was still well written enough to stand on her own, I think. Overall, IX was a solid game for anyone, really.

(VI is still the best, though.)

• edited December 2016
    CELINE JULES WAS AN AMAZING CHARACTER SHUT YOUR MOUTH I WILL FIND YOU IRL.

(I didn't mind Dagger the character. Eiko was just better mechanically with phoenix, carbuncle, holy makes damage summons irrelevant, and full-life. Eiko herself is kind of annoying/stupid looking)
    I'm totally not Cyndarin.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Honestly, the worst part about IX was the load times. Random encounters are pretty frequent in some areas, and maybe it was just an issue with my playstation but it was easily 3-5 seconds slower per battle than XIII.
  • I still play Tactics, even if I've never beaten it. It's about a yearly thing that I'll load it up and see how far I can get before frustration trounces me. Sometimes that's not even completing chapter 1.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    The missus picked up FFXV for me yesterday. I'm about an hour into it, and really enjoying it. I'm not really a fan of the active battle style, but it's pretty fun so far.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Eiko was the most annoying character in IX
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Worse than Quina? Come on now..

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Quina and Eiko were amazing at what they could do in combat. Eiko was a total brat though.
    The Divine voice of Ianir the Anomaly echoes in your head, "You are a ray of sunshine in a sea of 
    depression. I just wanted you to know that."
  • You two clearly have not been listening to Ignis tell you to chill the hell out fifty times an hour, because he's on my hotlist.
    (Magnagora): Thax says, "My truest favour to the soldier that brings me the weave of Neos."
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Waiting on a PC release of XV.

I misread this as Ingus at first and was about to point out how he's still one of the most utterly broken characters across all of FF.

Gogo doublewield shield + taunt.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Rideta said:
    You two clearly have not been listening to Ignis tell you to chill the hell out fifty times an hour, because he's on my hotlist.
    I've got it! I've come up with a new recipe!
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    Rideta said:
    You two clearly have not been listening to Ignis tell you to chill the hell out fifty times an hour, because he's on my hotlist.
    I've got it! I've come up with a new recipeeaahhh

(Magnagora): Thax says, "My truest favour to the soldier that brings me the weave of Neos."
    snaps his fingers and nods
  • Hrm, I'm wondering if I should give FFXIV a spin and see how they do the mmo style.

• I've heard a lot of good things about FFXIV. All my friends play it and tease me for not being able to play it myself. :'(

Anyway. XV.

[spoiler]
    XV is a game that seems to want to emulate the storytelling of VI, but fails because it doesn't understand what made VI such a great game. VI was a story about hope. About how life will find a way even after it seems everything is over and you have no more reason to fight. About moving on from loss and look at tomorrow with hope. It has what is to me one of the best story-telling moments of all in gaming history. Where the end of the world is seen through Celes's eyes. Where she wakes up to a world where she may be the last living human remaining along with Cid. The scene after Cid's death where Celes attempts suicide does a powerful job of emphasising just how horribly deep a despair you start from. Then one single ray of hope is found, and through that single hope the team is gathered back up again, and Celes, Terra and the others manage to defeat Kefka after having found a reason to live still in a world that is in ruin. It is a grand journey from hopelessness and despair, to hope.

XV fails because it forgets that ounce of inspiration and purpose. In the end, nothing matters and you may as well not bother. There's no inspiration to be wrested from XV's ending. No hope. I'm... speaking in broad terms so as to not spoil too much but... there is a huge difference between pointlessness and pathos. A difference XV doesn't seem aware of.
    [/spoiler]
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • I know your pain right now, I'm nearly finished it and just want to scream at it for being silly.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

I'm going to have to disagree. FFXV's main problem is that it expects you to research the backstory before you play. The ending is full of hope, though bittersweet. He's finally reunited with his childhood friend/fiancee, though the cost is high, and his sacrifice cleanses his land and those around it of the plague of demons.

By the way, Celes doesn't try to suicide if you keep Cid alive. Stuff those fish into him ! :P
  • [spoiler]What hope? Everyone dies. Luna, Noctis, his bros. Sure. Not-Kefka dies, but there was never any hope in the story prior to this, where in VI it was this hope that drove the returners to fight against Kefka. And while after VI the party for the most part move on with their lives to build a new life in the ruins of the old, that doesn't happen in XV. Y'know. On account of everyone being dead. The game doesn't even give you a proper Duane and Katarin moment to remind you of what you're fighting for. The ending isn't bittersweet. It's a downright downer. [/spoiler]
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    Yeah, you're right. The whole trip was in vain. He should have just stayed in Chapter 3 and fished.