The Lag Games

Lag. It's a thing. A real, sucky thing that happens in Lusternia when big groups meet big groups.

I've been working with Envoys for a while now and have, with their help, managed to scrape together a number of reports and profiles that have helped me narrow down some of the causes. With that said, there's nothing quite like seeing it first hand, and while it will be unpleasant, I hope that it will generate some good live data for me to investigate.

On that note, I'll be hosting a few game-wide arena events this weekend, probably Saturday night GMT/Saturday afternoon EST/PST. I would appreciate it if as many people as possible could partake and in general cause a bit of a ruckus.

I will provide snacks and assorted amusement throughout the night, and there may well be some prizes or tokens of appreciation.

Please accept my apologies as this may cause a degradation of service during the running of the event, but sadly we may have to persevere through this in order to break through to the other side.

Much love,
Iosai.

Comments

• I'll try to be there, smashin' the bones of my enemies.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• By night time Gmt do you mean like 21:00+ or like midnight onwards type thing? Just out of interest?
  • Make a huge wargames.

Every problem seems to involve a meld, that could be purely because of numbers involved, but my hunch is you will see more lag with 20 people in a meld (2 teams of 10) than if you have 10 in a meld and 10 outside it.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuu
  • edited December 2016
    Malarious said:
    Make a huge wargames.

Every problem seems to involve a meld, that could be purely because of numbers involved, but my hunch is you will see more lag with 20 people in a meld (2 teams of 10) than if you have 10 in a meld and 10 outside it.
    I don't think I've said this to you before (but I've said it to Envoys a few times) - there's no indication at the time that melds are a significant cause of lag. :)

I have a few things I want to keep an eye on during the Games, but I'll be interested to see what else pops up. And hopefully I'll have loaded a few patches before we start, so will be able to eyeball how well those are working.
  • Veyils said:
    By night time Gmt do you mean like 21:00+ or like midnight onwards type thing? Just out of interest?
    Probably something like 2100-0000, but there is leeway to start before or run on until after if needed.
  • Just thinking would it help if we posted logs of exceptionally laggy events? There's a few recent fights where the lag got out of control I didn't think to post them before because well its not really interesting to watch but in future if we bump into large lag events would it help to have a timestamped log for you to research into? 

I mean hopefully tonight fixes a lot of things but in future would you like lag logs gathered and collated?

• The Envoys have a way to trigger a log from behind-the-scenes, which contains a lot of raw data for narrowing down what's going on. Logs from the player-side are less useful for me, but thanks for offering. :)

FYI, I will probably start running a game in the next 30-60 minutes.
  • I'm sad I'm missing them, good luck everyone, have fun and I hope you get good results Iosai!

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• Many thanks to all who participated! Got some good data (even though we didn't hit lockout as I'd hoped) - and I now need to go and kick off some conversations. :)
This discussion has been closed.