Factions 2017

123457»

Comments

• DrauzgotDrauzgot Member Posts: 45 Capable
    To weigh in on the "Appointed Secondary Leadership" thing, where you have one elected leader and two people they pick: They had this sort of leadership structure in both Midkemia and still have it in Aetolia, and it is very easy to end up with an organization that's completely stacked for one player rather than a truly democratic society. You also run into the issue of having people appointed for positions that they are either not qualified for, or don't perform well, or whatever and the main leader won't get rid of them because they're friends or whatever.

I do think it's important to be able to elect all three leaders, both for the health of the organization and the morale of the actual players in an organization.

I also like the idea of not having city leadership based off of the organizations within it, i.e. not having faction leaders automatically be in a council positions. They also have this in Aetolia and had it in Midkemia, and you elected all positions. In Midkemia, they then elected their own city leader from the people who were there.

Chances are, everyone's going to be in an organization, so there should be accurate guild representation with at least one person from each faction on the council.
  • FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon Member Posts: 1,456 Transcendent
    Or just have one leader that anyone can contest at any time.
  • DrauzgotDrauzgot Member Posts: 45 Capable
    After re-reading the first post, the single leader thing does seem rather good - especially since the guild representative has to be elected after it's appointed. That does prevent us from having to deal with too much nepotism.

Having one guild leader can cause a case of severe sucking up, though, which can cause its own sort of drama.
  • SteingrimSteingrim Member Posts: 806 Fabled
    Saran said: ...
    Based on this post, it seems like you're suggesting that the two roles who are not responsible for the system can go against the wishes of the one who is and kick out people they don't like? Seems like in trying to avoid drama new avenues are being created. Really, it's like people from other departments at a workplace firing you without necessarily talking to your boss about it.
    No I am suggesting that the person who's job is to remove a type of person has to convince one of their peers. Using a current example. I new GC couldn't remove someone from protector or security unilaterally.
    You tell Wyrden Ravager Tarken, "Come to Gaudiguch. I'll give you the title of Grand Moth."
    Eyes peering skywards as he thinks, Ironbeard the Magnanimous says to Sksez, "Welll, on my gooD lis *hic* t, we have....Stei *hic* ng *hic* rim.U..Xypherv....Luu *hic* hghaigh *hic* hhe....Breandryn....."
  • ShaddusShaddus *Heavy Breathing Intensifies*Member Posts: 7,238 Transcendent
    Heya, @Ianir. Once factions are out and there's no real reason to keep them separate, will Gaudiguch/Mag gain Healing, and Celest/Hallifax gain Hexes?
    2017/04/23 00:29:14 - Nefara honoured Shaddus for: For his dedication to the Earthen Lords and Lady, 
    and willingness to assist our young Pupils. Despite his choosing to not progress himself further, he 
    still works for the Geomancers, and the Engine, in any way he is capable. Also comes with a healthy 
    dose of rebellion, to ensure us of the Council can not be too relaxed.
    I don't really see where the link between factions and healing/hexes is.
  • ShaddusShaddus *Heavy Breathing Intensifies*Member Posts: 7,238 Transcendent
    Probably in the same place where each city can only have one, but not the other.
    2017/04/23 00:29:14 - Nefara honoured Shaddus for: For his dedication to the Earthen Lords and Lady, 
    and willingness to assist our young Pupils. Despite his choosing to not progress himself further, he 
    still works for the Geomancers, and the Engine, in any way he is capable. Also comes with a healthy 
    dose of rebellion, to ensure us of the Council can not be too relaxed.
    It is a design decision that has balance implications. It has nothing to do with factions.
  • CrekCrek Member Posts: 186 Expert
    Falaeron said:
    It is a design decision that has balance implications. It has nothing to do with factions.
    You mean a tarot wicca is NOT something we want? I don't know, man. I don't know.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman Member Posts: 4,359 Transcendent
    Shaddus said:
    Probably in the same place where each city can only have one, but not the other.
    And with factions each city will still have one and not the other. Faction changes won't be merging cities, so
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen Member Posts: 606 Transcendent
    I had a thought when I was in the shower this morning, though I vaguely feel like it's been answered before. What will happen to guild help files and news posts? I.e., do I need to start hoarding now?
  • IsuneIsune Gods Posts: 375 Divine
    I do not speak for those with the definitive answer, but would either way, recommend you make your own copies. Worst case, you saved them, best case, you have your own personal memories of what was. 
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde Member Posts: 1,292 Transcendent
    edited March 24
    So is there going to be any sort of questionnaire quiz thing online or something to help you figure out where to put your character for the individual factions?
  • EjderhaEjderha Member Posts: 33 Capable
    Selenity said:
    So is there going to be any sort of questionnaire quiz thing online or something to help you figure out where to put your character for the individual factions?
    I would hope that the in game events/information provide what we need to make these choices, rather than some quiz. Online quizzes are fun to know which Harry Potter character I am, not to make relatively important choices...
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde Member Posts: 1,292 Transcendent
    Ejderha said:
    Selenity said:
    I would hope that the in game events/information provide what we need to make these choices, rather than some quiz. Online quizzes are fun to know which Harry Potter character I am, not to make relatively important choices...
    Well I'd like both ideally! Plenty of IC info but a quiz-thing to help you make a decision if you're not sure.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen CanadaMember Posts: 1,205 Transcendent
    Selenity said:
    Ejderha said:
    Selenity said:
    Well I'd like both ideally! Plenty of IC info but a quiz-thing to help you make a decision if you're not sure.
    I believe that most if not all factions are intended to be fully fleshed-out after their release, similar to how guilds were. At least, that's the plan with Glomdoring's factions. We're establishing a pretty solid foundation, but a lot of the more particular details will probably be left for post-release, to allow the players themselves to flavour them more effectively. Glom's factions, at least, are also being designed to fit a wide range of character types, so I'm not sure a quiz would provide any accuracy, as we're trying to avoid a cut-and-dry stereotypical division of characters.

My advice would be to look over the established information on your org's factions and try to imagine your character's arc growing within; if it seems like it would be a natural progression rather than a forced adaptation, that could be your answer!
    Tonight amidst the mountaintops   
    And endless starless night   
    Singing how the wind was lost   
    Before an earthly flight
    Rancoura said:
    Selenity said:
    Ejderha said:
    Selenity said:
    I believe that most if not all factions are intended to be fully fleshed-out after their release, similar to how guilds were. At least, that's the plan with Glomdoring's factions. We're establishing a pretty solid foundation, but a lot of the more particular details will probably be left for post-release, to allow the players themselves to flavour them more effectively. Glom's factions, at least, are also being designed to fit a wide range of character types, so I'm not sure a quiz would provide any accuracy, as we're trying to avoid a cut-and-dry stereotypical division of characters.

My advice would be to look over the established information on your org's factions and try to imagine your character's arc growing within; if it seems like it would be a natural progression rather than a forced adaptation, that could be your answer!
    This is very good advice, except that from what I was told, there is a clan for the faction reformation thing that doesn't have too much information, and from what I can see, it looks like the thread regarding factions in the Serenwilde Factions section is closed.
  • IsuneIsune Gods Posts: 375 Divine
    Members of each city's planning clans are encouraged to discuss the new factions at least OOCly with everyone. As long as it's kept strictly OOC, we want players to be comfortable and ready when things start happening. I would recommend reaching out to someone in your city's leadership as a start to see who is in the clan or not, and see if they'd be willing to discuss the options with you and from there you may find you know where you belong. 
    Isune said:
    Members of each city's planning clans are encouraged to discuss the new factions at least OOCly with everyone. As long as it's kept strictly OOC, we want players to be comfortable and ready when things start happening. I would recommend reaching out to someone in your city's leadership as a start to see who is in the clan or not, and see if they'd be willing to discuss the options with you and from there you may find you know where you belong. 
    Will do when I get home. Thanks.
  • TremulaTremula I just really like Chocobos Member Posts: 2,259 Transcendent
    Hermione as goon squad is now making me giggle.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
123457»