Rank Names

EstarraEstarra Administrator, Moderator Posts: 821 Creator
I'm mulling over the idea of having factions start with generic rank names. Then, each faction can customize their rank names at the cost of 10,000 gold/rank (if they want). This will also set in place a mechanic for customizing rank names in the future if the faction so desires (though probably admin approval would still be necessary). Admittedly, part of this is because changing guild ranks is a huge pain in the derriere for myself, but I thought self-customization may be a desirable feature. Thoughts?

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman Member Posts: 4,384 Transcendent
    edited January 24
    How many ranks will there be?

EDIT: Customization of rank names is good, but there isn't any point in charging for initial rank names. It's also worth noting that I don't think I've ever seen or heard of rank names being referenced or anyone using ranks above 5 in any meaningful way period so it might not matter much.

The guild positions are almost guaranteed to be dramatically more important, being able to change those with some kind of plebiscite would be great.
  • SsalissSsaliss Member Posts: 3,573 Transcendent
    Personally, the more self-customisation options we get, the better! Might be good to put in some kind of limiter though (one rank per IC year, forced referendums, etc). This limiter probably shouldn't apply for the first while though, so that the new factions can be set up quickly at the start.
  • ShaddusShaddus *Heavy Breathing Intensifies*Member Posts: 7,484 Transcendent
    Enyalida said:
    How many ranks will there be?

EDIT: Customization of rank names is good, but there isn't any point in charging for initial rank names. It's also worth noting that I don't think I've ever seen or heard of rank names being referenced or anyone using ranks above 5 in any meaningful way period so it might not matter much.

The guild positions are almost guaranteed to be dramatically more important, being able to change those with some kind of plebiscite would be great.
    Well, guild faction ranks should be easier to gain this time around
    2017/04/23 00:29:14 - Nefara honoured Shaddus for: For his dedication to the Earthen Lords and Lady, 
    and willingness to assist our young Pupils. Despite his choosing to not progress himself further, he 
    still works for the Geomancers, and the Engine, in any way he is capable. Also comes with a healthy 
    dose of rebellion, to ensure us of the Council can not be too relaxed.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman Member Posts: 4,384 Transcendent
    It's generally pretty easy to gain them currently, they just don't mean anything. IMO, markers of specific achievement and skill are and should always be more important and valuable than "I did something unspecific at some point that made my rank go up, which could have been literally saving the world or just running a script to handle the guild shop" /shrug

With a "the leader makes up as many guild positions as they want and assigns guild powers to those positions as they want" kind of system, it makes a lot more sense to just appoint people to positions based on what you want their "rank" to be, rather than using an actual favors/rank system. 
  • SaranSaran Member Posts: 1,629 Mythical
    Enyalida said:
    It's generally pretty easy to gain them currently, they just don't mean anything. IMO, markers of specific achievement and skill are and should always be more important and valuable than "I did something unspecific at some point that made my rank go up, which could have been literally saving the world or just running a script to handle the guild shop" /shrug

With a "the leader makes up as many guild positions as they want and assigns guild powers to those positions as they want" kind of system, it makes a lot more sense to just appoint people to positions based on what you want their "rank" to be, rather than using an actual favors/rank system. 
    The issues all primarily come back to the election issue. People only care about being able to get to GR3 because in the current system there is no point going higher. If you're active enough to climb above 3 then you're probably going to be a leader soon and any guild favours will be meaningless as you'll be set to the max rank.

From what Thax has said, this ideally shouldn't be an issue as people will return to, roughly, their original rank.

So your rank will be a mark of your service that you can't just skip over, if you earn access to a rank restricted space it's because you actually earned it which should make it more meaningful and we may see more rank rewards (like special spaces) when members aren't spread primarily between ranks 1, 2, 3, and 19.

-------

To @Estarra, I think that having the customisation option would be amazing. though I would also love it if the faction planning clans could have the option to set up the initial names (still paying the cost) just so they can come out like that.
  • VeyilsVeyils Member Posts: 1,209 Mythical
    Sounds pretty good. Any chance of customising the Rank numbers as well?

Like one faction could have 10 ranks, another 20?
  • SaranSaran Member Posts: 1,629 Mythical
    Veyils said:
    Sounds pretty good. Any chance of customising the Rank numbers as well?

Like one faction could have 10 ranks, another 20?
    This would be cool, though on the back end I'd hope it works like xp (i believe the current set up does). Favours/disfavours give/take points away, every rank requires a certain number of points, and a promotion just gives you the points to hit 0% of the next level.

It would mean if your faction increased or decreased the number of ranks everyone would stay roughly the same, the rank might double or halve but it's still basically the same spot.

Might even open up options for fast or slow advancement, reducing or increasing the points needed to get the top rank, and in turn each of the rank requirements would be modified relative to that.

For a player side, the main issue would be that rank rewards might be difficult if things change around like that.
  • BreandrynBreandryn Member Posts: 1,518 Transcendent
    In Aetolia, the GM (and CL) can change rank names as they wish and it helps give org leaders options to further enhance the org's atmosphere and progression. Or, to give everyone fun titles on April Fool's Day. >_>
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me. Member Posts: 1,611 Transcendent
    I'm down for the ability to customize both rank names and number of ranks.