Lusternian Divine AMA

191011121315»

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus His Imperial Altness Outside your window.Member Posts: 7,652 Transcendent
    Now that everyone is done clutching their pearls at my question, let me rephrase.

What's the best way to open a line of communication oocly with a divine that hasn't responded to prayers? Is it considered rude to jump right to emails and ask them, "Hey, what's up? Are you super busy, is there something we've done or haven't done?"
    If I'm not good enough for Lusternia, then it is no longer good enough for me.
  • YehnYehn Member Posts: 282 Master
    (Sorry about the vague bug reports)
    beep
  • CzixiCzixi Member, Gods Posts: 100 Divine
    Shaddus said:
    Now that everyone is done clutching their pearls at my question, let me rephrase.

What's the best way to open a line of communication oocly with a divine that hasn't responded to prayers? Is it considered rude to jump right to emails and ask them, "Hey, what's up? Are you super busy, is there something we've done or haven't done?"
    I would say that it's very unlikely that you are not receiving an answer because you have/have not done something. It is much more likely that one of two things has happened.

1) We've seen the message and then promptly forgotten about it, because we too are human. Especially with things like the phone app and email notifications, it's easy to look at them when you're not IG and then forget about them when you're back at your computer several hours later.

2) We're unable to answer at the moment, or are having trouble doing so. We have a lot of people in Havens who are involved in education, or have children, so this time of year is very busy for them. People might be on holiday, or have other reasons that you can't see for not responding to you. It could be that we really want to answer you, but are on a totally different timezone/schedule to you so are just struggling to find you.

In terms of what to do about this, it depends what your prayer was about. If you are just opening an invite for roleplay, just pray again periodically - not necessarily as an "I was hoping you could respond to..." but just about other things that have happened, a reminder that the invitation is there.

If your prayer is regarding a patron request or something related to that, I would go to other divine in your org - and if that's not an option, you can issue. None of us would want people to struggle with patron needs just because we're on holiday, and as long as you've given it a reasonable amount of time (I would say at least two weeks or so) then it's okay to do this.

Personally, I would not really encourage you to contact the divine through OOC means (email, forum messages, IG messages) - though I will note that we all have different stances on this. I myself am very unlikely to ever respond to OOC communication from players unless I have initiated it, but I do read those I am sent. Other people are totally happy to use them, and will be fine with you sending them a check-in message. So I would always advise erring on the side of caution and not using OOC communication unless you are absolutely, totally certain that the person doesn't mind.
  • KerithKerith Member Posts: 267 Gifted
    Czixi said: So I would always advise erring on the side of caution and not using OOC communication unless you are absolutely, totally certain that the person doesn't mind.
    How do you know if they're okay with it, without asking them OOCly in the first place? Sorry if that's a dumb question.
  • IanirIanir Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446 Creator
    Xenthos said:
    Isune said:
    Ianir said:

...and flogging yourself with a Cat5-o-nine-tails.
    *counts* Cat-o-seventy-two-tails... very tiny and thin, lots of lashing, much hurting.  B)

Works on the hamsters in the servers anyway...

o:) *flee*
    I am pretty sure the 5 in Cat5 was intentional, is a shame to lose it.  What else are you going to do with Cat5 these days?
    https://i.imgur.com/RZHCtoZ.jpg

That is all.

Kerith said:
    How do you know if they're okay with it, without asking them OOCly in the first place? Sorry if that's a dumb question.
    That's a fair question, and a difficult one to answer. My advice is to err on the side of caution. Gods do accept OOC communication for OOC duties - a lot of patron stuff requires it. Generally, unless you're a CL or GL, they'll approach you.

The major exceptions to this are myself and Estarra, who often require dealing with OOC responsibilities, and you are free to message us if you have an OOC concern (though generally I recommend using ISSUE ME instead, but for smaller questions, I do try to keep an open ear). Others up here generally want to initiate it first, and as Czixi said, even if they read it, very often won't respond unless they have to. Everybody is different though.
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • CzixiCzixi Member, Gods Posts: 100 Divine
    edited September 7
    It's a perfectly valid question - but the answer is that you don't know, unless we've made a statement about it on the forums, and that's exactly why I advise against doing it generally.
  • DrocillaDrocilla Member, Gods Posts: 433 Divine
    re: prayers from outside the org, always happy to see them, always read them but if they require any response on my part, the requests, unfortunately, go to the bottom of my to-do interactions list because of priorities: order, city, and only then outsiders.  
  • AeldraAeldra Member Posts: 973 Mythical
    Thanks for the answers :)

Curious about another thing, if you could change one thing about your god or the org they're associated with, what would that  be and why? (talking things like ideology, history, lore )
    Avatar / Picture done by Xeii. Wheeeeee