Guild Overhaul Preview 3: New Org Ministries -or- I couldn't make this one amusing

IanirIanir Administrator, Moderator Posts: 450 Creator
Hi everybody,

Today, I would like to go over the new ministry changes to cities and communes. Now, this preview is taking a bit of a turn from the previous previews because ministries are so bloody dull, but I figured you all would appreciate an update anyway.

So, let's start off with what we're getting rid of. This is the most blatant one, as we are removing the position of Ambassador. This position has always been a bit of a weird one; it contains both the newbie handling powers and the enemy status powers that are important to the organisation, while being entirely inept at both (e.g. has no collegium influence to help newbies out or no tools to actually assist newbies, and has no ability to manage statuses despite being the only way to see a diplomacy summary). As well, because of the name, it was also encouraged to act politically despite having zero power to do so and often being hindered by their own organisations.

In this vein, we have split this into two separate ministries: the Ministry of Education, and the Ministry of Security. Both of these have -massively- had their powers expanded, and several guild powers have been moved into them. So, rather than trying to bundle them up, let's go into each of them, starting with the Ministry of Education.

The Ministry of Education has been set up to be the end-all-be-all of helping the organisation's novices. Collegium powers have been moved from the guild to this ministry, and the minister will act as the chancellor while the aides act as professors. 

The following is available to all collegium professors/ministry aides:
- Can view the collegium status, score, skills, inventory, and rift of any student in the collegium or any org member below level 30. (The score, skills, inventory, and rift commands still work for guild as normal).
- Can speak on CGTS.
- Show up in CGWHO as a Professor.
- Can edit CGHELP files.

The following is available to the Minister of Education/Collegium Chancellor:
- All aide privileges.
- The ability to withdraw funds from the ministry account for the purpose of outfitting novices and engagement thereof.

The Ministry of Security has been set up to replace the Security/Champion structure guilds have had. This ministry has wide-reaching consequences to it, but we wished to ensure it had enough flexibility that orgs could decide how to use it themselves.

The following is available to all aides to the Ministry of Security:
- Ability to BRAND individuals as an enemy or ally of your organisation.
- Ability to use all relevant Diplomacy commands to your organisation, including DIPLOMACY SUMMARY.
- Ability to manage guards of all types. This may change in the future, as further refactoring to guards is required at this time.
- Ability to use all nexus discretionaries regardless of class.

The following is available to the Minister of Security:
- All aide privileges.
- The ability to withdraw funds from the ministry account for the purpose of maintaining defensive constructs (e.g. statues, monoliths, et cetera).

Join us next time when we talk about whatever I actually code next. Hopefully I'll have some jokes then too.
Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
Post edited by Ianir on

Comments

• DrauzgotDrauzgot Member Posts: 47 Capable
    I think these changes are really, really great; one of the big irritations I've noticed in the past is the having to wait for security of some type to show up to Deal With Things (i.e. raising discretionaries and guards), so having it be one ministry that you can aide anyone to is a great idea. Then it's more likely people will be around to handle those things.

I also love the little nubs. Come to my orgs, little nubs, and let me teach you the ways of whatever people exist in said orgs.
  • BreandrynBreandryn Member Posts: 1,521 Transcendent
    Will the guild ledger commands be available for the education aides? Stuff like teleporting to the novice is really helpful.
  • IanirIanir Administrator, Moderator Posts: 450 Creator
    Breandryn said:
    Will the guild ledger commands be available for the education aides? Stuff like teleporting to the novice is really helpful.
    Huh, guess what I forgot! Will code that in today. Thanks!
  • VeyilsVeyils Member Posts: 1,442 Mythical
    Same for champion powers like rescue and such?
    Veyils said:
    Rescue is tentatively being removed from any positions due to lack of use. We can reexamine this at a later time.

Can you be more specific regarding the 'and such' bit?
  • BreandrynBreandryn Member Posts: 1,521 Transcendent
    Also CGT help scroll editing will need to be included. That is a GA only priv atm. CL can't even edit those.
    Breandryn said:
    Also CGT help scroll editing will need to be included. That is a GA only priv atm. CL can't even edit those.
    Forgot to include that in the list of aide privileges. Sorry!
  • FylerFyler Member Posts: 598 Mythical
    Ianir said:
    Veyils said:
    Rescue is tentatively being removed from any positions due to lack of use. We can reexamine this at a later time.

Can you be more specific regarding the 'and such' bit?
    Champions also get perks for being Champion. Like bard bracers give them a damage buff and longer song times, melders get staff damage buff and half meld equilibrium, guardians and wiccans get their pets. 
    Known Aliases: Celina/Cyndarin/Fire Jesus/The Night/That Bitch who griefed us
    Fyler said:
    Champions also get perks for being Champion. Like bard bracers give them a damage buff and longer song times, melders get staff damage buff and half meld equilibrium, guardians and wiccans get their pets. 
    Champion artifacts are being removed for the time being - they're heavily tied to guilds and what happens to the existing objects will be determined by each organisation's patrons. As for replacements for them, as the champion position itself is being retired and the Security Ministry has one minister and is class-agnostic, we don't really have a good way to fill that niche whatsoever. As well, other than the melder equilibrium and the pets which tended to be extremely powerful, champion artifacts tended to be fairly underwhelming.

This may be something we can analyse at a later date, but for now, it's simpler design-wise to remove them and at this time we feel it will have no major impact on the game itself.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me. Member Posts: 1,611 Transcendent
    That's fine, discretionaries are most important. 

Can we add the no karma loss on murder to the security position though, that was the best part.
  • ShaddusShaddus His Imperial Altness Outside your window.Member Posts: 7,652 Transcendent
    Learn to hunt and replace your karma like everyone else
    If I'm not good enough for Lusternia, then it is no longer good enough for me.
    Shuyin said:
    Can we add the no karma loss on murder to the security position though, that was the best part.
    You know, I've been confused for the last half hour trying to figure out why I wasn't seeing karma loss at all, and I realised I accidentally removed it while stripping old stuff out. Thanks for reminding me to put karma loss back in. Yeah, making it not happen for minister and aides is easy enough.
    Shaddus said:
    Learn to hunt and replace your karma like everyone else
    That's pleb work.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne Member Posts: 2,674 Transcendent
    edited February 24
    Ianir said:
    Fyler said:
    Champion artifacts are being removed for the time being - they're heavily tied to guilds and what happens to the existing objects will be determined by each organisation's patrons. As for replacements for them, as the champion position itself is being retired and the Security Ministry has one minister and is class-agnostic, we don't really have a good way to fill that niche whatsoever. As well, other than the melder equilibrium and the pets which tended to be extremely powerful, champion artifacts tended to be fairly underwhelming.

This may be something we can analyse at a later date, but for now, it's simpler design-wise to remove them and at this time we feel it will have no major impact on the game itself.
    Would there be any plans to compensate the loss of GC artifacts? While some are a huge leg-up on other classes (i.e. wiccan and guardian gc arties), some are just purely QoL, such as the melder artie reducing the equilibrium cost to meld.

What I mean is, I think every melder should have this fast meld-time if we remove this effect, or something in between normal meld bal and gc meld bal. Same for bard song length. Can scrap the damage boosts. Mainly I'm just lobbying for melders (obviously) but even just taking off my Pendant and doing regular-joe meld...it's just not okay.

edit: for those that like numbers, regular meld is ~4 seconds eq, and gc artie meld is ~2 seconds eq.

Yeah, no thanks. Everyone is now plebby.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens. Member Posts: 3,730 Transcendent
    Would rather everyone be on the same basic foot and accept GC arty bonuses as outliers we can be rid of.

WTB no karma loss for MoD members tho  (yes I called it the ministry of defence, security sounds weird.)

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

edited February 24
    It wouldn't be an outlier/ would be same basic foot if everyone got to be buffed :|

Shuck for everyone.

No.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

edited February 24
    Okay, did I mention anything about Shuck? I'm talking about eq to meld and bard song timer. I even said that the guardian/wiccan gc arties were over the top.

• FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon Member Posts: 1,648 Transcendent
    GCs being able to meld in half the time as anyone else is an outlier.
    edited February 24
    But it wouldn't be an outlier if everyone got to meld in that same time (it'd even be better if everyone just got 3s). 4 seconds is very unenjoyable. Am I not being clear in what I'm asking for here?

• FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon Member Posts: 1,648 Transcendent
    I've survived just fine with 4s equilibrium melding in all of my time as a melder.
    Maligorn said:
    Okay, did I mention anything about Shuck? I'm talking about eq to meld and bard song timer. I even said that the guardian/wiccan gc arties were over the top.
    So it's not a case of giving everyone their archtype's GC bonus but slipping in a mage/bard buff that isn't necessary.

edited February 24
    It's not even a huge buff! And GCs can do it already, so there's precedent. It's making the class more playable.

Hell, bard songs shouldn't even have a timer. How is that supposed to be a balancing factor?

edit: I understand that the timer is what all the effects are based off of re: the last digit in the timer determines when each group of song effects hits (i.e. at 36 seconds, group1 hits, 33 seconds, group2 hits, and 30 seconds, group3 hits and repeat) but the timer shouldn't actually run out.

I'm just going to say that the classes aren't designed around the decreased meld timer or increased song damage. If you feel your class is so unbalanced as it is without an outlier effect, speak to your envoy about a classwide buff across the board. It's more likely to get considered anyway without outliers such as the GC artefacts.