Promo Discussion From Tweets

This discussion was created from comments split from: Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine.

Comments

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    edited March 2017
     Gloing to sleep and waking up to the same people spinning hundreds of coins isn't fun. It seems as if a day per crate (or two pet day) rule had been implemented like so many of us asked for, this wouldn't be as much of an issue. Now the numbers crunch is going to do nothing to not benefit those who didn't have the willpower to not spin hundreds of crates worth.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • To be fair, compared to when the promotion first came out, the current iteration is fairly benign already. Comparatively, that is. Making an even turnover (with a very slight profit) is fine, I think. Basically, you want the promotion to not shortchange the buyer, or no one will buy. But the profit can't be so big that people can multiply their stash in a handful of spins. If they have to take thousands of spins to make a noticeable profit, then, well, I guess those are the big spenders, hurrah to them.

I think the root problem here is that the wheel gives rewards that can ultimately be turned back into credits... that can then be turned into more spins, ad infinitum. And each time you convert and re-spin, you end up with a small, borderline profit again and again. At the end of the day, the spins that go into non-credits-convertible rewards (dingbat arties, dolls etc) will reduce your credit amount until you're unable to spin at all, but if your starting capital was big enough, you'll have spun enough times before this happens that you would have made a huge profit.

Of course, you could also get lucky and in fact continue to get big credit-convertible rewards (like ultimate presents), in which case you could spin without limits. That said, to get enough ultimate presents to make such a scenario happen (unless you're really really really lucky) you'll actually need thousands of spins. The conversion rate of coins into presents is roughly 3%, based off the testing done previously, so 3% of spins turn into presents. And, as you know, there's less than 1% per present of getting an ultimate present. Of course, the more you open, ultimate present chances go up, but someone's crunched numbers before, and I'm pretty sure you need to have at least 25 presents (or something) in your presents counter before the ultimate chance starts rising from the less than 1% chance. And that's at least 750 to 800 coins you need, which is 6000 credits cost. To spin so much that your ultimate presents start to sustain your spinning indefinitely, you'll need... many thousands of spins.

But well, I guess the very fact that such is possible is a problem from the admin's perspective.

(Disclaimer: I haven't bought any crates or done any spinning at all for this promotion.)

• So, does anyone know if is it worth buying credits for a single crate with the new changes? Do you get at least that $70 worth of value out of it?

It's changing so often I can't tell anymore.
  • Elryn said:
    So, does anyone know if is it worth buying credits for a single crate with the new changes? Do you get at least that $70 worth of value out of it?

It's changing so often I can't tell anymore.
    Before, it was a gamble in smaller numbers and breaking even in larger numbers. Discs bonuses and 500cr bonus did help a lot in small numbers of coins if you were close to a bonus.

Now, I would think it is even more of a gamble if the milestones have increased.
  • The butthurt side of me knows deep down that the people who have been unfing the wheel knew what they were doing. The more pressing question for me is why the Godmin didn't know what -they- were doing when it was released. And the deafening silence on the thread I started is starting to sting, I ain't gon front. 
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Ciaran said:
     Just gotta have no qualms with taking advantage of this exploit.

I flip the bird at this statement in particular.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    If you were spinning 100 coins and getting back 200 coins worth of credits every time, I could see people getting mad at others exploiting the Wheel. You don't. A majority of the time if you traded in everything you gained including goop to artifacts and then artifacts to credits, you'd get just enough to re-buy the crates you had plus gaining favors/crits/pet curio packs. It was mostly the discs from the milestones and especially the 500 credit milestone that put you further ahead.  Occasionally you'd get rare artifacts from the Wheel or presents and that would put you further ahead as well, but that was less common than one might expect. Also, there's now a glut of goop in the market. 

Things that would fix this:

1. What Ianir has already done, not allowing goop items to be traded in for credits. This, along with stretching out the milestones, will really help.

2. Giving us more items to trade goop in for. We're bored, admin. Give us a reason to trade in our goop for items we actually want to keep

3. Allow us to buy items for people with goop, so long as that person is in the realm. If I can spend 800 goop to buy a newbie or a poor friend an artifact vial, I think that's goop well spent. Forcing it to require the target to be in the realm will prevent alt abuse.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon
    edited March 2017
    Shaddus said:
    If you were spinning 100 coins and getting back 200 coins worth of credits every time, I could see people getting mad at others exploiting the Wheel. You don't. A majority of the time if you traded in everything you gained including goop to artifacts and then artifacts to credits, you'd get just enough to re-buy the crates you had plus gaining favors/crits/pet curio packs. It was mostly the discs from the milestones and especially the 500 credit milestone that put you further ahead.  Occasionally you'd get rare artifacts from the Wheel or presents and that would put you further ahead as well, but that was less common than one might expect. Also, there's now a glut of goop in the market. 

Actually, just before this latest nerf I was actually losing about 5-10% in pure credits after everything was traded in, including goop. I still got a few other things so it still made it "worth" it but it had actually stopped being an infinite cycling thing for me in the long run. I was just able to keep going because I had a huge base to begin with from before the nerfs. The way I saw the milestones was that every 500 spins you got 896 credits guaranteed, so I averaged it out to be 1.792 credits per spin when looking at what value I got back.

Things that would fix this:

1. What Ianir has already done, not allowing goop items to be traded in for credits. This, along with stretching out the milestones, will really help.

The goop thing is a good change, though I wonder if it will have an effect on the perceived value of future promotions. I am not sure changing the milestone was a good idea, because ideally people would see value in dropping 200 credits into a crate. I don't know how much this got nerfed, but the value was already more or less almost exactly 200 credits (plus other things that cannot be easily valued like favours/crits/etc) in the long run. This nerf pushes the overall value down.

2. Giving us more items to trade goop in for. We're bored, admin. Give us a reason to trade in our goop for items we actually want to keep

So I told Estarra this when she talked to us, but people just don't want to pay promotional currency for consumable effects. They just become things to be used by the min-maxers when it is time to go into tryhard mode such as during Ascension events.

3. Allow us to buy items for people with goop, so long as that person is in the realm. If I can spend 800 goop to buy a newbie or a poor friend an artifact vial, I think that's goop well spent. Forcing it to require the target to be in the realm will prevent alt abuse.

This is actually already possible with the new ashop. Even before the ashop it was possible by just giving the person the goop. It's just nicer being able to gift it directly.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Goop consumable items are never going to be part of a broader economy because even now, the number of people who generate enough passive goop to waste it on temporary benefits is rather low and the number of people who can make the items is astoundingly high.

There's very little demand and HUGE supply, so it's never going to make economic sense to try and make a profit on them. 
  • The cost of consumable goop items is to high for it to be worth the effort or sustainable, not to mention the effects are pretty mediocre for the cost. Lower goop consumables considerably in cost to make and -maybe- you will see people using goop to make them.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    edited March 2017
    A company isn't selling you something in a competitive environment where abusing their error puts you ahead of the competition who cannot respond in kind.

Someone getting cheap food at Wal-Mart doesn't affect you. Someone getting a ton of premium currency in a game for free where it gives them advantages does.

Your metaphor was worse.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• edited March 2017
    Yes, I can see how comparing buying products to buying products is so much worse of a comparison than....murder apparently. If your (new) argument is it's only an unfair practice because it's a competitive environment, your original post didn't argue that at all. In fact, it argued the practice on its own was unfair. So imma react this way:

You're being bitter. Your nonsense proves it. Get over it and move on.
    Known Aliases: Celina/Cyndarin/Fire Jesus/The Night/That Bitch who griefed us
    Cute gifs doesn't give your point credibility when it's lacking in your argument.

The point in the stabbing analogy is you do a bad thing, you point out you are capable of doing a bad thing and you're aware it's a bad thing, you still continue to do the bad thing.

The competitive argument was against your walmart nonsense, them getting a deal doesn't affect you. It does in this game.

That you're misrepresenting the argument and going with the "YOU'RE JUST BITTER" ad hominem just proves your lack of any real point. Go troll somewhere else.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• I'll go troll and you can go whine elsewhere. It'll be great. Everyone will be happy.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    edited March 2017
    I agree with Celina, it's not a malfunctioning ATM rofl, stop using that.

P.S. if you needed further proof that this isn't e-murder, an exploit, or e-stabbing, why isn't Falmiis, etc. etc. shrubbed? Surely justice must be had if you abuse bugs?
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I mean, I wouldn't shrub this year's winner of Lusternia either.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited March 2017
    Yeah. I mean, there certainly are folks to be mad at over this promotion. If you're mad at other players for participating in a promo how it was intended to work, see the above posts. 
    Where's this discussion about wanting punishments coming from? The whole point isn't that some people got a chance to get rich and others didn't, it's not even "if you could, you would too."

It's this bollocks attitude that you can do it and find a reason to justify why when you know it's clearly the wrong thing to do. Sure milk it for all it's worth, but don't try saying "it's ok, I told them this is wrong so me doing it is fine" or that you're somehow doing us a favour by making sure only a few people gained from it rather than a wider number.

Just own it, you saw a chance to get ridiculously rich quick and you took it. Don't try to act like your farts don't stink.

• Fyler said:
    Karlach said:
    Late but it you find an exploit and go "Hey guys, this isn't working as it should" and continue to do it, you're still abusing an exploit.

If you stab someone and ring the police going "Hey I killed a guy" then continue to stab people to death you're still committing murder.

If anything you're admitting you know it's wrong, and still continue to do it till it's fixed, which is why people hold umbridge with those who utterly abused the promotion till the first rounds of fixes came in.
    No. Shitty metaphor. If you purchase a product at the price the company sets, and the company changes that price, you and the company participated in capitalism. Even if the company is giving shit away. They're mad because they didn't get to participate. Unless you want to go scream at wal-mart on double coupon Fridays and the old ladies who walk out with $200 in groceries for $1.09, get over yourselves. I'm assuming most of you don't, because that would make you a terrible person. You're just doing it here because it's the internet so it's easier, and there's always been a degree of entitlement because the powers that be listen to you here where as Wal-Mart does not care.
    Dam how did you guess what I did on my fridays?
  • edited March 2017
    Karlach said:
    Where's this discussion about wanting punishments coming from? The whole point isn't that some people got a chance to get rich and others didn't, it's not even "if you could, you would too."

It's this bollocks attitude that you can do it and find a reason to justify why when you know it's clearly the wrong thing to do. Sure milk it for all it's worth, but don't try saying "it's ok, I told them this is wrong so me doing it is fine" or that you're somehow doing us a favour by making sure only a few people gained from it rather than a wider number.

Just own it, you saw a chance to get ridiculously rich quick and you took it. Don't try to act like your farts don't stink.
    Honey, I owned it a long time ago. I just don't give a flip about your weird ass moral compass that says I can't/shouldn't participate in a free market if it gives me an advantage. That's what the free market is about, love it or hate it. Some people get the deal, the advantage, the cheaper price. Some people don't. No one stinks for it except the people whining they aren't the winners.
  • Karlach said:

You're calling this an exploit and comparing this to murder. I don't agree at all, and if you're being hyperbolic I don't think it serves your argument well.

There is no crime involved here. There is no bug involved.

And the responsibility for this only rests with the admins and should only rest with the admins. Anything else is too messy, too vague and too prone to subjectivity.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Especially when it's not the first time a monthly promo has gone wrong.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
This discussion has been closed.