Trigger Warnings in the Library System

Regardless of what you think of PC culture, the fact remains that some people do not wish to stumble unwittingly onto certain content, particularly as it pertains to graphic or emotional depictions of rape and sexual violence. Lusternia is a violent game, but the sexual component is basically null. When it does appear publicly in game lore or game literature, it can be unexpected in the way that run-of-the-mill fantasy violence is not.

I have recently come across a book in-game with a trigger warning written into the text. I'm not a fan of this type of warning from the standpoint of style. It's generally clear from the text of a written work when things are about to take an unpleasant turn, and the reader can decide for themselves to stop reading or go on. Interrupting the text with such a warning breaks multiple levels of immersion, and invites speculation about the author (such as where their personal lines are drawn).

However, not everyone has the same degree of reading comprehension, and there are many people who would prefer to know before they choose to take any figurative road if there's a danger of falling rocks ahead. To that end, I wonder if we shouldn't have some sort of sensitive material tag for library book subjects and bardics, when applicable.

This is not an issue that comes up a lot, but it is an issue that does come up. People write all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons so I think it's worth giving a thought to how we approach such works.

Looking for feedback about what the best way might be.
#NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!

Comments

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    With the system as it currently is, you can sort of do it with search tags. It's kind of a crude method, and it only helps if they do a full LIBRARY INFO, but you could do it as a stopgap method.

As an actual addition to the system, I'd like to have a section to add a back of the book blurb to LIBRARY INFO. Could have warnings, could have general summary. It'd be useful for a lot of reasons, and probably a decent way to do this. Can designate it an officially OOC field is people are worried about immersion.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Portius said:
    With the system as it currently is, you can sort of do it with search tags.
    This is what I had in mind, although I'm at a loss for what a non-spoiler standard tag should look like. It would be nice if there could be some agreed-upon standard, so those who are concerned can easily spot an otherwise unobtrusive warning.

I do like the idea of book jacket-blurbs. I would want them to be IC though, whereas I kind of feel that the sort of tag I'm talking about would be OOC - something that people to whom it does not pertain can feel free to ignore.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • I don't think I've ever encountered this before. Maybe a symbol or shorthand lettering on the first page to represent Trigger warning sounds like a good way to do it. Then again, does Lusternia's lore have trigger warning as part of their IC culture in any of the cities/communes?
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Shaddus said:
    Not to sound cruel or insensitive, but I am absolutely against trigger warnings in in-game books. 
    I don't think anyone will say it's required, or even systematically required, but what harm is it for something to be labeled as such in-game?
  • Jarrul said:
    I don't think I've ever encountered this before. Maybe a symbol or shorthand lettering on the first page to represent Trigger warning sounds like a good way to do it. Then again, does Lusternia's lore have trigger warning as part of their IC culture in any of the cities/communes?
    Not that I can think of, though this doesn't really prevent players from developing it if they wanted to. It already happens really, players have ooc expectations and experiences that they bring in-character for a variety of reasons.

A subject seems like it's maybe the easiest option. If there's an annex available then books that cause concern could be moved there. 

If people have concerns about ooc/ic separation, maybe it could be applied things that might triggering ic as well? I doubt there's anything that's triggering ooc that couldn't be considered so ic as well, but it might make it feel less overt?
  • edited March 2017
    Orventa said:
    Could do it the old fashioned way of Gentle Reader...preface- 'Caution to those faint of heart..' like old carnie barkers?
    If there is a way to do this, what @Orventa said would probably be the best way to do it and the author or the editor could implement it on a case by case basis.

Other than that I wouldn't like to see trigger tags. It's also something that I see could easily fall into censorship. To tell others what they should avoid writing about might also bring many restrictions on both the authors who want to express themselves and the readers who want to learn or experience a very different perspective on things and who want to read the original text no matter how raw it is. Censorship is already an issue that is present and that I've face in this game. It was very irritating, especially since it was because the other person just didn't have the same IG religion.

I'm also thinking that if a trigger is present for someone, it's easy to just stop reading and move on.
  • So, hi everyone! I have a few questions, and as always a point to make. :)

It is my book, my trigger warning. I put it in there because I know some people in this community 'need' trigger warnings. I thought it could do no harm, and when I did edit it in I had no intention of actually publishing the book. I just wanted some feedback before I entered the library scene of Lusternia and felt that I'd start with my first ever written work.

I wasn't expecting the positive feedback I initially got. And decided to publish it. I made the edits asked of me willingly (which thankfully included removing the trigger warning) and it was published. 

Then admin decided to remove it from the shelves, disallowing its publication. After this here post was made. Which history has taught me to expect to be silenced about.

Although this isn't about me or my story, why I wrote it or how I chose this medium to express myself. This is about where the line is. So here we go! 

Admin said, "We don't want sexual violence in our game.".
    I asked various people, "Where can I find all the sexual violence in Lusternia.".

I won't list all the answers I received because some are up for debate and one or two are a quest. You all (majority of us anyway) know what I am talking about.

My questions are :

1) If what I wrote is less explicit than that of some of your lore where is line for adventurers versus admin in regards to explicit content? And does this apply to all sexual content or only that which infers or depicts violence?

2) How and WHY is sexual violence any worse than sacrificing a human (humanoid) infant, or any of the other violent things we do?

3) Why was I as the author not given the courtesy of communication in regards to the removal of my book and its prohibition from ever being published? Did you not think it more tactful and respectful to approach the player that wrote the piece that clearly offends you and give some closure and clarification so that there isn't a another occurrence? (Okay that is a personal question...)

4) Are there any other subject matters you don't want in your game world that we should know about.

I will gladly share the book with anyone who wishes to read it before weighing in on the matter, or just for the drama of it I know how some of you are. Just send me an OOC msg ig. :P 

I am hoping that there will be some very respectful and serious discussion around the boundaries and double standards we are up against here. But I am also anticipating the closure of this thread. 50/50. :) 

Peace out. <3 Ena.
  • Mountains out of molehills.
    Falaeron said:
    Mountains out of molehills.
    I might be misinterpreting who this is directed at, but I'm pretty sure people who have a book that they wrote taken off the shelves would disagree. Especially if there aren't terribly clear content guidelines in advance. Remember that most people put quite a bit of work into them.
  • edited March 2017
    Shaddus said:
    Not to sound cruel or insensitive, but I am absolutely against trigger warnings in in-game books. 
    "Trigger warnings" in-game as a whole should not be something that's done. Ever. At the very least, not the modern definition of the term; that's very much OOC and generally awful.
    Email:        el.ni93@hotmail.com
    Discord:    Rey#1460
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    I'm just reminded of something from HELP TRADEMASTERS, which in no way is a guideline for the whole game, but...

10) There are children in Lusternia. Keep your designs tasteful. It is
    possible to be sexy and tasteful, without being disgusting.
  • Selenity said:
    Stories are a bit different! Though, I also don't know the content of Ena's book that was removed. But, well. Look at Sacrifice. That is far from pleasant-looking. Few of the instakills in Lusternia are.
    Reylari said:
    Selenity said:
    Stories are a bit different! Though, I also don't know the content of Ena's book that was removed. But, well. Look at Sacrifice. That is far from pleasant-looking. Few of the instakills in Lusternia are.

Also, Ezekial's Sorrow won bardics a couple years ago. I think that puts "tasteful" into serious question as a meaningful standard.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited March 2017
    i'Xiia Asylum exists. It's 100% not for children. Just go in their and look at the longdesc of all the rooms, seriously. Even I get a bit queasy when I look at warrior instas (skewer and execute in particular).

However, look. Lusternia as a game, OOC, could get in a lot of trouble for allowing the book to be published. I don't really blame them for covering their own hides from social justice warriors and potential lawsuits, mainly because I like this game and want it to stay. Similarly, my understanding is that followers of Nifilhema are completely chaste.

• I think before making judgement on the the content you should probably read it. It is quite tame I assure you...well, in my eyes. (I don't think there is even any profanity, which is super rare for me!)

But to reiterate my post is only to gain clarification on where the line is drawn between adventurer and lore. If I could have my questions answered that would be fabulous and help to decide if as players we publish works that touch on those subjects. :)

Also I am not looking to have the book published again. Admin are very clear that my story isn't one to be told. No matter how censored or altered it might be. That is fine. It's not the first time in this world I've been told to keep quiet.  :D 

At the end of the day it isn't even about -my- book, it is just a relevant example for the topic of discussion. 
  • When I was a Nihilist, some students would often present ideas, descriptions and things about Nifilhema faith. Sometimes it would be bloody and kind of sexualized. If they were able to explain how it related to her flawlessly then I'd advance them (or approve when they were just really proud and showing it off). That's because there are other bits of lore that her presence adds to the game along her other tenets and I couldn't say 'You're wrong!' when I could see it too.
  • Maybe the admin in charge of designs just happened to miss the vibrating underwear when they were doing the review. There must be more than 50 different designs pouring in a week in this game with how much you can customize.
  • There's a lot of inexplicable stuff that gets approved around here
  • If you find a design that shouldn't have been approved, it would be best to report them to the Charites. Rather than imply the Admin did a poor job when reviewing them. Things get overlooked as Jarrul said.
  • Reylari said:
    If you find a design that shouldn't have been approved, it would be best to report them to the Charites. Rather than imply the Admin did a poor job when reviewing them. Things get overlooked as Jarrul said.

True but a more clear cut help file would be nice for everyone to have anyway.
  • edited March 2017
    Veyils said:
    True but a more clear cut help file would be nice for everyone to have anyway.
    HELP TRADEMASTER.

Can't get much more clear than that. Vibrators definitely violate the rule that was already posted above. Just because things slip by, doesn't mean those things are actually allowed. If you suspect something shouldn't exist, message the Charites, or ISSUE ME and explain.

Similarly with books. If you think something shouldn't be published then you should follow the same method as above, rather than gripe about how it got approved and not actually bringing it to the attention of the right people.
  • edited March 2017
    Reylari said:
    Selenity said:

Like whats the line though? The only guidelines are its ok to be sexy but not disgusting.

EDIT: I just mean its a super vague guide line. I mean to me someones crafted vibrating dildo panties which is a bit weird but not disgusting, I've personally no problem with them in the game but I kind of feel the same way about the Chasity belt. But ones ok and one isn't? Or are both not ok? 

That's what I'm asking I'm not sure what is and what isnt ok from the current guide lines. I get what you mean by saying just report them but if your just reporting everything thats kinda "sexy" then thats like 90% of tailoring underwear.
  • edited March 2017
    Veyils said:
    Like whats the line though? The only guidelines are its ok to be sexy but not disgusting.
    Fairly confident in saying that for the sake of staying 'appropriate' the Admin would much rather not list -everything- that isn't allowed to be made. Common sense is generally the thing one uses; if you think sex toys--or anything really that follows that line of thinking-- belongs in Lusternia, you should probably reevaluate.

If that helpfile isn't clear to you, then you either didn't read it properly, or you're just wanting to argue for the sake of arguing. Neither are really productive. To reiterate: If you have a problem with an item listed, then take it up with the Charites. Things. Do. Slip. By. Sometimes.

Edit since you edited: Dildo panties are not 'sexy' they're vulgar, and thus fall under the 'disgusting' category. If Lusternia was adult-themed, things would be different. Which is also why the chastity belt was turned down. It is a sexually-oriented garment. (Horror does not fall under the general definition of 'adult' by the way.)
  • Reylari said:
    Veyils said:
    Fairly confident in saying that for the sake of staying 'appropriate' the Admin would much rather not list -everything- that isn't allowed to be made. Common sense is generally the thing one uses; if you think sex toys--or anything really that follows that line of thinking-- belongs in Lusternia, you should probably reevaluate.

If that helpfile isn't clear to you, then you either didn't read it properly, or you're just wanting to argue for the sake of arguing. Neither are really productive. To reiterate: If you have a problem with an item listed, then take it up with the Charites. Things. Do. Slip. By. Sometimes.

Edit since you edited: Dildo panties are not 'sexy' they're vulgar, and thus fall under the 'disgusting' category. If Lusternia was adult-themed, things would be different. Which is also why the chastity belt was turned down. It is a sexually-oriented garment. (Horror does not fall under the general definition of 'adult' by the way.)

Ok so its basically anything with adult connotations at all is the line?  No sex or anything to do with it should be in the game from what I'm getting of your description of it? 
  • edited March 2017

This seems more than mildly subjective as a whole. What you consider vulgar may not be to someone else, hence the desire for a little more defined line.
This discussion has been closed.