Trigger Warnings in the Library System

2»

Comments

• edited March 2017
    Veyils said:
    Ok so its basically anything with adult connotations at all is the line?  No sex or anything to do with it should be in the game from what I'm getting of your description of it? 
    Mudsex and anything related to it is not advocated by Admin if that's what you're getting at, yes. What you do in private with someone else is your business, though. Sexy lingerie or dresses, for example, does not automatically mean it's gonna be sex-related, thus it's permitted. Reylari's chemise is a solid example of that...
    ...Dildos and chastity belts, on the other hand, are solely sex-related (dildos for use in it, the belts to prevent/discourage it). Thus not permitted. If you can't understand that line, you're either dense or trolling. Either way, again, is not productive.
    Email:        el.ni93@hotmail.com
    Discord:    Rey#1460
  • I leave for one night and come back to discussion of dildo panties?

The deep, rumbling voice of Weiwae says from within your heart, "I am so happy to hear of your progress, and I thank you for bringing my influence over more shards of My Brother Tae."
  • Honestly I wasn't even thinking chastity belts were a sex thing at all. I figured it was just someone trying to be medieval. 
  • Veyils said:
    Honestly I wasn't even thinking chastity belts were a sex thing at all. I figured it was just someone trying to be medieval. 
    You... Do realise that's what they were used for in medieval times, yes?
    A chastity belt is a locking item of clothing designed to prevent sexual intercourse or masturbation. Such belts were historically designed for women, ostensibly for the purpose of chastity, to protect women from rape or to dissuade women and their potential sexual partners from sexual temptation.
    Email:        el.ni93@hotmail.com
    Discord:    Rey#1460
  • Dildos and chastity belts aside: I, personally, think it would be fine to put something like $ before titles that are submitted in the future to mark them as works that may have material that might set off readers OOCly. Not really suggesting that we go back and review every book since some libraries (Hallifax) are at least double the size of others and this would be a massive time investment for our admin.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited March 2017
    There is little cost in terms of effort and even less harm in including content warnings just as we ostensibly already tag the more benign content of lusternian writing (though that system overall is clunky, yes?). This is not some foreign unlusternian principle, in or out of character. 
  • edited March 2017
    Saying something is sexy but not sex related is a bit of an oxymoron. Here's the thing, you're arguing that there is a clear line but there isn't. You can't say that a chastity belt is solely sex-intended but a bejeweled, mesh thong isn't.

My character goes commando because I see no purpose to underwear unless someone is going to see him in his skivvies. I don't intend to get into that situation so why would I bother with it?(Besides, everyone knows a real Dworf goes Clangorum.)

Edit: For the record, I am not attempting to troll. As someone who enjoys writing more comical stuff IC and OOC I want to be sure my work isn't going to get pulled for a vague, subjective guideline.
    edited March 2017
    It seems like it would be a great idea to work on community guidelines is for handling material that falls within the rules but might be sensitive regardless. That way, producers of player content have tools that are broadly understood but are unobtrusive to flag their own content if they want, or disengage with other peoples content in a healthy way. 

Like... I played an alt once (in another ire) whose early arc was modeled on my experience interacting irl with manifestations of ptsd, both subtle and spectacularly acute and frenetic. I would contact people ooc and warn them that the first arc was about having been enslaved and abused and would chill if they were uneasy and the episodes would happen "off screen" and be obliquely referenced instead, as the character worked to resolve the trauma and ultimstly cast away all their triggers, including their previous life and even race. You can certainly do mature storylines, and it does not hurt your ability tkt do that if you're checking in with the other players you are involving in them.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Enyalida said:
    There is little cost in terms of effort and even less harm in including content warnings just as we ostensibly already tag the more benign content of lusternian writing (though that system overall is clunky, yes?). This is not some foreign unlusternian principle, in or out of character. 

Tags are something of a pain to set up, and I don't think (not positive) that they're shared across libraries. So you could use them for it, but it'd be hugely inconvenient.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Eh, I think the admin are being vague in their rules for a reason: they don't want to have to go to the trouble of clarifying things. Keeping things vague is a good way to fly under the radar, and therefore create a lot of leeway for both their users, and themselves, to wiggle out of uncomfortable situations.

However, what you feel may be vulgar is definitely subjective. A chastity belt is a device to prevent a specific action yes. And that, to some people is definitely not vulgar - it's to prevent it, not to encourage it. If you think anything even remotely associated with a certain action means it is "vulgar", and more importantly, if you think everyone should conform to your definitions of what is vulgar and what is not, then you're either dense or trolling.

Common sense is a oft-quoted defense that is simply not valid, simply because of the wide diversity of players we have here. Arguably, Lusternia is a game founded on that concept. It's not an alien concept to understand that some people do not have the same list of "vulgar" things as you do.

That is, by the way, probably one of the leading reasons why the admin don't want to make things so clear-cut. If you took a consensus amongst the admin and volunteer admin right now, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a division of opinion on what constitutes "vulgar", and what constitutes acceptable creativity. Unless, and until, Estarra is willing to make the executive decision to impose her own lines of thinking on the game, we're unlikely to see black-and-white rules listing what can, and what cannot, be accepted.

Everything is on a case-by-case basis. If you come across something that offends your sensibilities, you can petition the admin to remove it with the caveat that they do not have to agree with you. For example, if you started reporting every single chastity belt in the game right now, I would be pretty surprised indeed, if they were all pulled.

All of this, however, is a digression from the opening post. Trigger warnings... are entirely different, really, from design guidelines. And I also think that is an important discussion to be had.

Portius said:
    Enyalida said:

Tags are something of a pain to set up, and I don't think (not positive) that they're shared across libraries. So you could use them for it, but it'd be hugely inconvenient.
    Yeah, that was my memory from being a librarian. That system is dumb, but the larger point is that we already classify and tag works so its not impossible to include a "this is complicated and dark/sex/heinous violence related or adjacent (within the rules)" note or convention. Even something on the order of a mildly coded forward as previously noted!
  • D: *puts on grandparent voice* Kids these day....! back in the day, trigger warnings were a laughable concept!
    edited March 2017
    ...So?
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    I've been mulling over this, and I really do feel pretty ambivalent. At this point, I'm kinda shrugging and saying "why not?" at the idea of being able to tag your books as meant for a mature audience, or even artistically writing in a signpost that isn't explicitly a trigger warning.

This discussion has been closed.