Hi again, everybody!
So, in the coming weeks, we're going to be taking a good, hard look at implementing server-side curing. This is going to be a huge project and, as such, we're generally am interested in hearing the player's voices on the matter and gathering ideas about specifics.
First, though, I would like to iterate a few things.
* This is not an update of FirstAid: I intend for this to be a competitive solution that doesn't require equilibrium and a diagnose every usage, and will be tracking afflictions from hidden sources and random sources into account as it exists to ensure it does not feel like it has a godlike overhead view for curing.
* This is not fully intended to replace client-side systems: While I want it to be competitive, it should not be an end-all-be-all; a finely tuned system geared toward the player using it should be able to outcure it, and I am not going to cover every single case that may pop up.
* It should be customisable: With focus as it exists, players should be allowed to set a number of focusable cures if they need it, and even be able to swap these on the fly.
* It should be interactive: Lusternia's combat system is heavily based around hidden afflictions in many places, and while best guesses can be made, the built-in curing will not handle all cases, so we will be providing a way for players to 'predict' what afflictions they have and the system will attempt to focus on those, benefitting the correct and possibly wasting balances of the incorrect.
* It will not be done in a week: This is a large undertaking, and to ensure the game continues to run smoothly, we will likely need to optimise the system - even if it is coded in a week by some miracle, it will likely not be released until we are happy with the performance underneath the hood.
* It will not handle defenses (yet): Lusternia's defense system is, underneath the hood, still covered in cruft. We have plans to look into this, but it will take a lot more time and may even be beyond the scope of this system in general anyway. A few exceptions may be made on a case by case basis for ones that are considered vital (insomnia, truedeaf, trueblind), but no promises.
* Yes, we are coding envoy reports first. Stop asking me every time I reload the code or open my mouth if succumb is fixed.
So, given that, we would like to hear any input you may have. Are there things you want to see in the system? Things you feel should work certain ways? Do you feel we should emulate a standard latency with curing like some other games do? Let us know!
Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.