Factions: The next week and you.

Comments

• LeradLerad Member Posts: 2,396 Transcendent
    Rather than requesting your head on a pike, it'll just lead to unending work for the admin tasked with enforcing it. AFK-ing is not going away, much as we'd like it to - I mean, I personally had the habit of "afk"ing in news instead of in manses in the past, and I can easily go back to doing that, so I won't be one of those who will need enforcing on (unless I make a mistake and forget, which does happen once in a while) but not everyone will do that when they want to afk. Or rather, there will be always someone who won't do that. As a reality, nowadays, ubiquitous access to the internet makes it easier for people to stay online, and I'm not sure if we'll be able to change that.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord Member Posts: 5,736 Transcendent
    Are the org-commands related to cross-org classflexing in the game, yet?  If not, how is that being handled?

Asking because the announce post mentions timing differentials for out-of-org vs. in-org flexing, which makes it seem like it is an option.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning ** Member Posts: 1,652 Transcendent
    edited April 26
    Ianir said:
    Yeah, it's live. I need to add plane to CWHO. No room for it in GWHO so trying to decide what to do there.
    tbh I would just remove the rank names from GWHO. There isn't enough room to see half of them anyways, so it's pretty meh.

Edit: Alternatively, remove the path name. I kind of like seeing the ranks if there's enough room for those of not-ridiculous size, but paths on top of that will just be kind of confusing, I think. The number and rank names should be suitable. And maybe instead of actually printing out the plane on who lists, why not just a symbol if they're off of your current plane? That would suffice for MY needs, but maybe not everyone else's. Just thoughts.
  • IanirIanir Administrator, Moderator Posts: 400 Creator
    Xenthos said:
    Are the org-commands related to cross-org classflexing in the game, yet?  If not, how is that being handled?

Asking because the announce post mentions timing differentials for out-of-org vs. in-org flexing, which makes it seem like it is an option.
    I may have forgotten. I'll look into it some time this week.

Eritheyl said:
    Ianir said:
    Yeah, it's live. I need to add plane to CWHO. No room for it in GWHO so trying to decide what to do there.
    tbh I would just remove the rank names from GWHO. There isn't enough room to see half of them anyways, so it's pretty meh.

Edit: Alternatively, remove the path name. I kind of like seeing the ranks if there's enough room for those of not-ridiculous size, but paths on top of that will just be kind of confusing, I think. The number and rank names should be suitable. And maybe instead of actually printing out the plane on who lists, why not just a symbol if they're off of your current plane? That would suffice for MY needs, but maybe not everyone else's. Just thoughts.
    Not a bad idea. I'll be honest, UI is one of my worst areas, so stuff like that doesn't cross my mind.
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
    I think having the path names in there will be a nice touch - maybe. But perhaps requiring a shortname for each path, so that it can be formated into the GWHO, could be a route to take?

Not sure about rank names - it might be nice to have it there, though.

• ShedrinShedrin Member Posts: 903 Transcendent
    Path names aren't necessary imo. Just extra clutter.
  • SteingrimSteingrim Member Posts: 829 Fabled
    perhaps add in a syntax gwho <person> which gives a sort of guild specific honors of the person. Could also bypass guild bits of laurels.
    You tell Wyrden Ravager Tarken, "Come to Gaudiguch. I'll give you the title of Grand Moth."
    Eyes peering skywards as he thinks, Ironbeard the Magnanimous says to Sksez, "Welll, on my gooD lis *hic* t, we have....Stei *hic* ng *hic* rim.U..Xypherv....Luu *hic* hghaigh *hic* hhe....Breandryn....."
  • AesyraAesyra Member Posts: 89 Capable
    edited April 26
    Ianir said:
    Oh gods, please can we not add the plane you're on to CWHO or any other? Please?
    Or at least block it if you have a gem of cloaking? Having the plane on C/G WHO kind of voids the Gem too. :/

I like sneaking around places where I'm not supposed to be (enemy territory) and I like seeing when someone scries me (which is possible), but if people can spy me now through CWHO I'm powerless. :/
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne Member Posts: 2,639 Transcendent
    Why would your city/communemates have a problem with you being in enemy territory?

Well, I expect it'll just show what "level" you are at, like "Elemental" or "Cosmic", rather than "Elemental Plane of Fire" or something like that. Which would, maybe, be good for newbies to know... maybe?

edited April 26
    Maligorn said:
    Why would your city/communemates have a problem with you being in enemy territory?
    It's more that I don't want everyone to always know when I'm there and I do expect people to have buddies in other orgs and tell them "oh lol x is on your elemental plane again" or something. Besides, I got a gem of cloaking so people didn't immediately know I'm in a specific territory or plane.. :/
    edited April 26
    Lerad said:
    Well, I expect it'll just show what "level" you are at, like "Elemental" or "Cosmic", rather than "Elemental Plane of Fire" or something like that. Which would, maybe, be good for newbies to know... maybe?
    That's already what I don't want. :/ EDIT: Okay, I could live with a general level that doesn't specify what plane it is. Still don't like though. And as noted below, it won't help newbs anyway. So why do we need it to begin with?
     Can't we at least have the gem block it? Because that's what the gem is there for. It already hides you entirely from WHO on a plane. It would make sense to block it there too.

PS: And it won't help a newb in either case. From what Ianir said, a newb only sees as far as his planar skill lets him talk. Which means they won't see me when I'm on astral etc anyway. The info will only be there for more advanced players and they don't really need it.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning ** Member Posts: 1,652 Transcendent
    I'm still all for just having a column for some 'this person is off-plane' symbol, with no further explanation.

C'mooon, it's easy peasy and will be so much prettier than cramming more words into an already jam-packed space :#
  • JaspetJaspet Member Posts: 26 Novice
    Wobou said:
    Jaspet said:
    There is a balance to be struck between flexibility and predictability though, and I think twelve hours is a good fit.

Switching classes is important because it keeps the game fun, but the ability to switch classes too often leads to situations where you have no idea what the opposing line up is going to be before an encounter. There's a tactical advantage before a fight in knowing who the opposing melder is going to be, or knowing how many bards you're likely to face, or what classes they're missing given the current available players. I wouldn't want that dynamic to be replaced by a system where teams are just plugging in missing pieces with classflex and line ups are always 'perfect'.

I think as long as it's not < 1 hour it should be fine. People can now, almost regardless of cooldown, wait until a domoth/village/whatever and then change their class if they need to (e.g. go bard/monk and then switch to mage if there's no melder). So the way I'm looking at is that it's already possible for every member of a team to reroll class once during a conflict event if they've held on to their cooldown. As long as we don't make it so that they can reroll more than once during the same event I don't think we're making a bold impact on balance.
    What if current profession information was added into the official API? I don't know how 'hard' this would be to change, but if we were able to populate that information and not go into fights blind, a lot of my hesitation would go away.
  • TyamitTyamit Member Posts: 71 Capable
    edited April 26
    That's an issue unique to Lusternia, I think. Perhaps it's due to the strength of meld advantage. Achaea has items that reset class cooldown, for instance, and it's not game breaking. My flex cooldown there is only an hour with a 350 credit artifact too. 

I can already main Wyrdenwood and skillflex to Druidry for a small lesson cost and an hour cooldown (skillflex lesson reset on day change) if a melder is needed so I'm not sold on that argument. Can even switch back to chem since it's a 25 lesson change. 

@Jaspet you can always use the forum signature code to check classes as well. 
  • WobouWobou Member Posts: 131 Capable
    Jaspet said:
    What if current profession information was added into the official API? I don't know how 'hard' this would be to change, but if we were able to populate that information and not go into fights blind, a lot of my hesitation would go away.
    I agree. It would be nice to know what class people are without having to develop a complex system that figures it out by what lines they produce. Show it in the API, show it in honours, bypass scroll of laurels or whatever it's called.
  • ArixArix Member Posts: 867 Fabled
    What if people go untitled because they don't WANT you to know what class they are?
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman Member Posts: 4,384 Transcendent
    edited April 26
    I don't think that's ever really been a dominant thing, the surprise class change. I guess possibly for big wargame events?
  • KerithKerith Member Posts: 266 Gifted
    edited April 27
    Just want to voice my support for the idea of having some form of notation about who's on the same plane and who's not. Doesn't have to be more specific than that, but it would help newbies understand that their nexus is empty only because 90% of their citymates are on other planes, without being overly complicated in terms of UI or making anyone feel spied on (which I personally don't understand but that's irrelevant).

EDIT: It would also help with some other situations. For example, if there's a raid on Ethereal, and I want to know if my orgmates have come to help, CW is an easy way to check. Yes, I could scent, but not everyone can, and it takes balance, so CW is handy. But if I see everyone, I don't know whether they're actually here or still on Prime etc.
  • TyamitTyamit Member Posts: 71 Capable
    My hero : > )
  • ElironEliron Member Posts: 150 Gifted
    edited April 30
    ANNOUNCE NEWS #2729
    Date: 4/30/2017 at 5:52
    To  : Everyone
    Subj: Factions are fully live!

First off, yes, thank you to the admin who have put so much time into this release and sorting bugs and trying to make everything new going forward as awesome as the old guilds were. It's really appreciated.

Elections will be opened for all guilds to GR1 members at Midnight GMT on May 1.
    This, however, is very disappointing as someone in an org whose new guilds were released less than 24 hours ago. Giving people a week to adapt to the new guilds gave them time to explore the various aspects of the new guilds; discuss them ICly with players and OOCly with players who haven't been a part of the development process to build a sense of how each guild was going to go forward; and  get to know how the various guilds were going to balance out among players for those who felt equally drawn to two different guilds and so were considering joining the one that looks like it's going to need more people who bolster its leadership/mythos building/combat pool/etc. It gave people time to consider if they wanted to take on what will be a major and defining leadership role in that guild. I was very excited to hear that the admin understood the players need to have a little bit of footing in the guilds before opening elections and moving forward.

Instead, because our guilds were released late, we don't get that opportunity and are left scrambling. It puts additional pressure on orgs with a later release.

Edited for typos.

Post edited by Eliron on
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord Member Posts: 5,736 Transcendent
    ANNOUNCE NEWS #2730
    Date: 4/30/2017 at 17:38
    Subj: Faction election timeline correction

Hi everybody,

The point at which elections will be enabled for the new guilds has been
    extended to Midnight GMT on May 5. I will not be making exceptions at
    this time for any org.

Regards,
    Ianir the Anomaly.

Penned by My hand on the 2nd of Shanthin, in the year 472 CE.

Xenthos said:
    ANNOUNCE NEWS #2730
    Date: 4/30/2017 at 17:38
    Subj: Faction election timeline correction

Hi everybody,

The point at which elections will be enabled for the new guilds has been
    extended to Midnight GMT on May 5. I will not be making exceptions at
    this time for any org.

Regards,
    Ianir the Anomaly.

Penned by My hand on the 2nd of Shanthin, in the year 472 CE.

<3 @Ianir

I'm sure other factors went into the extension, but knowing admin are keeping an eye on things and want this to go as smoothly as possible gives me as a player a lot of faith in where this change will ultimately end up.
  • IanirIanir Administrator, Moderator Posts: 400 Creator
    To be entirely honest, I was going to reject the request because I want things to go smoothly and not having an active council causes a lot of problems (and even had a giant wall of text explaining my thoughts on such), but a large number of the Gods also echoed your sentiments (and made convincing arguments as to why another 5 days without councils isn't the end of the world).

I'm not personally entirely convinced it's best for the overall health of the game, but I'm sure everybody can benefit from the extra discussion. Another week likely won't hurt anybody, and I'll fully admit a lot of my views may be stemming from wanting the faction rework to be done.
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
    Ianir said:
    To be entirely honest, I was going to reject the request because I want things to go smoothly and not having an active council causes a lot of problems (and even had a giant wall of text explaining my thoughts on such), but a large number of the Gods also echoed your sentiments (and made convincing arguments as to why another 5 days without councils isn't the end of the world).
    Then <3 to @alldivine, but I'm leaving my <3 to you for being willing to consider it and for having planned to give me a reply and an explanation even before you made the change.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen CanadaMember Posts: 1,322 Transcendent
    Thank goodness for this -- Glomdoring's new factions have barely even had the opportunity to truly outline their identity, nevermind have much discussion on what that should be; I'm sure other late-comer factions might be in similar situations. Having elections after potential GL's are able to get better understandings of what they will be leading is definitely the better idea.
    Tonight amidst the mountaintops   
    And endless starless night   
    Singing how the wind was lost   
    Before an earthly flight
  • VeyilsVeyils Member Posts: 1,380 Mythical
    Ianir said:

I'm not personally entirely convinced it's best for the overall health of the game, but I'm sure everybody can benefit from the extra discussion. Another week likely won't hurt anybody, and I'll fully admit a lot of my views may be stemming from wanting the faction rework to be done.

Honestly not having a full council isn't really a big deal. Just means you cant kick the GL from the org and some random stuff like that. 

You can get the family person to do all the heavy lifting.
  • HoaracleHoaracle Member, Gods Posts: 207 Divine
    /totally wanted guild leaders decided now; wants these halls he is sitting on off his plate for good.