Auctions!

Comments

• Rivius said:
    Do the dragon gauntlets destroy briars and/or icewalls?
    Yes, but there is an ammo limit of 12x shots per Lusternian month (double check w/ @Iosai, is it per game month or day? I'm still not sure and I own one of the damn things)
  • The dragon breath gauntlets regenerate one use every 2 IG days (every odd day).
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Historically, they've mostly been used for setting lines radiating outwards from the entrances of Serenwilde on fire, afaik. 
  • That's what I'm worried about after this auction too. How much would it diminish the value of the artifact if it didn't set the room on fire and only raised the firewalls?
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    I too would be fine with just briar blasting, firewalls and icewall melting. The dumb "haha I'll just set a room on fire and run" routine is pretty exasperating.
  • I don't think we're going to be 'nerfing' the functionality of auction-only artifacts that have previously been sold.

• Shuyin said:
    Hey, since the auctions just started, you guys should add 5 more existing arties (already available in game from the shops) and sell them for gold, get more of that out of the economy.
    We haven't traditionally done gold auctions. What would you like to see?
  • Personally, I'd love to see a mix of high- and low-cost artifacts. Perhaps the elemental rings, runes of gripping/shielding/enchantment, etc. Something for those of us without 50m+ to bid on.
  • I was pretty surprised that there were no censers this time around.

In regard to auction artifacts for gold, I think it'd be best to go with utility/fun types, or simply avoid anything for combat. The elemental rings might work, but I'd be more inclined to see the influence runes, glamrocks, or rift expanders of various types.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Trade artis maybe?

• Ooh, I could always use more keg runes! I only have 19 now...
  • Anyone care to compile a list of artifacts that we could choose to put up for auction?
  • My own short list that I wouldn't mind seeing (if we exclude the weapon runes I mentioned earlier):

Transplanar Prism: 800 credits
    Great Rune of Charity:  100 credits
    Great Rune of Seduction:  100 credits
    Great Rune of Empowerment:  100 credits
    Great Rune of Weakening:  100 credits
    Great Rune of Paranoia:  100 credits
    Powerplex Jewels: 250 credits
    A Dose of Relative Dimensional Liquefication: 125 credits
    A Drop of Extraspatial Aethersource: 150 credits
    Aetheric Keystone: 125 credits
    Pearl Ring: 350 credits
    Bloodstone Ring: 350 credits
    Sapphire Ring: 350 credits
    Ruby Ring: 350 credits
    Scroll of Laurels: 325 credits
    Collar of the Dracnari Beastmasters: 250 credits

I'm certain others have their own list of artifacts they'd like to see though. Also, I'm starting to become uncertain about the high-cost artifacts; it seems to me the people with a ton of gold already have the artifacts they generally want in that category.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Yeah you'll want affordable arties, but with the price of the credit market, there's a fine line.

Here's my list of things you can pick, I went with things anyone could potentially use:
    Any retired dingbat item
    Great Rune of Surging Life:            350  credits
    Great Rune of Absorption: 500 credits
    Great Rune of Iron Will: 300 credits
    Great Rune of Bodily Fortitude: 200 credits
    Bar of Golden Soap: 250 credits
    Rune of Vitality          Level 1 Health Regen:  300 credits
     Rune of Meditation        Level 1 Mana Regen:    300 credits
    Rune of Charming Manners  Level 1 Ego Regen:     300 credits
    Paradox Puzzle: 500 credits
    Ring of Aetheric Quickening: 500 credits
    Transplanar Prism: 800 credits
    Gem of Cloaking: 400 credits
    Spectacles of Clairvoyance: 500 credits
    Circlet of Lucidity: 600 credits
    Figurine Rune: 425 credits
    Scroll of Laurels: 325 credits
     Font of the Gods (400cr)
     Symbol of the Gods (250cr)
    Mark of the Devoted Servant (400cr)
    Ridiculous Pig Nose (150 dingbats)
     Boots of the Wanderer (300 dingbats)
     Eyepatch of the Aethers (200 dingbats)
    Fesix Bandolier (100 dingbats)
     Mechanical Spurs (200 dingbats)
     Scythe (500 dingbats)

• I like the idea of a gold auction, could be a fun way to get a slight deal on something or even overpay just to show that bastard who is bidding against you who is teh boss.

Also, go go goldsink.

• Are people expecting to get gold auctioned arties for deep discounts? There are definite price floors because we all know what the exact tradein value of these artifacts are, and as we approach the real retail value of the artifacts, as converted in comparison to the credit market, this essentially just becomes a way of converting gold to credits (or items that would normally require cr) without using the market, which is bad imo.

Also, I'm opposed to anything dingbat being auctioned for anything other than dingbats. The dingbat market has completely crashed in comparison to credits, and this can only hurt that situation. I'm already annoyed enough that I spent 2,000cr on a cubix when a torus (cubix+) can be attained for much cheaper by trading cr for db (cubix+ for 750cr if certain db buyers have their way). These -also- have price floors that can be determined by the tradein return of dingbats and by looking for the current gold value of db, which is currently around 15k-22k. Anything below that floor and you'll be getting people bidding just to get currency conversion at a favorable rate.

I'm all for removing some gold from the economy, but the lotteries and raffles are a better device for that, aren't they?
  • What I'm expecting from these auctions:

A) It will remove gold from the system. This is always nice, even if this is just a one-shot thing.
    B) It will allow people to buy those artifacts for gold. The gold cost might certainly be about par with the average sale price of credits, but it will allow them to buy them directly with gold instead of going through the market. After all, the market can sometimes be rather limited; I rarely see more than 200-300 credits there (even though there are about 600 credits on it now).
    C) I will finally be able to spend some of this gold I have absolutely no other use for. Which is awesome.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    D) It will give people other auctions to focus their energy on instead of the credit ones.

That's about the best I can see from it, I highly doubt I'd bid on any "standard" artifact with gold since I don't personally feel a credit is worth anywhere near the market value (and would thus never buy one at said value).

I might be interested in bidding on a custom emote / custom ikon with gold, though. Something a bit more unique would be required to catch my interest.
  • While fun, one-shot gold removals for a special event don't really constitute a legitimate gold sink. Not enough gold will be removed (only the winner loses their gold) and happening only once, a ton of gold will still be floating around. People will then want to horde their gold even more, expecting the precedent set by a gold auction to lead to more gold auctions in the future.

You do have something to spend all your gold on: buy credits from the market and purchase artifacts with those. Claiming that there are not enough credits on the market for you to purchase becomes a non-point once we realize that the credit market is constantly replenishing itself.

If gold sink is what you're really after then ask the admin to run a lottery every single week. Do the thing with the special drinks again so everybody is a winner. Introduce fun dingbat style items that are gold only. Let players create housing on prime for 10x the cost of aethermanses. Lots of other things, but this just isn't a real gold sink.
  • I'm well aware of how limited this is as a gold sink. I've even made several topics suggesting new gold sinks, in fact. And note that I never stated that this would be an effective gold sink; all I said was that it will get rid of gold, which is true no matter how you look at it.

As for the "People will hoard their gold even more", well, frankly I think that's a non-issue. I fully believe people will continue to buy things with gold even if there's a once-a-year gold auction with a couple of artifacts.
    edited January 2013
    I'm not sure what you're objecting to, exactly.

If you don't want to bid for an artifact with gold, then don't?

A lot of these auctions already tend to be won at a price way above their perceived value, so that's not exactly new. Neither is it new for people to hoard their riches for some perceived rainy day/sale. Fact is, people will hoard regardless of any gold auctions, gold sinks, and whatnot.

Also, the wheel broke dingbats and CFS, not auctions. Auctions don't even really begin to register on the radar for Things That May Break Lusternia.

Edit: I also wouldn't mind unique auction artifacts going to sell for gold, I bet those would be great. Censers, custom deathsight, etc.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    A gold auction sounds like a brilliant idea, actually...I imagine a lot of gold would be sucked out of the economy.
  • Depends on your definition of "a lot", to be frank. Depending on the number of items (and the items themselves) up for auction, I'd say between 1% and 5% of the total amount of gold floating around. And I might be generous.
    edited January 2013
    A lot of gold can get taken out of the economy provided the admin use arties that the rich will actually want.

Hence, here are more suggestions for gold arties:
    a Great Rune of Cosmic Summoning
    a Great Rune of Ethereal Summoning
    a custom emote/pose
    a paradox puzzle pentagon
    a shadowy Censer of Merciless Crow
    a pale Censer of the Majestic Hart
    an icy blue Censer of the Shifting Seas
    a twisted Censer of the Tainted Earth
    a burning Censer of the Sacred Flames
    a Censer of the Clouds
    a Key to the Gate
    a Book of the Dead
    an alchemist's pocketwatch
    a pair of Atroposian scissors
    a survivalist's chalice
    a Temporal Freezer
    Binoculars of Mystic Sight
    a promise ring

• Hmm, the sad truth is that we have never done gold auctions before and I'm not sure we'll have time to code and test it in tiem for this auction. Certainly, I hate the thought of trying to tweak the auction code and then some bug crops up that messes up the current auctions!
    It would not ruin my day if you guys promise to have gold auctions soon after the end of these regular auctions. You get time to code/test it out!

Just saying.
  • Plus, if there's more time before gold auctions, you don't have to rush to decide which items to include. Plus, we have more time to suggest more of them! So yeah, if the code isn't ready for gold auctions, I'm also perfectly fine with them being delayed a little. Just not... y'know... until next year or something.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Obviously we need to be able to buy presents with gold
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.

• Shaddus said:
    Obviously we need to be able to buy presents with gold
    Make It So™
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Also, a decent gold sink would be to sell the triple junction inn brews for a while, especially goldentonics
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.