How common are alts?

See title? I've always been an alt heavy sort of person, but I'm not sure, with item decay and all that, if its wise to have too many alts because I might get spread to thin, and come back to find myself penniless and with all my posessions rotted away to dust someday. So right now I'm sticking with one character, but I was wondering how many characters most Lusternia players on average have active at a time.

Comments

• Ask @Shaddus, king of the alts
  • edited May 2017
    But seriously outside a few people who make several because they like trying a bunch of things or because they're someone people hate and they roll a new character when people find out, (or other reasons, I dunno) I think the average is 1, maaaybe 2. Having said that, unless you fall into that second category or are particularly unsubtle (or both), most people won't really care
  • edited May 2017
    I don't alt. I have stints where I main another character but generally I'm pretty invested in Yarith. Most of the people in the PVP scene are heavily invested in a single character.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • I've always been a single character player, in all the muds I've played. Simply because I'm a firm believer that one character has more than enough to explore in a game if you wish him/her to be an all-around character, and after 9 months in I can safely say that statement is often proved correct by Lusternia.

But on the other hand, lots of people I know in this game have a main character and at least an active alt that they can swap between for convenience. Maybe it's the class you always wanted to try? The 2nd most tempting guild out there, not as good as your main one, but it's still pretty alluring. You will find a lot of reasons to have alts and even -I- think the call is strong from certain orgs/roleplays.

I find Lusternia's IG economy relatively well-built, and that translates to this: You'll find yourself regularly spending on the consumables and things that decay IG to feed that economy. But also a huge portion of those expenditures will be on QoL items, such as enchantments, minor buffs, so they are easily avoidable. Curatives do not decay, as long as you keep them in your rift/liquidrift(Except cleanse enchantment), but your access to liquidrift are vials and vials are subject to decaying, unless you buy artifact ones. So that's something to consider while you purchase them, don't trust the market inventories as a general rule of thumb and always probe them before you buy. The vials' lifespan vary from 0 days to +/-104 IRL days(100 IG months), that's a really long time to not worry about things once you purchase.

And in my experiences, the overall upkeep is never a taxing effort for a single character and should be easily doable for a second, third, maybe fourth? The answer to how many more just depends on how much time and energy you've at hand. Good luck settling down in the game.
     "Oh the year was 453CE, how I wish I was in Serenwilde now... aletter of marque come from the regent to the scummiest aethership I ever seen, gods damn them all...I was told we'd cruise the void for auronidion and dust, we'd fire no turrets, shed no tears.. now I'm a broken man on a Hallifax tier, the last of Saz's privateers."

-Kilian
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    I have one main character ( aeldra ) with a very inactive alt that was mostly created due to a time where IC aeldra was unbearable for me while OOCly being interested heavily into another class. Both issues got fixed so it's mostly just aeldra again. Personally, I find it hard enough to make sure my character isn't psychically sighted ( which some days is hard if you have OOC info on something ) and thus have resolved to only stick to one active character at a time simply because keeping several characters active including IC/OOC stuff... I need my sanity still ;)

Also, we're all @Shaddus, of course.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Alts are the devil. 
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Shaddus said:
    Alts are the devil. 
    How's it goin', Beelzebub?
  • edited May 2017
    Phoebus said:
    Shaddus said:
    Alts are the devil. 
    How's it goin', Beelzebub?

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited May 2017
    I'll have you know that I haven't rolled a lot of alts recently. One in the past week, and the last one before that is in their 40s.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Shaddus said:
    I'll have you know that I haven't rolled a lot of alts recently. One in the past week, and the last one before that is in their 40s.
    We've had plenty of newbies, what are you talking about?  ;)

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight