[Mafia Sign-Ups] Pick Your Power Mafia Lusternia

edited June 2017 in Mafia Hideout

It was a dark and storm-free night in the town of Lusterniaville, which for years had been a pleasant and welcoming place where its citizens could live, learn, work, play, and grow.

Until now.

A small group of Lusterniaville's citizens banded together into a secretive criminal organization known as the Mafia. Determined to seize control of the credit market, curio market, dingbat market, wonder crystal market, artifact market, Solstice crate market, aethergoop market, ikon market, doll market, candy market, cookie market, commodity market, and pony market in one fell swoop, they devised a bold, daring plan to sabotage the town from within. In order to ensure the ultimate success of their plan, though, the Mafia knew that they would have to assassinate anyone who might stand in their way.

Dun dun dun...

===

Rules

1. Voting must be in the form of ##Vote Player (for example, ##Vote Irillia) in the thread, or your vote will not be counted. I will post updated vote counts whenever I have the chance. If you wish to change your vote to someone else, please make a new post with the following format:

##Unvote Irillia

##Vote Estarra

2.  Day will last ?? hours, with a deadline of 7:59 PM Eastern/6:59 PM Central/11:59 PM GMT. The player who has received the most votes in that time will be lynched. In the event of a tie, the person who received the most votes first will be lynched.

3. Night will last ?? hours, with a deadline of 7:59 PM Eastern/6:59 PM Central/11:59 PM GMT. You may not post in the thread during Night phases. If you do not send in your Night actions before the deadline, it will count as no action.

4. You are not allowed to communicate with each other outside the thread unless your role specifically allows you to do this.

5. Once you are eliminated, do not continue posting in the thread (unless your role explicitly allows this). A polite goodbye post is fine, as long as it is brief and contains no game-changing information.

6. You are not allowed to quote your role PM or any PM you receive from the host.

7. Do not discuss game details outside of the game.

8. Do not edit your posts. Double-post instead if you want to clarify something.

9. Please be sportsmanlike and not rude or inflammatory, lest you spontaneously burst into flame. You will receive one warning.

10. Please post at least once per Day phase and vote every day while you are alive. The first time you fail to do so, you will receive a warning. The second time, you will be modkilled. However, if something comes up and you have to miss a Day phase, just inform me ahead of time and there shouldn't be a problem.

11. If you need to go inactive, please let me know so I can find a replacement player. Those interested in being a replacement player, please message me to be put on the waitlist.

===

But There's a Twist...

Everyone will start out as either a vanilla townie, vanilla mafia, or vanilla third party. However, all players have a chance to secretly draft a special role before the game's first Day phase begins. The procedure for drafting will work like this:

1. At the beginning of the game, all players will receive a Vanilla role PM, which will contain their alignment. After receiving their Vanilla role PMs, players can start posting in the thread.

2. Players then have 24 hours to pick two numbers from 1-20 (for example, [1][19]) and PM them to me.

3. I will create a draft order based on everyone's numbers and the system described below.* If you do not send me any numbers, I will automatically place you at the bottom of the list. When the draft order is done, I will post the draft order in the thread.

4. After that, all players have another 24 hours to PM me with the role they want to select from the role list. Any role can go to any side. If you don't send in a role pick during that time, you will keep your Vanilla role.

5. Every player will receive the role that he or she selected. However, if two people select the same role, only the player who is higher in the draft order will get that role. The player lower in the draft order will be notified that their role has already been picked and they will keep their Vanilla role.

6. Once I have PMed everyone with their final roles and powers, then Day 1 will start.

*This is how I will create the draft order: The first number closest to 1 will be first in the draft order. However, if several players pick the same first number, they will all go to the bottom of the draft order. Then I would move on to the next lowest number (in this case, 2) and the same rules apply. If no other player has picked 2, then the person who picked 2 will become first in the draft order. This continues until I get to 20.

Now, the second number is used to determine who goes first, in the event of players picking the same first number. The lowest number of the second number goes first and so on. In the event players picked the same two numbers, I will once again reset them to the back of the queue (for the order they are in). In the event that your first and second numbers both clash with another player's numbers, you both go straight to the bottom of the order. So, if three players picked [4][1], [4][1] and [4][7], the two players with [4][1] are bumped below the player that picked [4][7] along with the original bump. Ultimately, the most unique number combination will get priority.

===

Signup Notes

- As most of you already know, mafia games are typically very active, so the thread will get long quickly. However, it is essential to read the thread to play the game. Please consider if you have the time and patience to read the thread thoroughly when you sign up.

- Unlike previous games, this game will be extremely light on flavor text, particularly in PMs. If receiving colorful, elaborate, and/or mysterious flavor text in your PMs is a big part of why you enjoy playing mafia, then I'm sorry to say that you are bound to be disappointed and/or bored by this game.

- In addition to your sign-up, please let me know your preferences for how long a Day/Night cycle should last. I'm used to a 48-hour Day/24-hour Night, but I'm willing to extend or adjust those numbers to 72/24 hours, 72/48 hours, or 96/24 hours like Vivet's Very Vanilla game. Just let me know what you'd be comfortable with!

Player List

1. Arix

2. Silvanus

3. Othero

4. Shaddus

5. Fyler

6. Kalikai

7. Lehki

8. Tarkenton

9. Phoebus

10. Vivet

11. Ellowyn

12. Falaeron

13. Dys

Replacement List

1. Sylandra

2. Tremula

Avatar created by the amazing Feyrll.

Comments

• edited June 2017
    FIRST
    48/24
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Put me on the replacement list. I'm going to be pretty busy the next two weeks, but I'm happy to replace a missing player. :)
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    I'll sign up. 

72/24 or 96/24 work for me
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    As always, since I play a lot of mafia, I'm more inclined to start on the reserves to give everyone else a chance to play. If you need me at the end to bolster numbers, feel free to throw me in! I prefer 72/24 or 96/24.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • I'm in. I'll also vote for 96/24 hours
  • Thanks for the interest so far. :) I'm hoping for the usual 15-16 players, although I can work with less. I know this may not be the best time for a game, with people busy during the summer, but I hope anyone who may not have time will still follow along with the game on the forums.

I would also be happy to post the list of available roles that everyone will be drafting from here, to hopefully pique interest and give players an idea of the possibilities (the list, of course, being subject to change at my whim before the game starts), if people are interested.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I want in. No preference.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I'll play, no preference 
    Known Aliases: Celina/Cyndarin/Fire Jesus/The Night/That Bitch who griefed us
  • I'll play - no preference
  • Yeah I'll go again. And sure, let's see the list if you have it ready. Will be interesting knowing the roles present going into the game.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Eh, why not.
  • edited June 2017
    Added Kalikai, Lehki, and Tarkenton. Thank you all for your interest!
    Lehki said:
    Yeah I'll go again. And sure, let's see the list if you have it ready. Will be interesting knowing the roles present going into the game.

Here's the list of all available roles that can be selected by players this game. This may be subject to change, though I think it's pretty much finalized by now. Of course, given the nature of drafting a role in Pick Your Power games, not everyone will necessarily get a role, and thus not all these roles will show up in the game.

Alignment Detective: You can investigate a player once per night and learn whether they are aligned with the Town or Mafia. The strain of the job has gotten to you, though, and as a result, you may not know if you are Sane (correct alignment checks), Insane (Town players show up as Mafia and vice versa), or even Paranoid (all checks show up as Mafia).

Parity Detective: You are an Alignment Detective with the ability to compare Investigations. Instead of receiving "Town" or "Mafia" results, your targets will be compared for Alignment. On Night 1, you will receive no result. Every night thereafter, the new person you investigate will be compared with the person you investigated the prior night. If they are all of the same alignment, you will receive the result "Same"; otherwise, you will receive the result "Different". Millers, godfathers, and serial killers will be considered Town-aligned.

Role Detective: You can investigate people at night and learn their role.

Vote Detective: At night, you can either investigate a player to learn that player's role or ask me how many mafia voted to lynch a specific person. You may only use each ability once.

Medic: You have the power to save lives. Every night, you may protect someone, thus allowing them to survive being shot once. You cannot target yourself at night.

CPR Doctor: Be careful with that thing! If the person you are protecting gets attacked, then you protect them as normal. However, if they aren't attacked that night, you end up killing them. You cannot target yourself at night.

Mad Hatter: You start the game with two bombs and may lay one of those bombs on one player per night. If you are killed, you will throw the switch and detonate all bombs you have laid, killing those players (if they aren't protected by extra night lives or medics). The Mad Hatter may remove bombs from players at any time during the night to get them back, but if a player is lynched with a bomb on them while the Mad Hatter is still alive, the Mad Hatter loses that bomb for good. Bombs are refunded if the target is killed during the night.

Bulletproof: You are immune to night kills. However, if you get roleblocked, it cancels out this power.

Day Vigilante: During the Day, you may type ##Kill Player in the thread. That player dies and Day goes on. You can only shoot once.

Jack of All Trades: Aren't you just so talented? You can use one of the following powers at night: Investigate Alignment (Sane), Protect, Shoot, and Bulletproof. You can only use each power once. Please PM me to let me know which power (if any) you plan to use that night.

Inventor: At night, you can invent anything you feel like: a gun with one bullet, an extra bullet, a med-kit, a detective kit, a telephone, or whatever else you can think of. PM me with what you want to invent, how it works, and what player you want to give it to (it cannot be yourself). The next Day post will include a brief statement letting everyone know what was invented, but not to whom it was given. Of course, if I consider your invention to be imbalanced or game-breaking, I won't allow it and you will have to invent something else.

Godfather: As a clever and cunning leader, you have the ability to PM me once per night to cover a player, changing their role and alignment to anything you want. You can choose to appear as a role of your choice (including Vanilla Town) to all types of detective actions. You are also immune to votechecks.

Roleblocker: You can prevent people from using their night powers. This also breaks the Bulletproof role power, but not the Serial Killer's innate bulletproof ability. You cannot roleblock the same player on consecutive nights.

Copycat: You begin the game with no powers. However, when the first power role dies, you get an exact copy of their role.

Vote Rigger: You have two one-shot powers. The first power is that you can force a double lynch at any time during the day (the two leading candidates at the end of the day are lynched). The second power lets you buy someone else's lynch vote for the current day, forcing them to place their vote on whomever you want. Surprise! You may only activate one power at a time.

Prince(ss) of Darkness: You love when the sun goes down and the day is done. During any night phase, you can choose to send the game into a second night phase by PMing me. You can only use this ability once per game.

Jailkeeper: You have the ability to lock a player in jail once per night, preventing Night actions on a player of your choice during the Night phase, such as detective checks, bombs, and Night hits. It does not prevent roleblocks. The player who is jailed will also not be able to perform any Night actions. No one will be notified of any results. Jailkeeper can protect someone the night he or she gets killed. You may not jail yourself.

Pardoner: During the Day, you can save a player from being lynched by typing <##Pardon Player </b>in the thread. You can only use this ability once. You cannot Pardon yourself.

Janitor: Even though you're always busy cleaning up after other people's messes, you love your job so much that you'll even clean up dead bodies. During the Night, you may PM me that you want to clean up all the dead bodies. No player's role or alignment will be revealed upon death during the next Day. You can only use this ability once.

Bad Santa: At the start of the game, you may send me a list of 4 players' names. If any of those players are the cause of death for each other by Night kill, voting for a successful lynch, or any other means, then I will let you pick one of the remaining names and kill them the next night.  This ability may be used multiple times.

• Because that post is so aggravating to edit (specifically, the font color gets lost every time I edit the post), I'm going to double-post now and add that you are all free to ask questions about the various roles, point out inconsistencies, etc., now and throughout the game. Hope this at least gets people thinking about which role they'd like to pick (and hopefully play as) during the role selection phase!
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    I'll play. This seems like it'll be a weird one. As for time, I like the sound of 72/24.
  • I will throw myself upon the whims of RNGesus
  • edited June 2017
    Phoebus said:
    I'll play. This seems like it'll be a weird one. As for time, I like the sound of 72/24.
    Yes, this game will definitely be different from previous Lusternian games, although it's my hope that the different-ness will possibly provide a breath of fresh air in Lusternia's meta. In all honesty, Lusternian games are the ones that feel weird to me, because I first learned to play forum mafia in a different forum (ironically, it too was dedicated to another game and just had forum mafia as an extraneous fun forum activity that a lot of people really got into) and thus I'm used to different conventions, setups, play styles, etc., than what I see in Lusternian mafia games.

The Pick Your Power format was definitely one of my favorites from the other forum, so I'm hoping it will also appeal to at least a few players here. And if not? Oh well, at least I'll know better for the future.

Also, thank you for signing up!
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals

Signing up and already plotting the best troll picks.

I'm willing to try 72/24, but am not too hung up on particulars. No matter which way we go, it sounds like we won't have eternal day phases, so that's good by me.

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Ellowyn asked me to post for her to add to the signup list.

I think she thought it would go quickly.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • Hurray! Ellowyn, I can't help but feel a little flattered that you thought the signup spots would go quickly, even if it may be more of a reflection of how popular mafia is here than anything else.

Vivet, I like the way you're thinking for your picks. :D
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    @Irillia I am excited to play, in case my post didn't convey that. Just sick as a dog atm.
  • THERE'S A PRINCESS OF THE NIGHT ROLE OMG
    Known Aliases: Celina/Cyndarin/Fire Jesus/The Night/That Bitch who griefed us
  • dibs

• Doot.
  • Falaeron said:
    Doot.
    Thank you for volunteering as tribute. <3 Best e-great-grandson ever.
    Fyler said:
    THERE'S A PRINCESS OF THE NIGHT ROLE OMG
    I should have seen this coming.
  • I'll play!
  • Thank you so much, Dys! I hope you have fun in this game.

I also have two quick game-related announcements. Because of stated player preferences, as well as personal preference, the Day phase in this game will be lasting 72 hours and Night will be 24 hours. Hopefully this won't feel too rushed to anyone! If it does turn out to be a problem for many people, I'll definitely consider extending the Day phase, if necessary, during the game.

In that same vein, I'm also considering shortening Day 1 to be only 48 hours, because there will already have been a 24-hour period for people to send me their draft numbers and a second 24-hour period for people to send me their role picks. Everyone will be able to talk during all this time. This would make Day 1 last basically five days, and I think shortening it to four wouldn't be too unreasonable. If any of you have any thoughts about this, please let me know!

I'm also making a change to the role list I posted earlier, swapping out Alignment Detective for what I think is the far more interesting role of Parity Detective. It's a little less straightforward than Alignment Detective, which should encourage more analysis about just exactly who you'd be investigating (assuming you pick the role, of course!).
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I think that's 15 with Sylandra and myself, no?
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • edited June 2017
    It's 14 with you, Tremula, as Sylandra won't have time to be more than a last-minute replacement. Which I'm fine with! 14 players is pretty good, although I'll still be accepting anyone who signs up before the game begins.

When will that be, you ask? I am planning to start the game tomorrow evening (June 22, sometime in the afternoon). The game thread and role PMs should go out about then, after which you guys can start posting and send me a PM with your two numbers from 1-20.