Mudlet wrapping in strange places

...mostly the problem seems to be with punctuation. It'll put the word on one line, then period/comma/quotation mark etc on another line...

Any way to consistently fix this? I've been tweaking word wrap a lot but every time it's a kind of hydra head problem...
beep

Comments

• Is your IG wrapwidth set to 0?
  • edited August 2017
    Additionally, what's your mudlet wrap? It's not super AI and flexible and making decisions like not orphaning periods. That line is 99 characters long, so if Mudlet is wrapping at 98 characters that sentence will always appear that way. (Which frustrated me to no end when I got an arti vial and sipping bromides was exactly 1 character too long and I wound up with a million orphaned periods.) Change your mudlet wrap to 100?
  • I'm having this same problem. My config wrapwidth is 0 and Mudlet's at 100.
  • Chirbi said:
    Additionally, what's your mudlet wrap? It's not super AI and flexible and making decisions like not orphaning periods. That line is 99 characters long, so if Mudlet is wrapping at 98 characters that sentence will always appear that way. (Which frustrated me to no end when I got an arti vial and sipping bromides was exactly 1 character too long and I wound up with a million orphaned periods.) Change your mudlet wrap to 100?
    100 is where I started.

Then I reduced it to 99

then 98...

like I said it's a kind of hydra head problem. Any time I change it, new lines become like that...

I started out with the same settings as Kerith
    beep
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I've just learned to live with it. It's on my list of reasons I miss MUSHclient.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • The only other thing I could think of is your output window is smaller than your wrap width in mudlet.
  • Ayisdra said:
    The only other thing I could think of is your output window is smaller than your wrap width in mudlet.
    It's a lot wider, so I can fit chat panels and stuff...

Everiine said:
    I've just learned to live with it. It's on my list of reasons I miss MUSHclient.
    yeah... x.x
    beep
  • Ayisdra said:
    The only other thing I could think of is your output window is smaller than your wrap width in mudlet.
    I can see how that might be, especially since I use a GUI that reduces that space, however this problem didn't start until after I'd been using that GUI for quite some time.
  • Also there's plenty of space between the end of the text and the end of the area for it.

• It looks like the period and previous word are considered separate words. Since they are considered separately and in Kerith's latest example, the line is 101 characters long, you get the single period orphaned out there.

My advice would be to bring this to the Mudlet discord or github pages and see if they can't fix it for the next release.
  • edited August 2017
    I'll volunteer and suggest that punctuation marks should no longer be considered their own word for text wrapping purposes in consoles like @Sidd says. I don't think this is an error, issue, or a bug  since everything is working fine and as intended, just a little awkwardly. I specifically changed my word wrap to deal with common lines from the Lust that were 81 characters and ending with orphaned periods- like I said my arti vial sipping was 81 characters which was frustrating to no end especially after paying for them.

Did anyone update to 3.4 before this changed for them? They changed some features of consoles but I don't think I saw wrapping in the changelog. What version is everyone on? @Kerith @Yehn

edit: Just to double check, is anyone using setWindowWrap() anywhere in their GUI script?
    edit: Triple check, please let me know if you don't want me using your screenshots, otherwise they're going in the github issue.
  • Here's the issue for those that want to follow or contribute: https://github.com/Mudlet/Mudlet/issues/1274

Feel free to add more details!
  • @Chirbi Please do feel free to use my screenshot. I've been using 3.3.1. I forgot there was a newer one, though it sounds like the problem exists there too.

@Sidd Makes sense. Thanks. I'll toss it into the Discord server.
  • edited August 2017
    Vadi responded to the issue on discord. Won't be fixed immediately, but it's in the to do pile hopefully for 3.5 :]
  • Oh cool. I hadn't gotten around to checking in there yet. Thanks, @Chirbi - and thanks to the Mudlet team :)
  • I'm on 3.4.0. Glad to hear it's on the todo pile, thanks!
    beep