Vae Victis! A Roman Mafia Game. CLODIUS AND EMPERORS WIN!

Comments

• Arix said:
    So I guess @Yarith investigated Tremula?
    Safe to assume yes, he did. I had a similar message on my investigation.
  • That is correct, I investigated Tremula, who turned out to be a loyal emperor to me and my fellow philosophers.

Of the remaining few of us, my investigations have shown Yasei and Tremula to be loyal emperors, I myself, of course, am one. I am all but certain that Arix is too.

For me, today is deciding between Cyndarin or Kaimanahi, though, it's possible the choice does not matter. 

(I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • I'm personally leaning more towards Kai. Mostly gut.
  • I'm ok claiming, just need to get on my actual computer
  • In any case, I am your protector, and my role has been keeping people with murderous intent away from Yarith for the last several days, except for night one when my lack of information had me pick Cyndarin, because that was the first name I could think of
  • and I say protector instead of doctor because Portius gave me some odd fluff/role justification

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    After everything that I've heard I'm inclined to believe Cyndarin due to the similarity in our powers, but Kaimanahi has been giving me a weird feeling in my gut, I don't quite know why.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • At this point I'm just REALLY hoping Yarith is town
  • but it went suddenly super quiet after I claimed even though people were around so I dunno what's going on
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Vote Count

6 Players remain! 4 Votes required to lynch!
    Day 4 ends at 11 AM EST on November 7th!

"Thine, Roman, is the pilum:
              Roman, the sword is thine,
         The even trench, the bristling mound,
              The legion's ordered line;
         And thine the wheels of triumph,
              Which with their laurelled train
         Move slowly up the shouting streets
              To Jove's eternal flame.

-Thomas Babington Macaulay, The Prophecy of Capys

Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Well, I can claim, as I'm not sure there's much use in anonymity now. I am Emperor Tiberius, formerly a decorated general of Rome, and a veteran, here. I was hoping to use my night ability against the crisis on N2, however Ushaara blocked me, as you know. Otherwise, I was hoping that Yarith might investigate me sooner, so I could comfortably elect to go on alert. But given the circumstances, I feel it is to town's benefit that I give up my potential safety and reveal. I will not go on alert tonight, if you wish to confirm my alignment. I expect that the rebels may come for me, but perhaps that will afford you another day closer to discovering the remaining mafia.

As for today, I would implore that you all not lynch without basis. I feel that my previous post is worth warrant, in considering the potential mafia design in this game. I also feel that I have contributed to the town's discussions in offerings observations and opinions, unlike many of those who are left among us. I'd also note that, yesterday, Cyndarin went out of her way to attempt to substantiate Shaddus' claim, and she was further a late (the last) vote on the Sidd train. In this, I feel Cyndarin has been the most suspicious of all of us, and if she proves to be town, I don't see very much how a double vote helps us here.

And now as I'm thinking more on this, I want to revisit the conversation that Ushaara raised the other day, regarding deductions from the crisis event. Previously, we knew:

Didn't participate in crisis: Ushaara, Kaimanahi, Vivet, Shaddus, Yarith

Undeclared: Sylandra, Cyndarin, Arix, Tremula, Ordassa, Ess, Vatul, Yasei

We now know that Ordassa had a power specifically to combat the crisis. So we have to assume he applied at least one point against it, possibly two, for town. We know that both Ess and Sylandra, as the confirmed third party entities, both acted on that night. Ess killed Vivet, and I believe that Sylandra arson-prepped Shaddus (he said something about a Christian cult following him and had voted for her the previous day). Shaddus investigated Ushaara that night. So, in order for the mafia to have won the conspiracy, someone else must have supported the rebels from the remaining list of Cyndarin, Arix, Tremula, Vatul, and Yasei. We know that Vatul was town. Yasei and Arix are supposedly town, by Yarith's investigation or vote of confidence. So, that leaves Cyndarin and/or Tremula. Right?
    Sorry, forgot to note that Yarith also investigated Tremula as town, just above. So, then that would further leave Cyndarin, assuming we don't have a godfather role among us. 
  • Anyone around? It's been very quiet
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I imagine everyone has been busy with their weekend, considering that it's early monday Morning, and we have about thirty-three hours left to discuss from this point. Yarith, myself, a third he investigated (Yasei?) are confirmed. That leaves Kaimanahi, Cyndarin, and Arix. If I'm wrong, rix-man, just quote me where he proofed you and we'll get down to our coin flip. 
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • As far as I know nobody has proofed me, Cyndarin or Kaimanahi, though the latter is certainly acting as though a name claim is proof alone
  • And I did not participate in the crisis, I deemed it more helpful to protect Yarith
  • Yeah, it is entirely possible I have a false positive on one of my tests. 

I can confirm Arix's claim, I was already aware he was the protector from his earlier comment to the flavour message of a bout with his guards. His night claims match up.

I'm personally unsure of which way to go at this point, but I do feel that Cyndarin is the lynch I am leaning towards, however.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • which comment? I only ask because it's been driving me nuts trying to figure out if people I protect get a message
    Man, @Arix, I'm not acting like a name claim is proof. Let me lay this out more simply.

1) It is a fact that the mafia won their conspiracy crisis on Night 2.
    2) None of the dead mafia or 3p could have contributed to the crisis because all of them are known to have acted that night.
    3) This means that someone who is still alive must have supported the crisis for the mafia.
    4) Of those alive, Yarith and (I think?) Arix are known to have acted on that night, so they are not the mafia supporter. I was also blocked that night, so I cannot be the mafia supporter.
    5) In conclusion, Tremula, Cyndarin, or Yasei are the only possible mafia crisis supporters; one of them must be mafia.

Of those three, Cyndarin is the only one who has not been verified as town by Yarith. We also know that Cyndarin has a double vote power. We could also conceivably assume that the effect of the crisis was the soft vote on Sylandra on Day 3, since that effect has not come up ever since (Yasei, you can probably say if this is your power, otherwise?). Along those lines, Cyndarin also having that conspiracy crisis would make the most sense; Cyndarin could effectively have a vote weight of three following a successful crisis.

Like I said, Yarith is welcome to come investigate me tonight. Lynch me tomorrow if his result does not corroborate my claim. But I don't understand why today's lynch has to be a "coin flip" or based on gut feelings when the evidence is right in front of you.
    Vote Count

To Jove's eternal flame.

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Come on Kai, you can’t give yourself credit for participating in the discussion then try and ding me for doing the same. Getting Shaddus to verify his power was just that, you conveniently leave out that I, at no point, defended him or used it as a platform to defend him with. You're also playing both sides of the fence, trying to argue that the evidence is just so convincing, but just in case it's not it's just a double vote power so no big deal AMIRITE.

I'll admit, it's a convincing argument. However, if you're going to give context to my actions, you have to give context to all of my actions. This is something I have insisted on in many games, you can't just cherry pick what is suspicious. Accusations must be contextual, they must make sense of behavior as a whole. 

For example, if I were mafia all I would've known is that Ess wasn't mafia. In fact, if I was mafia targeting Ess, it was more likely Ess was town than third party based on simple numbers. That's QUITE A GAMBLE for a member of the mafia to give and "it's either me or you" claim. If Ess had flipped town, I'd be dead, and it would've been a remarkably stupid play. So, assuming you want to make sense of all my behavior and not just pick and choose, you'd have to believe I was willing to make a public spectacle over an unfavorable gamble. 

The short version is I wouldn't because that's dumb.

I've also demonstrated my power, so that's confirmed. Has there ever been a game where the mafia has double vote power and the town did not? I don't recall one. While double vote is not exclusively town, it is a very mild town power, but a very powerful mafia power.

Plus, mine was one shot only. If you believe I am mafia, you'd also have to believe I would blow it just to snipe Ess, even though the town was pretty committed to lynching him. Just to prove I can't use it again....

Issue an Edict

Vote: Kaimanahi

Behold, it does nothing.

As a note, I don't know if I believe Kai is the scum. I'm just using her to prove a point. There's something in my gut telling me it's not her.

Vote Count
    Kaimanahi 1-Cyndarin

To Jove's eternal flame.

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    See.

unvote
    Vote Count

To Jove's eternal flame.

• Name claiming isn't bringing me much comfort considering every scum so far has had a safe claim.
    @Cyndarin: I'm not hiding anything in my deduction. I presented my observations, hypotheses, and conclusions, and then I also considered the potential faults and risks. That's not "playing both sides"; that's just being logical. And yes, if you flip town, you're effectively a vanilla townie and can't mechanically help us to resolve this game. That's a fact, not something that I'm conveniently pointing out.

Sure, we can talk about your interaction with Ess. I agree; if you were mafia, you would have known that Ess was town or 3p. But after there was no SK action from Ushaara's block, Ess was already heavily pinned for SK by us. So once Ess made a claim that he had the double vote power, you would have known that it was highly likely he was lying - i.e., two people having the same power would be "very unlikely", per your own words. That presented a favorable opportunity to secure the lynch with your counterclaim, further giving you some credit for ousting a 3p threat. Thereafter, when Ess started to poorly scramble and further confirmed his position, you had the perfect opportunity to demonstrate your ability and effectively get town credit, knowing he could not produce the same result. All in all, that was certainly worth the "gamble"; that credit probably lent to Yarith investigating Tremula over you, and is also why people now have some gut feeling to lynch me over you in a supposed coin flip scenario.

We can argue that further, but ultimately that's not the crux of my argument. The breakdown of the crisis interaction is what I find to be most compelling. That is, someone - between Tremula, Yasei, and you - has to be anti-town, by the established rules of the game and known actions within it. So, if not you, then we would need to question the validity of Yarith's town investigations - whether he himself is anti-town and lying, or one of his reads was a false-positive. I'm willing to consider the possibility that the crisis supporter could have been Tremula or Yasei, hence why I did not outright vote for you. So then, how are we to decide? <insert what is the truth gif here lul>

@Yasei I'll just ask: do you think it's to town's benefit that you continue to keep your power/identity anonymous? If not, then now is probably the time to reveal. In the very least, can you confirm that the +1 vote on Sylandra was not your power? 
  • I have no vote power, the only special thing about my role is I get to come back one time if I get killed.

My role is Romulus Augustulus.
  • The only way to really prove the +1 on Sylandra was me would be to lynch me/assassinate me, and have me come back next day phase. But at this point in the game that would be a useless lynch.
    I wasn't accusing you of the +1, was just asking if you could confirm that it wasn't you.

But gosh, I find resurrection to be an unbelievable power in this game setting. What's the fluff reason behind Romulus Augustulus coming back to life? Like, for myself, Tiberius was a famous general who didn't aspire to be emperor, and thereafter became a reclusive and gloomy ruler - hence veteran power here. I think all of the role reveals have had reasonable linkages between historical relevance and game power, too.
  • It's not resurrection, really. I'm still tired and had to skim my message. I have one death immunity.

If I am targetted for death you'll get a flavour message along the lines of "X takes pity on Yasei for their youth and decides it's not their time."