Vae Victis! A Roman Mafia Game. CLODIUS AND EMPERORS WIN!

Comments

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Sidd said:
    ah man,

I'm not scum or 3p, I'm town, I want to see Rome succeed so I can continue my lavish lifestyle. I only started the fire to build my Golden House anyway.

My power is that twice a game I can force all 3p to forgo their regular power use and contribute to the crisis for town instead. If anytime I use this power and the town does not succeed, I wind up commiting suicide.

There is no threat here.

This does seem a little convenient on a day where the crisis mechanic is first introduced. That said, can you verify that the crisis mechanic is an ongoing, daily aspect of the game? If this is your role, I’d expect this is something you'd need to know.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Well I feel one of them is lying.

If it is not @Sidd, @Yarith has set herself as candidate for a good old fashioned crucifixion the next day. The bluff is too big too early for Yarith. Bold, bold gesture for day 2.

Carpe diem
    Not Ess.
    Totally not Ess.
    Probably Kistan but that only has one s
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    VOTE COUNT:
    Sidd 5-Yarith, Ess, Arix, Ordassa, Sylandra

14 Players remain! 8 Votes required to lynch!
    Day ends at midnight EST, October 30th!

"Fear betrays ignoble souls"
    -Virgil, Aeneid 4.13

Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Just checking in for now. On my way back home where I'll read everything more thoroughly. First take-aways are that the crisis mechanic is going to play hell on people without a night power, and that it's likely mafia will successfully pull one off just because of raw numbers and chance. Us dedicating people to that this early on, depending on their frequency, could leave some of our more important Romans left undefended. Also I'm just gonna vote for Sidd, because Sylandra is right that it's incredibly convenient.

Proscribe: Sidd
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • i'm off to my villa to rest for the day. see you tomorrow!
    VOTE COUNT:
    Sidd 6-Yarith, Ess, Arix, Ordassa, Sylandra, Tremula

-Virgil, Aeneid 4.13

• I wouldn't have said anything if I didn't get 4 people voting for me pretty much instantaneously. 

I'm not sure what more you expect. 
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Right now I'd like an answer to @Sylandra's question. However, rereading what he said his power is gives us enough info to see that this can be has to have (or at least have had during planning) two or more third party.

It could be possible Yarith detects 3p as scum, but I doubt he'd be so eager to soak up then.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
    The mod also confirmed today in the opening post that we have 3rd party. Again, convenient claim imho.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Anyone would reasonably guess there is a 3rd party in the game, that's not 'convenient' that's just logical.

I do not know how common the crises will be, I asked about it and I was told that when I needed to know, I would be informed.  I'm guessing that they will be more often, but maybe not daily, but as far as I know, Portius has a schedule for them and will just run with it. My power makes it seem like I have a choice here, support the crisis and burn my power or use the power and force the support at risk of my own demise.

I'm getting the feeling that Sylandra is maybe a 3p? Doesn't want me forcing her hand into doing anything, maybe because she herself has limited powers? 
    Look at this from my perspective:
    1) Yarith says you look guilty to him and outed himself as investigator day 2. @Ess is right, this is a bold move and only makes sense if Yarith is being honest about his role and result.
    2) My experience last night involved being jeered at by angry peasants. I don’t know what it means but again I think either mockery or arsonist. So I’m already anticipating a possible arsonist in game before the dayphase event opens.
    3) You claim Nero, who burned Rome to the ground - a highly possible arsonist role. Your claimed powers are unusual ones that only make sense in light of the latest mod announce, and have low risk of being counterclaimed.

I’m being aggressive because I don’t want the day to end with the investigator outing themselves for no reason, nor do I want the day to end without taking the opportunity to test a likely arsonist suspect. Frankly, I’ll be very surprised if you’re telling the truth! This reeks of bluffing to me.
    Daraius said:
  • As I have been sitting here, eating golden-dewed grapes from my well-treated Roman slaves, and handing out prizes for my lottery - I've been quite busy, and just heard of the deaths. Along with my observing everything that's happened so far, I find it rather unfortunate that we have lost Hadrian and Theodosius. Both imposed some very interesting effects on the town, but ah, such is Rome. Imperators are replaced so effortlessly now a days. But I've spent most of my time in worship to my God, in my own personal chapel. I have seen nor heard nothing, but people seem to be pleased with me. For now.

The claim that Sidd is Nero seems probable, but if our investigator is who he says he is then it should be investigated through the crisis.

The cool night-time breeze shivers in the arid caress of the streets of the capital city, brushing the earthen taste of dust across your lips.
    A blessed silence falls upon the city for the moment, most activity confined to the towers and the
    theatre due to the snowy weather.
    Pinprick points of light twinkle in the deep black overhead, their brightness full of a cold,
    hungering malice.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    I'd agree with Sylandra. Pure bluff. I don't believe anyone would have been given advance knowledge of crises through a role power.

From what we already know about roles, the flavour of the power is closely associated to what the emperor is most famous for, e.g., Hadrian = Wall, Theodosius = Religious Suppression, our Investigator = Meditator.

Why would Nero get to control the votes of third parties when he is most famous for his part in a fire?

So I'd be fairly sure of Sidd being an arsonist and only question is if he's mafia or third party. Mafia would be preferred of course, but think third party is the more likely.

Only reason I haven't added the vote is that I think Cyndarin is still to check in this day phase.
    VOTE COUNT:
    Sidd 6-Yarith, Ess, Arix, Ordassa, Sylandra, Tremula

-Virgil, Aeneid 4.13

Vatul said:
    As I have been sitting here, eating golden-dewed grapes from my well-treated Roman slaves, and handing out prizes for my lottery - I've been quite busy, and just heard of the deaths. Along with my observing everything that's happened so far, I find it rather unfortunate that we have lost Hadrian and Theodosius. Both imposed some very interesting effects on the town, but ah, such is Rome. Imperators are replaced so effortlessly now a days. But I've spent most of my time in worship to my God, in my own personal chapel. I have seen nor heard nothing, but people seem to be pleased with me. For now.

The claim that Sidd is Nero seems probable, but if our investigator is who he says he is then it should be investigated through the crisis.

But if Sidd is mafia and he’s lying, that means he gets another night to act on the rebels’ behalf. And if he’s an arsonist who knows his bluff won’t hold up the next day, he could ignite prematurely just to... well, go out with a bang.

I don’t think testing his bluff at night is worth it. I’m also a big proponent of Day 2 lynches and so far no better lynch target has emerged than Sidd.

Would like to hear more from @Cyndarin and @Vivet btw.
    Daraius said:
  • Yarith went out on a limb to expose the corruption and graft in our great empire, the least we can do is see it routed out
  • If yarith turns out to be a corrupt liar, we can lynch him tomorrow. I doubt he is.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Halloween weekend so I’m a little busy (hungover). I was visited last night, I believe it was an investigator and they got me white girl wasted, harmless enough. I’ll process the Sidd thing first and post when my liver isn’t in open rebellion 
    Because people have asked for clarification about end times and day rollovers: Day 2 ends tomorrow.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Sorry, I had to try to catch up quickly.

I find Nero to be a sensible claim to make and that it might match up with a false-guilty verdict, but I'm also a little unsure of the power. I'm not 100% convinced that it functions as he's saying or that it matches up with Nero, but I also have to admit that I have a very unusual role power as well - which makes me a little more inclined to believe a claim that ties into a limited power that plays into this special conflict mechanic.

On the flip side, the fact this came up right after the revelation of said conflict mechanic also feels convenient (but it would still have that feeling several dayphases from now if it was revealed then instead, yeah?).

To sum up, I have this feeling he is being honest about having a limited use power. However, I'm not 100% sold on the idea that this power might function as advertised. Limited use powers are usually pretty strong (thus the limit), so if it comes down to a matter of trust, I'm not sure if I want to defend his position too heartily, particularly since I feel like he might still be withholding details.

Why's that, you ask? Well, let's consider the usual patterns we get with limited use powers. Usually it's three charges for middling/decent powers, and a single charge if it is more or less OP, yes? Sidd claimed two charges - twice during the game. What would possess Portius to set that limit instead of a single use? Iunno. Feels kind of off.

• UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Proscribe Sidd

As above. Do believe he's Nero, but don't buy the power claim and simply being an emperor doesn't discredit the investigation results. If it turns out he is town, we know investigations can be unreliable.
    VOTE COUNT:
    Sidd 7-Yarith, Ess, Arix, Ordassa, Sylandra, Tremula, Ushaara

-Virgil, Aeneid 4.13

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Well, I won't go into a lot of details, but I do find Sidd's defense compelling. There is a trend of former emperors being town. 

That being said, it's not that compelling. Power seems completely weird and out of left field, and as I have watched a lot of Judge Judy this weekend, I shall quote her: "If it doesn't make sense, it didn't happen."

Proscribe: Sidd
    Night 2 is over! Night messages will start to go out shortly!
    edited October 2017
    Day 3

The Lupercalia is upon us! Two young men, called the brothers of the wolf, sacrifice a goat and a dog. They anoint themselves in blood, wipe it off with milky wool, and run mostly-naked through the streets. They whip anyone that they meet, and women reach out towards them in the belief that being struck encourages pregnancy.

Most of you ignore the sacred rites. You have more pressing concerns. Conspiracy is running wild through Rome, and none of you know who to trust.

When reach the forum, you notice that Vivet is not among you. You wonder where she is, but one of the luperci solves the mystery soon enough. A church has been stripped of its gold and its holy relic, but it still holds Vivet's headless remains.

------

Vivet was Constantine!

You are famous for being the first Christian emperor. You also excelled as an administrator and military leader, but it is the Christian thing that really matters. You allegedly converted after you saw a vision of the Cross (or some other symbol of Christ, the story varies) and a promise of victory in war. You displayed the sign, and you destroyed your foes.

The sources are in some disagreement about the details, and the broad story is somewhat questionable, but we're taking the ancient sources at face value for this game. Perhaps you'll receive some divine intervention in the game!

Imperator: You were an emperor of Rome, and you will see the eternal city triumph over her enemies. You win with the town!

In hoc signo vinces: The sign of Christ led you to victory in war. Perhaps it shall do the same for your allies. Once per night, you may target any player to add one charge to any limited use abilities that they have, regardless of their alignment.

------------

The Rebels won the Catilinarian Conspiracy!

-----------

Sylandra can be lynched with one less vote than normal this day phase!

----------
    Day 3 begins now!
    12 Players remain! 7 Votes required to lynch!
    One less vote to lynch Sylandra!
    Day 3 ends at 12:30 PM EST on November 3rd!

"Pomona loves the orchard;
    And Liber loves the vine;
    And Pales loves the straw-built shed
    Warm with the breath of kine;
    And Venus loves the whispers
    Of plighted youth and maid,
    In April's ivory moonlight
    Beneath the chestnut shade.

But thy father loves the clashing
    Of broadsword and of shield:
    He loves to drink the steam that reeks
    From the fresh battlefield:
    He smiles a smile more dreadful
    Than his own dreadful frown,
    When he sees the thick black cloud of smoke
    Go up from the conquered town."

-Thomas Babington Macaulay, The Prophecy of Capys
  • Hm. With the death of Vivet I believe that Vatul, Yasei, Kaimanahi, and Cyndarin are the most likely candidates for remaining rebel scum in that order. That is, of course, upon the elimination of Shaddus, who is also a member of the rebel body. At first I was suspicious at the randomly thrown out three word question, but the loose and vague defence of Sidd tipped me towards an investigation, which turned up positive for being a rebel agent. I think it is fair to say that Sylandra is very unlikely to be a member of the rebels, a 1 vote soften seems a very unusual negative for a member of the mafia, even so as a third party.

Needless to say, I Proscribe: Shaddus
    Does anyone have any further information to provide? Perhaps coincidence, but I find the lack of participation of Vatul, Yasei, and Cyndarin in the prior day phase to read a little scummy, and I doubt that any of the mafia members would have immediately jumped upon proscribing Sidd.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • I can only say that Yarith has proven their mettle!

Proscribe: Shaddus
    Not Ess.
    Totally not Ess.
  • I think if the result of the Cataline Conspiracy was successful and Sylandra can be lynched with one less vote, that would indicate Sylandra to be Cicero.

Latin studies teach me that Cicero, driven as he was from pillar to post, was a staunch defender of Rome. 
    Not Ess.
    Totally not Ess.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'm gonna nip this in the bud before it begins, because I was pretty sure Yarith would check me out. I didn't know Sidd was scummy, I just believed his claim of Nero, and I thought he was a fellow miller.

Marcus Cocceius Nerva Caesar Augustus (Nerva) is my name, and I am loyal to Rome. While the Praetorians don't like me (and this makes me look bad), I do have some loyal guards who will investigate other peoples' roles at night. For instance, while I don't know his alignment, I know that Ushaara is a copycat and has taken over the role of Hadrian. 
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.