GUI Help in Mudlet

Hey folks:

I tried looking at the old forums and got some info, but I am looking to develop my GUI in Mudlet.  I found a script that lets me place the Map in the upper right corner.  Anyone know how I tweak the size of the map there in terms of how many rooms to show.

I also want to work up a chat window and a window for wounds.  Anyone got anything for that they would be willing to share?  I vaguely remember trying to use Demonic's tabbed chat before, but I remember having issues with that working with mudlet.

Thanks

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Hi, my name is demonnic and I'm a mudscript-a-holic.

I'd love to know what issues you are/have been having with the tabbed chat. Mudlet is the only client it ought to work for, and for the most part it seems to be fairly easy for folks to set up, but I'm always looking for ways I can make it a little easier. 

If you're looking to create a full, unified HUD style UI, you may want to look into Vyzor, though I have to admit I myself have little first hand experience with it. Akaya from the Mudlet forums has done some pretty neat things with it. As he points out in the post I linked to though, once you go Vyzor you go Vyzor all the way, from your first Mudlet gauge to your last dying day. Or something. 

Geyser is the UI framework I use personally, as I tend to create individual widgets rather than an entire HUD. Still, Geyser can be used to create an entire UI fairly handily. It's just that Vyzor charges out of the gate with that purpose in mind.

Finally, as to tweaking the map for how many rooms to show, did you mean the MAP in-game command, or the Mudlet mapper console? If the former, there's a configuration option for it, though what exactly it is escapes me since I use the Mudlet mapper pretty much exclusively now. If you're referring to the Mudlet mapper then you interact with the console itself using your mouse to zoom in and out, or rotate the map (in 3D mode), etc. The mousewheel (or equivalent for your device) should allow you to zoom in and out quickly and easily.

Apart from that, the biggest advice I can give you is that there will -always- be a fair bit of trial and error in these things, especially when you're first starting out. Decide up front if you intend to let others have access to your GUI or not. While it is nice to share your work, and I personally believe it brings a great deal of satisfaction knowing others find my work useful, if you're not developing for anyone but yourself then you don't need to be quite as scrupulous about making it work on multiple screen sizes, or with other guilds/cities/what have you. Which mostly means you can play a little bit more fast and loose with the code to get it working and then come back around to clean it up later.

But do be sure to get around to the cleaning up part, you'll thank yourself in 6 months when you want to change something and have to look at the code with fresh eyes.

ETA: Naturally, this is all just my own opinions on the matter, and your mileage may vary. I don't claim to be The Expert, or anything. In fact, for UIs in particular I've always felt my stuff was a bit clinky and blocky... but I tend to go in for the "It's a text game, I just need to organize the text for better human parsing" UI style as opposed to the incredibly slick looking stuff some of the other folks have put out.  Also, if you haven't, go have a poke at the Mudlet forums and look over the UI code others have posted there. You may see some things you like in the screenshots people have posted of their work, and if they've included the code they used to make it happen, all the better =)