Ascension of Deichtine

124»

Comments

• edited March 2018
    Shaddus said:

I think one of the problems we're having is that people seem to think PATH SHORTEST is some kind of bug, or hidden command, or something Vadi gave Glomdoring. It's not. It's literally one of the two syntaxes given when you use the Path command; it's what you use when you want to get somewhere fast and you don't care what path you take. 

Path Shortest wasn't bugged. The other path command was bugged (or really, just didn't work because of how the rooms were flagged), and it affected everyone including Glomdoring. So, in essence, Glomdoring (And anyone else who noticed PATH SHORTEST still worked) didn't abuse a bug: they used a syntax that wasn't affected by the bug. Not semantics, but fact. 

------------
    As per the patchnote: PATH SHORTEST was changed not to work in maze-flagged rooms, like the rest of the PATH commands. This implies that the Ghani area where the final trial happened was indeed flagged as maze rooms, and therefore PATH SHORTEST was not supposed to work there. So, yes, PATH SHORTEST is a public command that everyone is allowed access to, but it was not supposed to work for the event, and it was indeed bugged. Not semantics, but fact.

Here, I'll even include the c/p of the whole thing for you:

>--------------------------[ Changelog Entry #1321 ]--------------------------<
       Entered by: Ianir the Anomaly                   Date: 2018-03-17 21:56:09
       o Fixed an issue with PATH SHORTEST bypassing rooms marked as mazes in
       cases it shouldn't (wheras PATH FIND would successfully fail or avoid
       them).

o Several Ascension-specific lag fixes related to mob tracking.

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<

• I think the argument has long run it's course. Please just stop.

I think Tremula's earlier point pretty much nails it for me. I think I can honestly say that in previous years with the CTF format I would be tempted not to even bother turning up if I was a Sealbearer. For my personal taste, that format requires too much a) meta-planning, and b) reliance on all my OOC buddies to turn up. I get that other people like that, but I don't. I don't like group bashing. I don't like group pvp. Therefore I'm never going to like CTF Ascension. This year, Malarious proved that a competent individual could be a serious contender (though arguably only in the chaos of an event in which nobody really knew what was going on), and that's far more my style.

That said, I like the hunger games feel of this latest Ascension, but that's in large part because of the "wtf is happening" factor. If exactly the same event were run again with everyone knowing what to expect, I've got the feeling it would be nowhere near as neat (I mean, we could go so far as to test this by running another Ascension in a parallel universe, right @Estarra? Or was it a nightmare to actually run?).

TL;DR - I would personally prefer to see a different format every year, because I think if there is ONE thing I want to see rewarded it's adaptability under pressure.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Arkh said:
    Shaddus said:

I think one of the problems we're having is that people seem to think PATH SHORTEST is some kind of bug, or hidden command, or something Vadi gave Glomdoring. It's not. It's literally one of the two syntaxes given when you use the Path command; it's what you use when you want to get somewhere fast and you don't care what path you take. 

Path Shortest wasn't bugged. The other path command was bugged (or really, just didn't work because of how the rooms were flagged), and it affected everyone including Glomdoring. So, in essence, Glomdoring (And anyone else who noticed PATH SHORTEST still worked) didn't abuse a bug: they used a syntax that wasn't affected by the bug. Not semantics, but fact. 

------------
    As per the patchnote: PATH SHORTEST was changed not to work in maze-flagged rooms, like the rest of the PATH commands. This implies that the Ghani area where the final trial happened was indeed flagged as maze rooms, and therefore PATH SHORTEST was not supposed to work there. So, yes, PATH SHORTEST is a public command that everyone is allowed access to, but it was not supposed to work for the event, and it was indeed bugged. Not semantics, but fact.

Here, I'll even include the c/p of the whole thing for you:

>--------------------------[ Changelog Entry #1321 ]--------------------------<
       Entered by: Ianir the Anomaly                   Date: 2018-03-17 21:56:09
       o Fixed an issue with PATH SHORTEST bypassing rooms marked as mazes in
       cases it shouldn't (wheras PATH FIND would successfully fail or avoid
       them).

o Several Ascension-specific lag fixes related to mob tracking.

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<

Well done. Now, explain to me how the common player should have known that the rooms were flagged as "maze", and shouldn't have been mechanically able to use path.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • If one of the PATH commands worked while the other didn't, that should have given everyone a enough reason to stop and ask if something might not be working as planned.
  • Why would they notice a path command not working if they started off using the one that worked and just kept using it[cuz it worked so why not?].

FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Eh, if  it's a quest I assum ethere is a counter quest.
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Tylwyth said:
    Eh, if  it's a quest I assum ethere is a counter quest.
    There is!
  • In terms of being a player for only about 3 weeks, seeing the Ascension event was fairly cool. However, re-iterating a little bit of what everyone has said, I wasn't able to help in the slightest. I had absolutely no idea what was going on, and well, to be frank, nobody who was "new" (under level 75//Less than 3 weeks in) really participated.

To add on top of this, the Magical Items of the Artifact Shop, and Dingbat items etc... gave each team a different set of advantages, or none at all.

I think to even the event out, you would need to disable the magical items and become a little more simple. Let player characters play without the added notion of Credit Shop items playing as large of a role as they did.

Of course, I'm not saying everything should be disabled. Leave Runes active and such, but any *Items* that you can use to teleport, move easier, bypass skills and such, etc.. should be disabled. Make it an even playground for all without buying or having fancy items.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    The problem is Ascension is the peak of the year's competitions, people invest time, effort and money into competing. It isn't the most accessible tournament (certain seals not withstanding) but it's meant to be a contest for those at the top, considering the prize for winning.

Yes it's going to feel like you were unable to get into it, but with all due respect, a three week old player (assuming truenewbie) shouldn't be competing in Lusternia's highest prize, plus the change to the system confused a lot of people this year.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited March 2018
    What @Karlach said certainly has a note of truth to it - past ascension events have been set up so that you would typically have one or two representatives selected per alliance out of the 9 sealbearers (assuming one 'preferred' staffholder, one backup), which requires a level of diplomacy and presence on top of everything else.  An individual who has a known presence within the basin would understandably be given preference over a relative unknown that might have gotten a seal through a stroke of luck (or being a lowbie alt of an existing player that they threw into an event 'for the lulz')
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?