Gnomish weapons, feedback and discussion.

2»

Comments

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Rivius said:
    My only request is that this doesn't overpower wonderwands.
    They do less damage than wands, assuming both are fully upgraded. Their strengths lie elsewhere.

Wands aren't obsolete by these, still entirely servicable.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Karlach said:
    Rivius said:
    They do less damage than wands, assuming both are fully upgraded. Their strengths lie elsewhere.

Wands aren't obsolete by these, still entirely servicable.
    Depends on the speed, still waiting on an answer on that.  If they really are 3 seconds, then they do more damage AND split up.
    Depending on how gears work, they may not. See my original post about the folly of multiple damage types vs concentrated against vulnerability.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Karlach said:
    Depending on how gears work, they may not. See my original post about the folly of multiple damage types vs concentrated against vulnerability.
    So what's the speed?

If it's 3 seconds, you could yank out up to three gearboxes (the worst damage typings) and still have higher raw DPS (yes, unaffected by damage typing, but even so).  1075/3 = 358 DPS, vs. the 357 of a wonderwand.

Also, they're talking about allowing you to add multiple boxes of the same type (per Estarra's post) that would let you make a super beefy Divinus (for example) box.

The issue would be fixed by it being a 3.5s balance though.  Slightly lower damage, same speed, but with a ton of splits.  That's why I keep asking what the speed is.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Assuming 1:1, it's just as expensive to remove a gearbox from a weapon as it is to buy a gearbox. 

Who thought that was a good idea? Go ahead, don't be shy.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Check out latest changelogs!
  • edited May 2018
    You know, this artefact single-handedly rescues the pliers from the lowest circles of Nil.

If anybody wanted to post some of the lines up in here that'd be great. Not for damage, just so I can see what the attack messages are.

Ideas for other weapons:

*Psychotic doll - stabs target with its rusty knife, limned in energies determined by the gears (blatant rip from Ready Player One - bite me)
    *Lazy gun (RIP, Iain M Banks)
    *Handbag
    *YoYo (could be confusing tho)

Good changes in the changelogs.

The only remaining thing I have is that I think people should be able to swap out their gearboxes without a cost, I really liked the GET command working on them.  If people want to invest that much into buying multiple sets of gearboxes, by all means, let them!  Making the weapons a 3.5s attack speed fixes my issue with equivalent base damage.  I really don't mind if someone wants to buy a set of 9 Divinus and 9 Fire gearboxes and swaps back and forth at this point.

Alternatively: Fix Pliers pricing to something more reasonable.  I think that one would help with a bunch of stuff, I find them to be really useful myself but it's so hard to justify a 1500 credit investment for that use.
    edited May 2018
    Great changes in the log, having a slight issue with the ATTACH function for gearboxes seemingly not working with canes. (Edit: Fixed, woo!)

I agree that pliers might be a bit heavy to swap in and out on this but I'm not overly concerned about it as things stand, these require a heck of a lot of investment, and I think anyone who can throw that many DBs around could theoretically afford pliers.

Also the fact it's EQ based makes this bard super happy.

• hmm.... need a very nice benefactor to gift me a pile of dingbats...
  • edited May 2018
    but a fat Tae'dae with a parasol would be too Totoro... hmmm.... none of them really scream "fit for a bear-person"...

• Actually, that's not bad...

• AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    edited May 2018
    Tenaka said:
    To rich for my blood 580.00 US to get enough dingbats to make a base weapon. If db's actually came around more than once in a blue moon maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but currently they are just a toy for whales with to many db's to spend.
    I've never, ever, seen anything db wise that I got when an actual dingbat promotion was running. The return value to get 10 db for $40 usd is just not good enough to support something that big fully. I'd personally suggest waiting a month or two and then trading dingbats 1:1 with credits with people on market.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • Aeldra said:
    Tenaka said:
    To rich for my blood 580.00 US to get enough dingbats to make a base weapon. If db's actually came around more than once in a blue moon maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but currently they are just a toy for whales with to many db's to spend.
    I've never, ever, seen anything db wise that I got when an actual dingbat promotion was running. The return value to get 10 db for $40 usd is just not good enough to support something that big fully. I'd personally suggest waiting a month or two and then trading dingbats 1:1 with credits with people on market.
    I really wanted a dingbat promotion, really really badly...but if I'm understanding this promotion right, waiting for my iron membership to kick in will get me $70's worth for $25.
    Amazing beautiful stunning avatar by Gurashi!
    ~
    A gentle breeze ruffles your wings and whispers in your ears, as if for you alone, "Dragonfly's words shine... seeds, sown and tended, inspire... a forest harvest."
    ~
    Maylea reaches out, Her fingers poised in midair. "Now you are of Me, even more than you were before." Her golden and azure eyes glitter. "Walk well, Eldin. Shed glory in My name, and bring life to the lifeless."
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    to clarify my earlier statement. The promotion is not bad, if you can use both credits and dingbats. If you're mainly after dingbats and have no need/wish/use for the credits, then other promotions/iron membership/buying from other players is likely to be more efficient for you.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • I've got to say, in this particular context, the word 'whale' does not appear to mean what some people think it means.
  • BTW, if you bought gearboxes of a certain damage type not knowing you could stack gearboxes with the same damage type, issue yourself with the replica numbers and I'll give a full refund.
  • edited May 2018
    Rivius said:
    Initial/anecdotal report:

I don't really have a means to test side by side, but from what I can tell, they are better. I'm not sure what portion of the speed was from multiple-spammed fireball/dracnari/taurian/viscanti type procs, though.

Gnomish are generally going to struggle to be better in many situations (unless you buy sets of multiple gear dmg types), but if a decent type weakness, it's just faster. I can't say I like or agree with that being the case.
    edited May 2018
    Honestly, if you max it out to a specific damage type, and have proc based damage to accompany it, it'll straight up outdo a wonderwand.

That's before you realise any spare charges get damage shifted into the next hit.

The advantage of a wonderwand, is it can do another damage type, without 9x75 dingbats worth of investment.

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    which is still cheaper...
  • edited May 2018
    Rivius said:
    which is still cheaper...
    I think what he's saying is that in order to make it better than the wonderwand, you would need to invest in 9 gearboxes of each damage type, of which there are 11. That would equal 7k+ dingbats and then you still don't get the other benefits of the wonderwand like portals/cureall/res etc.

You could argue that you only really need 2 damage types but then you're still looking at 1600 dingbats and you're still missing out on the other benefits of the wonderwand.
    What Kali said.

Plus you'd need pliers IIRC to swap them all in and out.

• Just been sort of thinking about it. Credits/db tend to be equal 1to1 and crystals are averaging about 100 credits.

On the high end the wonderwand is cheaper does more damage on hit and comes with a bunch of other nifty tools like being able to do a full heal, weathershield, res, portals and switch damage types easily.

On the low end of the scale 275 credits gets you a whip that does more damage than one gear. Not a big difference but if you've a whip already I wouldn't bother with the gears and if I was buying a low end bashing artifact I'd probally go for whip over the gears.

Yeah they each have their strengths, but straight up if you've a maxed out gnomish weapon, it will outdamage the other two assuming they're all focusing on the same damage type.

And as just about everything and their mother is vulnerable to divinus, it's a good starter.