Likes, Dislikes and Agrees.

KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
Everyone has a counter for these on their account, but clicking it does .. well nothing.

Is there any way that if you click the relevant counter, it can show you which posts please? Browsing through your post history just to see which posts someone decided to suddenly L/D/A is a pain.

Especially if you've the post count of someone like Xenthos.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Being able to more readily track down who pressed the "disagree" button but did not actually do the courtesy of posting a reason why would indeed be nice!
  • You seem to take the disagree label as some kind of insult, when all I think the labels are meant to do is just to tag the posts.
    [BANNERCODE]
    The disagree button is silly.  If you disagree with something, you should write out a note saying why you disagree, imo.  At least have that much courtesy.

Pushing the flag doesn't serve any real purpose.  Make a post!
  • The same could be said about the agree or like button.  I just noticed when I disagree with you (and I make a post), you always make sure to tag my response post with the disagree as well, though if I don't bother tagging it with a disagree you usually don't use the tag.  

Is this some kind of achievement thing that people are now gonna worry about, worrying about who gets more disagrees or likes or agrees in their profile?

[BANNERCODE]
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Yes, I would also like to have the most forum badges, now that you mention it. We need more achievements.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Not really, but it's nice to know really who is interested in your ideas, who isn't. Personally it's less about the "I'M SO POPULAR" and more having people to bounce ideas and get feedback off.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Tully said:
    The same could be said about the agree or like button.  I just noticed when I disagree with you (and I make a post), you always make sure to tag my response post with the disagree as well, though if I don't bother tagging it with a disagree you usually don't use the tag.  

Is this some kind of achievement thing that people are now gonna worry about, worrying about who gets more disagrees or likes or agrees in their profile?

I am fond of the agree / like buttons; it's a really easy way to show support other than "+1" or "I agree" or some snippet that doesn't add anything to the thread at all.

However, if you disagree, saying why you disagree is rather essential; it doesn't add anything to the conversation if you click the disagree button at all, because there's nothing to reply to!  There's just a void on the other side of the topic, a conversational black hole, and it irks me greatly.

At the same time, if you post a disagreement, why even bother with the flag?  You've already made your stance clear and the conversation can proceed apace, to everyone's enjoyment.

(You'll note that I will never flag your posts as a disagreement unless you've flagged one of mine first, for that very reason; I don't feel it adds anything whatsoever, so I just don't use it unless the other person feels differently!)
  • edited February 2013

Shuyin said:
    Yes, I would also like to have the most forum badges, now that you mention it. We need more achievements.
    I know you were just joking (I think), but--Man, I kinda hate the whole "gamification" movement.
    [BANNERCODE]
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Achaea has an lol button. I have nothing else to contribute other than I want an lol button
  • edited February 2013
    I dunno, I think if people can tag agree they can tag disagree and you're not really owed an explanation--it seems equitable behavior--it's almost like "how DARE you disagree with me, I DEMAND to know WHY".  Some people might not feel like arguing about it, just like some don't feel like saying why they agreed. 

As long as the agree/disagree/like buttons don't hide like the flags do, I think they are benign little things.
    [BANNERCODE]
    Tully said:
    I dunno, I think if people can tag agree they can tag disagree and you're not really owed an explanation--it seems equitable behavior--it's almost like "how DARE you disagree with me, I DEMAND to know WHY".  Some people might not feel like arguing about it, just like some don't feel like saying why they agreed. 

As long as the agree/disagree/like buttons don't hide like the flags do...
    Enough likes / agrees make the post more "prominent" (it is a brighter colour).

To me, if you don't feel sure enough about your disagreement to say why you disagree... you really shouldn't be doing so.
    I don't mind people disagreeing with me.  It happens rather regularly.  I kind of look forward to being able to have a discussion.  I might end up agreeing with them, or they with me, or both of us agreeing to disagree, but at least there's that ability to get the feeling for where they stand and why.

Clicking the button and waltzing out of the thread just does not do that.  It leaves you with nowhere to go.
  • I think one can disagree without having an explicit reason. For example, right now - I feel strongly enough to point out I disagree, but there's nothing to really explain!
    Eventru said:
    I think one can disagree without having an explicit reason. For example, right now - I feel strongly enough to point out I disagree, but there's nothing to really explain!
    You did explain it though, that's the thing. The reason doesn't have to be long and convoluted, just knowing where someone's coming from with their mindset is better than playing guessing games.

• edited February 2013
    Morkarion said:

Eventru said:

I think one can disagree without having an explicit reason. For example, right now - I feel strongly enough to point out I disagree, but there's nothing to really explain!

You did explain it though, that's the thing. The reason doesn't have to be long and convoluted, just knowing where someone's coming from with their mindset is better than playing guessing games.

Only because of the nature of the conversation. I probably wouldn't use the disagree button normally, but I'm pretty indifferent about buttons in general, and only indulge in the occasional like/agree when I laugh out loud.

I can certainly see why some people use them, though. My greatest pet peeve is/are the individual(s) who flag every post they don't like/disagree with as "troll". (You know who you are!)
  • I like disagree. It's a useful way to point out a disagreement I have with ideas or arguments, and if I don't post a reason for it, it's because I really shouldn't have to write out a long dissertation about why, for example, demiweight curios are a terrible idea. Furthermore, adding a disagree mark to the post is a good way to show your thoughts about the post immediately. Meaning they can read my response (if it is there) as to why I disagree, or they can ignore the reasoning and still know that I disagree.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited February 2013
    That doesn't devalue the utility of being able to keep track of what exactly it was you posted that people liked or (dis)agreed with. Regardless of what you do with that information (which, in all honesty, is not likely to be demanding explanations), having more accessible information is generally a good thing. If possible, it seems like a nifty change to the forums that should be discussed with those in positions to add that kind of functionality (not Est/Lust staff, I suspect).
  • Eventru said:
    Eventru said:
    Only because of the nature of the conversation. I probably wouldn't use the disagree button normally, but I'm pretty indifferent about buttons in general, and only indulge in the occasional like/agree when I laugh out loud. I can certainly see why some people use them, though. My greatest pet peeve is/are the individual(s) who flag every post they don't like/disagree with as "troll". (You know who you are!)
    There is an intense temptation to reply to this with the Troll button.
    Thing is you can already see on the post who liked/disliked/agreed. I can't see the issue with asking for what looks like the premise of a catalogue function to actually be one.

Just a quality of life thing really.

• I'm going to be honest, that's not something that we can really control and is up to the forum company people. I imagine its also not really high on their priority list either.

Also, when you frivolously flag posts with things like troll/abuse/spam it sends it into the moderation queue and gives me a notification that just will not go away no matter how hard I beg or how much I cry. So please don't just flag things unless you have a good reason or you will make me a sad panda.

Ah, I wasn't aware if this was an IRE coded forum that you guys had control over the input of as opposed to an external.

Also the concept of Zvoltz crying seems... I can't mentally picture it, someone do an artisanal of this please. (Though I agree, using the troll/spam/abuse flags for posts you disagree with is pretty pointless)

• ZyphoraZyphora :: the sun in her splendour ::
    Please make that your avatar.

• We all know those are fake tears. Your real tears are tiny plasma balls.

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• edited February 2013
    For reference, the software the forums use is vanilla forums.

[BANNERCODE]
  • PS--Why does Zvoltz look like Johnny Rotten?
    [BANNERCODE]