God Blogs

Comments

• Lisaera said:
    After a few solid months of truly loving every experience I've shared with you, here is a glimpse into the Other Side of the patron/player relationship: http://www.lusternia.com/the-kind-of-work-a-patron-does

Even if this kinda of thing isn't that much of a secret (the general overview at least), it is nice to see how some gods work in regards to what they all do and how they interact with players and their order. And I think most of those in orders will like to think that when their (active) god goes quiet for a while, that they are plotting something awesome for the order (*cough* @Jadice *cough* ), rather than help other gods with things.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited July 2014
    Sorry if I offended you with my request, it's so infrequent that we have an active patron... and without an active patron, it's really hard to get anything really substantial done, so once a god shows activity, everyone jumps on them for patronship!

I wish that an organization (either city/commune, guild, or family) could select their patron based only on roleplay functions, without there being any OOC/backstage work implications, like having Auseklis as patron, but having whoever has the time or interest do the latest expansion or what have you. It'd be nice to be able to do large scale cooperative/planned RP like historical family without having to burden already stretched volunteers.
  • Enyalida said:
    Sorry if I offended you with my request, it's so infrequent that we have an active patron... and without an active patron, it's really hard to get anything really substantial done, so once a god shows activity, everyone jumps on them for patronship!

I wish that an organization (either city/commune, guild, or family) could select their patron based only on roleplay functions, without there being any OOC/backstage work implications, like having Auseklis as patron, but having whoever has the time or interest do the latest expansion or what have you. It'd be nice to be able to do large scale cooperative/planned RP like historical family without having to burden already stretched volunteers.
    There was no offense at all! I was planning on writing something like this for a few days. It was actually inspired by a conversation I had with the other gods right around the time I got my wings, so to speak. I also didn't intend at all to make it sound accusatory or in any way like we're drowning in work all the time. It was meant purely to inform. Patroning is a really cool gig, but every now and then, we need to establish parameters. 

I definitely wouldn't give up with that request. 
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Okay, cool. 

Most of the players I've talked to/interacted with have always considered Patron to be almost entirely OOC, like how Envoys are for guilds. You sort of have vague prestige as Envoy, but there usually isn't any real RP consideration for the post, as it's primarily a mechanical thing. Like I said, having some way to pick an absent god (for the RP) but flag that you'd still like checking in on/having a good way to submit writing for new expansions and org-based plotlines would be great, if such a thing could be in the cards. Then Patron could be a much more roleplay based selection!
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    I would read an epic poem detailing the fight against Shanthmark bugs. Especially if you actually put it in verse. Is bug fixing type stuff what takes the most of your time?
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    You must love my bug list, then. :o
  • X_X

Ps. They're very detailed though, it helps.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    I'd like to take this moment to apologise for the list of things I've broken and any headaches I may have caused.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Drocilla said:
    X_X

Ps. They're very detailed though, it helps.
    I do try very hard to document as much as I can (or if I can't figure out why, to apologize for not being able to give more details).  I absolutely loathe getting bug reports at work that basically go, "the colour is wrong, please fix it."  Um.  What colour?  Where?  What screen?  Is it related to a patient?  To an order?  Please give me something to go on!
  • Man, I got a ticket once saying from one of the team leaders saying. "One of my staff is having issues with their account."

I wrote the most passive aggressive message ever as I closed that ticket.
  • edited July 2014

It's also awful when you're bug-fixing something you wrote years ago, when you were young and naive and wrote horrifically inefficient quests that are a nightmare to decipher and de-bug two years in the future. It can take hours just to figure out what the various lines you wrote are supposed to...well, do. It might as well be a stranger's design. :(

Personally, daily OOC/IC errands tend to be my biggest time-eaters. You can log in and handle your respective Oneiroi/Camenae/Charites/EphManager/ArtBard work, and then have patron work, order work, and personal bug fixes on the back burner! It's truly amazing how quickly projects add up. Being a Patron is certainly more OOC than IC in the nature of its responsibilities, but of course that's exactly what it is: a set of more responsibilities. Being patient with your resident Divine is always appreciated, as you often can't see just how much they're plodding away at behind the scenes. It's a blessing to have another admin to work with in your org for that reason--it halves the workload! (PS: @Jadice, I love you, plz don't ever leave me. I will always paint you penguins and snowflakes. <3)
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Being Quality Control at my job, I have people all the time dropping work in my area and leaving it without an explanation as to why it's there, or what to do with it, or even what's wrong with if.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Whatever you do, just don't take on so much that you get burned out. :(
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited July 2014
    Isune said:

It's also awful when you're bug-fixing something you wrote years ago, when you were young and naive and wrote horrifically inefficient quests that are a nightmare to decipher and de-bug two years in the future. It can take hours just to figure out what the various lines you wrote are supposed to...well, do. It might as well be a stranger's design. :(

Personally, daily OOC/IC errands tend to be my biggest time-eaters. You can log in and handle your respective Oneiroi/Camenae/Charites/EphManager/ArtBard work, and then have patron work, order work, and personal bug fixes on the back burner! It's truly amazing how quickly projects add up. Being a Patron is certainly more OOC than IC in the nature of its responsibilities, but of course that's exactly what it is: a set of more responsibilities. Being patient with your resident Divine is always appreciated, as you often can't see just how much they're plodding away at behind the scenes. It's a blessing to have another admin to work with in your org for that reason--it halves the workload! (PS: @Jadice, I love you, plz don't ever leave me. I will always paint you penguins and snowflakes. <3)

Absolutely. At the end of the day, for all of the reasons we've highlighted, the promise of a little give and take can go a long way for the god to agree to patron something extra. A whispered prayer at the end of a meal or a few extra bashing trips, perhaps. Maybe even a contest or two where the deity's tenets are written in prose. Some kind of demonstration of thanks for all the hard work. I suppose that's what we mean when we say that although a patron is mostly behind-the-scenes assistance, the moments when they get to interact with that org directly are so much sweeter when they happen. 
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Even after all these divine chores, @Viravain still finds time to sharpen Her scythe. That's my bosslady!  ^:)^
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Jadice said:
    Ayisdra said:
    Lisaera said:
    After a few solid months of truly loving every experience I've shared with you, here is a glimpse into the Other Side of the patron/player relationship: http://www.lusternia.com/the-kind-of-work-a-patron-does

Even if this kinda of thing isn't that much of a secret (the general overview at least), it is nice to see how some gods work in regards to what they all do and how they interact with players and their order. And I think most of those in orders will like to think that when their (active) god goes quiet for a while, that they are plotting something awesome for the order (*cough* @Jadice *cough* ), rather than help other gods with things.
    Perhaps at a future point I will write a god blog expanding upon this sentiment, but for now just let me say: there is SO much more to do behind the scenes than I imagined when applying to be an admin! I'm glad I never feel superfluous, but Isune and Lis are right when they say that the projects build up quickly. 

@Ayisdra, I will make two not-unconnected statements. 1. Those who follow a Meditator should expect periodic and not-infrequent silences. 2. I can tentatively confirm that I am plotting what I believe to be awesome things. 

I'm aware of that fact and enjoy any interactions, even if it can only be a hello on order channels. I'm just an impatient person and don't like having to wait to see awesome things.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Jadice said:
     I will make two not-unconnected statements. 1. Those who follow a Meditator should expect periodic and not-infrequent silences. 2. I can tentatively confirm that I am plotting what I believe to be awesome things. 
    Are you making Hallimonks?
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Daraius said:

Jadice said:
     I will make two not-unconnected statements. 1. Those who follow a Meditator should expect periodic and not-infrequent silences. 2. I can tentatively confirm that I am plotting what I believe to be awesome things. 

That depends! Are you recruiting new monkish players? :0

The creation of a new guild must be okay'd by Estarra, and Her biggest concern with releasing Gaudimonks and Hallimonks has always been population. I suspect that the Overhaul is also a deterring factor right now.
  • I wouldn't mind hearing how the respective Divine feel about the current status and direction of their organizations.  IC and OOC.  I know that back in the early days, the opinions of @Fain and @Raezon were always listened to and either they would appear themselves or send an Order Rep in their place to organizational meetings.  
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Isune said:That depends! Are you recruiting new monkish players?
    Gimme a referral link and permission to repost my bardic submissions to other parts of the internet and I shall see what I can do.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Isune said:
    Jadice said:
    That depends! Are you recruiting new monkish players? :0 The creation of a new guild must be okay'd by Estarra, and Her biggest concern with releasing Gaudimonks and Hallimonks has always been population. I suspect that the Overhaul is also a deterring factor right now.
    No rush, seriously. I would be a little worried if Hallimonks were actually in the works right now.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Drocilla said:
    Ayisdra said:

Players have the general idea and I've been meaning to write a "A day in the life of" style blog on the topic to clarify some of the admin-side details but then I realised the daily struggle against bugs, typos, issues, and everything else would be a rather dull affair to read. @Lisaera's take is much more interesting so the epic poem regaling my 4 hour battle with Shanthmark's village quest bugs will remain in my heart.

I strongly disagree Drocilla. A day in the life of/slice of life Divine would make very interesting reading. As evidence, I submit that the thread has gathered more player readership and posts as the divine began writing about behind the scenes mechanics of their jobs.