Artifact Ideas

Comments

• I mean rad on its own without artifacts supports the fortress meta.
  • This just in, timeslip stopwatch is pretty good. I'm still a little salty though.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Veyils said:
    Enyalida said:
    You have to know ahead of time where those people are (somehow) and strategem shielding as you move adjacent to them. And hope they don't have any beckoners to beckon you away anyways. If they have both, you don't counter it.

se;block w;ts

Trigger to do that and problem solved for beckon and rad.

EDIT: ts is my invoke circle alias.
    You can't block yourself being beckoned. So it would require two people to do that at the exact same time, which is beyond the scope of "What can I do to counter this?". 
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited February 2017
    Enyalida said:
    Veyils said:
    Enyalida said:
    You have to know ahead of time where those people are (somehow) and strategem shielding as you move adjacent to them. And hope they don't have any beckoners to beckon you away anyways. If they have both, you don't counter it.

se;block w;ts

You can't block yourself being beckoned. So it would require two people to do that at the exact same time, which is beyond the scope of "What can I do to counter this?". 
    You can't be beckoned if off-bal / off-eq because it is a movement check... so, um, yes.  You can stop yourself being beckoned (by shielding - edit: or sitting, but that disables block so it's not useful if you are blocking).  Of course, if you don't keep yourself off-eq then they can beckon you after that if you are the only blocker.
  • Enyalida said:
    Veyils said:
    Enyalida said:

se;block w;ts

Enter the room, shield, that shield counters rad, your off equi so cant walk out and the second person comes in at the same time and does the same to double block.

Problem solved right?

Or you can add in timeslip as maligorn said to help with it.

So well there's a few ways to counter it for you.

Its nice to learn something new isnt it?
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Tarken also mentioned this:
    You begin to writhe helplessly, throwing your body off balance.
    15525h, 11737m, 9390e, 9p, 26660en, 26660w mBelrk<>-writhe

15525h, 11737m, 9390e, 10p, 26660en, 26660w mBelrk<>-writhe

15525h, 11737m, 9390e, 10p, 26660en, 26660w mBelrk<>-
    Dylara tries to leave, but you block her from moving that way.
    15525h, 11737m, 9390e, 10p, 26660en, 26660w mBelrk<>-writhe

15525h, 11737m, 9390e, 10p, 26660en, 26660w mBelrk<>-
    (Much later)
    You have recovered balance on all limbs.

So you can keep yourself off-bal as much as you want, you can re-up it without ever gaining balance back, and it's a pretty short balance for each individually so as long as you don't spam it up too much you can be back on-bal pretty quickly.

Obviously 2 blockers is way, way better, but it's not like you're completely stuck with just one.
  • Upgrade for tam to reduce classflex time to 1,5, or 10 hours.
    Would pay 500 cr for it.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    It seems logical to make it once a game month like changeling cameos.

• AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    if the tam would be allowing flexing at least once per ooc day, I'd be more inclined to get the upgrade.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • edited February 2017
    Edit: nevermind, I misread Aeldra's post.

• Once per ig month feels like it should be the base and once per ig day the upgrade.

It would make it match up with the intaglio.
  • Motes of Memory - items that record all emotes and says in a room for a span of time for later playback. Aka pensieves >_> Could be used to record special events like weddings or for sneaky spycraft! This would be a fun cool way to record special moments and for new players to see some of the awesome roleplay they are in store for.

(I think the tech for this may be possible, as Aetolia had a similar item given as a commemorative item for one of the anniversary events.)

Single-use artifacts: a mote of memory (5-25 credits per)

- MOTE EMBED: embeds the mote in the room. SURVEY shows if a mote has been embedded in a room, to give counterplay to these being used as spying tools!
    - MOTE AWAKEN: awakens the mote to begin recording the memory (perhaps can be done remotely, for use of these for espionage?)
    - MOTE REMEMBER: ends the recording and saves the memory as permanent
    - MOTE FORGET: ends the recording and resets mote to inventory

Manse artifact: a mirror of memory (50-100 credits)

- MIRROR ADD: Add a mote to the mirror
    - MIRROR GET #: Remove a mote from the mirror
    - MIRROR LIST: Shows a list of all motes
    - MIRROR NAME # <name>: Name a mote
    - MIRROR PLAY #: Replay a mote

Guilds could also get gold upgrades to buy a mirror and perhaps have a way to buy motes with guild funds to record guild rituals.

Alternative idea: Add a NPC selling the motes for gold for a gold sink.
  • @Breandryn , you know what it would be used for!

Naughty girl!
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    edited February 2017
    Effortless-Sautee Stovetop - For double balance, allows you to COOK, BAKE, BREW, and MULL as if you were in a kitchen. Requires coal and must be lit, but cannot create mercury.
    My Little Lapidary Set - For double balance, allows you to CRAFT, MELT, and GEMCUT/MASTERCUT anywhere as if you were at a jeweller's bench. Requires a powerstone to fuel the lamp.
    Fine Farriers' Forge - For double balance, allows you to FORGE, SMELT, TEMPER, and CRAFT as if at a smith's forge. Requires coal and must be lit, but cannot create mercury.
    Abuela's Sewing Basket - For double balance, allows you to SEW and MEND as if at a tailor's workbench.
    Junior Alchemist Set - Although it can only hold up to 60 sips' worth at a time, this will allow you to AMALGAMATE potions as if you were at a full alchemist's workshop.
    Enchanting Chalk - DRAW CIRCLE to ENCHANT as if you were at an enchanter's circle, albeit at double the equilibrium cost.
    a sturdy collapsable chair - For double the balance cost, allows a tattooist to tattoo a willing client anywhere. The client must AGREE to the initial tattooing command.
    PetitePress Portable Publisher - Allows for BOOKBIND and origami folding to be done anywhere, for twice the balance cost.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    (Just a little FYI, you can mend jewellery and clothes away from their respective benches, you can also fold origami anywhere.)

• Elryn said:
    Not sure if this exists yet, but could we have an artifact that shows the types of damage done by attacks against yourself? How about something similar to the alethiometer from the Golden Compass:
    <b>A runic golden algiometer: 150 dingbats/3000 goop</b><br>&nbsp; &nbsp;- When worn, this remarkable gnomish device will display in gorgeous detail 
         the precise nature of every attempt to kill you.<br>&nbsp; &nbsp;- Shows you the damage types of any attacks made against you by denizens or 
         other players.
    Example:
    Elryn holds his garland out and channels the force of nature through himself. 
    Small brown patches appear all over you and you feel yourself decomposing rapidly 
    as your flesh and sinew rots and composts in an instant, falling to the ground 
    in a stream of mulch.<br><i>The hands of a runic golden algiometer point to a magical glyph (100%).</i><br><br>Elryn's great form creaks and groans as he wraps his branches about you and smashes 
    you against his great trunk in a tight hug, your left arm cracking painfully.<br><i>The hands of a runic golden algiometer point to a blunt glyph (50%), then an 
    asphyxiation glyph (50%).</i>

So it's kind of like the magic tome effect, just with only a description shown to the player affected.

Edit: Oh! And I'd love to add variations (either aethergoop based or otherwise) so that it actually shows different glyphs (an algiometer of the cycles might show a summer glyph for fire, winter glyph for cold, etc). But then that might make the message + work to create the thing a bit too much.
    Just in case this helps (and because I really want one of these!), here are some proposed goop skins for the artifact:

a runic golden algiometer
    Runic inscriptions glinting in the light, a golden algiometer has been discarded here.
    Plated in a richly polished gold, when closed this round and flat metallic device bears a remarkable resemblance to a large pocketwatch. Runic markings and geometric curves have been carefully inscribed into the gold of the casing, laced with esoteric and unknowable meaning, while a small semicircular band of the precious metal positioned at the crown functions both as a latch for the delicate chain attached as well as a spring that unlocks the front side of the algiometer. The interior face of the device is inlaid with a pristine white enamel, onto which a ring of beautifully detailed glyphic symbols has been set in glittering lapis lazuli and onyx. An incredibly tiny and elegant arrow of gold metal forms the single hand of the dial, anchored in the centre and occasionally jumping between the glyph positions in complex and chaotic gyrations.

<div>cutting &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;- "a blade glyph"</div><br><div>blunt &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;- "a rock glyph"</div><br><div>magic &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;- "a wand glyph"</div><br><div>fire &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; - "a flame glyph"</div><br><div>cold &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; - "an ice glyph"</div><br><div>electricity &nbsp;- "a lightning glyph"</div><br><div>poison &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; - "a fang glyph"</div><br><div>asphyxiation - "a wind glyph"</div><br><div>divinus &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;- "a star glyph"</div><br><div>excoro &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; - "a demon glyph"</div><br><div>unblockable &nbsp;- "an infinity glyph"</div>

an algiometer of dark foreshadowing
    Seeming to draw in darkness like a shroud, a shadowed metallic algiometer rests here.
    Cast entirely in a black, polished metal that reflects your surroundings in oddly distorted shapes, this round and flat gnomish device appears similar to a large pocketwatch. Strange grooves and jagged channels have been etched into the metal of the outer casing that resist any attempts to follow patterns with the mind, while a stylized scythe of dull silver forms the crown on top through which a glinting metallic chain is attached. Pressing the scythe causes the front of the algiometer to spring open, revealing a shadowy face of dark volcanic glass. Spaced around the outer rim are glyphic inscriptions cast in gleaming gold and silver metals, depicting frightening tarot-like imagery.
    <div><br></div><div>cutting &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;- "a glyph of the Black Knight"</div><br><div>blunt &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;- "a glyph of a Bloody Gauntlet"</div><br><div>magic &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;- "a glyph of the Warlock"</div><br><div>fire &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; - "a glyph of a Witch's Pyre"</div><br><div>cold &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; - "a glyph of a Frozen Shade"</div><br><div>electricity &nbsp;- "a glyph of the Animated Corpse"</div><br><div>poison &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; - "a glyph of the Thief"</div><br><div>asphyxiation - "a glyph of the Hanged Man"</div><br><div>divinus &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;- "a glyph of Crucifixion"</div><br><div>excoro &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; - "a glyph of the Demon Lord"</div><br><div>unblockable &nbsp;- "a glyph of Kethuru"</div>

a glowing amber algiometer
    Pulsing occasionally with a warm inner luminescence, an amber algiometer has been left here.
    Captured in polished, faceted amber that refracts the available light in a spray of golden sparkles, this round and flat gnomish device bears a notable resemblance to a large pocketwatch. The orange stone is translucent and a faint glow pulses from within the crystalline structure like a steady heartbeat. A wooden crown shaped like leafy branches allows a simple braided leather chain to be attached, and also functions as a spring to open the front of the algiometer. Inside, a gleaming moonstone enamel covers the face of the algiometer, while a band of colourful markings encircle the outer face with glyphs of beautiful natural imagery. A slender piece of bone has been carved into a single dial hand, that jumps from one scene to another when the device is held.

<div>cutting &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;- "a glyph of antlers"</div><br><div>blunt &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;- "a glyph of an ancient tree"</div><br><div>magic &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;- "a glyph of the crescent moon"</div><br><div>fire &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; - "a glyph of a willowisp"</div><br><div>cold &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; - "a glyph of winter skies"</div><br><div>electricity &nbsp;- "a glyph of summer storms"</div><br><div>poison &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; - "a glyph of an emerald snake"</div><br><div>asphyxiation - "a glyph of a crystal waterfall"</div><br><div>divinus &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;- "a glyph of a sacred stone"</div><br><div>excoro &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; - "a glyph of the starry night"</div><br><div>unblockable &nbsp;- "a glyph of a ghostly shade"</div>

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Can't help but notice that there are a lot of guns in Lusternia. Not gunpowder guns, but magitech guns. Void blasters, beam generators, pyrocannons, and so on. I think gnomes have their own blasters too, so not inherently linked to extensive training in a class. At very least, the gnomish ones should be usable by everyone.

In light of this, I would like some sort of gun artifact to use as a base for customizations. "Blaster" is probably the best known for it, but I'd be happy with anything that's clearly gun-like. You can sort of do this now by customizing one of those bashing weapons, but that restricts you to a single skill with your gun.

Suggestions for types of artifact:

-Aethergoop reskins of the bashing whips.

-Blaster that counts as the bashing weapon of every class. Convenient for classflexing.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Not sure if this is too much, but:

Great Rune of Metamorphosis
     - Can only be applied to the Cameo of the Changeling and its aethergoop variants.
     - Once a month, allows a Changeling to CHANGELING MORPH (FIRST|SECOND|THIRD) TRAIT INTO <race>, not changing your underlying race but swapping one of your non-demigod racial traits with those of a different species. This lasts until you change into another race.
     - You cannot conceal your Changeling nature when morphed.
     - A cameo can have up to three of these runes attached, each allowing an extra trait to be changed each month.
     - Does not allow selecting demigod or enhanced demigod racial traits, nor traits from races to which you would not otherwise have access.
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Not going to lie, was really hoping there would be an artifact to make your race Sileni, alas, none exists.
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Another artifact idea that I'm sure has been suggested before...

... an artifact to remove the malus from not being the same org as your divine patron. Make it 500 creds, 750 credits, make it apply to only one deity, I don't care, but can this exist already? Please?
  • Infini-Last Pliers: 75 credits
       - A one-time-use version of the Pliers of Clangorum.
       - See also: Pliers of Clangorum.

Pliers of Clangorum: 1500 credits
       - These pliers are the ultimate artifact insofar that they
         can be used on other artifacts. They allow the owner to freely
         remove artifact runes (including weapon runes) from their own
         items so they can be moved onto others.
       - Syntax: DETACH RUNE <number> from <object>

I'll just reiterate my *deep* confusion over these artefacts. I can't decide if I hate the rune system or this specific artefact more. I can think of literally two ways in which MKO was better than Lusty, and this is one of them: Over there, you put a rune on your [item]. You can remove the rune any time you like, but the item is destroyed. It was just so much better.

Lusty is different and better, and I'm never an advocate of copy/pasta across IREs, but I'm simply trying to illustrate that there may be better ways to deal with this mechanic. I'm also not in the WAAAAHDON'TWANNAPAY crowd - I'm happy to spend money on Lusty, but I sure won't be spending 1500 credits on this artefact.

/rant
  • Versalean said:
    <pliers stuff>
    /rant
    The original idea was that pliers would have been auction only, but given so many warriors wanted (and needed) them so they wouldn't have to buy more than one set of the old weapon runes, it was offered as a general artifact. I'm not sure how needed they are in today's age of overhauled weapons. Assuming that people don't have multiple sets of the same rune, I would say they are probably only worth <200 credits personally, but as not a PKer, my value estimate on things is much lower.

• Okay. Totally agree with your estimation of their value. But if it was originally auction only I guess they have to price it higher to not screw over the auction winners. Thanks for clarifying, @Ayisdra.
  • edited February 2017
    Versalean said:
    Okay. Totally agree with your estimation of their value. But if it was originally auction only I guess they have to price it higher to not screw over the auction winners. Thanks for clarifying, @Ayisdra.
    Oh, you misunderstood, @Versalean. They were never actually an auction artifact. They were originally going to be auction, but Estarra asked "if three people would be willing to pay what I think they would be valued at, I will release them as a general artifact instead". Which is what happened, Est valued them at 1500 and people were willing to pay that. I believe a full set of weapon runes were around 3K credits when they were a thing and people needed at least two sets (one bashing set and one pvp set), which I think is probably a decent price for the pliers in those times.
  • edited February 2017
    Versalean said:
    Infini-Last Pliers: 75 credits
       - A one-time-use version of the Pliers of Clangorum.
       - See also: Pliers of Clangorum.

Pliers of Clangorum: 1500 credits
       - These pliers are the ultimate artifact insofar that they
         can be used on other artifacts. They allow the owner to freely
         remove artifact runes (including weapon runes) from their own
         items so they can be moved onto others.
       - Syntax: DETACH RUNE <number> from <object>

I'll just reiterate my *deep* confusion over these artefacts. I can't decide if I hate the rune system or this specific artefact more. I can think of literally two ways in which MKO was better than Lusty, and this is one of them: Over there, you put a rune on your [item]. You can remove the rune any time you like, but the item is destroyed. It was just so much better.

Lusty is different and better, and I'm never an advocate of copy/pasta across IREs, but I'm simply trying to illustrate that there may be better ways to deal with this mechanic. I'm also not in the WAAAAHDON'TWANNAPAY crowd - I'm happy to spend money on Lusty, but I sure won't be spending 1500 credits on this artefact.

/rant

See if your smart with majority of runes you can put them on stuff every class can use. So these 75 pliers are basically a tax on newbies who put the rune on the wrong thing.  That said I had to buy two for that specific reason.
  • Okay, I'm finally on the correct page. And, yes, part of my butthurt over the price of the pliers is that the only reason I need them is that I didn't initially understand the rune system well enough to put them on the right item.

That being the case should we really have a system/artefact whose only purpose in the current setup is to 'punish' (intentionally or otherwise) people newbies who put the rune on the wrong thing?
  • Agreed. I'm missing having artifact powers here. That is a nice feature other IREs have that lets you purchase the power itself for items directly, so you could just stack all your powers on one item if you wanted to for simplicity. 
  • Versalean said:
    Okay, I'm finally on the correct page. And, yes, part of my butthurt over the price of the pliers is that the only reason I need them is that I didn't initially understand the rune system well enough to put them on the right item.

That being the case should we really have a system/artefact whose only purpose in the current setup is to 'punish' (intentionally or otherwise) people newbies who put the rune on the wrong thing?
    I would also like to point out, that the runes here make everything permanent too, so once you put a rune on something, you're stuck with it. Making a rune removable, would encourage people to change outfits more often. Or even, just let things decay like normal, so if a newbie put something on the wrong item, they'll get it back eventually. and if you want to change your look eventually, you can.