maybe coming back -- maybe changing org?

So, I haven't played in a while. Before that I had a few long periods of activity, started wayyyyy back during public beta. So I'm an oldbie. But I haven't really been super-active any time since even Hallifax and Gaudiguch re-appeared.

I'm thinking of making a change, having been a long-time Magnagoran (with a pretty long period of Glomdoring in there too). I'd like to stay as a Guardian, so i'm looking at moving to one of the new cities, and going into either the Researchers or Illuminati. I kinda love the role-play idea of both these guilds, though I'm not super turned on by Harmonics, at least not looking at it on paper. Just doesn't necessarily make me go whoa.

So in general, what sort of new things would I need to know to get back into the swing of things? I know last time I tried briefly to come back I had to figure out all new vials. I kinda know there are tattoos now but don't know if they're important. Bunch of other new stuff. :)

What's the political landscape like? Would I just be hated and turned away if I tried to emigrate from Magnagora to either Hallifax or Gaudiguch? And finally, if anybody cares, sell me on either one of these choices, or sell me on sticking around the Nihilists! I know the last couple times I tried to come back it was just something not clicking for me, RP-wise or mechanics-wise, and maybe a change will do me good.

And anyway, I doubt anyone remembers me, but if you do, hi!

Comments

• As far as I can see, the political scene is changing.  The Equinox, which used to be Hallifax, Celest, and Glomdoring, became just between Celest and Glomdoring a RL year ago when Hallifax succeeded from the Trinity.  Then a RL month ago, Celest ended the alliance with Glomdoring.

Right now, it looks like the two sides are shaping up to be Hallifax/Serenwilde/Celest vs. Gaudiguch/Glomdoring/Magnagora.

For curatives, there are vials, and I know some of the older people that came back recently have been confused by the liquid rift and teardrop sigils, but basically you can link all your vials to the liquid rift so you don't have to carry around a lot of vials (but you still can).  Tattoos give up to 10 damage weighting boost or 10 damage absorbing boost (so up to 10%, if you had 0 damage boost or absorption).  You can have up to 759 weight (but it rounds down, so basically up to 75 points worth of boost or absorption divided how you wish.

There are curios, which are little collectable items that you can put together.  They offer a few points of damage boost or absorption as well.
  • edited February 2013
    This is what TOPGUILDS looks like in game right now:

Guild               Novice Score  Member Score   Vote Rating
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Nihilists            0               62               3
    Illuminati           4               53               0
    Paladins             0               49               4
    Tahtetso             0               45               2
    Ur'Guard             1               40               0
    Minstrels            0               38               0
    Shofangi             0               35               0
    Aquamancers          0               34               0
    Aeromancers          0               31               2
    Serenguard           1               30               3
    Templars             0               23               0
    Harbingers           0               23               0
    Ebonguard            1               23               0
    Pyromancers          2               21               1
    Ninjakari            1               21               0
    Nekotai              0               20               0
    Institute            0               20               0
    Blacktalon           6               20               0
    Moondancers          1               19               1
    Celestines           0               19               0
    Cantors              0               18               1
    Shadowdancers        0               16               0
    Hartstone            3               14               1
    Cacophony            0               14               3
    Symphonium           0               13               1
    Spiritsingers        2               11               0
    Geomancers           0               10               0
    Sentinels            5               2                0
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I know this is not an accurate indicator of how things will shape up to become, but I haven't really seen many people from Hallifax since I started playing two months ago.  There have been more people since the release of Aerochemantics (which is a second specialization that Aeromancers can take).  Aquachemantics and Wildewood have also been released pretty recently, which are specializations of Aquamancy and Stag (druidry) respectively.

Go to the Researchers if you'd like to help make an impact and try to get everyone more involved!  Or you can come to the Illuminati, which I must say are pretty awesome (though I am a little biased, being one myself).  I've tried to answer your question though as out of characterly as I could, since ultimately, this is just about what you'd like and what you envisioned for your character, and not what I'd like or envisioned for my own.
  • edited February 2013
    The Nihilists are consistently one of the most active guilds in the game. Their RP and leadership are top notch. They recently formed a covenant with the Cacophony so now they rock that much harder (Wrack and Roll!).

You won't have any trouble getting into Halli or Gaudi if you want to move though. People coming back from extended breaks are given a fair amount of leeway when they return.

The bottom line though is that Lusternia is a game and you have to do what you enjoy or you'll get bored and leave.

If you want to stay a Priest of Nil with lots of support and people to RP with then Nihilists are the way to go. 

If you want to strike out on your own as a crystal based scientist in a quirky bureaucratic city and help revive the Institute then there is that.

Illuminati were a pk cheese guild for a while until they were toned down. So many people popped in and out of there just for the easy upper hand. I'm sure they have RP and other redeeming qualities but I can't speak to them.

Talk to people IG though, ask them about their guilds where they are going what's going on and about their view points and opinions. It's best to hear it from them.

• I agree. If I want to gauge the RP atmosphere of a guild or city, I just go there a few times and strike up conversation! No one can give you a better idea of what the people are like in an organization than the people themselves. Have some fun questions prepared and go wild.
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:
    "THE DEMON LORDS CAN NEVER TRULY BE KILLED - GREAT IS THEIR POWER."

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• Wow, funny coincidence. I was also a beta tester, and have been a Magnagora Nihilist from day 1. I don't recall when my last activity was, but the last time I played at all was in 2008.

My character was a Seeker of the Matrix who was trying to find a way to bring Hallifax back.... looks like I missed THAT boat.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    The Illuminati in Gaudiguch are always open to receiving new members. We've got a stellar advancement system, an excellent God, a...lively city, and some great leadership except for the lazy Champ who just murders people and churns curios.

Plus our skills are super fun. We have tentacles. And people like to whine about us so much. If that's your thing.
  • Shuyin said:
    The Illuminati in Gaudiguch are always open to receiving new members. We've got a stellar advancement system, an excellent God, a...lively city, and some great leadership except for the lazy Champ who just murders people and churns curios.

Plus our skills are super fun. We have tentacles. And people like to whine about us so much. If that's your thing.

Hey, that lazy champ does save our skins every so often!
  • I just came back from a really long dormancy myself.  While I can't speak for the other orgs, let me say, Hallifax has been amazing to me.  People have been really supportive and helpful during my return, and I can't say I've been this excited to play Lusternia in a long time.  Maybe you'd get the same vibe in other orgs, maybe not, but I know that if you want to get back into playing, Hallifax will get you addicted to this game again.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.