Frustation, Combat, Stupid Affliction and Poor Game Design.

Okay, so I'm not a very happy person right now. Earlier during the Etherwilde raid I somehow manage to lose my pack. Said pack had roughly 614,000 gold in it. How did I lose said pack, well you might have guessed it from the title of this post, Stupid affliction and a horrible game design. Having afflictions that make you drop items while in combat it bad enough, but when you are dealing with raid situations where there are well over 20 people all fighting, the changes of realize you dropped something is freaking impossible. I despise poor game mechanics that make it possible for people to lose hours of work without even realizing.

Tandus

Comments

• I definitely agree with the "drop pack" action being removed from Stupidity Its just a ridiculous thing.

That being said, how much have you asked around for the pack? If you dropped it from stupidity and someone acquisitio'd it, odds are they didn't even notice picking it up. And it's my experience that people will return stuff to you in those situations; I got 2000 of my herbs back when I got jumped by Mags while harvesting some time ago.
  • I found and will return it.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    I found and will return it.
    Not before sacrificing it. I'm on to you!
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • edited April 2013
    Lothringen has it, I spoke to him after I saw this and he should be trying to get it back to you(you had already logged out by the time he came back to keyboard). While it sucks that stupidity makes you drops things, most people will return items they snatch if they every find out who it belongs to. Also, you can invest in Discipline and get Selfishness, that'll help.

Edit: Ninja'd by post delay, oops
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    I would support removing this from stupidity. Do you possess Selfishness in discipline? That would block this from happening in the future. It's a bit of a shame that it's so incredibly high up, which is another thing we can address.
  • I agree with removing DROP from stupidity's list of effects.
    If it's broken, break it some more.
  • Want to say thanks to Lothringen for returning the pack and gold...and the other things that were in the pack too.
  • No, I don't/didn't have selfishness though I am certainly looking into learning it now.  Not a huge fan of the high amount of lessons you have to spend to learn selfishness
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Wearing the pack would prevent you from dropping it due to stupidity. Of course, then you end up in the vestiphobia issue where you can toss it on the ground because you're wearing it. Considering the stance Lusternia has on theft and such, though, one would think moving selfishness down would probably be a good idea in the long run.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I made a comment on a vestiphobia report to the end that I'd like to see it always just make you rip off the clothing (but not throw it to the ground), just like it does now with Selfishness up.

That'd be pretty nice if it was done, then you could wear your pack and just trigger it to re-wear if vestiphobia ticks.  Makes it just that wee bit harder to accidentally lose something.

Another suggestion: While you don't have selfishness, use the bank.  The 2% fee for withdrawal really isn't that much compared to the 600,000 gold fee if something unexpected happens.  You don't need to be carrying around more than 25,000 gold, really.
  • Use a pouch/satchel, stupidity doesn't make you drop those.
  • Wear an apron over your stuff. Vestiphobia might make you rip off stuff, but if whatever it tries to rip off is under multiple layers, it won't come off because you have to peel everything in the right order.

• o Stupidity will no longer force DROP PACK (but the replacement is suitably devious - stupid people beware!).

Quick and nice change :) At least as long as the replacement isn't "propose to <person> with pack" :P
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, way I hear it, it unlinks your health potion now... which is decidedly magnitudes worse.

EDIT: Time to start carrying buckets o' healing around again, I guess.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • ... I just tested. I'm 99% the replacement is RIFT UNLINK HEALTH. Which is =( Well, a simple trigger will take care of that, I guess. But ugh.

Yeah, drop pack is... well, definitely a better thing to happen due to stupidity. If a simple poison can force me to stop using my shiny little arti vials, it's a bit overkill. In one case, the issue is prevented by simply wearing your backpack... or using something other than a backpack to store your valuables, in the other... you get to make fun triggers that may or may not work considering the fact that you might still be stupid when you try to relink or be afflicted by something lovely like aeon or sap when it happens.

• Please let that be the April Fools joke.
  • I had to have my moment of fun somewhere guys! ;)
  • Eh, it's pretty easy to code around it. It's just a little additional effort. When the changelog said devious though, it certainly is devious.

Iosai said:
    I had to have my moment of fun somewhere guys! ;)
    Easier way to do... open up the order of Iosai and watch everyone rush to join it. :D

• The Havens would lynch me if that actually happened :(
    Iosai said:
    The Havens would lynch me if that actually happened :(
    Awww, you'd still be our favorite... but anyways, considering the changelog in question actually vanished, can we assume that the change in question was reversed?

• Iosai said:
    Psh. With everyone in your Order, you'd _be_ the Havens.
    edited April 2013
    Does it really unlink your healing right now? That's not a super simple trigger. :(
  • I wouldn't mind; order affinity would resolve any Iosai problems. ;)
  • Except that people would offer more than enough to offset that. Heck, even I'd start hunting and offer to join her order.
  • Elanorwen said:
    Iosai said:
    Awww, you'd still be our favorite... but anyways, considering the changelog in question actually vanished, can we assume that the change in question was reversed?
    It hasn't vanished - it is in changelog 301. :)

P.S. The effect is no longer unlink vial. :)
    Eventru said:
    I wouldn't mind; order affinity would resolve any Iosai problems. ;)
    I wouldn't be so sure....
  • What's the new effect?
  • for the drop pack affliction....i would imagine that actually wearing your pack prevents that from happening.  yes, i've had the stupidity affliction try to force me drop my pack, but as i always have my pack worn, it doesn't work!  try that, wear everything you can, and if not, put them in your rift or your pack (which you should also be wearing)