Banks?

I find this topic rather interesting, yet I've never really had the time to discuss it with other people.
So. Here it is.

It may be just me, but I think there's 0% thievery rate in Lusternia - which is not a bad thing. In fact, even my character's personal enemies are kind enough to return lost things to me and I do the same to others. We are all honest, hard-working folk after all :)

Now, I know this may be my ticket to heaven one day, yet it raises the question - why should I stash my gold in the bank? All this instituion practically does is set a fee on me for.......not sure what services actually. I mean - my money is safe in my pack, right?

So. There may be different solutions, ways to make me trust a bank - I would be more than happy to hear different opinions on the matter, probably even alter my point of view /I may be missing something/ - please, elaborate on the matter if you feel like it ^.^

My own humble idea: We can add a.......moment, need to check my dictionary. Interest? Seriously?! There is no other word for that?! You know........you keep your money in the bank and it increases over time by a very small amount, depending on the total sum? That kind of thing - it will, at least, persuade people to actually bring their gold in the safe :)

Comments

• Interest from the bank would probably be a Bad Idea (tm). We already have too much gold in the bank; we don't need it increasing even more.

I made my own thread with suggestions for banks, but I can't seem to find it anymore for some reason. Anyway, some suggestions of mine:

Autopay shop taxes from banks in that org (with a message if the gold in the bank can't cover it)
    Autopay stable fees (same message deal)
    Autorefresh ads (same message deal)

• Oh, found the thread. It was on the old forums, not the new ones:

http://www.lusternia.com/node/30241
  • edited April 2013
    Yep, the word is interest.

Personally, I never stash gold in a bank because if I do I won't have it on hand when suddenly (cheap.. yeah right) credits go up or I want to buy something in a shop. There doesn't seem to be any reason to use a bank.

That said, I'm not sure sure if the problem is too much money going around or too few ways to put money to use versus too many uses for credits/lessons. /slight derail
  • I agree with Ssaliss. If it bank funds can be coded to be used to autopay stuff like taxes, or even clan dues, we'd see them getting used more. (The latter as well.) It may even be fun.

As it is, though, banks don't serve much of a purpose, but neither are they that much of a detriment to be around. Their major purpose is to keep track of an org's gold value. Theft prevention is largely player policed, but that doesn't mean it won't happen, so putting gold in the bank to guard against the one in a million chance of it happening to you is also a valid use for banks.

I'd love to see banks expanded too. Not sure if the admin have the resources to do it, (they certainly do have stuff higher on their priorities players are waiting for) but it would be nice to see it done all the same.

• AFAIK, you can already autopay clan dues. Not that any clans have dues that I'm aware of...
  • I still keep some money in the bank, and I know people who use it to help budget and not spend their life savings because the logged in while drunk one night.

Also, I have a dingbat container that I accidentally put a flame rune on instead of a fist rune so i'm a little paranoid i'll drop it and not get it back until it resets all the while people are digging through it and taking what they want :((

I think mostly though, the bank is there so people can't freak out about there not being one.

• Llandros said:
    I still keep some money in the bank, and I know people who use it to help budget and not spend their life savings because the logged in while drunk one night.

Also, I have a dingbat container that I accidentally put a flame rune on instead of a fist rune so i'm a little paranoid i'll drop it and not get it back until it resets all the while people are digging through it and taking what they want :((

I think mostly though, the bank is there so people can't freak out about there not being one.
    Flame runes can be disenchanted by an enchanter now, if you drop the item.
  • If I got a pack on and selfishness up, my gold isn't going anywhere. So really, I have zero reason to use a bank just to get hit with a bank fee when I want to withdraw.

Not to mention, the fee is taken from what you withdrew, not the gold still in the bank. Which means I don't get exactly what I wanted to withdraw. Sure, I could withdraw a bit more than I wanted but that's just a pain. (This was the case the last time I tried bank, it's been a looooong time.)

"But paradise is locked and bolted...

We must make a journey around the world

to see if a back door has perhaps been left open."

-Heinrich Von Kleist, "On the Puppet Theater"

• I like the idea of auto-paying stable fees. Next time i get the opportunity, i am going to purchase a chimaera. You can only buy them during the Czigany Fair i think? Anyways. I am inept beastmaster (I know, sounds dumb). But i plan on transing it in time, and i want the beast the next time around so i wont have to wait. But i wont be able to use it, so to the stable it goes....to die? I think, unless there is another way besides the collar. You can only pay up the fee so much, a couple years maybe? Would be nice for autopay for people like me, with not much time to play right now.
  • You can pay for up to 36 days in advance.