Malarious Report V2

Comments

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    If you want to be technical, eternal sleep is a mana based kill that all orgs have access to.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    What?  Why would any Lusternian want to be pedantic?
  • Malarious said:
    Same as always, things are open for discussion.  I tried to remove free insta's and anything that seemed to be questionable for the most part. This report does NOT include mechanics so it is purely skills.    This may have been a tiny bit rushed but someneos kept poking me.

NOTE: I have not checked these for recent reports, I will go back through them later for that.

=+=+= The Chems =+=+=
    - Effects
    * Allow paranoia to cause a chemists effects to hit them.  Right not there is no way to stop any of these short of being blind (mists dont hit blind? what?).  There should be a way to throw them off that poison users can attempt to capitalize on like every other guild!

Sure.

=+=+= Aeonics =+=+=
    - Foresight
    * Increase the cost of this skill to at least 3 power. This is basically an improved version of dodge for almost no cost. Easily maintainable permanently.

Agree with Wobou.

=+=+= Aeromancy =+=+=
    - Windwalls CHANGED
    * Allow windwalls to be ignited, which converts them to firewalls. This makes them removable and also gives them a bonus against preventing other walls.

Yes. Not being able to remove windwalls is an annoyance for everyone.

=+=+= Cosmic =+=+=
    - Timeslip
    * Reduce the equilibrium loss from hitting into timeslip to 1.5-2 seconds. Make the minimum casting time (mugwump) 3ish.  Right now its 3s off eq and 2s casting time (credit to silvanus, who actually identified this, yay for willing self nerf!).

As with others, questioning how someone is getting 2s casting time.

=+=+=  Harmonics =+=+=
    - Crystalweapon - scalpel
    * Give a power cost of at least 8 to its special ability. Which heavily mimics trueheal and is currently free.

I don't like increasing power cost, instead I'd rather decrease the effect to something like Gedulah.

- Shockstone
    * Reduce the max off eq. If you get shatterplexed and instantly shockstoned you will be soullessed 100% of the time before you can recover.

This is incorrect or outdated. Shatterplex into Shockstone, If they don't cure at all (in which case, just Timequake them), it's 7.5s. This isn't enough to pull off a soulless, especially when including the balance for doing the Shockstone. Now, I think what may have triggered this misunderstanding, is that previously, if you spammed CONCENTRATE, it reset the timer on regaining Eq. This has killed me several times before, but it's been changed now.

=+=+= Healing =+=+=
    - Auras
    * Make giving an aura require declare on prime.

Sure.

- Cure
    * Make curing a "defense" require declare, or remove the ability to cure a defense.

Sure.

=+=+= Highmagic =+=+=
    - Gedulah
    * The highmagic version of green.  Lower Gedulah in the skillset from virtuoso to gifted, in line with where green is in lowmagic (2 whole ranks earlier!).

Yes.

=+=+= Illusions =+=+=
    - Illusions various (programmed, weaving, improved)
    * These should all require you declare the target to function. Why? These can be used peaced to effect combat and curing, placed at points to mess with people, and can be used to help others in combat without declaring.

This would require changing how illusions work. Which I'm not opposed to, but requires a bit more than just this.

=+=+= Necromancy =+=+=
    - Ectoplasm
    * Increase the power cost and possibly the eq cost to prevent spam.

Remove area ectoplasm, imo. Not sure about changing single target ectoplasm. My understanding is that Sacrifice is very tight on power/time as it is, and I'd rather not make it unviable.

=+=+= Night =+=+=
    - Brumetower
    * Make brumetower act as gravity while in trees, not be 100% cannot enter. This gravity should effect entering, leaving, or climbing down.

Sure.

=+=+= Paradigmatics =+=+=
    - Reimagination
    * Give Reimagination (negative) a cure, probably focus spirit, if not shiny enough allow REALITYCHECK to be used on SELF/<target> to find the truth of the matter!

Sure.

- Reality
    * Reality should fail in the presence of a smob (no 1 one man counter raids). For every person reality moves reduce the chance it moves someone else, and after X people have been moved its power should wear out.

Sounds like a good change.

=+=+= Phantasms =+=+=
    - Phantomsphere
    * Give phantomspheres a power cost, currently a rangable no power insta that requires running. And/or give them a focus spirit cure to remove.

There was a report to give them a focus spirit cure before. It was rejected. I still think it's a good idea. A power cost would probably be waranted to.

=+=+= Sacraments =+=+=
    - Inqui line
    * Make the inquisition line require the same caster throughout the chain or have infidel close the aura. Presently you can infidel when aura opens, but since it doesnt close and since it does not care who is casting anyone else can instantly inquisition off your infidel.

Sure. I don't really like Inquisition mechanics currently. 1v1 it's mostly used to stall, as it's very power intensive and not a guaranteed kill. In groups, it becomes 'run or die'.

=+=+= Stealth =+=+=
    - Truss/Rushing
    * Reduce the balance on these skills to allow an action following (drag or a form).

Stealth seems pretty mediocre outside of Veil and masks. Buff to it's direct combat utility seem fine to me.

=+=+= Tattoos =+=+=
    - ElementalTattoo
    * Make elemental tattoos 50% chance to prevent being moved, instead of 5%.

Would make them more attractive for sure.

=+=+= Telepathy =+=+=
    - New skill: Flood
    * 2/3 power. When mindblast or psyvamp is used by the flooder there is a 2s period focus mind no longer functions. This should last a decent amount of time but not huge amounts, as the 2s focus killer is pretty powerful with normal afflictions being every 4.

Telepathy definitely needs something, and I'd like them to go in more of an affliction style combat than current 'works or doesn't' ego bombing or debate kills.

=+=+= Transmology =+=+=
    - Spix
    * Change spix from transfix to paralysis. Transfix is too powerful an affliction to have passive, and while it is "defendable" you can use several skills to strip sixth sense which always has a delay to put back up.

Agree.

- Ectoplasm (Nose)
    * Increase the power cost and possibly the eq cost to prevent spam.  Give a second line to show you have been covered in ectoplasm similar to Necromancys.

Ectoplasm isn't needed for Illuminati, imo.

- Hekoskeri
    * Make hekoskeri require a target to focus on.

Agree.

I didn't comment on everything, just what I was knowledge on/had an opinion on.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I seem to remember Shuyin talking about changing their ectoplasm to something else, now that they don't focus on throwing you off balance a hilarious amount with no effort.
  • Keep an eye on this slot.

Talking to people outside the plex right now on stuff.

Shuyin is NOT removing ectoplasm, I checked.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited April 2013
    <BLOCKQUOTE class=Quote>
    <DIV class=QuoteAuthor><A href="/profile/Rivius">Rivius</A> said:</DIV>
    <DIV class=QuoteText>
    <BLOCKQUOTE style="FONT-STYLE: normal" class=Quote>
    <DIV class=QuoteAuthor><A href="/profile/Celina">Celina</A> said:</DIV>
    <DIV class=QuoteText>
    <P>You mean lower mana targets are prone to mana kills and mana loss? What is this witchcraft.</P>
    <P> </P>
    <P>Double heagl+NSB was already complained about (perhaps justifiably) and nerfed. It's powerful, but not any more powerful than something like 3 warriors or similar tactics. It's really the last bastion of solid group synergy Glom has to compete with all the new skillsets and warrior mobs, and I suspect nerfing it is more motivated by "I died to it" than "it's not balanced." In the context of this game, it's pretty balanced and as a kill tactic, it has counters (including one in highmagic created just because Fillin didn't like that he could be mana killed and the admin let that partisan report slip riiiight on through) and limitations.</P>
    <P> </P>
    <P>And no, no one takes the "Malarious Report" title seriously. It's more a discussions on possible future reports.</P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>The difference between this and multiple warriors is that it's <I>one person</I> doing 32% mana drain in a <I>single hit</I>. That's pretty brutal. Under nightshade blues, you push that up to two people and you get 48% mana drain. Higher mana targets take less than this, but we're talking higher than 6k here apparently.
    <DIV><BR></DIV>
    <DIV>By the way, hod ticks way lower than most required mana kills and doesn't put you back above the 50%. It helps against mana kills, but rarely ever saves you. Let's be honest, everyone is weak to mana kills. Mana is used for a number of things in a fight, even more than ego. You need it to focus mind, focus body, focus spirit, clot, cast certain spells and so forth. I'm not asking for a huge debilitating nerf, but there needs to be a bigger cap somewhere. Not sure why I even had to go into this...</DIV>
    <DIV><BR></DIV>
    <DIV>Ps. Everybody gets mana kills (except Gaudi and Halli) and everybody gets runes.</DIV></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <P><BR>And that <EM>one person</EM> isn't going to be killing you, or hindering you in any way. So it's really kind of irrelevent how much mana drain one person does if they can't capitalize on it without a toader/absolver/bard/whatever around, no matter how much emphasis you put on it. Compounded with the costs of the mana kills, you can't just mana drain groups into oblivion. You're not looking at the skill in any context and what low mana means. You're basically just saying "it's a lot of mana, nerf it."</P>
    <P>As someone who focuses on watching mana in groups, even with a runist around, mana drops a lot slower than health in a majority of scenarios. Which is why I get more kills with nightgaze than I get toads. Considering you can get critical head wounds in less than 5 seconds with 2 or 3 warriors, I'm not sure achieving a similiar kill scenario in the same or greater amount of time with a harbinger, runist, and wiccan is magically more powerful. </P>
    <P>6k mana is not high, it's actually on the mid to low end. I usually walked around with 8500 or more. You're taking your situation as a loboshigaru and painting in broad strokes. </P>
    <P>Ps. Every has access to runes. Everyone does not use runes.</P>
    <P> </P>
    <P>edit: I do think your race is heavily skewing your perspective. You chose a race with terrible int, you're supposed to suffer from low mana challenges.</P>
  • REMOVED:
    - Shockstone (eq loss was changed)
    - Shieldstun (report in)
    - Flare (report in)
    - Timeslip (loss is 2 and cast is 3 when tested)
    - Dramatics (cleaner solution in dramaturgy)

CHANGED:
    - Scalpel (to act like improved green, should still be stopped by hindering)
    - Dramaturgy (Added a line to show it is a performance, rending rest unneeded)
    - Brumetower (to something more unique but with a druid available option open)

Replies to others:
    - Swoop has a power cost syntax in an attempt to remove free power insta's.  Having any skill that can insta for no cost is bad practice.
    - Feigndeath is a trans skill and should have a reasonable function, the intent is to fake death but if my first hit "kills you" and second hit still hits the purpose is defeated.
    - How is toads power cost related to haegl?
    - You can still CLIMB ROCKS to ignore the warrior, but they have to want to come in to get you.

Comments:
    - Shedrin says he wants to change the function of diamond, I am leaving it up at present in case something comes up.

Looking for feedback:
    - What would be a good change for spix if a focus cure is bad?
    - Ectoplasm? Higher power? Lower effect on limb attacks? Make it only work on full balance loss? Increase the eq time for casting?

After talking to Shedrin we also had some other thoughts that I wanted to get everyone to have a look at:

- Rubies
    * Remove movement as a cure.  Add cures:  Kether will remove 1 with 50% chance of removing a second.  If away from the researcher rubies will begin to lose power and fade.

- Kether
    * If it disables a gem it should create a delay for the researcher to put up the gem for let us say 10 seconds (to give a reason to use it).  Alternate idea presented was to have kether on the target disable all gems temporarily.

He helped me test and fix some of the reports too!  Post feedback, I was floored to see 23 comments when I came on!

• Celina said:

And that one person isn't going to be killing you, or hindering you in any way. So it's really kind of irrelevent how much mana drain one person does if they can't capitalize on it without a toader/absolver/bard/whatever around,

Double-haegling followed by a swoop kill by the same person happens pretty often in group fights with Glom. And the demesne paralyses, not exactly a super-hinder, but it is one.
    The powerful thing about mana drains is that there is only very limited mitigation available to them.

That said, double-haegl is not as worrisome as some other things on the list.
    I don't mind the change to group inquisition, I've personally never used it and it's not needed, either. Will have to wait until after the Haymaker report, though.
    As for Researcher scalpel, I'd rather see the effect lessened than for it to get a power cost. I didn't even know it can be used on others, that makes it even better, especially considering that bashing attacks (no less divinus damage ones) are used pretty often in group pvp, so recharging it can go rather quickly even in a combat situation.

• Added cantors song, while not used, they have the exact same power song and dramaturgy use as symph.

Also, I changed the fix on scalpel Vey.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    "- How is toads power cost related to haegl?"

....seriously?
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    edited April 2013
    Yes, that is a serious question. You aren't superslinging the Haegl. You aren't using power for the mana drain.

Just because its an 8 power ability means nothing. Absolve is 8 power.

Crucifix is 7 power. To Sacrifice is 3 power. Yet you suggest raising the power of Ectoplasm, and then refute a double-haegl nerf with the idea that Toad is 8 power. Just to pull off the Sacrifice you -need- to use at least 11 power.

Editted to add:

Here's your toading in under 5 seconds! You can thank me later.

SD orders entourage to kill (pre-time your banshee to attack one second later, its not hard)
    Bard shieldstuns victim
    Runist superslings double-haegl
    SD toads.

Probably death before shieldstun wears off.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    edited April 2013
    And in regards to Ectoplasming:

You don't need to cure Ectoplasm against a Nihilist. You can easily writhe off a Crucifix with ectoplasm.

You ----need---- to cure scabies and epilepsy. And a Nihilist has no access to stopping you cure that outside of aeonlocking (except for ~2 seconds with darkfate in regards to epilepsy).

Also my suggestion for Ectoplasm against Warriors/Monks was that doing attacks with arm/leg balances have no effect, but scabies/epilepsy/writhing/getting hit by carcer/tumbling and other things affect the normal way. If group ectoplasm is a problem, have its power-useage scale on the amount of people that are in the room that are hit by it.

And...

Inquisition is the worst. Thats all.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • edited April 2013
    On the subject of healing auras, I was wondering why you wanted the declare. As far as I know the only aura which really could be used offensively is the neurosis aura, which strips insomnia.

As for the other auras, I would not like turning them into a declare option, as I often want to put them on people in peaced areas in preparation for a fight, and since they expire every 10 minutes, I would have to declare someone every 10 minutes to reset the aura on prime.

Really I don't understand why a declare is necessary for the majority of auras. 
    (Cure neurosis would be the only declarable cure I could think of also )

I would be more in favour of just having the aura not strip insomnia while undeclared.

Another thing I would like to see is have the free discretionary power constructs reduce the amount of power required to use the discretionaries (maybe by 50% or even as much as 80%) rather than completely negate it, to discourage continuously distorting/fluxing/whatevering planes continuously while a construct is up.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Nihta said:

I would be more in favour of just having the aura not strip insomnia while undeclared.

This would be ideal, yes.
    Silvanus said:
    Yes, that is a serious question. You aren't superslinging the Haegl. You aren't using power for the mana drain.

Just because its an 8 power ability means nothing. Absolve is 8 power.

Crucifix is 7 power. To Sacrifice is 3 power. Yet you suggest raising the power of Ectoplasm, and then refute a double-haegl nerf with the idea that Toad is 8 power. Just to pull off the Sacrifice you -need- to use at least 11 power.

Editted to add:

Here's your toading in under 5 seconds! You can thank me later.

SD orders entourage to kill (pre-time your banshee to attack one second later, its not hard)
    Bard shieldstuns victim
    Runist superslings double-haegl
    SD toads.

Probably death before shieldstun wears off.
    Depends entirely on the target's mana; with 16 int I had to have surge up in order to get to around the same mana drain percentage that Rivius is reporting (cutting my max mana down by a third) to around 5292 or so.  Double-haegl did 1658 drain to me.

That's spot-on the general formula (10% + 300) drain per haegl.  2 runes would go up to 20% + 600 drain.

At ~8000 mana (relaxing surge), double haegle is eating only 2200 / 8000 mana.  At 10,000 (hme buffs, or a race with better int than mine), it goes down to 2600 / 10,000.

Sure, that's still a decent chunk, but it's nowhere near going to knock you out of the fight in one go.  Sip / sparkle and it's not even going to knock you out in two.

The only way you can get to a single double haegl doing that much of your mana in one throw is if you intentionally pick a race that is extraordinarily weak to mana kills... in which case you are also picking a race that is generally very strong at other things, such as delivering wounding.  That would be known as a trade-off, aka "racial balance".

PS: I'm not against the notion of reviewing double haegl.  The argument that "It does 32% drain to me, it must be broken!" rings hollow to me, however, when it's not doing that to everyone-- and, in fact, is only doing that to one person due to their own personal choices.

PPS: We've been told time and time again that the admin are against making exceptions, so a solution to Haegl cannot be something like "You can't double sling haegl".  Either all or nothing.  It's strange given that Othala is indeed already an exception in certain cases, but I think it's more to keep people from just whittling down the abilities over and over and making the skillset more complex to figure out.
  • I suspect he's under NightshadeBlues, which makes double haegl pretty darned insane. Whether NSB or double haegl is the issue is open to debate.

One or the other IS an issue though.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
    Ciaran said:
    I suspect he's under NightshadeBlues, which makes double haegl pretty darned insane. Whether NSB or double haegl is the issue is open to debate.

One or the other IS an issue though.
    NSB is a flat 50% bonus, which you can easily plug into the equations as well.

At 8000 mana, that's 3300 / 8000, which still isn't 50%.  And is the exact same drain as two separate people throwing haegl on a trigger, or one person throwing haegl and one person throwing TrueCaw, or... any number of things.  The only difference is that one person is spending power to chuck two mana attacks at once instead of phoning a friend.

The major difference from damage attacks in that there does not exist a DMP for mana or ego style drains, so there's not an easy way to 'soften' the impact.  As such, it's very difficult to balance them in group combat especially.  But your issue isn't with double haegl or NSB in particular, it's with the fundamental way that both mana and ego drain attacks stack at full efficacy.
  • You may say that, but I would say if there was a bard song that increased damage to health by 50%, there would also be an issue.

Perhaps it's simply Nightshade Blues that is causing issues.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Nightshadeblues was already brought down to 50% more drain from 100% more drain.

And there's some pretty good counters to nightshadeblues to negate its effects, much like any other bard song.

(PS there is a skill that increases damage by 50% and people are already complaining about it)

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Proposal: Give Symphonium a song that increases ego damage by 50% and listen to Sidd talk about how it has pretty good counters.
    Proposal: Anyone who has kneejerk reactions instead of continuing a discussion gets completely ignored. 

It's pretty simple to address points and not make sarcastic remarks. Again, you would rather misdirect than actually discuss, at least you haven't called me a moron yet. Small improvements

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Out of curiosity how many times have people died to this particular combination? I am not sure I have ever seen it happen (and I am a toader).
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Malarious report heading downhill already. Color me surprised.

P.S. No thanks on changing spix to barghest, try again. 
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    I didn't mean to cause any big argument here, so really, nevermind. I mostly thought it would be fair to cap it to 20-25% on everyone, since that's still pretty darn good mana drain. But uh, if it's too sensitive, we'll just leave that to whatever mage/druid envoy feels like making a case for it. Sorry for turning things heated!

As for the Spix change, I don't think paralysis is a good substitute either.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Rivius said:
    I didn't mean to cause any big argument here, so really, nevermind. I mostly thought it would be fair to cap it to 20-25% on everyone, since that's still pretty darn good mana drain. But uh, if it's too sensitive, we'll just leave that to whatever mage/druid envoy feels like making a case for it. Sorry for turning things heated!

As for the Spix change, I don't think paralysis is a good substitute either.
    Double haegl at 25% with NSB will still put it way over 30%.... technically, it's less than 25% right now if we're talking about you losing 32% of your mana with double haegl and NSB, somewhere along the lines of 22% on you, which is pretty much where you want it to be, no?

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    No, he's losing 32% without NSB, so roughly 48% with it.  But as I said, that's mostly down to having a pretty small mana pool.

Capping mana loss at 25% for an attack is a pretty big hit to the whole racial balance thing though.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    What racial balance? Who are we kidding? :P

Regardless, low mana races do still suffer from having low mana because there's plenty of static mana costs littered across the game.
    Rivius said:
    What racial balance? Who are we kidding? :P

Regardless, low mana races do still suffer from having low mana because there's plenty of static mana costs littered across the game.
    I still want that bleeping strength point back. Grrrrrr.
  • Synkarin said:
    Proposal: Anyone who has kneejerk reactions instead of continuing a discussion gets completely ignored. 

It's pretty simple to address points and not make sarcastic remarks. Again, you would rather misdirect than actually discuss, at least you haven't called me a moron yet. Small improvements
    Ok, you're right the issue deserves more attention. I'm just completely fed up with your 100% consistent homerism.  Go ahead and look at your comment history.

@Xenthos -- You may be right that the underlying issue is that we can't really do anything to mitigate mana damage like we can health.  I know that double haegl drops me faster than anything else in the game, because I've striven to maximize my resistances, however I don't have that option for haegl.

However, isn't that just a different way of saying the mana damage is too high?  Either you can increase resistances, or you can decrease the power of the damage source.  In the end it's the same result.

dropping 50% faster because of nightshade blues hurts as well.  3300 mana drain out of 8k (which is quite a solid mana pool) on ~4s balance means that even one haegl tosser and bard are doing at least 6600 mana damage out of 8000 in a 4 second span.

TP bombs were nerfed, the symptoms here seem similar.
    Ciaran said:
    Synkarin said:

Ok, you're right the issue deserves more attention. I'm just completely fed up with your 100% consistent homerism.  Go ahead and look at your comment history.

I don't really feel it's homerism (looking at my comment history doen't really support this fact). I tend to defend my skills against overeager nerf calls that most people tend to display. 

I'm also a fan of people basing decisions off correct information, which is why I made the comment I did. You'll notice I didn't actually say 'NSB' is fine. I'd be up for adjustment, but it would need to be discussed with these things in mind. 

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.