Unarmed Monks

Yeah, I know everybody's trying to get their idea for multiple primaries out there, etc. etc. I think I'd like to be monk someday, so this is in the same vein, but it's more just an idea I'd like to see be feasible. I'd love it if there could be unarmed monks that had something going for them better than regular kata. I believe there's a lot in the specializations that allow you to fight without a weapon, but I would just adore seeing a special focus on some Brazilian jiu-jitsu-style moves.

Comments

• Not likely to happen for mechanical reasons, although you might get 'brass knuckles' monk weapons or something. But you need something for weapon stats, and to attach runes to, etc.
  • Warriors worth their salt will just melt the runes into their flesh.
  • Technically, the idea behind real-life unarmed monks (chinese legends and the Shaolin tradition, east asian 'kung fu', 'karate' etc) are already incorporated in the form of the idea of "ka weight". It's not a major point of RP for monk guilds, in fact, most monk guilds generally ignore it and place it as more or less an entirely mechanical aspect. (I could be wrong, of course, but that's the impression I get.) There are small bits here and there that talk about "ka energy" and the sort, mostly in the ab files, but as far as I know, no monk actually talks about "manipulating ka energy" in that kind of sense that characterises chinese legends of superhuman monks blowing apart mountains.

• Besides, unarmed actions have a higher tendancy to miss and not cause much wounding? At least in my experience. It's safer and easier to lash out with shofa, even if it does not cause my point damage, you'll still cause wounds.
    is dead like the dodo
  • Think ninjakari have a skill to buff unarmed damage. Advantage of unarmed is it bypasses rebounding and parry.

• There're openings for some monk expansion with Tosha. A new, unarmed (well... brass knuckles) primary wouldn't be out of the question, I don't think. Neither would a Loboshigaru-based secondary. >_> I don't know about all the other monks, but I'd like some avenue to develop outside of the whole kephera/illithoid mess.
  • Unarmed also does alot less damage than any other hit (except kick).

Brass knuckles was a theorized weapon for brawlers in Gaudiguch.

• Skye said:
    Warriors worth their salt will just melt the runes into their flesh.
    Expansion on tattoos? Monks get tattoo armour, so instead, we get Runic tattoos which increase stat etc, on top of the normal ones we already have. TADA! 
    is dead like the dodo
  • I think the last thing monks need to have is extra +speed runes on tattoos.