May Auctions, round one!

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    So, on to other matters. Next auctions, we need cartel slot certificates again, please.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    And custom ikons!
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Shaddus said:

You mean where he verified repeatedly that his ego rune would work with force field, and it was later changed?

Not sure how that's abuse, but you can enlighten me.

It was broken, allowed or not. Extremely broken. It existed outside of dmp. It had unintended consequences and he abused them. He didn't break any rules, however. Just gamed the system to an extreme degree.
  • And the first round is done! Congratulations to the winners!

**************************************************[ Current Auctions ]**************************************************
    Id   Status    Max / Min      Title                                                                     Winner     Days
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1    WON         821/     821 Book of the Dead                                                          Zynna         0
    2    WON        1355/    1355 Pentagonal Puzzle                                                         Inagin        0
    3    WON         205/     205 Alchemist's Pocketwatch                                                   Ayisdra       0
    4    WON         805/     805 Charisma Rune                                                             Zada          0
    5    WON         805/     805 Magi Rune                                                                 Ixion         0
    6    WON        2221/    2221 Resurrection Amulet                                                       Ixion         0
    7    WON         655/     655 Farscout Telescope                                                        Zynna         0
    8    WON         645/     645 Farscout Telescope                                                        Inagin        0
    9    WON         630/     630 Farscout Telescope                                                        Nihta         0
    10   WON         795/     795 Clarity Rune                                                              Inagin        0
    11   WON         775/     775 Clarity Rune                                                              Hiriako       0
    12   WON         775/     775 Clarity Rune                                                              Zynna         0
    13   WON         755/     755 Gilded Cage                                                               Zynna         0
    14   WON         750/     750 Gilded Cage                                                               Kelly         0
    15   WON         750/     750 Gilded Cage                                                               Inagin        0
    16   WON     8000500/ 8000500 Pliers of Clangorum                                                       Chade         0
    17   WON     2554500/ 2554500 Beastmaster Collar                                                        Astrasia      0
    18   WON     2554500/ 2554500 Mystic Might Rune                                                         Barrin        0
    19   WON     2554500/ 2554500 Gaudy Glamrock                                                            Laxinova      0
    20   WON     2651500/ 2651500 Rune of Absorption                                                        Zynna         0
    ************************************************************************************************************************

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Some of the results here really surprised me.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Discussion that's come from this, evidently some people are using their escrow for lots of purchases.

In essence you can use your escrow as a max bid on every item, course you screw yourself over long term, but with the length of time people have to pay auctions back, they can essentially go over their escrow and bid on week after week and fix things long term. Is there a way to cap the amount someone can go over escrow before they can't bid on anything else?

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Morkarion said:
    Discussion that's come from this, evidently some people are using their escrow for lots of purchases.

In essence you can use your escrow as a max bid on every item, course you screw yourself over long term, but with the length of time people have to pay auctions back, they can essentially go over their escrow and bid on week after week and fix things long term. Is there a way to cap the amount someone can go over escrow before they can't bid on anything else?
    Auctions should be paid ASAP. We will trade in your existing artifacts to cover the cost of unresolved auctions, so I would really warn people away from doing something like this.

• If you have any outstanding auctions, you can't bid on any new auctions. However I'll look into that refreshing escrow thing, you shouldn't be able to do that if you can.
    Zvoltz said:

Morkarion said:

Auctions should be paid ASAP. We will trade in your existing artifacts to cover the cost of unresolved auctions, so I would really warn people away from doing something like this.
    Already we've had someone on market try to sell off one of their auctions they just won.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

I think they have to resolve some of the auctions in order to "free up" that escrow.

But attempting to "on-sell" the auctions is a bit awkward, I feel.
    (Market): Inagin says, "Selling pentagonal puzzle."

edited May 2013
    Iosai said:
    If you have any outstanding auctions, you can't bid on any new auctions. However I'll look into that refreshing escrow thing, you shouldn't be able to do that if you can.
    The issue was I could use my escrow on one item in the last auction and escrow build still had me at maximum. In essence I could have bid several thousand on every item.

Course it screws me over but it just buggers up the auction process.

Edit: Nearly forgot *derp* Thanks for looking into it!

• KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited May 2013
    Personally I'd love to see the ability to trade away auctions that you won DONE AWAY WITH.  All it does is perpetuates the "rich get richer, poor are stuck where they are" setup.  They are artifacts that you are bidding credits on, so they should be treated like artifacts you would buy under regular circumstances - If you win the auction, it is your artifact.  If you don't want it, trade it in and get your 2/3rds credits back.

Will be quite happy to see the change in escrow setup so that people can't do maximum bids of something like 2000 credits on half a dozen different auctions just cause that happens to be their escrow and then they pick and choose or do what is happening now and sell things they won to cover their escrow on other stuff.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
    Or have an additional cost to "trading away" your auction, equivalent to about an additional third of what you spent on it (the tradein cost).  Thus you can still bid on auctions for other people as presents, but there's an extra fee on top of it to discourage buying & reselling.

As such nobody would want to do it for resale.

• Xenthos said:
    I think they have to resolve some of the auctions in order to "free up" that escrow.

How do you even 'sell' the artifacts anyways like that?
    >---------------------------[ Changelog Entry #314 ]--------------------------<
       Entered by: Iosai the Anomaly                   Date: 2013-05-10 00:22:43

o When you build your auction escrow credits, any escrow credits tied up
       in current bids will not be refreshed.
    >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<

Xenthos said:
    >---------------------------[ Changelog Entry #314 ]--------------------------<
       Entered by: Iosai the Anomaly                   Date: 2013-05-10 00:22:43

o When you build your auction escrow credits, any escrow credits tied up
       in current bids will not be refreshed.
    >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<

<3 for fixing this so fast.

Ayisdra said:

Xenthos said:

For auctions, there is the ability to authorize someone else to resolve the auction (Xavius was, to my knowledge, the first person to do this; he bid on a fan of storms for Yeralih, gave her the credits and let her resolve it so it would be hers).  It's been used a few times since then to sell the artifacts instead, but the original precedent was actually very nice in spirit (which is probably why it was authorized).
    Ayisdra said:

Xenthos said:

You issue that blah blah bid error and x person is going to purchase it.

Ayisdra said:

Xenthos said:

Apparently if they find a buyer they can message the divine and have the ownership transferred over to the new person - something I'd love to see NOT happen.

PS: I love auctions.  Bring on round two!
    Just out of curiosity, do all the auctions have to be resolved before the next batch can be put up?

I'm curious because I know they were planning to have one batch per week, so if that is the case, I'm guessing people will not be given very long to resolve the auctions since they will be holding up the schedule.

• Doubt it. The next set will be put up when the person who has the authority to kick start it gets around, probably Estarra.

• Yeah, I see no reason why they'd be held up by something like that. Odds are they'll just add on auctions (so starting on number 21 next round).
  • edited May 2013
    The one thing I kind of wish is that you could never bid on any artifact you already own (or won in the past), since that seems to lead to people bidding for "spoiler" rather than actual desire.  I know Ixion already owns an amulet, I think somebody bought two censers one time in the same auction, and IIRC (I think this happened before) Inagin buys the Pentagon puzzles because (IIRC from what he told me) he feels it's a threat to Celest.

Some people have said "that's the point of auctions", but most real-world ones don't work that way--the items are truly unique and most people buy because they want it, not to keep it from the other guy.  I don't mind losing when it's a based on competing desire, but the "spoiler" thing sort of adds a bitter taste and doesn't feel as sportsman as it should be.  Or maybe that's just me.

Maybe they should put up 5 Resurrection amulets, 7 censers, and 12 pentagon puzzles next auction...

[BANNERCODE]
    I dislike people who bid to drive the prices up, but if they have the credits and are willing to risk it fine.

My issue is with people who bid on multiple items, abuse escrow then attempt to pawn off the items afterwards, they bid more than they clearly can afford, and it's unfair to the people who they outbid who had legitimate bids to purchase items and are now denied the opportunity to do so.

• Morkarion said:
    I dislike people who bid to drive the prices up, but if they have the credits and are willing to risk it fine.

Tully said:
    The one thing I kind of wish is that you could never bid on any artifact you already own (or won in the past), since that seems to lead to people bidding for "spoiler" rather than actual desire.  I know Ixion already owns an amulet, I think somebody bought two censers one time in the same auction, and IIRC (I think this happened before) Inagin buys the Pentagon puzzles because (IIRC from what he told me) he feels it's a threat to Celest.

While I'm not saying it is unfair, I did it this last auction. I bought the first Alchemist Pocketwatch. and I tried to up the price on this one to what I paid the first time (~250). but I ended up going over the max bid someone had (bid max was 200 for the person) and now I have two pocketwatches. Sure, I'm the only one with the artifact now, a small bonus I guess if nothing else.
  • edited February 2014

• Here's what's coming in the next auction:

In Lusternia, two new beastmastery artifacts are up for auction. The whip will allow a beastmaster to train beasts to use a minor breath attack that does excorable damage while the riding crop can train beasts to use a minor breath attack of divinus damage (attacks usable only by those with the respective artifact). Beware of the wyvern rider holding a whip!

Lusternia just finished their first auction, but these items will be us very soon in a second auction.

[BANNERCODE]