Anyone interested in an online D&D group?

KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
Doesn't really fit in any of the other forum sections so I figured I'd put it in here.

After trying and failing to find an active D&D group locally to play with on a regular basis, one of my friends told me about a "Virtual Tabletop" site called Roll 20 (located at http://roll20.net), it is effectively set up to allow playing traditional tabletop RPG's like D&D over the internet.

I'm looking for people that would be interested in playing, I'm fairly flexible when it comes to what time, but ideally it would have to be a friday or saturday night USA time.  I'd be looking at running a game each week or each second week.

Ideally I will be using the D&D 3.5 ruleset.
Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

Comments

• I'd certainly be interested but availability would be questionable, what with fri/sat being "go out and do shtuffs" time [which, albeit rarely, involves DnD also]

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I'd play! If I recall, the last attempt kind of flopped. As a huge nerd, I've always wanted to see what it's about, but as a RL closeted nerd, I've never had the opportunity to check it out. Or maybe it's my affinity for being boozed up at a bar in my spare time that interferes.
  • I know this thread is kind of old but I'm a DM and have used Roll20 before. Would be thrilled to have a group to run every couple of weeks. Can't commit to more than that due to the other games I am a member of and the hope that I will have a job soon that will be taking up more of time.

"He was well fed, and on his way to being slightly intoxicated--which contributed to his sense of wellbeing. And, most important, he was among friends. There can't be much more to life than this, he thought."  -Pug's thoughts on his first Ale (via Raymond Feist)

Visit my personal authorial website. (coming back up soon, with my first publications)
    Coding Resources: Mechanic's Corner | Code Academy | StackOverflow
  • I would but sadly aussie times here :(
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Saran said:
    I would but sadly aussie times here :(

Hah, I'm a New Zealander, so I feel your pain.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I'm in, anyone else?
  • I'll be interested. Whether or not I can make it for sure will depend on the exact timezone that'll be proposed, though.

Well, it seems there is enough people interested to at least get a small group running, if you want to put up available times or send them to me in a message, we can get probably at least get a trial game set up.

• I sit in GMT+8, basically a couple of hours away from NZ. My sat/suns are usually free, though there's the occasional outing I go with my friends. (Don't look at me like that, I have a real life too! >.>) So I should usually be able to be around with the time originally quoted in the post. (American nights are the next day's late morning to afternoon for me, depending on PST or EST.) You guys settle on a time that'll be best for you, and I'll see if I can slot myself in, I have a slightly more flexible schedule.

• Posting for interest, but also at a general lack of knowhow and game stuff.
  • This site has most of the basic 3.5 rules and mechanics which you can look up.

www.d20srd.org/index.htm

• Also interested, but complete noob.
    A horde of beings swarms about Your bulk. They are diverse in shape but are, without exception, horrific to look upon. Claws and teeth without number flash across Your vision, and nebulous masses of compound eyes and writhing tentacles and spindly antennae all twist around You. With the merest thought, You open wide Your maw and lazily swallow one.
    I've got GMT -5. I'm up for late nights/early afternoons for now.
    edited January 2013
    Well, for those of you that are complete novices, before we set up anything in concrete it might be a good idea for us to organise a time to get online where questions and answers can be fielded and perhaps some assistance can be given with making some character sheets to work with.

That being said, next Sunday (the 20th) I should be available if anyone wants to get in contact.

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    I'd be in before the inevitable happens with all my DnD/Pathfinder groups and I'm banned from ever playing melee characters after two campaigns.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

I'm planning on a binder combo, depending on how certain things are run! I've got a few rules questions that will change some parts, but I'm pretty set on binder!

Anyways, we should also probably get a skype group going! That way we can help each other out with stuff pre-meet and coordinate more actively!
    That is what I was thinking about doing, either that or using stickam.

Well... I'd vastly prefer skype. Not only would I generally rather voice chat over video chat, we can easily chatroom (text chat) to coordinate times for said video chatting, or other group-related stuff.
    Any news on this front? So far Lerad, Morkarion, Septim, a friend of mine and myself have coordinated a little over skype, a good party in the makings (if Lerad can make it to play times)! Just a-waiting a DM!
  • I'll DM, but you will have to give me some time to prepare. Have everyone interested add me on Skype, @Enyalida. My skype is genesisstrain.

"He was well fed, and on his way to being slightly intoxicated--which contributed to his sense of wellbeing. And, most important, he was among friends. There can't be much more to life than this, he thought."  -Pug's thoughts on his first Ale (via Raymond Feist)

Visit my personal authorial website. (coming back up soon, with my first publications)
    Coding Resources: Mechanic's Corner | Code Academy | StackOverflow
    I'm not going to be able to take part for the time being, every time I think things are going to die down enough for me to be able to consider it, something else comes up - plus my manuscript for my university paper is due in 2 weeks, so I'm focussing quite heavily on that now - I've been getting some really good feedback from the lecturer, so I want to keep up my good pace.

• Well, since both of these games have fallen through, I've taken the time to set up one of my own. Setting and plot outline are written, so we can start as soon as we have a party. I'm looking for 4-6 people total for a 4-5 hour session once per week. Time and day to be decided.

Game is low optimization and RP heavy, in a grittier than normal setting. Previous tabletop or DnD experience is not required.

More info here. You can contact me over PMs here, or over Skype @ foolofsound.
    Yeah sorry, between work and university, I simply haven't had the time to even THINK about it for a long time now :(

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    I play a really specific type of D&D/D20/Pathfinder. In other words, I rather not go for the hack & slash stuff. Had a really good GM back in the day who'd run online games for me, but he poofed somewhere a few months back and that's been that. Either way... ephasis on RP and rewards for it will certainly draw me to a game. Emphasis on murdering as many things as possible during a session will have me going... "meh, another one of those" and never showing up again. In other words... let me know the kind of game you like to run, and I might join a group.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • edited April 2013
    The game is low-optimization and RP heavy, with hardly a dungeon in sight. The alternate system being used is much more lethal than standard DnD, and is built to encourage players to try non-combat solutions first. The game will be mostly intrigue, with generally 1-2 combat scenes per session (since combat scenes are time consuming both to write and to play).

More info and sign ups in the GoogleDoc.
  • This interests me greatly. I've always been the on the outside looking in in terms of D&D, though, so perhaps it's time to make the jump and start playing. I'll try to acquaint myself with 3.5, I suppose.
  • 3.5 seems a bit daunting, but it's not as complicated in play as it looks on paper. I'm willing to teach as we go, and since this is a low optimization game, you shouldn't run into the knowledge barrier that a lot of games end up having. Be sure to check out the GoogleDoc too.
  • I'm intrigued. I've never done anything tabletop before, though it's not for a lack of interest. It seems like a lot of fellows in this thread are in the same boat.

Seems you have enough know-nothings gumming up the works, but if there's a way to spectate, I'm in.
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:
    "THE DEMON LORDS CAN NEVER TRULY BE KILLED - GREAT IS THEIR POWER."

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• Lillie said:
    I'm intrigued. I've never done anything tabletop before, though it's not for a lack of interest. It seems like a lot of fellows in this thread are in the same boat.

Seems you have enough know-nothings gumming up the works, but if there's a way to spectate, I'm in.
    If you're really interested, we'd love to have you regardless of experience. d20 isn't too hard to get the hang of. If you'd like to observe, contact me over Skype @ foolofsound, and I'll add you to our conversations once the campaign starts up.
  • Slots are starting to fill up, so if you are interested you should get in contact with me fairly soon.