Icewynd: Feedback on the changes.

KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
edited May 2013 in Common Grounds
This is a two part thread, the first is my own personal report on Icewynd then and now, and also an open discussion for people to give feedback and opinions of their own.

Before the changes Icewynd was a highly sought after source of end game bashing. The mobs were easy to kill, many in number and if you had the spawn timers you could farm very easy essence and offerings all day. They were high reward and minimal risk as long as you knew what you were doing. They easily got people to Demigod, and easily got Demigods high amounts of essence. The corpses were also some of the best sources of God offerings essence in the game.

Because of this, it encouraged people to be selfish and hunt alone or in very small numbers and hoard the place to themselves, thus the rich got richer by knowing and controlling the spawn timers.

The biggest change is the affliction spam, aggressive stance and pursuit has now made soloing very undesirable if not impossible for most. People are encouraged to go as a group, a popular set up being a Knight with Standardbearer tanking all the mobs while the group pours in the damage with a controlled order of killing.

I like this bit, this is good, I'm all for areas that encourage groups instead of soloists.

However since the change, because the corpses are now divvied up and because the experience/essence is shared, this is poor bashing. In an hour it's worth less than sitting on Astral linking for 30 to 40 minutes alone. Especially with one of the other changes that was made was to bring Fiends in line with the rest of the other mobs in terms of exp/essence value and offerings value (as they were out of synch with the rest.)

While I'm sure others will disagree with my stance that I would like to see the current affliction and aggressive/pursuit mechanics remain to dis-encourage solo farming,  I would instead propose a look at raising their exp and offerings values so that groups are encouraged to go there, as right now the risk/reward has swung in the other direction, and would like to see this balance brought into line. Not necessarily as high as their original values but somewhere between there and their current value.

The other thing I believe is lacking is a decent gold amount per mob, not just for the larva packs but also for the Icediggers. Compared to Lirangsha or the Gutter, which are both farmed over constantly, the gold for these is very poor despite the fact they aren't hunted anywhere near as often. I'd like to suggest this is looked at considering it is now a group hunting area and possibly raised to a level where it's expected to be divided by a group between 3-5 people.

Group hunting areas in my opinion are a great thing, but the rewards for any of them in my opinion need to outweigh simply going out and hunting alone for a Demigod to encourage teamwork. I'm a believer that team play should always be more rewarding than solo play because of the co-ordination involved and the fact you're doing this to benefit others than yourselves. If there is an option in the future to have more of these areas I'd firmly encourage it.

Thank you for your time.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Comments

• When you took us up there to hunt, I was ENTHRALLED. I constantly checked INFO HERE to make sure I was keeping the bashing order correctly, and only switched when I thought I was sure that is was okay to.  I didn't really understand what was going on, but slowly started feeling a good rhythm and felt like I was being productive and useful.

And by then an hour had gone by, and we were done.

I could have easily sat there all day doing that.  It was fun.  It felt like the first time I entered a dungeon in WoW and my guildies were trying to explain everything to do through vent (they always got mad because I'd want to touch everything >.>)

To me, THAT was immersive.  I was looking at a sea of text, but I felt like I was fighting my way through that first big pull where our healer died and I, as an ele shaman, switched gears real quick and started spamming everything I could.  I'm too tired to make any more metaphors happen tonight, so I'll just say YES GIVE ME MORE PLEASE THANKS LOVE YOU.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    I will just second that I think the larva spawns should either give more experience, more gold, or a combination thereof. I think the intent in making Icewynd a group-bashing ground was great, but as Morkarion implied, the experience is not worth the effort or on par with other high-level bashing areas. I have tried solo, in groups, and in Demigod+ groups. The poor return, compounded with the need to find a group and the high risks involved (i.e., icedigger pits, the winds when released [haha won't that be a trip], crazy-aggressive-afflicting-tracking-multiplying mobs), has effectively killed larva bashing.
  • edited May 2013
    I'm not at all familiar with the Gutter (or all that much with Icewynd), but I suggest not using Lirangsha or Astral as flat comparisons. Astral gives you absolutely no gold and has insanity in exchange for higher essence/offerings. Lirangsha has no offerings and massive resistances to most types (specifically weak to excorable to provide an excorable bashing ground) in exchange for higher gold and possibly experience. Both of them are effectively open PK on bashers, whereas I understand Icewynd is Avenger protected. Please take these into account. If you've already done so, great!
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    edited May 2013
    The Gutter is essentially a high level solo area which will net you between 30-70k gold (higher when people forget about it for a bit, and that happens) a run, about 500-600k in demigod essence and 350k+ in offerings. Takes between 20 and 40 mins to run.

Lirangsha is only enemy status half the time, rarely visited and easily flipped, it's also an insanely good influencing area for those who beg for the gold rather than bash for it. I'll agree with Astral being open PK, though insanity can be greatly reduced through Circlet/Medallion as well as Chaos domoth.

But even when you look at it all, Icewynd really doesn't have a place anymore in the bigger thick of things.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

Also need to consider that all things in Icewynd have a fatal weakness to fire where as astral only goes to moderate.

I'm not sure what this means in actual numbers but I tear through Icewynd mobs with destruction. I've outpaced fullied artied and crit runed warriors with just my generic buffs and a magic damage artie. I suspect a lot of desctructioners and pyros would turn Icewynd into an essence buffet.

edited May 2013
    The same is again true in the Gutter, where mobs have a fatal weakness to divinus.

Yes those with fire (and to lesser extend divinus and blunt) will have advantages, though Fire is getting a lot more spread around with both fire damage runes and beast minorbreath. That said there might be merit to tone down a level (or two if the vision allows it) of their vulnerability, to not make it a pigeonhole setup that you bash the area with one high DMP/HP tank Knight and a squad of only Pyros and destro Ascendants.

Please keep up with the feedback folks, essentially right now Icewynd is for all intents and purposes a dead area, it's gone from popular to pretty much abandoned in one (albeit needed) series of changes, and it could use a little love.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    >---------------------------[ Changelog Entry #318 ]--------------------------<
       Entered by: The Oneiroi, Administrators of Fate Date: 2013-05-16 01:40:32

Those hunting the frost-bitten Iceburn Plains will find their experience
       gains have been increased across the board.
    >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<

Great success!

Ok feedback time.

People: Morkarion, Synkarin (Nightkiss tank/Destro Ascendant combo)
    XP buffs used: Nightcoven Squad (not sure what it's worth, but it isn't huge)
    Offering tattoo used.

Starting essence:.57,006,744
    Final total: 58,255,548
    Gold total: Roughly 52k per person.
    God offerings: 1,166,909 (corpses split in half) 

We cleared out 3 1/3 larva (someone had already started bashing one earlier in the day alone and failed, so we occasionally ran into small groups) In roughly 1 1/2 hours. Had we done a full four full larva spawns it would have probably taken about 2 hours.

The packs average out to about 350k essence per in a group of two. Offering essence is roughly the same per pack without the tattoo in said group of two.

As far as I'm concerned this is a great place to take 2-3 demigods and 1-2 non demis to help them level, or just a group of 3-4 demis for a fast clear. The values now are pretty accurate to where they should be as a group bashing place. With xp bonuses up this is a very profitable area that promotes group work, without making other areas obsolete.

Overall, great change, thanks!

• Out of curiosity, how does that compare to linking Astral?
    Depends on the numbers used when linking Astral, I can only speak from solo experience, someone who group links will probably be a better comparison.

Certainly more gold though, but that's a given.

For some other results, @Saoirse (Celestine) and I (Paladin) just did some testing on Icewynd vs. Astral. We used the same personal buffs for each run, so the rate of our group would be comparable between the two locations . Of course it is not a perfect comparison since there is disparity between the mob weaknesses, but I think it is a fair indicator. I was standardbearing for this exercise, and had some motley assortment of minor xp buffs (harmony blessing, 5% from Elite, TF). I didn't include offerings data because it would be a misleading comparison.

---

Icewynd (one larva):

Rate: 312,090 essence / 22 minutes
    = 14,186 essence / min
    = 851,154 essence / hr

Total corpses: 255
    Kelly 109, Saoirse 146

30,238 total gold per larva (before split)
    Gold obtained was modified with the Respect Demipower and Commandant arti.

Pros:
    Minor gold drop (~50k/hr/person)
    Avenger-protected

Cons:
    * Accident-prone environment (pits, winds, mob multiplication targeting woes)
    * Requires group (and very tanky standardbearer?)
    * Greatly reduces standardbearer's efficiency (his/her personal corpse gain), and thus the overall group's rate of xp gain
    * Comparatively larger expense on curatives
    * Requires unique planar rift, artifact transportation, or unreliable quest access
    * Long mob respawn time
    * Specific mob resistances/weaknesses (caters to select attack types)

---

Astral (linked obesefessors):

Rate: 459,008 essence / 22 minutes
    = 20,864 essence / min
    = 1,251,840 essence / hr

Total corpses: 279
    Kelly 155, Saoirse 124

Pros:
    * Power gain
    * Great xp/offerings
    * Relatively limitless mobs
    * Can be bashed solo or in groups
    * Wide variety of mobs (weaknesses/resistances), lends to all classes

Cons:
    * Insanity - reduces efficiency over time, imposes time limit on bashing
    * Not Avenger-protected
    * Artifact assistance may be necessary to access desired spheres

---

In conclusion, Astral was a significant ~50% better in terms of xp gain. Qualitatively, it was also much better in terms of offerings; more corpses and at a higher net essence/corpse rate.

Comparison to Astral aside, I still do not think Icewynd is really worthwhile. I would probably attribute this to the fact that the standardbearer is unable to attack for the majority of the time due to the high rate of hindering afflictions (frozen, paralysis, broken limbs, etc.), thus the squad's xp rate suffers. This can probably be slightly mitigated by having a larger group, but then is contingent on finding the same high-caliber bashers. I think using a standardbearer is necessary for this, but would be interested to hear otherwise! I also perceive a lot of cons around Icewynd bashing, while there are significant pros to many other areas.

In any case, I appreciate the Admin looking into this and giving the larva a little boost! As it stands, I would consider Icewynd a change of pace bashing locale, but it needs a little more help to make it attractive.
  • Just as a note, diggers/winds will also give more XP in the plains (not just larva-chains).
    Didn't notice that, will have to pitjump and see if they're worth it.

For clarification, I was using Astral as a baseline metric for comparison, not necessarily to say "bring Icewynd up to be equal to Astral". Astral is most like Icewynd because there is a high volume of mobs and it is continuous bashing (you do not have to spend time recovering balance/walking to get to the next one). It seemed to be the most fitting comparison in terms of xp rate.

Diggers needed some help before, that's neat too.
  • I dislike that they made an area that requires a standardbearer to be present to hunt in.  Otherwise this "2 demi and 2 non" idea doesnt work, because the mobs will gank the non demi's.  So this is only really a good place for warriors to hunt sadly.
    Malarious said:
    I dislike that they made an area that requires a standardbearer to be present to hunt in.  Otherwise this "2 demi and 2 non" idea doesnt work, because the mobs will gank the non demi's.  So this is only really a good place for warriors to hunt sadly.
    Encourage them to have a standardbearer artifact in the next auction then.
    There's also a significant disparity between Knight types in terms of tanking, but that's another story, there are optimal setups to hunting this in the damage output too. Personally I despise optimal requirements for bashing and wouldn't complain if the vision suddenly didn't require them.

Now the damage type advantages I don't see them fixing. Pyros and Destro Ascendants will have dominion in Icewynd, I dislike it but I don't see it changing. Asking for a Commandant's Standard artifact however allows a lot more tanky types who aren't Knights (monks and drunkbards for example) to fill what is essentially a niche role.

• Yes because paying several hundred credits so you can use a bashing area is a fine method of handling the issue.............
  • Icewynd was never a place much intended to be solo-able. If you can pair off with a tanky knight and duo it, you're doing pretty good!

I don't have much an opinion on a standardbearer artifact right now, however Knights tend to be the archetypical tanks and certainly are prepared for the role in Lusternia (even before standardbearer, with Transmute, Surge, Weathering, Vitality, etc etc).
    edited May 2013
    Or just grab a Knight, you always have that choice.

At a guess, I can see more group orientated bashing areas coming up in future. Not to say every future area will be a dedicated group area, maybe one in every 3-4. Said artifact is probably worth 200 credits due to situational use.

Here's the thing, the damage isn't the biggest issue, yes it'll kill non demigods, and if you're unlucky with aggression, some demigods too. The issue is the affliction spam is going to make it utter hell to fight through. You reduce the affliction spam and people will be able to solo it. Some people already can solo it, I've done it myself, it takes ages but it's possible to hack my way through an entire larva alone. If you cut down on the affliction output then myself and several others will be able to sit there and gather up a ton of essence and offerings without ever leaving the room.

Contrary to what some people may think, I don't actually want that, if I want to do that I'll go solo link astral for an hour. I like this as a group bashing zone, and I want it to be worth doing as a group bashing zone. The downside is it's probably the only way to make something a group hunting area that makes hunting alone completely non viable. Now the alternative would be to remove the hindering, tone down the direct damage and give them AoE damage auras split across a group, but for the numbers you need to kill off the soloists? That'll also kill lower levels.

I really don't see them making Standard Bearer a skill for all classes, I wouldn't object if they did, but I don't see it happening. Which is why I agree with the idea of an artifact, it'd also have other uses, again limited but there are places where you would want to not put lower levels at risk when hunting. Two person linking Astral for example, or hunting UV tunnel trash and aiming to not get your friend killed on groups of adoraths or cave-fishers.

Bringing this back on topic, I've been mulling over Kelly's numbers, and had a very good chat with her last night about ideal xp/hour ratios.

Sat doing some napkin math today, the ultimate combination for a fast farm is two pyros/destro ascendants and a standard bearer Knight to get the best xp/hour ratio. I'd like to ask the Admin what setup they based their essence/hour ratio calculations on, and what they believe the acceptable ratio for Icewynd is at zero xp buff level.

Personal opinion is while it's most certainly an improvement and I stated the values in my previous feedback were "pretty accurate" (and they're certainly much better than they were) I don't believe the area is beyond a little more polish in that regard. Though I re-state my previous comments, while I don't want to see Icewynd be forgotten about and just be a giant white tundra that gets largely ignored except for curio questers, I also don't want to see it overbuffed to the level it was of being the be all end all area for hunting and making a lot of other places obsolete.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    edited May 2013
    As a demigod, not being able to bash in an area without a standard bearer - I'm not even talking solo here, but with a group of demis - Is pretty frustrating. I cannot survive without a tank (ie Knight). So Icewynd is a bashing area only for the Knights, or with people with access to a Knight that's willing to lead them bashing. It just irks me that even a demigod needs protection. :/

That's mostly in part to the fact you're probably playing one of the worst class/race combines in the game for hunting. Which quite frankly is an issue that deserves an entire thread dedicated to itself.

Well no, I don't have the easiest time bashing certain things because of stupid excorable resist, but I still don't generally die to them. Ie I can hunt astral, and Catacombs and zombies with their resists, I just have to be careful and am not as effective as other setups. But I can't withstand Icewynd mobs anymore. I need a meat shield.

edited May 2013
    Nobody can do ice-mobs on their own really.  Everyone needs a meat shield.

Edit: Or, more accurately, a frozen broken-limbed and shattered popsicle in plate.
    edited May 2013
    See I'm not talking solo - I'm talking about the requirement to have a standard bearer. Why shouldn't a group of 4 demis be able to handle their attacks long enough to take them down? Instead, they hit so hard we need a Knight. That just seems extremely bizarre to me.

edited May 2013
    It's not the damage that's the reason you need a Knight, unless you get really unlucky that your squishy guy gets a lot of the aggression you can handle the damage fine without a Knighttank.

The issue is blacklung/frozen/paralysis/limbbreak/prone/fear spam on an entire group makes it a real bitch to try killing anything.

Xenthos said:
    Edit: Or, more accurately, a frozen broken-limbed and shattered popsicle in plate.
    Pretty much an accurate description of my adventures on Icewynd. I get a lot of spam and zero kills.

Lavinya said:
    See I'm not talking solo - I'm talking about the requirement to have a standard bearer. Why shouldn't a group of 4 demis be able to handle their attacks long enough to take them down? Instead, they hit so hard we need a Knight. That just seems extremely bizarre to me.
    As Morkarion said, it's not that they hit hard, it's that you need all that affliction spam to be on -one- target so that everyone else can actually murder them.  If everyone is always frozen and unable to really attack, well, everyone's going to die a horrible death.  That's the reason for needing a standardbearer, not the damage specifically.  Others could tank that just fine, too.

If everyone else is able to attack then the devils / fiends die really fast, and thus don't add a lot of damage to the mix (and the tank can huddle in a little frozen iceball to survive another day).
  • All I can see now is Morkarion as Gunter from Adventure Time, hacking and slashing his little Mork penguin way through the icy tundra.

This cannot be undone.