Things we would like to see in GMCP! (since it seems to be in the process of being overhauled)

I thought maybe since GMCP is getting overhauled we could provide some ideas for it! I really like the new gmcp remove and gmcp players, it has allowed me to code some things which were previously was uncertain about.

One thing I would really like to see is for gmcp.Comm start and end if we could have SAYs, EMOTEs, TELLS, SHOUTS, and YELLS recieve a start and end notification, like how if someone talks in a clan, the start and end would become clt3. I would like it so if someone does WINK NIHTA, or SAY hello, that the channel would then put start = "emote" or start = "says".

This would mean I wouldn't have to do these things by colour triggers, which makes my aetherpace map unhappy.
(It might also help with dramaturgy illusions if we know the line is an emote!)

Comments

• As an addition to the above ideas to include says and emotes to the Comm.Channels, I'd love to see the message itself being included. So, for instance, a tell would give the GMCP message "Comm.Channel.Start { "name": "market" "message": "Stuff for sale!" }" instead of the current "Comm.Channel.Start "market"". Yes, it'd require a rewrite of channel-capturers, but in the end I think it'd make things easier.

Other suggestions... hmm... Frankly, I think GMCP is at a good spot. I can't think of anything specific that's missing. Perhaps some minor tweaks here and there, but in general... yeah. Pretty solid.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Not sure why channel capturers would need a rewrite. As far as I'm aware, they work with standard triggers. Even easier to do via Mudlet with their "beginning of line substring" option. You just trigger something like "(Blacktalon):" and you're good. Sure, it's a pain for says and emotes, but everything else is pretty easy to trigger.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Remember that GMCP can get really bloated, and we've removed/reduced some stuff in the past, as it can get bloated/laggy/"too much" for some. I've not heard of a GMCP "overhaul", so I'm not sure where you got that impression (beyond something being added!).

Certainly doesn't mean you can't ask for more stuff, though!
  • Depends on how they work, I guess. I know mine would need a small rewrite (nothing too major though); it all depends on what data they use from the GMCP.
  • Elanorwen said:
    Not sure why channel capturers would need a rewrite. As far as I'm aware, they work with standard triggers. Even easier to do via Mudlet with their "beginning of line substring" option. You just trigger something like "(Blacktalon):" and you're good. Sure, it's a pain for says and emotes, but everything else is pretty easy to trigger.
    Squads can also be named anything, yells and shouts sometimes have a different message (especially if a god is doing it!), and I think tells once again would only be for gods if it isn't so and so tells you! (not that I speak to gods that much).

The channel capturer is something that already exists in gmcp, so I thought we may be able to increase its functionality better, so we can capture all these un-triggerable channels.

Eventru said:
    Remember that GMCP can get really bloated, and we've removed/reduced some stuff in the past, as it can get bloated/laggy/"too much" for some. I've not heard of a GMCP "overhaul", so I'm not sure where you got that impression (beyond something being added!).

Well I know that gmcp can get pretty bloated, but I think since it already has a channel functionality, we could add these I guess "channels" to it, maybe, if the code allows!

I am actually curious what gmcp bloat means mechanically though, I may not have been playing last time it got bloated, does it take up a lot of server resources to send a large gmcp, or is it just something the players didn't like, or something else entirely?

As for the "overhaul" I might be a little hopful, but I was really pleased with the gmcp.items.remove change and the gmcp.room.players change, and since a new client was released, I thought gmcp may have been getting overhauled to work better with that client - I may be thinking maybe just a little bit wishfully ;).
  • Nihta said:

Squads can also be named anything, yells and shouts sometimes have a different message (especially if a god is doing it!), and I think tells once again would only be for gods if it isn't so and so tells you! (not that I speak to gods that much).

The channel capturer is something that already exists in gmcp, so I thought we may be able to increase its functionality better, so we can capture all these un-triggerable channels.
    ^(\[.+\] )?\(.+\):.+$ should capture pretty much every channel(including covenants) although yeah custom yells and shouts aren't generically triggerable.
  • Kalnid said:
    Nihta said:

^(\[.+\] )?\(.+\):.+$ should capture pretty much every channel(including covenants) although yeah custom yells and shouts aren't generically triggerable.
    Yes I don't have trouble making triggers to capture my channels, my problem is that I do not like using colour triggers to capture channels (currently the only way I know for emotes, says, tells, shouts, squads) since aetherspace uses maybe every combination of foreground and background, and sections of my map keep getting put in my chat window instead of my map window!

Colouring triggering emotes is foiled by the leprechaun pot now as well, although I don't see many people use it thankfully.
  • Oh! Just thought of something. When you're in the arena and eat a herb, you don't get the Char.Item.Remove message. Would it be possible to have eating in the arena spawn those messages? Perhaps even INR the herb automatically to simulate the outside world better.
  • Eventru said:
    Remember that GMCP can get really bloated, and we've removed/reduced some stuff in the past, as it can get bloated/laggy/"too much" for some. I've not heard of a GMCP "overhaul", so I'm not sure where you got that impression (beyond something being added!).

That's why clients have the option to turn GMCP off and system developers have the option to simply not utilise certain keys/strings.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Kalnid said:
    Nihta said:

Can't you colour shouts/yells, and trigger off that colour?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    Kalnid said:
    Nihta said:

Can't you colour shouts/yells, and trigger off that colour?
    That is what I currently do yes, but as I mentioned before, this ends up causing problems for my aetherspace map.
  • Adding a config GMCP functionality to only send the GMCP notifications you want seems like a good idea. Would allow for more features to be added as desired without adding bloat.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • There already is one, in a way. When you connect, you can choose which packages to include (or rather, at least the GMCP implementation allows you to; not sure if all clients have all settings).
  • Oh silly me, carry on.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • How about putting affliction lines in gmcp?
    There could be gmcp.Char.Status.Affs.List (updates on diagnose), gmcp.Char.Status.Affs.Add (updates only for non-hidden afflictions), and gmcp.Char.Status.Affs.Remove (updates when an affliction is cured).

• Nihta said:
    How about putting affliction lines in gmcp?
    There could be gmcp.Char.Status.Affs.List (updates on diagnose), gmcp.Char.Status.Affs.Add (updates only for non-hidden afflictions), and gmcp.Char.Status.Affs.Remove (updates when an affliction is cured).
    I had the same thought, but that would wreck affliction illusions even more than afflines did. You can create an illusion of an affline, after all, but you can't create an illusion of GMCP.

Not saying I wouldn't love it (since I really don't like the concept of illusions), but I can definitely see a lot of arguments against it.

• Ssaliss said:

Nihta said:
    I had the same thought, but that would wreck affliction illusions even more than afflines did. You can create an illusion of an affline, after all, but you can't create an illusion of GMCP.

Not saying I wouldn't love it (since I really don't like the concept of illusions), but I can definitely see a lot of arguments against it.
    I was told by Malarious that you were not allowed to make an illusion of a aff message, as it is considered to be OOC.
  • Nihta said:

Ssaliss said:

Nihta said:

I was told by Malarious that you were not allowed to make an illusion of a aff message, as it is considered to be OOC.
    If this is true, it's dumb.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Kio said:
    Nihta said:

Ssaliss said:

Nihta said:

If this is true, it's dumb.
    I don't think it's true at all, how is having an affliction message, something you see when you gain certain afflictions OOC. 

I was also told that illusioning contemplate lines was OOC, but there's an entire skill that tells you exactly what I was illusioning, so I don't really buy that whole argument

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    If it were true, why wouldn't they just make them impossible to illusion? Put two different colours and voila.
  • Well I just did an ISSUE ME so will report the ruling!
  • If the illusion is OOC then so is the affline.

Delete afflines. >_>

/illusionist

• Alban said:
    If the illusion is OOC then so is the affline.

Delete afflines. >_>

/illusionist
    Personally I'd rather rework illusions to fit afflines rather than remove afflines.
  • That works too...I'm wondering how it would work from a programming perspective.

The game would have compare any line you illusion to all affliction lines (using regex or something to parse character names) and figure out what affliction you are trying to illusion. Not sure how hard that would be or if it would be performant. 
  • edited May 2013
    /me rerails and makes a new thread about this.
  • Follow up: Message #20 sent by Oneiroi (received: 2013/05/29 15:36:25)
       Greetings. In answer to Issue #1363, it is permissable is use afflines in an illusion. Thank you!
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    I'd like it if we got which arm a wielded item is held in. Maybe changing the attributes to be l for left hand and r for right hand or something.
  • Rivius said:
    If it were true, why wouldn't they just make them impossible to illusion? Put two different colours and voila.
    I mentioned this to Iosai just yesterday and even IDEA'd it this morning! :)
  • But like I said on the other thread, I really do think it might be worth considering changing how illusions work altogether.

Illusion proof afflines; give us cure balances in GMCP and rework illusions slightly.
  • He means, remove illusions as a combat mechanism entirely. 

Make them illegal to illusion as well, custom coloring regardless. 

Cure balances? uh sure I guess. (just bloat though really imo)

Wielded items? Do you need to know that every prompt?  Just have that packet sent when wielding/unwielding.